Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,698 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers (3617 Views)

How Dasuki Shared N30b 'Loot' To PDP, Reps, Anenih, Senator Ayu - The Nation / PDP, Reps, Anenih, Ayu, Others Named In N30b ‘loot’ / REVEALED: APC Spent N30B On Presidential Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by wesley80(m): 12:25pm On Oct 05, 2013
Friday morning and a lecturer friend decides to pay me an unscheduled visit and begins lamenting about the state of the nation, I react coldly to any topic he brings up cos I think I know his ultimate destination - he hinted me about a week ago letting out that the strike has chewed badly into his finances and he might get broke in a matter of days. I act extremely busy and if he could read faces he probably would have read from mine that I had no desire in sharing in anyone's comeuppance let alone an ASUU member's. As he's about to finally land, I excuse myself and walk out allowing him a few more precious minutes to wallow in misery. I get back and his mood has changed completely, he's now up on his feet with a very broad smile and talking excitedly, Surely something has changed. This isnt the same sullen fellow I left a few minutes ago. He makes about 3 calls in quick succession all with the same message - "Dem done pay"
Finally he puts his phone aside and brimming with smiles, he starts playing with his phone - his way of getting back knowing I'm now really curious, it's my turn now to probe! Just as the first words leave my mouth, he suddenly jumps up and announces;
Abeg I dey go
You dey craze na now you want go, I reply
Shebi becos you know say I come find money you dey form oga for me
Na god go punish you, you give me money keep? I fire back
After our usual back and forth, he finally spills it out
ASUU just disbursed Jonathans initial 30billion settlement offer to its members!
Ok, so that means the strike would be called of by Monday abi?
For wetin na? Na only one year outstanding allowance be dis o! E still remain 3 years own.
I felt pure rage.
Dem say Jonathan been agree to pay us for 2 years but as him come back from Amerika him say e no go pay again. We for call off the strike on independence day like say him pay us for 2 years. Anytime when him pay us reach 2 years outstanding, dem go call off the strike. Na God say make dem pay dis money today o, nearly all of us done broke finish.

At this point I had to be happy for him as a friend but I couldnt totally conceal my dismay,the last time we had this conversation it ended when I told him he was as greedy and unreasonable as his union leaders so there was no point saying anything else. A good deal of my anger was directed towards the govt for releasing the money to ASUU without getting a complementary commitment to call of the strike. An end to the strike should have been a precondition for releasing any prt of their cumulative allowances but someone seriously messed up so while students are at home roasting, lecturers are about to start balling and prepared to extend the strike even more. SMH.

Nigeria has the money so there probably isnt anything wrong with paying lecturers some good "earned and unearned" allowances - granted. But why the whole facade of fighting for Nigeria's education sector? Why do these heartless greedy men always use Nigerian students as pawns to bait the government? I feel really sorry for the Nigerian student.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by bymigokeph: 12:39pm On Oct 05, 2013
its unfortunate dat students a suffering
bt if i b president i 4 no open mouth 4 ALUU; OH sorry ASUU
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by peleson: 12:46pm On Oct 05, 2013
Everybody knows, ASUU is fighting for their pockets! Its obvious.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by ayodeji752: 12:52pm On Oct 05, 2013
So they hav disbursed d 30billion to d lecturers ryt? Dont worry, it will soon finish and they will hav no oda option oda dan to be begging government and nigeria students
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by akpur1(m): 12:53pm On Oct 05, 2013
Thank God for them tell are fighting for our success
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by carzola(m): 12:59pm On Oct 05, 2013
Hehehehehehehd, nice write up bro looks like something i would have written back in the days of my rookie.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by wesley80(m): 1:08pm On Oct 05, 2013
carzola: Hehehehehehehd, nice write up bro looks like something i would have written back in the days of my rookie.

A Trend For "Uni-uyo Post Ume" Lets Meet Here..** by carzola(m): 9:15am On Sep 24

Hello my name is frank uko a 400level student, in the department of sociology and antropology..... Kindly call this number below for your genuin admission runs or any other problem, ur pre-degree, certificate, remedial, and deploma forms also... 08108955715

(Quote) (Report) (Like)

And your rookie days would be when? While you were in secondary school or now in Uni that you still cant manage to spell 'Thread' correctly?
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by ogtavia(m): 1:38pm On Oct 05, 2013
If this is true,then the Nigerian Education sector still has a long way to go,with all d nonsense goin on in our universities,if d lecturers arent sincere abt d need for improvement and development and all dey only yearn for is allowance with the fact dt some of them are so daft,unintelligent,cant speak simple correct english,cant teach well and above all are consumed with unnecessary pride,then Nigeria has a very long way to go,i was rooting for ASUU(mind you i am post graduate student in one of d federal universities,so am in it as well) but if this is true,then its just petty and cheap blackmail.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by awodman: 1:40pm On Oct 05, 2013
Its not entirely strange because when they went on strike on July they told us is strictly about earned allowance

The National President of the union, Dr. Nasir Issa Faggae, who announced the industrial action while addressing journalists yesterday in Lagos, noted that the strike would be total and indefinitely.

He said the strike was called over the non-payment of the Earned Allowances for lecturers since 2009 when the Federal Government and the union agreed to meet
certain conditions concerning university education, including the allowance at stake.

Faggae explained that the decision to down tools was taken at a National Executive Council, NEC, meeting of the union comprising 51 out of the 53 ASUU branches
across the country held over the weekend at the Olabisi Onabanjo University, OUU, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State. He warned that the union would not call off the strike until the Federal Government paid the allowance.

The ASUU president said the Earned Allowance, which covers inconvenience and work overload, among others, was an average of N12,500 per month per lecturer.
Faggae, however, said it was disheartening that the Federal Government had refused to pay the allowance to any lecturer in the last four years. He said: “ASUU has met the government several times on this allowance issue and other ones as contained in our Memorandum of Understanding in 2011 which was the fallout of the 2009
agreement.

“It has always been promises upon promises and we can no longer tolerate the action, thus the need to embark on the nationwidestrike until our allowances are paid fully.”
nationalmirroronline.net/new/ASUU-declares-indefinite-strike-over-n12500-allowance/
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 05, 2013
I'm not surprised. They want to collect allowances like senators..
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by donphilopus: 2:00pm On Oct 05, 2013
Sorry to say, FG/ASUU are ERROR
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by Demdem(m): 2:11pm On Oct 05, 2013
let even assume the OPs story is true, and so what?
ASUU is 100% on point.
As long as its within the scope of agreement with the FG then they are entitled to their pay. They arent asking for more, they are basically saying that give us what u owe us, and what u agreed to pay, case closed.
If Jonadfat can afford to feed himself, his family and some few govt cronies with a billion naira worth of food in a financial year, why should paying thousands of lecturers heir due be a big deal undecided

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by wesley80(m): 2:34pm On Oct 05, 2013
Demdem: let even assume the OPs story is true, and so what?
ASUU is 100% on point.
As long as its within the scope of agreement with the FG then they are entitled to their pay. They arent asking for more, they are basically saying that give us what u owe us, and what u agreed to pay, case closed.
If Jonadfat can afford to feed himself, his family and some few govt cronies with a billion naira worth of food in a financial year, why should paying thousands of lecturers heir due be a big deal undecided

Firstly, what makes you think I'll sit down and cook up sh*t? Among your cycle of morons isnt there anyone connected to lecturing in a Federal institution you can verify from?
Secondly, If you've been reading the opinion of students on this forum you'd know that most seem to believe ASUU are on strike due to the poor state of education in the country an impression repeatedly fuelled by ASUU with pure intent to garner public sympathy. A little truth wont hurt anyone would it?
Thirdly, my lecturer friend is a junior lecturer that hasnt been working for more than 3years, but according to ASUU he's entitled to 4years pay since the total 97billion outstanding allowance was arrived at by multiplying ASUU's current staff strength with their monthly allowances since the agreement was signed. ASUU have vehemently refused to carry out or take part in any verification exercise.
I believe all these are right because Jonathan and legislators also squander Nigeria's money right?

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by Tuntheycr7: 2:34pm On Oct 05, 2013
So wen wud de call off d strike?
Am tayad feeding ma cousin and ma broda wey de chap ma food since.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
Every issue in this country is analysed along ethnic/partisan lines. Is it a mere coincidence that all the APC e-rats on NL have been supporting ASUU hundred percent all through the strike?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by chreldb(m): 4:19pm On Oct 05, 2013
Demdem: let even assume the OPs story is true, and so what?
ASUU is 100% on point.

^^^ Not only is the OP a BIG LIAR!! He is also ignorant. Even if this story is true then his so called lecturer friend is a charlatan. The Op cooked up this sick story to whip up sentiments at the expense of lecturers. The title of the thread is a strong indication to the OP's purported lie. Since when did ASUU have the mandate to disburse funds emanating from the government to lecturers. People like this OP are the problem with Nigeria today. Too many dishonest trick stars. The OP is also trying to sell false information that ASUU refuses to call of the strike because they have not been paid their four year earned allowance. That is another unscrupulous lie. If any body wants to know the real reason why ASUU has not yet called of the strike then refer to the links below. You would hear from the horses mouth i.e ASUU president himself Professor Nasir Faggae. Then you can judge for yourself. then compare it to what this lying charlatan of an OP has written. NONSENSE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MAm5wsE7qM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVtyUgphpsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EEa-04Gei0

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by wesley80(m): 4:42pm On Oct 05, 2013
^After fuming you forgot to say the only sentence that truly matters : I just confirmed they've not been paid. Say so or shut up.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 05, 2013
What kind of stoopid thread is this? Lecturers have not been paid 3 years allowance,they managed to collect one year and you are blaming them? The strike must continue till all their allowances are duely paid. If you are not a lecturer and you are spewing trash here,you better shut up and let the lecturers fight for what is theirs! You don't feel what they feel at all! Let them fight for their money! angry

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by chreldb(m): 5:09pm On Oct 05, 2013
wesley80: ^After fuming you forgot to say the only sentence that truly matters : I just confirmed they've not been paid. Say so or shut up.

Go and hide your head in shame and next time don't peddle dumb lies. Especially when you are dealing with issues concerning intellectuals. You only put yourself at risk of looking st.upid like you have just done. grin grin
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by wesley80(m): 5:36pm On Oct 05, 2013
chreld_b:

Go and hide your head in shame and next time don't peddle dumb lies. Especially when you are dealing with issues concerning intellectuals. You only put yourself at risk of looking st.upid like you have just done. grin grin
Oh dear, what have we here, a half wit intellectual? No wonder the kids are coming out dumber than they were before entering schools. An intellectual that fails basic comprehension test asking me to hang my head in shame? Now isn't that funny? Here's what I told you Mr intellectual, tell forumites that you know for a fact that lecturers in Federal institutions were not paid a years allowance on Friday or SHUT YOUR INTELLECTUAL MOUTH UP! Clear enough now? Till you can manage to say so, I stand by my post.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by wesley80(m): 5:49pm On Oct 05, 2013
berem: What kind of stoopid thread is this? Lecturers have not been paid 3 years allowance,they managed to collect one year and you are blaming them? The strike must continue till all their allowances are duely paid. If you are not a lecturer and you are spewing trash here,you better shut up and let the lecturers fight for what is theirs! You don't feel what they feel at all! Let them fight for their money! angry
Bia EwuNwanyi, I know you have a reputation for being filthy mouthed around here but be advised that I do not suffer fools kindly. If your brain wasn't severely atrophied by your numerous ethnic battles with folks as mentally challenged as you are, you would've noticed my post isn't about the propriety of ASUU's allowance but their constant fronting of Nigeria's education sector challenges as the reason for their incessant strike actions, but of course you had to biitch right? Next time pleae save your filthy mouth for whoever is unfortunate to have you at home, I wont be sniggered at by a woman that doesn't know her place.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by chreldb(m): 6:06pm On Oct 05, 2013
wesley80:
Oh dear, what have we here, a half wit intellectual? No wonder the kids are coming out dumber than they were before entering schools. An intellectual that fails basic comprehension test asking me to hang my head in shame? Now isn't that funny? Here's what I told you Mr intellectual, tell forumites that you know for a fact that lecturers in Federal institutions were not paid a years allowance on Friday or SHUT YOUR INTELLECTUAL MOUTH UP! Clear enough now? Till you can manage to say so, I stand by my post.

"Never argue with an i.diot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin

I rest my case.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by wesley80(m): 6:40pm On Oct 05, 2013
^ What a clown, a clown and a coward. Called out to assert himself he scurries back to his hole like a scared rat.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by honeric01(m): 7:57pm On Oct 05, 2013
Seeing Wesley80 as the op, i automatically knew i was going to end up reading lies similar to that of Abati and labara motiku.

Lol
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by einst3in: 8:19pm On Oct 05, 2013
OP Nice one. Someone needs to start telling the truth.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by wesley80(m): 9:34pm On Oct 05, 2013
honeric01: Seeing Wesley80 as the op, i automatically knew i was going to end up reading lies similar to that of Abati and labara motiku.

Lol
What is the lie? That lecturers were not paid or they didnt resolve to call off the strike when they receive 50% of their outstanding allowance? What exactly am I lying about? I'm waiting for you guys to prove me wrong. I've thrown down the gauntlet, go make enquiries and tell me Federal lecturers didnt receive their pay on friday, till then you and the rest may as well keep quiet like the paper intellectual that tried those cheap lines before you. You should be thankful someone is feeding you with internal scoops.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by otokx(m): 11:18pm On Oct 05, 2013
Op is a big bad liar, the last salary received by UNIPORT lecturers was in July 2013. Earned allowance is not only for lecturers; even at that it is yet to be paid to anybody.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by wesley80(m): 11:27pm On Oct 05, 2013
^ Be quiet, I didnt ask for the opinion of kids about their fathers finances, oya run along before I pick a cane and flog you silly!
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by engrfcuksmtin(m): 11:30pm On Oct 05, 2013
wesley80:

Firstly, what makes you think I'll sit down and cook up sh*t? Among your cycle of morons isnt there anyone connected to lecturing in a Federal institution you can verify from?
Secondly, If you've been reading the opinion of students on this forum you'd know that most seem to believe ASUU are on strike due to the poor state of education in the country an impression repeatedly fuelled by ASUU with pure intent to garner public sympathy. A little truth wont hurt anyone would it?
Thirdly, my lecturer friend is a junior lecturer that hasnt been working for more than 3years, but according to ASUU he's entitled to 4years pay since the total 97billion outstanding allowance was arrived at by multiplying ASUU's current staff strength with their monthly allowances since the agreement was signed. ASUU have vehemently refused to carry out or take part in any verification exercise.
I believe all these are right because Jonathan and legislators also squander Nigeria's money right?
I doubt your story cos I belong to the system Ahmad Bello University to be precise. Yes 30billion Naira was shared amongst the universities. As a matter of fact ABU was given over 2billion but it has not been paid to lecturers because they will have to calculate what to be paid to each person (responsibility allowance for those holding positions, excess work load, external examiners allowance, harzard allowance and so on). Also it is not possible for somebody that did not work for 4 years to be paid arears of earned allowances for four years no vice chancellor will do that in Nigeria. Yes there was a verification exercise proposed by the federal government towards transferring the payment of salaries directly from Ministry of Finance, ASUU refused to partake in the exercise because resident doctors that did are suffering for the failure of the proposed system.
My questions to you....
1. Is the state of our Universities ok in terms of teaching and research facilities
2. Are you satisfied with the quality of hostels, recreational facilities, office accommodation, lecture halls and other infrastructures?
3. Did you attend University?
4. Itemize the reasons why no Nigeria institution made it to top 50 Universities in the world
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by wesley80(m): 12:48am On Oct 06, 2013
engrfcuksmtin: I doubt your story cos I belong to the system Ahmad Bello University to be precise. Yes 30billion Naira was shared amongst the universities. As a matter of fact ABU was given over 2billion but it has not been paid to lecturers because they will have to calculate what to be paid to each person (responsibility allowance for those holding positions, excess work load, external examiners allowance, harzard allowance and so on). Also it is not possible for somebody that did not work for 4 years to be paid arears of earned allowances for four years no vice chancellor will do that in Nigeria. Yes there was a verification exercise proposed by the federal government towards transferring the payment of salaries directly from Ministry of Finance, ASUU refused to partake in the exercise because resident doctors that did are suffering for the failure of the proposed system.
My questions to you....
1. Is the state of our Universities ok in terms of teaching and research facilities
2. Are you satisfied with the quality of hostels, recreational facilities, office accommodation, lecture halls and other infrastructures?
4. Itemize the reasons why no Nigeria institution made it to top 50 Universities in the world

Finally a Daniel comes to judgement. Thanks for choosing your words carefully and not calling me a liar like the rest. On the issue of 4 - year blanket payments for all cadre of staff, I actually got that bit from the Benue state governor that handled the initial negotiations and I stand corrected, however just because ABU is yet to disburse their cash does not mean others haven't, I'm glad you only expressed doubt over this, I actually have the specific amounts paid to the different cadre of staff but chose to leave that part out for obvious reasons but make no mistake about it; PAYMENTS HAVE BEEN MADE in at least one federal institution - CONFIRMED, I stake my entire cyber reputation on this so pls lets move ahead.
Let me attempt to answer your questions
1. No
2. No
3. Take a guess
4. In order of importance I'll list the 3 most important as;
a) Poor management
b) Lecturers attitude to work and
c) Inadequate funding

Do you disagree with my list or the order of importance? Now look closely and tell me who carries the bulk of the blame; ASUU or the FG? I'll expatiate when I see your response.
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by theoctopus: 1:53am On Oct 06, 2013
engrfcuksmtin: I doubt your story cos I belong to the system Ahmad Bello University to be precise. Yes 30billion Naira was shared amongst the universities. As a matter of fact ABU was given over 2billion but it has not been paid to lecturers because they will have to calculate what to be paid to each person (responsibility allowance for those holding positions, excess work load, external examiners allowance, harzard allowance and so on). Also it is not possible for somebody that did not work for 4 years to be paid arears of earned allowances for four years no vice chancellor will do that in Nigeria. Yes there was a verification exercise proposed by the federal government towards transferring the payment of salaries directly from Ministry of Finance, ASUU refused to partake in the exercise because resident doctors that did are suffering for the failure of the proposed system.
My questions to you....

Look bro. There is still a lot that should be done in Nigerian universities but

1. It will take time

2. The state governments are responsible for the state universities. ASUU demanding for FG money for state universities is absurd

3. I went to university for 6 years. ASUU has never fought for the improvement of Nigerian universities. Please stop using that 419 line to support the strike. They are fighting for their pockets
Re: ASUU Disburses Fg's N30b To Lecturers by Brimmie(m): 2:13am On Oct 06, 2013
I 'll type in the morning Insha'allah!

**zzzzzzzzzz**

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Set To Restore Tambuwal’s Security Aides / Gov. Fashola Inspects Ipakodo Jetty. Pics.. / Why Gmb Will Win ~by Aljazeera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.