Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,712 members, 7,809,699 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

The Truth About Eggs - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Truth About Eggs (30160 Views)

Cure Premature Ejaculaion And Infertility Using Quail Eggs / The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush / Effect of Eggs on Our Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About Eggs by annybliss(f): 7:53am On Oct 04, 2013
Eggs have gotten a bad rap over the last few decades. Deemed bad for the heart by health experts, they have been the subjects of criticism and scrutiny. But are our white (sometimes brown) friends really that unhealthy for us? In the last few years, numerous health organizations have been vindicating eggs' reputation. So what are we to believe; why were eggs chastised, only to be acclaimed again?\

old egg myths

It was previously thought that eggs raised blood cholesterol levels -- one of the main causes of heart disease. The yolk in a single large egg contains five grams of fat, so it was only natural for nutritionists to assume that eggs clogged up people's arteries, especially since they also contain dietary cholesterol .

Another myth was that cholesterol is fat. That is simply not true. Cholesterol is a waxy substance that resembles fat, but has little to do with it. Today, scientists know that cholesterol content in food and the cholesterol in our blood aren't as directly related as once thought. So to unravel the mystery that is the egg, one must look at cholesterol.

cholesterol

First, one has to understand that cholesterol is not necessarily bad. Humans need it to maintain cell walls, insulate nerve fibers and produced vitamin D, among other things. Second, there are two types of cholesterol: dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol . Both are important.

Dietary cholesterol is found in certain foods, such as meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, and diary products. The second type (blood cholesterol, also called serum cholesterol) is produced in the liver and floats around in our bloodstream. Blood cholesterol is divided into two sub-categories: High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL), and Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL). LDL cholesterol is considered bad because it sticks to artery walls.

What is bad, however, is the amount of LDL blood cholesterol in the body. Too much of it can cause heart problems, but scientists are now discovering that consuming food rich in dietary cholesterol does not increase blood cholesterol. At least that is what some experts believe (they are somewhat disagreeing on the matter... as usual).

Evidence showing that eating a lot of dietary cholesterol doesn't increase blood cholesterol was discovered during a statistical analysis conducted over 25 years by Dr. Wanda Howell and colleagues at the University of Arizona. The study revealed that people who consume two eggs each day with low-fat diets do not show signs of increased blood cholesterol levels.

So what does raise blood cholesterol? One of the main theories is that saturated fat does. Of the three types of fat (saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated), saturated fat raises blood cholesterol and LDL levels. It so happens that eggs contain mostly polyunsaturated fat, which can actually lower blood cholesterol if one replaces food containing saturated fat with eggs.

If you're a bodybuilder, you need eggs...

delicious, nutritious

Eggs are actually quite nutritious. They are not just fat (yolk) and protein (white). In fact, they contain a wide array of essential vitamins and minerals. Here is what's in an egg...

Vitamins
A: good for the skin and growth.
D: strengthens bones by raising calcium absorption.
E: protects cells from oxidation.
B1: helps properly release energy from carbohydrates.
B2: helps release energy from protein and fat.
B6: promotes the metabolism of protein.
B12: an essential vitamin in the formation of nerve fibers and blood cells.

Minerals
Iron: essential in the creation of red blood cells.
Zinc: good for enzyme stability and essential in sexual maturation.
Calcium: most important mineral in the strengthening of bones and teeth.
Iodine: controls thyroid hormones.
Selenium: like vitamin E, it protects cells from oxidation.
best type of protein
If that wasn't enough, egg whites contain the purest form of protein found in whole-foods. It is so high that nutritionists use them as the standard when comparing other whole-food proteins. Their "biological value" -- a measurement used to determine how efficiently a protein is used for growth -- is 93.7. Milk, fish, beef, and rice respectively have a bio value of 84.5, 76, 74.3, and 64.

The higher the value, the better the protein is absorbed. This is why many bodybuilders include eggs in their diet. When a person eats beef, for instance, all of the protein is not necessarily absorbed and used to rebuild tissue.

Protein is a complex substance, which is why bodybuilding protein supplement makers are constantly trying to refine the quality of their product and why some protein shake brands boast that their protein is made from egg whites. Having said that, each large egg contains 6.3 grams of protein.

how to eat eggs

Experts advise that despite being low in saturated fat, one should not eat more than two eggs a day on a low-fat diet. Egg yolk is mainly fat, so even though it doesn't raise blood cholesterol levels, it can cause other problems if abused.

Contaminated eggs kill up to 5000 individuals each year. One egg in 10,000 is contaminated with salmonella, so you should never eat undercooked eggs.
The proper way to cook eggs depends on the type of food served. Anything above that will leave the interior raw while burning the outside. If an egg has runny parts, it means it is still not cooked properly.

So now you know the truth about the incredible, edible egg. Once a foe, now a friend, this mighty whole-food contains many great nutrients and isn't as bad as people once thought. A great source of protein and easy to prepare, eggs are nature's golden food... if you don't eat too much of them, that is.

Visit www.treasurezone..com

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Truth About Eggs by chrystee: 5:11pm On Oct 04, 2013
@annybliss,
Thanks 4 taking time to research and enlighten us on this topic. My husband is an egg lover. He eats two eggs each day and it used to bother me because I used to associate egg consumption with high cholesterol which I heard was bad for the heart. Now I have a better understanding of the diff types of cholesterol and I now know dt the type of cholesterol gotten from eggs isn't linked to heart problems.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Eggs by kekakuz(m): 3:25pm On Oct 05, 2013
egg now does all this things

end time tinz indeed

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Eggs by demelza: 3:26pm On Oct 05, 2013
In Summary, eat eggs because they are good for your body.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Eggs by nomso27(m): 3:27pm On Oct 05, 2013
It's okay. . .egg abi ? undecided
Re: The Truth About Eggs by alienware(m): 3:30pm On Oct 05, 2013
chrystee: @annybliss,
Thanks 4 taking time to research and enlighten us on this topic. My husband is an egg lover. He eats two eggs each day and it used to bother me because I used to associate egg consumption with high cholesterol which I heard was bad for the heart. Now I have a better understanding of the diff types of cholesterol and I now know dt the type of cholesterol gotten from eggs isn't linked to heart problems.
ur husband no the scatter the house with fart ( mess )?

7 Likes

Re: The Truth About Eggs by djeezy(m): 3:31pm On Oct 05, 2013
Thanks for this thesis. I've always loved eggs and I eat it frequently. Most times I take it for breakfast. My parents would warm me incessantly that it's not good for my health and all that. Good piece.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Eggs by Madawaki01(m): 3:31pm On Oct 05, 2013
Egg?....no be d same mama nkechi egg wey i chop yesterday wey dey make me fart like chatur rammalingham?..me go neva chop egg again in my life..

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Eggs by kixo(m): 3:31pm On Oct 05, 2013
Wow!!! Knowledge is indeed powerful!!! I have acquired more knowledge about eggs.
Re: The Truth About Eggs by donkross1(m): 3:32pm On Oct 05, 2013
NICE ONE BY YOU
Re: The Truth About Eggs by strangest(m): 3:32pm On Oct 05, 2013
yeah, eat more egg and give out more FRESH AIR grin

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Eggs by alienware(m): 3:34pm On Oct 05, 2013
don kross: NICE ONE BY YOU
this dundee quote everything.

9 Likes

Re: The Truth About Eggs by kilode95(f): 3:34pm On Oct 05, 2013
Nice...

But i'm anxiously waiting for the time you guys would analyse amala, fufu , iyan, eba etc
Thank you.
Re: The Truth About Eggs by swhiss: 3:34pm On Oct 05, 2013
Life is too short to read all these terms and conditions before eating egg lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Eggs by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 05, 2013
eggs is nasty. thats eating foetus. like so like totally gross dude
Re: The Truth About Eggs by kixo(m): 3:35pm On Oct 05, 2013
Must u quote the whole page Abi r u a learner?
Re: The Truth About Eggs by SwitAyi(f): 3:36pm On Oct 05, 2013
Its ok. *going out 2 buy a crate of egg* cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Eggs by donkross1(m): 3:36pm On Oct 05, 2013
alienware: this dundee quote everything.
grin
Re: The Truth About Eggs by Havilah93(m): 3:36pm On Oct 05, 2013
2 egg-buns + 1 viju milk/lacasera, and I'm good to go.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Eggs by donkross1(m): 3:37pm On Oct 05, 2013
kixo:
Must u quote the whole page Abi r u a learner?
Yelz am a learner, wetin haffun
Re: The Truth About Eggs by Kslib(m): 3:40pm On Oct 05, 2013
Summary for lazy readers:

Make huna kontinue today shop Egg cos he good for body..
All izz well!

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Eggs by alienware(m): 3:42pm On Oct 05, 2013
Kslib: Summary for lazy readers:

Make huna kontinue to day shop Egg cos he good for body..
All izz well!
ITK ,who tell u say them no fit read ? U dey show urself ?
Re: The Truth About Eggs by swhiss: 3:44pm On Oct 05, 2013

every1 is at liberty to quote on NL...its jes dat urz is stupid undecided
Re: The Truth About Eggs by Okworigeorge(m): 3:54pm On Oct 05, 2013
kekakuz: egg now does all this things

end time tinz indeed
Every day, man is making bigger
and better fool-proof things, but
every day, nature is making bigger
and better fools. So far, I think
nature is winning.

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Eggs by chreldb(m): 3:55pm On Oct 05, 2013
annybliss:

Evidence showing that eating a lot of dietary cholesterol doesn't increase blood cholesterol was discovered during a statistical analysis conducted over 25 years by Dr. Wanda Howell and colleagues at the University of Arizona. The study revealed that people who consume two eggs each day with low-fat diets do not show signs of increased blood cholesterol levels.

Visit www.treasurezone..com

Thanks for this information OP. However this is not a licence to consume eggs or other sources of dietary cholesterol indiscriminately. Moderation still remains key.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Eggs by Slickest(m): 3:56pm On Oct 05, 2013
Na 2 dey consume egg anyhow nd 2 dey blow gas continuously in to the atmosphere...EATing and FArTing up....evidence of good living grin

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Eggs by donkross1(m): 3:58pm On Oct 05, 2013
alienware: u feck up ! U wan defend urself, abi.
shoooo
Re: The Truth About Eggs by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 05, 2013
Anything is a good thing in moderation. smiley
Re: The Truth About Eggs by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 05, 2013
Hard-boiled eggs make a quick snack if you are in a hurry or can be used to sneak protein into your salad at lunch. Adding hard-boiled eggs to your diet adds good fats to your body to keep your heart healthy. Hard-boiled eggs also pack important vitamins to help protect your eyes and keep your bones strong.

Hard-boiled eggs provide good fats called monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, or MUFAs and PUFAs. Replacing saturated and trans fats as much as possible with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats stabilizes your blood cholesterol levels and lowers your overall risk of heart disease, explains MayoClinic.com. These heart-healthy fats also regulate insulin in your blood, which keeps your blood sugar within a healthy range -- especially beneficial if you have type 2 diabetes. More than two-thirds of the fat content of hard-boiled eggs comes from good MUFAs and PUFAs.
High Protein

Hard-boiled eggs are naturally high in protein. You need protein to build muscle mass, but it also helps repair all tissues in your body and provides structure for cellular walls. Your diet should consist of 10 percent to 35 percent protein, or 50 to 175 grams for someone following a 2,000-calorie diet, according to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010. One large hard-boiled egg provides more than 6 grams of protein.
Eye Health

One of the major vitamins in eggs is vitamin A. This vitamin is a component of a protein that absorbs light in your retinas, protects membranes around the cornea and lessens your risk of night blindness. Women need 700 micrograms of daily vitamin A and men require 900 micrograms, the Office of Dietary Supplements reports. Snacking on a large hard-boiled egg adds approximately 75 micrograms of vitamin A to your diet.
Strong Bones

Hard-boiled eggs provide vitamin D to keep your bones and teeth strong. Vitamin D promotes the absorption of calcium and regulates calcium levels in your blood. This process ensures that your skeleton gets the calcium it needs for strength and structure. You need 600 international units of vitamin D each day, reports the Office of Dietary Supplements. You get about 45 international units of vitamin D from one large hard-boiled egg.
Caloric Information

One large hard-boiled egg provides nearly 80 calories. About 60 percent of the calories come from fat. Eliminate nearly all of the fat, if you want to cut back on calories, by scooping out the egg yolk. By consuming only the lean protein from the egg white, you reduce your calorie intake by more than half.

Cheers
dr Isa

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Seven Causes Of Infertility You Should Know About But Don't / Doctor With Fake UNILAG Certificate Arrested In Ogun (photo) / The Dangers Of Chewing Gum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.