Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses (1027 Views)

Murray-Bruce Cruises On Small Boat To Get To His Constituency (Photos) / Sule Lamido Sets Eye On Presidency / What Are The Three Arms Of Government And Their Symbols Of Authority? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 02, 2013
Ever since the upgrading of enugu airport to international standard,there has been a series of demolitions of stalls along major ways in enugu. Today have seen d demolition of stalls around the mall and several places. The government of enugu state has also removed bustops along some major roads in an attempt to curb traffic jam. To add insult to injury, the state government has announced a total ban on Keke napep from enugu and claiming to replace it with a better,attractive version of d tricycle (which no one has seen). My thought was that the airport was a blessing to eastern region but it has brought the death of so many small business owners. Please, someone should let Sullivan know that he's hurting his people
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by Oshiite: 7:36pm On Oct 02, 2013
The most annoying one is the bus stop at ogui junction,u have to trek to otigba junction before u see a bus stop,that is very very unfair, i v always known sullivan for always been fair and just but this one tire me,am sure he is not aware of these over zealous attitude by his men
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by malc619(m): 7:44pm On Oct 02, 2013
Sullivan runs an elitist Government...

Sullivan hates poor people....

grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by manny4life(m): 7:52pm On Oct 02, 2013
When the leaders lack vision and knowledge, the people perish.
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 02, 2013
The price we have to pay for an international airport undecided
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by Ozonna(m): 8:19pm On Oct 02, 2013
Oshiite: The most annoying one is the bus stop at ogui junction,u have to trek to otigba junction before u see a bus stop,that is very very unfair, i v always known sullivan for always been fair and just but this one tire me,am sure he is not aware of these over zealous attitude by his men

So buses no longer stop @ ogui junction? I guess its cos of the traffic hold-up that's caused by buses @ that area @times.
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by Ikengawo: 8:32pm On Oct 02, 2013
What nigerian governors don't realize is these small shops provide the economic base of nigeria weather they like it or not. When you get rid of them, the place will be 'cleaner' but at what cost? staggering unemployment and little to no economic activity. I think one mistake owerri made was banning these shops, and okada. The city is cleaner but the economy slower and less vibrant

this is why Abuja will collapse without federal funding, it has no real economy and cities are trying to emulate it's model not realizing they're not getting the funds Abuja does to keep Abuja alive.
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 02, 2013
if you cant adapt

GO

BACK

TO

YOUR
VILLAGE! grin

1 Like

Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by Ikengawo: 8:36pm On Oct 02, 2013
^jobless
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 02, 2013
Ikengawo: ^jobless
you obviously missed the sarcasm, so i'll excuse you.
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by Afam4eva(m): 8:59pm On Oct 02, 2013
I did not support this when Fashola did it and will not support it now. Not because the governors don't have something good in mind but because of how they're going about it. I think Chime should make a plan for these people before putting them out of business. Government should have a human face.
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by Ikengawo: 9:11pm On Oct 02, 2013
The best way to deal with this is the set quality control standards on the operators in business right now and use the money you will waste building new facilities to suppliment their retraining and adaptation.
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by manny4life(m): 9:11pm On Oct 02, 2013
INNO18: you obviously missed the sarcasm, so i'll excuse you.

He really did grin grin
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by ChimaAdeoye: 9:16pm On Oct 02, 2013
liberty300: Ever since the upgrading of enugu airport to international standard,there has been a series of demolitions of stalls along major ways in enugu. Today have seen d demolition of stalls around the mall and several places. The government of enugu state has also removed bustops along some major roads in an attempt to curb traffic jam. To add insult to injury, the state government has announced a total ban on Keke napep from enugu and claiming to replace it with a better,attractive version of d tricycle (which no one has seen). My thought was that the airport was a blessing to eastern region but it has brought the death of so many small business owners. Please, someone should let Sullivan know that he's hurting his people

Shebi na the same una wey talk say Enugu needs to clean itself up to host International airport.

How else will the Governor clean up the city and make it a decent world class city if he allows illegal shanty kiosks in unsightly places and rickety rickshaw to ply Enugu streets in the name of taxis. Those Rickshaws should be sold to Okada riders in Anambra where they are still allowed. grin
No talk say na me tell you o!

1 Like

Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by Engineer96(m): 9:16pm On Oct 02, 2013
That is Nigerian governors for you.
They don't think of their citizens that purportedly voted them into power.
You can imagine chasing away all these petty traders even those that are not at or close to highways like those at ESBS bus-stop being chased around as if they are doing illegal businesses.
Yet Sullivan never one day thought of chasing those ladies that stand at Otigba juction at night away.
That of ogui junction is very bad because it serves as a major link and bus-stop for those coming from Ebonyi state, Emene, etc.
These people have to travel either to polo or trek to Otigba which is very bad.
Self serving leaders.
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by cashkid18(m): 9:43pm On Oct 02, 2013
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by manny4life(m): 10:12pm On Oct 02, 2013
Chima_Adeoye:

Shebi na the same una wey talk say Enugu needs to clean itself up to host International airport.

How else will the Governor clean up the city and make it a decent world class city if he allows illegal shanty kiosks in unsightly places and rickety rickshaw to ply Enugu streets in the name of taxis. Those Rickshaws should be sold to Okada riders in Anambra where they are still allowed. grin
No talk say na me tell you o!

At times, people like you need to shut up if you have nothing worthy to say. You had to bring Anambra into your rant, even if it's allowed in Anambra, is Anambra the only state out of 36 states allowing it? What you seek will backfire on you...Mpama.
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by geeez: 10:15pm On Oct 02, 2013
Just imagining what the comments here would have been like if BRF had done this

So many people will be judged by their comments on Nairaland at Heaven's Gate
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by manny4life(m): 10:17pm On Oct 02, 2013
geeez: Just imagining what the comments here would have been like if BRF had done this

So many people will be judged by their comments on Nairaland at Heaven's Gate

Almost everyone here has criticized the move as being unfair, so whether it's Chime or BRF, the comments will remain unchanged.
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by AZeD1(m): 10:31pm On Oct 02, 2013
How the hell is Insincere 9gerian missing from this thread? If it was Fashola that did this same thing, the dude would have written an epistle on how Fashola hates poor people. Now he is missing in action when it concerns his state!!!
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by ChimaAdeoye: 12:47am On Oct 03, 2013
INNO18: if you cant adapt

GO

BACK

TO

YOUR
VILLAGE! grin

That nah Yeruba anthem !
Re: Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses by ChimaAdeoye: 1:19am On Oct 03, 2013
manny4life:

At times, people like you need to shut up if you have nothing worthy to say. You had to bring Anambra into your rant, even if it's allowed in Anambra, is Anambra the only state out of 36 states allowing it? What you seek will backfire on you...Mpama.

Bro,
Nakwa echeki !

I love Peter Obi's sterling service and achievements in Anambra o, and i thank him for bringing civility and real development to the state in spite of ruling a most difficult state. But on this issue of Okada, he completely got it wrong! And surprisingly on this Okada issue, he has been as stubborn as Ngige used to be to suggestions from well meaning members of the public

Seriously, Peter Obi needs to ban Okada in Anambra! He could give a timeline when operators must upgrade their bikes into Keke Napep!
Yes, Keke Napep is a much better choice. Have you been to Onitsha general hospital orthopedic ward to see how Okada people have been maiming both young and old. have you ever worn expensive jewelry like gold necklace or earring and walk on foot in upper Iweka after coming down from a bus? Those petty thieves on okada will rush you and simply rush and snatch the chain off your neck or ear lobe! Peter Obi's response to the high crime committed with Okada was to ban high capacity engine bikes!!!

I heard someone say it will create unemployment and worsen poverty to ban Okada! Well,for the same amount of fuel a motorcycle will carry one passenger, Keke Napep will carry three comfortably and safely! Yes, Keke Napep is a little more expensive than okada, but you can imagine the multiplier effect on the finances of the rider eventually. It is like owning a real taxi and paying the fuel requirement of a motorcyclist.

Besides, criminals have continued to use Okada to make a quick get away after a robbery or even simply snatch your mobile phone and just disappear. India is one country that knows how to manage poverty with dignity. That is why they banned Okada (Motorcycle taxi) a very long time ago and replaced it with the rickshaw aka Keke Napep. Why shouldn't Peter Obi upgrade our state too and decree that for the purposes of mass transit,only Keke Napep is a lawful vehicle to transport Anambra people. Haven't enough people being maimed or robbed yet?

When it comes to providing "enabling environment" for a good quality of life, Chime is millions of miles ahead of Obi. Mind you I'm originally from Anambra o! Obi is concerned with just providing the facility where there is none and Chima will provide the facility,but with great style and taste.If a situation where one must sit down arises, Obi is like a man giving you a wooden stool to sit and Chime is like giving you a comfortable leather chair to relax in.They both solved the problem,but one solved it with style and dignity. Apart from the Onitsha stock exchange building, look at other buildings built by Obi, including the New Five Star Hotel being built in GRA Onitsha and the secretariat and look at Chime's building and his secretariat. The only reason i still support Obi until tomorrow is that he has a deep knowledge of what needs to be done to tackle hunger,poverty and general lack of development, but he will just build the square structures needed without any regard to aesthetics. grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Plane Crash Conveying Agagu's Corpse And His Family Members Has Crashed / SHINA RAMBO: Former Bandit Who Terrorised South-west Nigeria In The 1990s / Tukur Expresses Shock Over Faction's Defection To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.