Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? - Gaming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? (21380 Views)

Poll: Your preferred next generation console?

Sony Ps3: 50% (47 votes)
Nintendo Wii: 18% (17 votes)
Xbox 360?: 31% (29 votes)
This poll has ended

Easy Way To Downgrade Sony PS3 / :: Brand New Sony PS3 Super Slim 250GB :: / Official Nintendo Wii Softmod Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by Badman888(m): 2:16am On Feb 25, 2007
the main answer to this argument is that everyone would use facts to support the console they have or they love as easy as that. and it dosent mean because they use adults in comercials look at the title of games that have been released and all that am not hating on wii i just dont like it and i feel we re free to like what we like,
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by dblock(m): 8:24am On Feb 25, 2007
that's quite true
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by dakmanzero(m): 12:22am On Feb 26, 2007
yeah badman, were free to like/not like what we want, but just because we dont like something doesnt mean we should misrepresent the facts about it.

you said the wii has a younger target audience. I disagree. whether or not you like it is your opinion, but the target audience is NOT a matter of opinion, its a matter of fact, and the wii is NOT targeted at the kiddies like a fisher price toy.

Anyway, the point is not that they used adults in the ads- the point is that the people they used in the ads are *not* typical 'hardcore' gamers for the most part (ie male 18-34) but are people you most likely will not associate with game playing- middle aged men, old people, housewives, little girls, adolescent girls.

Did u notice the few times they showed a 'hardcore' dude he was sitting alone playing red steel (a first person shooter) or a sports game. Obviously the ads are meant to show the target demographic, and it is most definitely not the under-twelves.

Wii is aimed at the generation of gamers who may end up becoming lapsed gamers because they are outgrowing their hobby. I have a stack of ps2 games i have never put into my ps2 even once. Just today I aquired yet another game i may neever play (ff12 on ps2). I just keep telling myself 'when i have time' but there's never time. Thats because most of the time i'm working, or dont have up to 2 hrs to kill at a time (so i end up playing something i can drop easily, like need for speed carbon, which i have finished by the way, ) or there is a girl/woman or someone else that isnt 'hardcore' nearby and i cant bore them by decapitating heads over and over in God of War.

Wii is aimed at people like me. I havent seen the game I'm looking for yet on it, but I'm sure that if it will appear on any console, it will be wii. That game is a simple one that i can teach anyone to play in 2 minutes, is fun to play for 2-4 people, does not alienate the female and elderly with death, blood and boobs, and can be played for 20 minutes at a time. Most wii games fall into this category already, but I'm waiting for the one that appeals to me *personally*. Once it shows up I'll probably buy a wii and that game alone and be done with it.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by Badman888(m): 12:44am On Feb 26, 2007
Dont get me wrong what i actually meant is that most of the games that would be released would be more suitable for the younger genration like old classic games like zelda mario and all that, of course they are lot of games for adults as well as the commercials.

Another thing about the wii is the price it is really cheap compared to ps3 and 360, thats another thing that would attract more people to buy it than ps3 as in how many peeps would want to spend $600 on a game and in the Uk its goin to cost about $800 when u can buy a game with relatively good graphics for $250
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by texazzpete(m): 9:32am On Feb 26, 2007
If it's about appealing to older gamers, the Wii wins hands down! loads of people are reporting the Wii's a massive success in family reunions, and old folks homes have Wii's installed. apparently the old guy love Wii Bowling and tennis. try getting a 70 year old man to play God of War grin

Recently a TV show host played Wii tennis with Serena Williams and they both had loads of fun, wish i stil had the links to the video
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by c0dec(m): 1:22am On Feb 27, 2007
@dmz
shun! those games aint mature in my eyes. enjoy sha.

the wii is quite an addictive console no doubt. we've have one in my office lounge and it's wii bowling is quite popular with the coders, though i prefer wii golf (even though i hate real golf). also played a bit of zelda but wasn't that impressed (story-wise). it's still typical zelda with new controls.

as per the PS3 backward compatibility, i dont even know why they bothered in the first place. it's obviously cheaper not installing emotion engine chips in the PS3 and with all the cores the PS3 has, you'd think they go the emulation route like much like the 360. oh well. . . i might have to cop me a US PS3 anyway. a couple of US PS2 games i still want to play.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by Gamine(f): 5:38pm On Feb 27, 2007
Nintendo For Laif cool
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by gbadex1(m): 4:15pm On Feb 28, 2007
Bleep all consoles!!

Ayo Opon and Ludo for life!!!
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by dakmanzero(m): 8:21pm On Mar 14, 2007
gbade. this ayo opon joke got stale last month

c0dec:

they bothered because in case you havent been paying attention, sony has simply been attempting to blindly replicate the ps2 success story without bothering to look at the much different gaming landscape of today.

they know the ps2 succeeded because of dvd playback and ps1 compatibility. It was a combination ps1 and dvd player at the time when both devices were in ridiculously high demand.

unfortunately today, the whole bluray shindig is beyond the reach pof most people, most people dont know about, want or care about HD, even in shops HDTVs are advertised with enormous blurry standard def video. Here at the palms they have a ps3 on display with a huge 42 inch tv in standard def mode! As a result, it makes more sense today to simply buy a ps2 than buy the bluray-playing ps2.

Hence the low relevance of ps2 backwards compatibility.

Microsoft were much smarter. They realised that with emulation they could support the biggest hits, thus preserving the brand, but ultimately interest gamers in the NEW generation of games. Only now is sony catching on. Microsoft were also smart not to try to include HD playback, as they knew the environment was MUCH different from the one where the ps2 ruled.

finally, remember the ps2 had zero software support when it launched, sporting only a handful of rubbish games and ports, usually inferior dreamcast ports. It still succeeded. Idiot sony thought it would happen again, so they didnt bother to concentrate where it REALLY mattered, ie games for the ps3, hoping that ps2 bc and bluray playback would keep us mesmerised till they got their act together. Of course it didnt work, and today the gaming press is all 'gears of war' and 'wii sports'. What does ps3 have? motorstorm. great.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by c0dec(m): 2:51pm On Mar 15, 2007
"dakmanzero":

and today the gaming press is all 'gears of war' and 'wii sports'. What does ps3 have? motorstorm. great.

PS3 now has LittleBigPlanet!

uhm. . . did any of you guys follow GDC at all? PS3 is looking stronger now. "PS3 home" completely blows Wii Miis away! but i'm not entirely sure that system will work flawlessly.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by mrmetoo(m): 4:34pm On Mar 16, 2007
yeah GDC '07. ps3 really showed their stuff. Its really good for sony. I own a 360 so I was all for ps3 is a waste of money and blah blah but they are really showing the goods. The linux os, the new home. Little Big Planet looks AWESOME OMG!!! Even if you think its for kids (which i don't) its so creative. The showing of the ps3 at the convention made it seem like microsoft would be biting their nails. It almost makes it seem like they released the 360 a yr too early for real. I hope the 360 hasn't shown us half of what it has to offer yet if not in about 2yrs its just going to be gathering dust in a corner of your room while u play ur ps3.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by mrmetoo(m): 4:52pm On Mar 16, 2007
ps 3 is finally showing us the next gen gaming experience, the wii has done that, in their own lil way, with their controller. Right now I'm putting 360 at the bottom position because all they have shown is "we can make your games look better" but i've not still been blown away with anything i've seen so far. I know "Gears" is a good game but for that to be the best they've had to offer on a "next gen console" is not good enuf right about now. I literally switched my views about this consoles 3 days ago when i started following the game developer's convention. Microsoft pls for the sake of 360 owners like me worldwide show us u have more to offer. You can check out the coverage of the GDC '07 on www.gametrailers.com. I really didn't see anything there for the 360
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by dakmanzero(m): 7:42pm On Mar 19, 2007
hmmm. ps3home looks good, but beware- it's an online service and demos of such are never an indication of the final experience.

Sony may not have the network architecture/technology to make it all happen. Also, when you put on your ps3, are you ready to start lounging around a wannabe 'second life' or are you looking to play some games? sometimes simply navigating menus on xbox live isnt fast enough talkless of trudging around in some virtual world.

Pshome also doesn't launch real online games just yet. I wouldn't hold my breath for this.

The ps3 still needs some serious work before it can become a real contender. Next christmas will decide this battle. If sony doesnt have some serious buzz by then, the big buys will be 360s (riding on halo3 hype) and wiis, with playstation getting a 'yesterday's news' tag added to its name, liek what happened to nintendo with n64.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by echowords(m): 12:08am On Mar 28, 2007
Sony should beta buckle up, cause if they dont drop something hot before september,
They should forget about beating 360 to this race.

halo 3, damn. its so going to breck another game sales record.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by c0dec(m): 8:55am On Mar 28, 2007
how much is halo 3 gonna cost again?
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by realmajid(m): 4:16am On Apr 07, 2007
More bad news for sony, for they just lost DMC 4 EXCLUSIVITY and rumors hav it that they may also lose MGS4 EXLUSIVITY as well. Looks like these developers are finding hard to resist microsoft's fat wallet these days.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by echowords(m): 11:43pm On Apr 07, 2007
Nah just read somewhere that MGS4 is exclusively for PS3. Bleep Kojima,metal gear is a dead series anyway
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by mrmetoo(m): 5:49am On Apr 09, 2007
MGS is exclusive to the playstation but Kojima is going to develop games for the xbox 360
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by echowords(m): 12:05am On Apr 10, 2007
I don't think kojima has anything hotter than MGS. i wonder what kind of games he will make for 360.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by mrmetoo(m): 4:44am On Apr 10, 2007
yeah I wonder too. He said he didn't want MGS to be on the xbox 360 because he likes being the first at everything and that the MGS concept was already available on the 360. So I hope he can come out with something fresh and better than MGS
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by spikyn: 4:17pm On Apr 27, 2007
Well. Where are we now?

Ken Kutaragi just resigned/got fired.

Sony needs to cut jobs.

Blu-Ray has picked up but the PS3 hasn't.

XBox360/XBox/Microsoft Game Division is bleeding billions but XBox Live is the final word in online console gaming.

Nintendo profits jump 77%

Almost 6m Wiis sold in 5 months

We are UNITED!!

For this generation I vote Nintendo 40% market share; Microsoft and Sony will pick the remaining in whatever ratio they can, whatever happens sha profit will never elude the House of 'Tendo!

Peace!
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by dakmanzero(m): 1:13pm On Apr 28, 2007
Yeah it seems like a bad time for sony.

But we should still wait. The crowds that own ps2's have not yet started buying hdtvs. for now they arent buying either 360 OR ps3

have u played ANY standard def console on an HDTV? ps2, wii, xbox, all UGLY and HORRIBLE

if the price of hdtvs falls, then we may see a mass exodus to the ps2 by the 'masses'

simply because all they know is the word'playstation'

however if hd doesnt catch on, playstation may be doomed for sure.

microsoft was smart not to commit 100% to the HD thing. They committed 50% to hd and 50% to broadband. It seems the broadband explosion happened but the hd one didnt. So for now, MS is the undisputed leader of online gaming. Not even wii comes close. (online)
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by echowords(m): 6:54pm On Apr 29, 2007
Hey DM, I am still not able to go online(xboxlive) with my xbox360 undecided any help ??.

@Topic
If Sony's online service "pshome" accommodates online gaming services to nigeria.i will probably buy a PS3.
By the way has anyone experienced this problem with the 360.It seems the console wreack Cds useless after a few
hours of gameplay (ie 10hrs).First time it happened i thought someone scratched the CD.but after playing a DVD,when i brought it out,the samething.deep round marks.I checked wikipedia for a solution,and it seems thousands are complaining about this.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by echowords(m): 10:00am On Apr 30, 2007
saw this somewhere.

Nintendo Fanboys - Extremely Elitist, general attitude, "We were here first, so we're the best".

Sony Fanboys - Extremely quick to flip and hypocritical, first it's "Who cares about graphics? We have game-play!" and now suddenly it's "OMG! Do you see our awesome graphics!? We rock!".

Microsoft Fanboys - Very aggressive and quickest to go to other people's boards to either shout how dominant their system is or shout how much better that game would be on their system.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by dakmanzero(m): 5:53pm On May 01, 2007
all you need to do is make sure you have a direct connection to the net from your xbox. What ISP do you use and are you trying to conenct from home?

live is 100% Active in nigeria, and you ca access all silver features like demos and live arcade games no sweat, plus onlin leaderboards and achievements. unfortunately online gaming is too laggy to be practical- its rubbish no matter how fast your link is. Some people say reltel has low latency links sha, gottA try it our someday

if your 360 is scratching cds, make sure you do these 2 things:

1) NEVER use your 360 on its side, as a rule. Just DO NOT, EVER. mount it flat like a normal console
2) dont leave your cds in the drive. eject when you are done

Ive had doa4 since i got the 360, and gears of war since nov last year. both cds are in pristine condition no single scratch. My friend next door had problems till we researched and discovered the side-mounting thing.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by OhGrey(m): 2:03pm On May 07, 2007
Please can someone analyse the pros and cons of upgrading from a PS2 to a PS3 in naija considering the factor of pirated games. Also has the backward compatibility issue been sorted out yet? Thanks
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by dakmanzero(m): 2:42pm On May 09, 2007
ol boy

he hard o

no more new ps2 games are coming out o. But ps3 will not play pira, even ps2 pira, plus u have to worry about ntsc,pal, etc.

As a naija gamer the free lunch aint here yet,   but if u have over 50,000 to spend on game u are already a big boi and can afford origio now, haba

update: the wii has been chipped inside out. Not region free, but pira enabled.
ps3 still going strong.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by spikyn: 4:58pm On May 10, 2007
DMZ's on the mark and I tend to agree with him on several issues.

Actually there are still lotsa games coming out on PS2. The Wii is probably like the Gamecube never be properly pirated but I hear Codemasters are working on a FreeLoader for it. There is a version of the Gamecube FreeLoader that makes the Wii region-free for Gamecube games.

HDTV hasn't caught on because in many cases you really don't want to see what your favourite stars look like in HD. The level of detail can be very unflattering (pimples, freckles etc) but really for now it's all about price and Nintendo can always release a HD version of the Wii and call it Wii-Lite or Wii-HD or something, LOL

grin

Much Love
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by realmajid(m): 2:17pm On May 14, 2007
Are u guys saying that one can connect his/her xbox 360 to any standard cafe and have access to xbox live maketplace?How can one get microsoft points in Nigeria in order to purchase demos and other stuffs from Xboxlive marketplace.

As for hooking your xbox360 to a pc monior, you can order for a HD VGA AV cable online.
This is the cheapest way to get HD visuals(up to 720p) if you have a pc monitor with a VGA input port.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by dakmanzero(m): 3:00pm On May 15, 2007
connecting through a cafe will be tricky unl;ess you know the cafe owners and they let you plug directly to the internet, bypassing their own local server.

Any direct internet connection will be better.

You cant get points directly: you need to get someone abroad to buy the scratch cards and send you the numbers (they are just like recharge cards)

I have succesfully used live with starcomms and starcomms evdo. On starcomms,i downloaded many trial games from live arcade, and with the help of a friend purchased licenses for geometry wars and DOOM. On evdo i got demos for practically every game i could be bothered to check out- beware most are above 500megs
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by goldieloc(m): 10:37pm On May 15, 2007
i vouch 4 xbox 360 anytime anyday and anywhere, u cant beat it.
Re: Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii Or Xbox 360? by realmajid(m): 4:17pm On May 19, 2007
It's good news that xboxlive marketplace can be accessed from Nigeria. The bad news though is that Starcomms doesn't operate in KD where I stay. So i guess i've got to start looking for "cafe connections". I wonder if live works on telephone dial-up connection.To me, missing out on xboxlive is like missing half of what xbox 360 has to offer.
There has been lots of complaint about the poor xbox 360 ac power supply. Apart from the fact that it is expensive, i heard it's also scarce. so what can a 360 owner do after his power pack get broken.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Fly Microsoft Flight Stimulator (fsx) Online And Earn 100 Dollars Monthly / PlayStation 3 hacking and Game Installation Services / 10 Video Games That Were Doomed To Fail But Ultimately Surprised Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.