Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,919 members, 7,821,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? (25372 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife, Ogunwusi, Ascended Our Father Oduduwa's Throne" - Olu Of Warri / Ndigbo Originated From Egypt, Jacob’s Son Is The Father Of Nri – Monarch / Where Is Oduduwa Really From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 07, 2013
My princess are each and every Yoruba word that has convey classic meaning that are like 'classify' out of reach to everyday user to me since i opt to pay attention and be wholly devoted to them. These are the beautiful words. i am a slave of love to each, i run their errand and never imprison any in any crazy interpretations of mine.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by MetaPhysical: 8:46am On Oct 07, 2013
Ive been coming in from time to time and reading. Prexios and tpia, please keep it easy.

You each have a different style, one is emotionally driven by air and the other by fire. You should have good combustion on the discussion but unfortunately thats not the case. Dont extinguish each other's drive. You are sharing what you know with audience, you are not competing with who is authority on the subject. smiley
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Oct 07, 2013
MetaPhysical: Ive been coming in from time to time and reading. Prexios and tpia, please keep it easy.

You each have a different style, one is emotionally driven by air and the other by fire. You should have good combustion on the discussion but unfortunately thats not the case. Dont extinguish each other's drive. You are sharing what you know with audience, you are not competing with who is authority on the subject. smiley
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by tpia5: 3:32pm On Oct 07, 2013
prexios is showing his sense of humour.

we can continue with the topic now, if there's more to be said.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 07, 2013
MetaPhysical: Ive been coming in from time to time and reading. Prexios and tpia, please keep it easy.

Thank God you are back. tpia had been questioning my interpretation to wit. I don't know what to do. it's deja vu all over again, he was expectant of Jim Iyke in prexios shadow.sukeee. i am delivered by geez. i feel so much better now, the moderator has come. Welcome.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by MetaPhysical: 11:41pm On Oct 07, 2013
tpia@:
prexios is showing his sense of humour.

we can continue with the topic now, if there's more to be said.

I believe there's plenty remaining to be said on the topic.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by MetaPhysical: 11:46pm On Oct 07, 2013
prexios: Thank God you are back. tpia had been questioning my interpretation to wit. I don't know what to do. it's deja vu all over again, he was expectant of Jim Iyke in prexios shadow.sukeee. i am delivered by geez. i feel so much better now, the moderator has come. Welcome.

grin
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by tpia5: 11:50pm On Oct 07, 2013
yes, post contributions to the topic, unless there's nothing more to be said.

and remember, nobody holds a monopoly of either nairaland or knowledge.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by MetaPhysical: 2:41am On Oct 08, 2013
tpia@:
yes, post contributions to the topic, unless there's nothing more to be said.

and remember, nobody holds a monopoly of either nairaland or knowledge.

That awareness is not lost on me but thanks for the humbling reminder.

I dont want to add anything to the topic here. Im scratching my head wondering the necessity of branching out to open a new thread when the topic could have been contained in the one on Yoruba origin. Im here for "read" only but i could not help sit by and watch that back and forth without saying something.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by Nobody: 8:52am On Oct 08, 2013
I'm off to the library this morning to be back soon with rejoinder to the preambles i've given. pls lets read together 'the history of the yorubas' by samuel johnson-this is what we are to critise on this threat as experts or enthusiasts. I wish peter kaba is paying attention. and that tpia has calm down. To me, talent is not enough, metaphysical seems to have the leader's mien. leadership is earn, not given. Thanks.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by tpia5: 3:03pm On Oct 08, 2013
i think you are too sensitive, you need to stop getting so agitated over minor issues.

this is nairaland, if your views do not hold up to criticism then maybe you shouldnt post on topics you do not feel you have a grasp of, just saying.

you should be able to consistently and politely defend your contributions to a topic (as long as that's the context), if you cant then you shouldnt dabble into matters thinking a godfather should have your back.

if, however, you cant hold up in the face of scrutiny, then there are other sections where you could amuse yourself with mostly pointless chitchat, eg romance section, entertainment, etc.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by MetaPhysical: 5:36pm On Oct 08, 2013
Tpia,

Please, please, let it go.

Prexios, please pay attention to first two paragraphs, very meaningful feedback. There are hotbuttons and curveballs in Nairaland, always live and ready to go..learn how to dodge or neutralize them or simply stop posting controversial topics.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 08, 2013
All right, everyone, pardon me. Everyone is as important as the other. without tpia, we wont have ever come this far. That's what i mean by elicitor. I have call metaphisical different bad names but he never get mad at me, that's leadership trait to me that I wish to cultivate. I appreciate everyone alike, however simple appreciation should be allowed and not be thrown back on people's face over sheer angst or my idiosyncracies. Albeit, i get your drifts, dear tpia.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by tpia5: 10:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
when did the thread become about godfatherism? You can open a separate thread to proclaim metaphysical your leader, that has NOTHING to do with the subject being discussed.

lets stick to the main issue and stop all this unnecessary aggravation.

prexios, you are the one stoking the fire here, kindly desist and stop making it so personal, geez.

seems like different persons are using your id.

is it that hard to simply stick to topic? Am I not speaking in a way that can be understood?
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by PAPAAFRICA: 4:53am On Oct 09, 2013
Yall feel some type of way.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by rokkiiwazobia: 4:59pm On Jun 23, 2015
Why can't Yoruba's be black from the beginning? Why should we ascribe our culture and traditions to some white person somewhere. Which part of Yoruba culture and history is understood by Europeans? We have been black from time, deal with it. Black Africa and people weren't always this poor and wretched. Do please stop trying to brain wash us with white supremacy. Oyinbo can also mean light skinned hamitic person or an albino which I doubt any of the Orishas were.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by absoluteSuccess: 6:23pm On Jun 23, 2015
rokkiiwazobia:
Why can't Yoruba's be black from the beginning? Why should we ascribe our culture and traditions to some white person somewhere. Which part of Yoruba culture and history is understood by Europeans? We have been black from time, deal with it. Black Africa and people weren't always this poor and wretched. Do please stop trying to brain wash us with white supremacy. Oyinbo can also mean light skinned hamitic person or an albino which I doubt any of the Orishas were.
Thanks for this #bringbackmythread.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by lawani: 2:24am On Dec 17, 2015
^^Let's move farward. The Yoruba ancestors were not blacks, thats my opinion. I'm entitle to that. Meanwhile this fact was not discuss in any Yoruba tradition because Yoruba metamophoused to being blacks over a long stretch of time. If we understood 'shi' as darkened or weathered, then the word 'ako-si-bero' gave us an idea of 'wholesale blackness' that the emigrants experienced as a resault of resettlement. The veiled enigma behind the word is, Yoruba language is conscious of such change. Now to me, the word shi is my princess, if I don't adore this word, I would be incapable of conceiving the notion that Yoruba use to be non-black. i don't have the luxury of aclaiming whatever cross my mind, but the few incredible claims i holds may not have obvious anchor than to one Yoruba impounderable word and then my instinct. i can't make my reader buy my argument and i wont throw out my princess to please anyone.
How is oshi (doh doh) is poverty. Shi (mih) is peel off or uncover as in Month shi abo I uncovered the plate or O shi m o mi lara It stained me not black at all.

The only point you made that I can see was on another thread about the saying owo orisa la fi nwo aafin. We respect an albino with the respect due an orisa and many of our founding fathers were orisa. I don't understand your point about the word shi as iy does not mean black. Words for a poor man includes akuuse, otosi and etc. Poverty is ise (do mi) or oshi (do do) they don't mean black.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by lawani: 6:13am On Dec 17, 2015
Nimrod was an ancestor of the man who arrived Ife in the 7th century and was made King. Many ancient pre Mohammedan Kings in the middle East traditionally claim descent from Nimrod, that would include people like Nebuchadnezzar. Apparently a Prince or the King of 7th century Mecca arrived in Ife and was made King there. The Ifa oracle had earlier predicted his arrival.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by 2prexios: 6:22am On Dec 17, 2015
lawani:

How is oshi (doh doh) is poverty. Shi (mih) is peel off or uncover as in Month shi abo I uncovered the plate or O shi m o mi lara It stained me not black at all.

The only point you made that I can see was on another thread about the saying owo orisa la fi nwo aafin. We respect an albino with the respect due an orisa and many of our founding fathers were orisa. I don't understand your point about the word shi as iy does not mean black. Words for a poor man includes akuuse, otosi and etc. Poverty is ise (do mi) or oshi (do do) they don't mean black.

People used o ti shi to mean she has become skin burnt when I was growing up. Then bleaching seems to be the fad.

So if someone those women used to know fall into bad time and were not able to keep toning, they become blackened.

if they come around later on in their new look, once they are gone, the women start saying

'a beeri 'ya lagbaja? O ti shi!'
'shi', as used here mean blackened.

The ancient Yoruba were familiar with several skin hue, but our forebears scarcely entertained such knowledge.

Take amosun for instance, it means 'a mo sun' this means 'originally white but tanned'. Sun is burnt, isn't it?

Amo is the Opposite of Osi. Clean is mimo, it also stand for fair skin with the ancient Yoruba, whiteskin is ofun.

The Yoruba speaks of Olokun as 'amo lowo, a mo lese, a mo timo timo' Olokun belonged to white Yoruba.

The verse on Olokun in IFA was set to 'Odu Ofun', o fun is a form of 'o-fun-fun', la-fun (a richly white substant).

And from there comes efun (chalk). People with this name also reminiscent the fact of the racial diversity in Yoruba.

A good hero of the white is Ela, hence it is said efunyela, meaning the white befits Ela. Then Odubela 'black begot Ela'

As to racial diversity, Yoruba language described all shades of pigmentations known to us. We are the ones to learn.

No student teach a teacher emeritus.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by 2prexios: 6:25am On Dec 17, 2015
lawani:

People used 'o ti shi' to mean she has become skin burnt, when I was growing up. Then, bleaching seems to be the fad the in thing.

So if someone those women used to know fall into bad time and were not able to keep toning or bleaching, they become blackened.

if they come around later on in their new blackened look, once they are gone, the women start saying

The ancient Yoruba were familiar with several skin hue, but our forebears scarcely entertained such knowledge.

Take amosun for instance, it means 'a mo sun' this means 'originally white but tanned'. 'Sun' is burnt, isn't it?

Amo is the Opposite of Osi. Clean is mimo, it also stand for fair skin with the ancient Yoruba, whiteskin is ofun.

The Yoruba speaks of Olokun as 'amo lowo, a mo lese, a mo timo timo' Olokun belonged to white Yoruba.

The verse on Olokun in IFA was set to 'Odu Ofun', o fun is a form of 'o-fun-fun', la-fun (a richly white substant).

And from there comes efun (chalk). People with this name also reminiscent the fact of the racial diversity in Yoruba.

A good hero of the white is Ela, hence it is said efunyela, meaning the white befits Ela. Then Odubela 'black begot Ela'

Odu is the opposite of ela, amo is the opposite of osun, Ofun is the opposite of Ife. Ela is an admirable form of Ala.

Ala is white, as the saying goes, koni tan ninu igba osun, koma back ala ninu je. Osun is camwood as efun is chalk.

As to racial diversity, Yoruba language described all shades of pigmentations known to us. We are the ones to learn.

No student teaches a teacher emeritus. Yoruba language is a great teacher, you can't teach her, but she can teach you.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by lawani: 6:42am On Dec 17, 2015
2prexios:

People used o ti shi to mean she has become skin burnt when I was growing up. Then bleaching seems to be the fad.

So if someone those women used to know fall into bad time and were not able to keep toning, they become blackened.

if they come around later on in their new look, once they are gone, the women start saying

Take amosun for instance, it means 'a mo sun' this means 'originally white but tanned'. Sun is burnt, isn't it?

No student teach a teacher emeritus.
You are talking like a non native speaker shi (mi) is the one you are talking about and shi (doh) is the one in oshi meaning poverty. They are totally different. The Odu Ofun is talking about giving in my opinion. Ofun means giver. And Odu Ofun meji talks about Obatala who is seen as benevolent but I am not an expert. Efun is chalk, so it may mean chalk of any colour but mainly white chalk. Funfun is white. Efunyela will mean Wealth goes along with the white chalk. The white chalk represents a deity that was much reverred in the past, it may be Obatala.

That expression O ti shi used in that context have never been encountered by me. That is not a common Yoruba expression. O ti bo ra is used to mean bleaching.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by 2prexios: 7:11am On Dec 17, 2015
lawani:

You are talking like a non native speaker

I want to believe you are navigating somewhere the way you used to do. Do you know all Yoruba word in existence?

You once told me not to buy Fulani version of Yoruba history, because they were new on the plane,

only to come back with the tales of Lamurudu, (when the very person that gave Yoruba that word claimed that it came from Nimrod in the account he quoted as written by sultan bello).

I don't like clever people, put in your ideas and defend it, don't twist mine, I am not interested in being the authority, but being truthful.

shi (mi) is the one you are talking about and shi (doh) is the one in oshi meaning poverty. They are totally different. The Odu Ofun is talking about giving in my opinion. Ofun means giver. And Odu Ofun meji talks about Obatala who is seen as benevolent but I am not an expert. Efun is chalk, so it may mean chalk of any colour but mainly white chalk. Funfun is white. Efunyela will mean Wealth goes along with the white chalk. The white chalk represents a deity that was much reverred in the past, it may be Obatala.

That expression O ti shi used in that context have never been encountered by me. That is not a common Yoruba expression. O ti bo ra is used to mean bleaching.

We didn't grew up in the same neighborhood, try to assume that I know what I'm saying,

Must I validate my repertoire of Yoruba vocabulary collections from you? Must knowledge be limited to only what you know?

'shi' (do) is what I mean, (as in shimawa or ku-nkushi),

not chi, as in shiyanbola, shijuwade or eshishi, eshio! or chineke.

Please free me.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by lawani: 7:16am On Jul 05, 2016
^^Let's move farward. The Yoruba ancestors were not blacks, thats my opinion. I'm entitle to that. Meanwhile this fact was not discuss in any Yoruba tradition because Yoruba metamophoused to being blacks over a long stretch of time. If we understood 'shi' as darkened or weathered, then the word 'ako-si-bero' gave us an idea of 'wholesale blackness' that the emigrants experienced as a resault of resettlement. The veiled enigma behind the word is, Yoruba language is conscious of such change. Now to me, the word shi is my princess, if I don't adore this word, I would be incapable of conceiving the notion that Yoruba use to be non-black. i don't have the luxury of aclaiming whatever cross my mind, but the few incredible claims i holds may not have obvious anchor than to one Yoruba impounderable word and then my instinct. i can't make my reader buy my argument and i wont throw out my princess to please anyone.

The irunmales landed in Ife Oodaye maybe a million years ago or five hundred thousand years ago, I do not know but they landed as soon as Earth became habitable by land rising above the waters. This sounds like scific but it is the truth. Whether they were white or black would be determined by the climate of the portion of their homeworld where they took off from. So no one can tell for sure. Ife Oodaye an advanced civilization was destroyed ten thousand years ago and the survivors founded Ife Ooyelagbo whose successor is the Ile Ife in Nigeria today.
Re: Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? by AlvaroRios: 2:04am On Jun 22, 2022
Why was Dan Fodio's son so sure that Oduduwa came from Iraq?

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About The Efik People / Photos From The 2017 Osun Osogbo Festival / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.