Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,583 members, 7,820,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

ASUU Forced To Call Off Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Forced To Call Off Strike (839 Views)

Foreign Students Will Be Banned From Working And Forced To Leave The UK / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUP Set To Call Off Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Forced To Call Off Strike by idrezee(m): 3:10pm On Oct 04, 2013
A Lagos-based legal practitioner, Daniel Onwe, has dragged the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, before a Federal High Court in Lagos, southern Nigeria, over the lingering crisis between the two bodies which has led to the closure of public universities in the country since 1 July.

In a motion dated 30 September, 2013, Barrister Onwe is seeking an order of court to compel ASUU to call off the strike it embarked upon in protest over the unwillingness of government to implement certain aspects of the agreement they reached over the parlous state of Nigerian universities and other issues.

In a 15-paragraph affidavit filed along with the motion, Onwe is asking the court to declare that the indefinite strike embarked upon by ASUU, leading to the closure of government owned universities for three months, violates the fundamental rights of the students affected.

He argued that the continued strike action by ASUU has traumatized many students who now engage in all sorts of vices.

Onwe posited that the plight of the affected students has worsened as their contemporaries in private universities continue to attend lectures while they remain idle at home.

He urged the court to compel ASUU to open the universities for lectures to resume while their negotiation with the Federal Government continues.

No date has been fixed for hearing of the suit.http://m.naij.com/news/48851.html
Re: ASUU Forced To Call Off Strike by omegasilva: 3:35pm On Oct 04, 2013
I totally concor with d suit to redeem d hope of innocent nig. students. the judiciary as d last hope of common man should compel ASUU to end d strike.
Re: ASUU Forced To Call Off Strike by spaq: 3:42pm On Oct 04, 2013
I was even thinkin d strike's bin cald off... O ti su mi o
Re: ASUU Forced To Call Off Strike by ivcraig(m): 3:51pm On Oct 04, 2013
The title of this post is very attracting. The moment i saw it, my heart started pounding hoping to see something like "ASUU FINALLY CALL STRIKE OFF"....

(1) (Reply)

Help Needed / Are Graduates Of Houdogbe North Am University,Benin-Republic Allowed To Serve? / ASUU Strike-the Funny Side

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.