Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger (5607 Views)

Ex-governor Aliyu Booed And Stoned By Angry Crowd At Inauguration / Governor Aliyu Loses Polling Unit In Niger State / Gunmen Hijack 4 Boats In Warri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by Tolexander: 4:13pm On Oct 06, 2013
Gov Babangida Aliyu of Niger, in Minna on Sunday announced a ban on the use of old boats in ferrying passengers across rivers in the state.

The order followed the boat mishap on Thursday, Oct. 3, which claimed 18 lives in Kokoli village of Agwarra Local Government Area.

“The action is intended to ensure that old and rickety boats do not continue to take valuable lives in the riverine communities”, the governor said in a statement issued by his spokesman, Danladi Ndayebo.

Aliyu said the state Ministry for Transportation had been directed to monitor the boat operators and ensure full compliance with all safety standards.

The governor also directed operators of such ferry boats to provide life jackets to all passengers.

Aliyu assured the people of the state that other measures would be taken to ensure safe water transportation in the state.

He prayed God to grant the families of the victims of the boat mishap the courage and fortitude to bear the loss, and to grant the deceased eternal rest.
orisun
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by FoxyFlow(m): 4:25pm On Oct 06, 2013
What shall it profit them to buy new boats and still die from overcrowdedness?

Some shout..

God Forbid!!!

2 Likes

Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by bashnorth: 4:26pm On Oct 06, 2013
May Allah grant the dead aljannah fiddausi

6 Likes

Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by Mrblackman: 4:29pm On Oct 06, 2013
.Hmn.........
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by Mrblackman: 4:29pm On Oct 06, 2013
.Hmn..........Hmn..........Hmn..........Hmn.........
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by manny4life(m): 4:29pm On Oct 06, 2013
May they RIP

AMEN. cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by donphilopus: 4:29pm On Oct 06, 2013
So it means they've been using Old boats, it's like the 23years old Plane
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 06, 2013
Medicine after rigor mortis

The sad part is that it won't be implemented
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by JUO(m): 4:31pm On Oct 06, 2013
story
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by jafsumar07: 4:31pm On Oct 06, 2013
This is a v important move towards securing human lives dat ferry along, bt wat is more important is a complete nd total implementation of dats is said in order to maintain compliance with d ban
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by princeobalola: 4:33pm On Oct 06, 2013
May their souls RIP. Good move from the Governor. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by iamswizz(m): 4:33pm On Oct 06, 2013
So new boats wont sink?
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by DankemzI(m): 4:35pm On Oct 06, 2013
Primitive boats still plying our waters without life jackeks in 21st Century.... Nigeria happy Annivesary (53rd)
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by Tawis06(m): 4:35pm On Oct 06, 2013
It my birthday 2day please can u like my post for no reason

8 Likes

Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by senatorbayor(m): 4:36pm On Oct 06, 2013
I expect the Gov to have made this pronouncement when the first boat misharp happened
Must they wait for another tragedy before they knew old boats were been used and without life jacket
Its rather too unfortunate that this executhieves polithiefcian only respond to issues that are of direct benefit to them at the expence of the masses life
They respond quickly to issues on old and new PDP,GEJ signed pact of not contesting and its north's turn and GEJ shud not contest
May God grant the lost souls an eternal rest and the families the fortitude to bear the loss
What a Country!

2 Likes

Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by tolextony(m): 4:37pm On Oct 06, 2013
Beta
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by donphilopus: 4:37pm On Oct 06, 2013
Tawis06: It my birthday 2day please can u like my post for no reason
did I just hear you beg for "LIKE"?

1 Like

Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by chadef: 4:40pm On Oct 06, 2013
Every passenger who value their lives, shud ensure to have a live jacket. Water has no perfect swimmer, kramps cud hold u at anytime.
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by Lakayanah: 4:41pm On Oct 06, 2013
I don't think banning the usage of boats is the solution. Water is God's gift to man and as Fela said "water e no get enemy" I think we are abusing the way it should be used. With proper life jackets good maintenance and no overcrowding of people and definitely no overloading with heavy farm produce. People cross from Britain to france daily without mishaps it's all proper management the white man is not a spirit. Let's put our house in proper order.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by Excellent7(m): 4:43pm On Oct 06, 2013
Funny reaction to me! Another knee jerk reaction!! What is the definition of old boat in this context.
I think a better response would have been to introduce/enforce compulsory issue of life jackets to all passengers and elimination of overload of the boats. I wonder why precious lives are wasted due to preventable causes. I do not think a life jacket will cost much more than 10,000 NGN on bulk purchase and give many years of service. Facilitating and/or subsidizing the availability of these to transport operators will go a long way to saving precious lives.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by 3kay945(m): 4:44pm On Oct 06, 2013
Good step, the people should stop committing suicide by overloading themselves on weak boats, Death show no kindness or respect for ignorance.
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by khattab02: 4:47pm On Oct 06, 2013
bashnorth: May Allah grant the dead aljannah fiddausi
Ameeeen thumma ameeeeen!

1 Like

Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by topsco(m): 4:48pm On Oct 06, 2013
The axe don enter for river, na now u won join am with the handle.

1 Like

Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by skyscraperTM(m): 4:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
when will niqerians learn how to swim|
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 06, 2013
People have to die before they do something in dis county nd dis ban will just be serious for a month after dat everytin is back to normaL
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 06, 2013
Vote for me (Stardom Artiste Contest) online at http://m.naijaartiste.net/contest/usbeel/
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by ITbomb(m): 5:26pm On Oct 06, 2013
Nigerian leaders n their fire brigade myopic approach to solving problems.
What alternatives have the government provided first to cushion the effect of the ban .
People have been relying on boats for transport n commerce n u suddenly take it away without considering the hardship that will come as a result
Soon a taskforce will be form to monitor the boats , bribes will be exchange n the old boats will return back after the fury has die down .
We seriously need far thinking leaders in this country

1 Like

Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by ymdo(m): 5:50pm On Oct 06, 2013
This is equivalent to squeezing the butthole after the gas is already out. Niger leaders and there lagging brain. SMH

RIP to the dead.
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 06, 2013
I'm very sure one politician in Niger State has just received a contract for importation of Boats.
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by flexymole: 6:10pm On Oct 06, 2013
introduction of modern n more efficient means of water transport is the solution to such problem.

As e no b pdp vs new pdp kwata na life jacket dem suggest, shud it b d former u will see eratic and fast response approach to fixing beta means of water transport.

i don yarn.
Re: Governor Aliyu Bans Old Boats In Niger by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 06, 2013
Medicine after Death

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan In France For Summit On Peace And Security In Africa / Former NSA Sambo Dansuki Arrested!!! / Osama Bin Laden Is Still Alive – Edward Snowden (EX-CIA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.