Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,771 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

My Baby Just Wont Eat - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Baby Just Wont Eat (6440 Views)

My 9month Old Wont Eat Am Gonna Run Mad. / My 9month Old Wont Eat Am Gonna Run Mad. / Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Baby Just Wont Eat by kendraloops(f): 8:10pm On Oct 02, 2013
I'm trying to wean my 6month old baby. I started early last month n have tried all sorts of food. I'm so worried because i have to travel later this month, the journey's gonna be very tedious so carrying him along is not an option.
I've tried ogi, lactogen, nutrend, egg, sma, so many otthers but he simply won't eat. What do you advice pls?
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by bigtt76(f): 8:36pm On Oct 02, 2013
Do you mix the pap with say ground cray fish, agidi with ogbono soup? Might be helpful.
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by kendraloops(f): 9:51pm On Oct 02, 2013
Yea I mix it with crayfish, milk, soya meal thingy too. He simply won't open his mouth when he sees food coming.
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by parismarc: 10:09pm On Oct 02, 2013
Try giving him multivitamin and allow him to be very hungry before you feed him.

When he's hungry,he won't reject food.
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by mysticgal(f): 10:20pm On Oct 02, 2013
^^^i agree with you,try giving him fruits first lemme say orange,pineapple they stimulate hunger,and please just be patient oh he will eat wink
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by kendraloops(f): 10:36pm On Oct 02, 2013
If it wasn't for the fact that I'll be traveling soon, I don't mind him nursing till he's 4 years old sef. I'll really love him to start before I travel. My heart would be so broken wherever I am knowing he's not feeding well.
Many thanks for the tips on oranges n multivitamins, I'll try that.
Exclusive b.reast feeding is not so advisable after all, abi?

2 Likes

Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by Nobody: 12:33am On Oct 03, 2013
Buy a bre.ast pump and pump bottles of milk for him
Looks like your baby will not drink formula and he is too young for regular milk
Bre.ast milk can be refrigerated safely for 3 days and frozen for months

Pump bre.ast milk and store them in small clear 3 or 4 ounce containers
You may have to start pumping now to make enough to last him the length of time you will be away
Babies who are on bre.ast milk solely may have a hard time adjusting to the bottle so get soft nipp.les,when he sees the taste is the same,he will drink it.
It is wise to start introducing the bottle feeding before you go on your journey

Some women have a hard time pumping milk,I was one of them so I quit trying but then again I used a manual pump
Get an electric pump,they are better and give you more milk
I know people who used it
I have a colleague that would pump in her office at lunchtime so all the milk her baby in the daycare drank for about 9 months was her milk.
I don't know how easily you can get breast pumps in Nigeria
That will be my advise

I have a child that didn't drink any formula at all,he just wouldn't ,he went straight from bre.ast milk to regular milk when he turned nine months.
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by Nobody: 12:38am On Oct 03, 2013
bigtt76: Do you mix the pap with say ground cray fish, agidi with ogbono soup? Might be helpful.

Are you kidding me?
All these things inside akamu
Add ngwo ngwo ( peppersoup )too
We are talking about a baby not a senior citizen in a nursing home

1 Like

Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by Nobody: 12:44am On Oct 03, 2013
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by Nobody: 12:53am On Oct 03, 2013
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by Nobody: 12:56am On Oct 03, 2013
chaircover: baby with the erratic nepa I wouldn't advise that she freezes breast milk sad

53 years and we cant give babies an opportunity to have their mums thawed frozen milk cry

@poster how long are you away for?

The problem with babies bless them is that they are programmed to have a higher resolve to go without food more than you the mother can bear. There was a time my daughter existed on only yoghurt's. I nearly went mental, but people told me that she will grow out of it and she did

have you tried introducing the breast milk into a bottle with a nipple shaped teat? you see once baby starts taking a bottle, then you can add anything into that bottle. I know its not advisable and health workers frown at it, but if that is the only way you are goimg to get nutrition into your baby while you are away, then so be it

Almost everyone in Nigeria has a generator
She can do it
If she is going away for 3 or 4 days they can be left in the refrigerator only
I don't see any other options
If the baby will only drink brea.st milk,she has no option but to pump brea.st milk and keep while she travels or take the baby and a nanny with her
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by Nobody: 12:58am On Oct 03, 2013
chaircover:

osisi mind yourself ooooooo
I wasnt reading your post right and I saw peppersoup
I thought you were recommending peppersoup in pap and I even believed it for a second embarassed grin

Lemme go to bed jare before I start seeing triple on NL grin

Hehehehe
Goodnight jare
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by kendraloops(f): 7:23am On Oct 03, 2013
I'll be away for 3 or 4 days
@babyosisi, tnks 4 ur advice but I'm doubting if that freezing stuff would work cos just like chaircover said, the ppwer supply is erratic. We do put on our gen but not all thru the nite or for a long while cos of where we stay, its not allowed by the Vigilante/landlord association (security concerns).
@chaircover, God bless u for ur advice but u don't know my lil bros. Anything he sees coming towards his mouth sends him into a screaming mode. I'll look out for the tip-shaped teat like u said. If he accepts a bottle, I'll be so relieved.
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by bellong: 7:31am On Oct 03, 2013
Let me stay tuned in here to learn. Though my baby eats anything that can enter his mouth except from feeding bottle. He prefers you give him food with spoon since he sees us using spoon to eat.... grin grin grin
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 03, 2013
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 03, 2013
First option,

put baby food in his bottle, sing And clap for him while trying to feed him. After a while, he will be hungry and eat his food. let your folks do it for you.

second option,(emergency) grin

Start giving him pap in a plate. Call all your loved ones to sing and shout like that their voices rises more than your baby's voice grin.

They can use old tin of can to make a drum, hit loud while you feed your baby.

If he opens his mouth to cry, put the pap sharply and sing louder, he will think there is war coming and he will remain silent and swallow his food grin. Works like magic, no be Naija pikin again?

After 2 days he will have the taste of pap even in his dream. Don't put it in a bottle o, use plate!

After, it's easier to transit to real food.

Watch out for choking, that's where experience comes in!

Let your folks do it, if you do it, the smell of your b reast milk will be strong for him to resist.

3 Likes

Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by kendraloops(f): 8:45am On Oct 03, 2013
Amen, tnx soooo much.
Travelling with a nanny n d baby is out of it cos I'm traveling to the core north to gather info for a research, I stay down south. I've been stalling cos of him but I can't delay anymore. I guess I'll just have to pump b.reast milk and store but using a manual pump will be tedious as I don't have access to an electric pump.
If I put d milk in the freezer n it thaws due to power outage, is it safe to allow it freeze again when power returns or its gone bad already?
Sorry I'm disturbing u oo, na JJC I be.
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by thorpido(m): 8:46am On Oct 03, 2013
Try to feed your baby from a cup or small bowl rather than a bottle if you can.
The paediatric health professionals frown at the use of bottles.It's been shown to precipitate diarrhoea.
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by kendraloops(f): 9:21am On Oct 03, 2013
Chillisauce: First option,

put baby food in his bottle, sing And clap for him while trying to feed him. After a while, he will be hungry and eat his food. let your folks do it for you.

Start giving him pap in a plate. Call all your loved ones to sing and shout like that their voices rises more than your baby's voice grin.

If he opens his mouth to cry, put the pap sharply and sing louder, he will think there is war coming and he will remain silent and swallow his food grin. Works like magic, no be Naija pikin again?

After 2 days he will have the taste of pap even in his dream. Don't put it in a bottle o, use plate!

Let your folks do it, if you do it, the smell of your b reast milk will be strong for him to resist.
Very hilarious!!!!!! I was laughing so hard, I had to read it out to hubby who joined in also. Thanks a lot.
I really do love ur suggestions,they seem tried n tested. Let me see how I can make musicians out of my hubby n MIL, twud be nice watching them display.

1 Like

Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by kendraloops(f): 9:29am On Oct 03, 2013
thorpido: Try to feed your baby from a cup or small bowl rather than a bottle if you can.
The paediatric health professionals frown at the use of bottles.It's been shown to precipitate diarrhoea.
Me too I don't like the idea of feeding bottle but the challenge is getting him to open his mouth for the spoon. Donno who taught him but when he cried earlier n we shoved a spoonful in his mouth, he keeps his mouth shut when a spoon's approaching his mouth. He has no option, he'll just have to adjust while I'm gone.
Yes can they give him glucose in case he refuses food?
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by mysticgal(f): 10:12am On Oct 03, 2013
abeg if he dosent conform,there's okpa woman down the street,he can eat it while you're goneangry,btw i have never heard if putting crayfish inside akamuundecided
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 03, 2013
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by smartmom(f): 10:56am On Oct 03, 2013
My dear new mother, I feel your pain but for the sake of the next round, its always better to gradually introduce new foods from the 4th month not wait till they are 6 months. How long will you be away? when do you leave ie how soon?
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by Nobody: 11:01am On Oct 03, 2013
After the morning pap, feed on request.

Steps to follow in case of emergency.

Put baby on your laps

Put baby right hand behind your back, use your left arm to hold in place.

Baby head rest On your left fore arm.
Use same left hand to hold his left hand. I call this the clip method grin

Keep the pap plate far where his leg won't touch it when he starts screaming and kicking.
Take the pap with your right hand while singing...take the spoon closer to his mouth.

Most times he would shut his mouth, use your laps to rock him or touch under his feet to make him uncomfortable, s/he will then complain by crying or opening his mouth...put the food immediately and start your drum beating, singing and screaming too.

Your baby won't hear his own voice sef and will be wondering what's going on. Thereby swallowing what's In his mouth maybe to complain or be more alert.

After, three days of trying at least once a day, he will adjust next time he sees the spoon coming, he knows he won't win the war. cheesy

Like I said, use pap. It's smooth and have less risk of choking. By the time he is bigger, he will adjust to eating other solids.

Emergency o.

Otherwise, follow procedure of giving bit by bit.

My own babies I follow this emergency ones and they are doing great...no time to select food for mummy. Dem never start! grin

These steps works effectively in giving medicine too. wink

1 Like

Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by bellong: 11:33am On Oct 03, 2013
Op,

Does your baby sit with you while you are eating?

I wouldn't know if it is a norm or just specific to me. When our baby was three month, anytime we wanted to eat, I always carry him with us to see what we eat and how we eat. This I was doing to accustom him to the eating process. By the time he became 6months, he was the one wrestling spoon from us to be fed.

The boy is 9months and 2 weeks old now, he eats anything and everything. Now, he doesn't even want us to feed him, he wants to be feeding himself... cheesy cheesy cheesy.

You can try the months of stimulating feeding for your next child and see if it will work. I only thought of doing this at the time I got concerned on how he will eat when he starts to. It worked well and I hope it can work for you.

After your journey, you can try it for the next one month.

1 Like

Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by Nobody: 11:45am On Oct 03, 2013
Chillisauce: After the morning pap, feed on request.

Steps to follow in case of emergency.

Put baby on your laps

Put baby right hand behind your back, use your left arm to hold in place.

Baby head rest On your left fore arm.
Use same left hand to hold his left hand. I call this the clip method grin

Keep the pap plate far where his leg won't touch it when he starts screaming and kicking.
Take the pap with your right hand while singing...take the spoon closer to his mouth.

Most times he would shut his mouth, use your laps to rock him or touch under his feet to make him uncomfortable, s/he will then complain by crying or opening his mouth...put the food immediately and start your drum beating, singing and screaming too.

Your baby won't hear his own voice sef and will be wondering what's going on. Thereby swallowing what's In his mouth maybe to complain or be more alert.

After, three days of trying at least once a day, he will adjust next time he sees the spoon coming, he knows he won't win the war. cheesy

Like I said, use pap. It's smooth and have less risk of choking. By the time he is bigger, he will adjust to eating other solids.

Emergency o.

Otherwise, follow procedure of giving bit by bit.

My own babies I follow this emergency ones and they are doing great...no time to select food for mummy. Dem never start! grin

These steps works effectively in giving medicine too. wink

Chei! I'm loving this method oooo! No time to sing lullaby or do plenty petting. Just carry empty basins, spoons and turn-carri, make the loudest incoherent noise ever that will make his screams seem like a joke. Lol
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by kendraloops(f): 12:24pm On Oct 03, 2013
@ bellong, he sits with us when we eat n actually casts a longing look at the food but once u bring it close to his mouth, he turns his face away smiling. He'll keep on staring at the food making you feel guilty for not giving him.
We sometimes put soup in his mouth for his taste buds to open up. I've learnt now o, no more strict exclusive for the next bby.

@ chillisauce, loooooooooooool!!!!! You no go kill person with ur methods. I actually tried something similar to what u described here. I really love ur methods. Sure ur kids wil turn out to be good musicians based on their momc's skills. Lol
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by kendraloops(f): 12:29pm On Oct 03, 2013
smartmom: My dear new mother, I feel your pain but for the sake of the next round, its always better to gradually introduce new foods from the 4th month not wait till they are 6 months. How long will you be away? when do you leave ie how soon?
I'll be away for 4 days max, I'll be leaving on 26th of dis month.
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by bellong: 1:51pm On Oct 03, 2013
kendraloops: @ bellong, he sits with us when we eat n actually casts a longing look at the food but once u bring it close to his mouth, he turns his face away smiling. He'll keep on staring at the food making you feel guilty for not giving him.
We sometimes put soup in his mouth for his taste buds to open up. I've learnt now o, no more strict exclusive for the next bby.

It is not the strict exclusive that is the cause of your baby not eating, seems he is one of those babies who pretend to hate food at their initial stage. My boy too was on exclusive breastfeeding for 6months and two weeks before we started giving food. He started eating everything almost immediately. Probably his case is different or he just like food.... cool
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by thorpido(m): 11:44pm On Oct 03, 2013
kendraloops:
Me too I don't like the idea of feeding bottle but the challenge is getting him to open his mouth for the spoon. Donno who taught him but when he cried earlier n we shoved a spoonful in his mouth, he keeps his mouth shut when a spoon's approaching his mouth. He has no option, he'll just have to adjust while I'm gone.
Yes can they give him glucose in case he refuses food?
I guess u'll have to make him cry like Chillisauce suggests and put the spoon in when he opens his mouth.You can give him glucose but it shouldn't be a substitute for food.
Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by Nobody: 6:47am On Oct 04, 2013
Mummsie, pls next time start earlier to introduce him to food. Bc of this exclusive breastfeeding, most children are very malnourished in their first one year of life which is very vital for their devp in life.
Anytime I visit hospital, nobody shows me an exclusively breastfed babies,I always know. Big heads,lean and pale bodies.(Not all b4 some will crucify me, mostly dose that refuses food and r still on breast only)
U ask d mum why is ur baby like this?
The answer" he refused to eat" and bc baby refused to eat, continue breastfeeding till like one year with no good substitute.

I actually quarreled with one mummy bc of this. Told her to do chilli method and believe me d baby is one big fine bobo now. No petting, no time.
Whenever I go for immunization, me and d nurses will be fighting cos I don't obey those their silly rules. I give water, milk and pap and with a feeding bottle. Na my pikin,simple. At d same time they will still carry my baby to demonstrate how a baby should look like. No sickness for one day. But d disadvantage is that at a yr I've already started with junior(size five) and only huggies junior fits very well. Don't even know what to do when he outgrows it.

For the person that said why crayfish in pap. Yes that was what our fore fathers used and we r still using that.
Google up nutritional value of crayfish. Pap has virtually nothing except sucrose. Babies need macroelements very well and omega 3. U will get that abundantly in crayfish.its even better when it comes natural. Substitute with fish later on.
Most time, we ladies r ready and well prepared for marriage but very few prepare for child care when they start coming. Some don't go for antinatal to learn while most of us that have access to internet don't check out stuffs on d net.
U c mummies giving a year downwards sweet to lick! If u ask, they will tell u that they normaly give them 'agbo' periodically. Especially those their children refused eating food. Bobo, ribena, sweet and all those killers that r everywhere and regretably fed govt pretended that don't exist. Feel for this generation.
(Sorry poster,needed to say this)

2 Likes

Re: My Baby Just Wont Eat by vanitty: 6:49am On Oct 04, 2013
Chillisauce: First option,

Lmao

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Some Men Run Away From Their Spouse When They Are Heavily Pregnant??? / Get 50% discount on all picture frame size this season — BuyframeNG / Meet Nyalong Ngong Deng Jalang Whose Dowry Is 500 Cows And 3 V8 Cars.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.