Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,869 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone (35537 Views)

Animals! Super Animals! / 5 Animals That Actually Never DIE! / Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by tnktosin(m): 1:55am On Oct 08, 2013
All naija politicians nid to take a dip in dis lake, just one dip not even seven.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by SIRKOL(m): 2:53am On Oct 08, 2013
dr-pips:
The Deadly Lake…
There’s a deceptively still body of water in Tanzania with a deadly secret…

…that Stonifies!
It turns any animal it touches to stone.

Truth Behind the Lake
The rare phenomenon is caused by the chemical makeup of the lake.

The Chemical Composition
The creatures pepper the area around the lake due to its constant pH of 9 to 10.5 — an extremely basic alkalinity that preserves these creatures for eternity.

my brothers n sisters if u know what times d bible says things like dis shall happen abeg click the "LIKE" hand side

Seems Like a Horror Story!
The petrified creatures it leaves behind seem straight out of a horror film.

There’s a deceptively still body of water in Tanzania with a deadly secret — it turns any animal it touches to stone. The rare phenomenon is caused by the chemical makeup of the lake, but the petrified creatures it leaves behind are straight out of a horror film.

Photographed by Nick Brandt in his new book, Across the Ravaged Land, petrified creatures pepper the area around the lake due to its constant pH of 9 to 10.5 — an extremely basic alkalinity that preserves these creatures for eternity.

According to Brandt:

I unexpectedly found the creatures — all manner of birds and bats — washed up along the shoreline of Lake Natron in Northern Tanzania. No-one knows for certain exactly how they die, but it appears that the extreme reflective nature of the lake’s surface confuses them, and like birds crashing into plate glass windows, they crash into the lake. The water has an extremely high soda and salt content, so high that it would strip the ink off my Kodak film boxes within a few seconds. The soda and salt causes the creatures to calcify, perfectly preserved, as they dry.

I took these creatures as I found them on the shoreline, and then placed them in ‘living’ positions, bringing them back to ‘life’, as it were. Reanimated, alive again in death.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/10/any-animal-that-touches-this-lethal-lake-turns-to-stone/
http://eyespopping.com/any-animal-that-touches-this-lethal-lake-turns-to-stone

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 3:57am On Oct 08, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked

That's kinda cool grin
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Richy4(m): 5:30am On Oct 08, 2013
jezzz it would have been cool if the animals are turned into Gold or diamond instead of ordinary stones. Tanzanians would have been the richest country in Africa.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by CHYMAJA(f): 6:19am On Oct 08, 2013
Beautiful creation of God, for the service of humanity
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Stormborn: 6:49am On Oct 08, 2013
Those people of aluu community who killed the uniport student should be taken to this lake to be turned into stone, and then brought back to nigeria so that the nigerian student can scatter them into dust. My opinion.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by dasparrow: 6:59am On Oct 08, 2013
@Post

This is quite amazing. Anyways, I think that all the bigots and racists in this world should be tossed into this lake and turned to stone. My humble opinion.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 7:24am On Oct 08, 2013
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 7:43am On Oct 08, 2013
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by drnoel: 7:59am On Oct 08, 2013
Wild crazy world. But then serious resorces for the tansanians if only they would invest they could be a world producer of lime stone. On anoda thought what does history say about this lake; like was it a reminant of a previous active valcano.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by buskie13(m): 8:07am On Oct 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ON MY DEAD BODY.
if you insist,may God have mercy on you.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by drnoel: 8:15am On Oct 08, 2013
Thursday, October 3rd 2013 at 1:02 pm
Contrary to Popular Belief, Lake Natron Does Not Instantly Turn Birds To Stone
Guys, it's a lake. It's not Medusa.

Sometimes the media does this thing where it takes something incredibly fascinating and turns into a crappy game of telephone, and at the end everybody believes something completely fake. Case in point: after those gorgeous pictures of mummified Lake Natron birds made the rounds, now everybody thinks that the lake has supernatural gorgon-like powers.

No one is disputing that Natron is a dangerous place for most species, of course. As the New Scientist says, the lake can reach temperatures up to 60 °C and has an alkalinity between pH 9 and pH 10.5, making it pretty dang gross on the best of days — it can even burn the skin and eyes of animals who aren’t adapted to it. It also does preserve many of these animals’ bodies, specifically due to the combination of chemicals that are deposited into the water via runoff from a nearby Great Rift Valley volcano, Ol Doinyo Lengai.

Unfortunately, the nuances of this lake’s ecosystem seem to escape many a casual observer, and what people appear to be taking away from most coverage is this: that there’s a lake in Africa that kills literally every creature that comes near it (which is false), and that it’s capable of killing those creatures instantly by turning them to actual stone (which is also false).

First of all, the preservation process is not something that happens instantaneously — it happens over a much longer period of time. Though the photos taken by Nick Brandt depict the petrified birds on perches and in naturalistic poses as if they were just petrified, they are all entirely staged. Brandt said as much in an e-mail to NBC news: ”I unexpectedly found the creatures — all manner of birds and bats — washed up along the shoreline of Lake Natron in Northern Tanzania[...] I took these creatures as I found them on the shoreline, and then placed them in ‘living’ positions, bringing them back to ‘life.’”

Secondly, the birds are not “stone,” per se. The chemical process to which they were subjected is much closer to Egyptian mummifcation than anything else, and although the bodies appear chalky and stone-like in appearance, but they are not completely immovable. After all, if that were the case then Brandt would not have been able to reposition his birds into such surreal and breathtaking poses.

Furthermore, there are species that are perfectly capable of living near lake Natron without facing inevitable doom — specifically, there are extremophile fish, bacterium, and a specific type of algae that thrives in the alkaline-rich waters. The lake is also one of the largest breeding ground for North Africa’s lesser flamingos (not to be confused with the greater flamingo, which has a different bill and is just a bit larger– you know, “greater”), who come to the lake to feed on the aforementioned algae. Yes, the occasional flamingo dies and is preserved, but as you can see from the featured image above, there are plenty more that come out just fine.

But of course you wouldn’t know that by looking at, oh say, People Magazine, which calls Natron “a lake in Africa that turns all animals who come in contact with it to stone.” No, People! That’s not what’s happening! It’s so much more complicated than that!

www.geekosystem.com/natron-birds/
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by novaman: 8:29am On Oct 08, 2013
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by immortaliceberg(m): 8:29am On Oct 08, 2013
lildray: this does'nt look real, am sure those animals were carved
they are trying brainwash us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by ocelot2006(m): 8:33am On Oct 08, 2013
passionate88: Lake Medusa

Damn!! The name also crossed my mind grin
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by kommiejewel(f): 8:35am On Oct 08, 2013
shocked. . Jst came up wit a new death sentence. . Death by drownin in D Tanzanian lake. .8-)
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by elobyobi: 8:35am On Oct 08, 2013
Creepy shizz.....goosebumps
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by gentlelyfe(m): 8:37am On Oct 08, 2013
kai...if ds kind lake d 9ja...e for mek sense ooo
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by kommiejewel(f): 8:38am On Oct 08, 2013
[quote
author=Richy.]jezzz it would have been cool if the animals are turned
into Gold or diamond instead of ordinary stones. Tanzanians would have
been the richest country in Africa.[/quote]
cheesy. . Animals in Africa would hav been extinct by now and then we would hav been tossin human beings. ..
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by adebayogates(m): 8:46am On Oct 08, 2013
KELVIN-XY:
Hmmm..
Ok now that's weird..
Does this mean there is no Fish in the water.?

haba, there'll be fish naw,just some stony ones
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Natasha2(f): 8:49am On Oct 08, 2013
There's nothing more supernatural that nature smiley
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by victorazy(m): 9:25am On Oct 08, 2013
River of Meduza. END TIME TINZ sha
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by viktuur(m): 12:36pm On Oct 08, 2013
Done
Bossforeva: Any Man that kills his fellow human being is an animal.
I just pray that one day all the boko haram members will drown inside this lake and just as lot's wife looked back and became a pillar of salt, they themselves will come out a pillar of bricks and stones, that their may be abundant stones for the work of rebuilding all they have destroyed. What Else?
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by benzzyno(m): 5:41pm On Oct 08, 2013
Bullocks..!
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by BizBooks(m): 6:58pm On Oct 08, 2013
emmyoha87:
Take a good look @ d skyline and landscape behind d bat n you'lld realise d
picture is inverted to aid proper viewing.

The photographer himself clearly said all the pictures were staged. That is not
in doubt. See quote below attributed to the photographer.

I took these creatures as I found them on the shoreline, and then placed them
in ‘living’ positions, bringing them back to ‘life’, as it were. Reanimated, alive
again in death.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by skyfall: 7:11pm On Oct 08, 2013
dolapobello1:

Oga, so because Tanzania is in east africa, it is close to the middle east abi? Well, you are wrong. Next time consult an Atlas first.

Mr Geography Teacher thank you. You people just open your wide mouth anyhow without thinking. Many of the biblical stories could have happened in Eastern or Northern Africa. We'll never know the locations because distances were relative then and accurate info would have been lost in those stories.

Tanzanians, Eritreans, Ethiopians and some Sudanese have pale skin and could have been part some of the characters in those stories. Open your closed mind and make inferences from what you read, Sule.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Jannyreen: 12:07am On Oct 09, 2013
kenedy175: some people need to be taken to that lake
bros u dey there jareh...smiles

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=28pt]HEY THIS IS UNFAIR! OP COPIED MY THREAD![/size] angry

https://www.nairaland.com/1462723/stunning-pictures-animals-died-got
Sorry dude, blame the Mods, some of them do it too

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Kills Big Python Under His Bed (Photos) / Jack Dorsey Resigns From Twitter / How Efficient Are Solar Electricity Power Systems?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.