Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,782 members, 7,824,264 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action (10068 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Nobody: 5:44am On Oct 07, 2013
Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, weekend, threatened stop distribution of petroleum products across the country if the Federal Government failed to implement the agreement reached with the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU.
Though no specific date was fixed for the commencement of the soliarity strike, the union said the strike became necessary in view of the lingering ASUU crisis which the government had failed to resolve in the last three months.
NUPENG President, Igwe Achese, who spoke at the union’s National Administrative Council, NAC, meeting, weekend in Lagos, said NUPENG was not happy at the crisis facing public university system in the country.

He blamed the crisis on government’s failure to honour agreements, lamenting that this had led to the proliferation of strikes in nearly all sectors of the economy since the beginning of the year.

According to him: “We appeal to government to implement agreement reached with ASUU so that students can go back to school. If the crisis in the sector is not resolved, we will soon direct our members to embark on solidarity strike.”

Achese blamed the Ministry of Labour for failing in its responsibility to check the break-down and abuse of laws governing industrial relations practice in the country by employers including government.

“The Ministry of Labour needs to be proactive if we must get these issues nipped in the bud. The ministry also needs to make sure that agreements reached or communiqué signed are implemented.

“The ministry has a big role to play to avert strikes in the country. When unions begin to lose faith in the ministry that is when we have this kind of crisis. The labour minister should be firm in making sure that the right decisions are taken.
“As it is now, every activity in the Ministry of Labour is in the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, which ought not to be so. The role of the SGF should be to intervene only when the need arises.”

It would be recalled that the NUT last week gave the Federal Government two weeks ultimatum to honour the agreement it reached with ASUU or face total shut-down of the education sector in the country.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/ASUU-strike-nupeng-threatens-solidarity-action/
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Nobody: 5:46am On Oct 07, 2013
Stardom Artiste Contest
Don't miss it
Click here and vote YES
Thank you
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by hijacke(m): 6:11am On Oct 07, 2013
Empty threat , evribodi don dey take advantage of dis strike to seek attention

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 07, 2013
hijacke: Empty threat , evribodi don dey take advantage of dis strike to seek attention
eh eh? Empty threat? It is like u dont know the power of labor or you are a son of a politician.
It is what will affect the poor and the rich directly and will give a serious dirty blow on FG to resolve the crisis faster.
I am in support of anything that will benefit the country's educational system as well as improve the sector.
If GEJ dont have enough money, he should sell one of his presidential jets and make sarcrifice to help the sector because he was once one of them. If the does that, his popularity will be have no boundary.

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Burger01(m): 7:00am On Oct 07, 2013
hijacke: Empty threat , evribodi don dey take advantage of dis strike to seek attention
Empty threat! Smh. You definitely don't know shhit about naija.

Smh.

sad

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by jaryeh(m): 7:32am On Oct 07, 2013
4bobo:
eh eh? Empty threat? It is like u dont know the power of labor or you are a son of a politician.
It is what will affect the poor and the rich directly and will give a serious dirty blow on FG to resolve the crisis faster.
I am in support of anything that will benefit the country's educational system as well as improve the sector.
If GEJ dont have enough money, he should sell one of his presidential jets and make sarcrifice to help the sector because he was once one of them. If the does that, his popularity will be have no boundary.

so,u think giving ASUU their outrageous demands will better the education sector. Take your time to go through their demands and see that it won't better anything but their account balance.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by ennon92(m): 7:34am On Oct 07, 2013
Its a welcome development but it's gonna affect d poor masses mostly and stylishly affect d rich ones too. It would have been better if NLC as a whole join in favour of ASUU to embark on a serious strike. Obviously, its gonna shake d economic activities of d country rigorously thereby proffering a possible solutions to d situation on ground.
Though, ASUU as a body has its own numerous issues too. Both of them re very useless.

This present(shoeless) government has nothing to offer Nigerians. Its a pity that some sentimental driven nairalander will come and back this clueless,dumbest and selfish Gej of a leader..
Moreso, Am sure most Nigerians re highly disappointed in this 'wayo' man called Geh. He'd be given cold shoulder come 2015.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by tobiit(m): 8:19am On Oct 07, 2013
I've said this in the past, the only thing can make the strike issue to be resolve is when other sectors in the country and civil servants that has their children in public universities also go on strike in solidarity to help their children go back to school. The power of ASUU can't win this battle alone NLC needs to get involve. And at the end of the day Students remain the only casualty... God help us, Great Nigeria Students.
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 07, 2013
When two elephants fight it is usually the grassed that suffer. We students dnt deserve this i just hope this strike will be calld off as sooon as possible
meanwhile ASUU strike is 100 days old 2day, congrats 2 ASUU

Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 07, 2013
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 07, 2013
ASUU! ASUU!! ASUU!!!

WTF
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by fingard02k(m): 12:29pm On Oct 07, 2013
i forsee nigeria goverment shutting down like america soon
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by ROMENOUN: 12:31pm On Oct 07, 2013
ASUU should resolve with FG or there will be a mass solidarity protest soon....
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by propzncribz: 12:37pm On Oct 07, 2013
Bankers should follow suit and market women too. In fact nairaland, bloggers, beggers and boko haram should strike too.

Students are suffering, parents of students are suffering. Is it a taboo to send our kids to federal and state universities?
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by juman(m): 12:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
The government should settle with ASUU.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by fuadnero(m): 12:45pm On Oct 07, 2013
Everybody dey threaten to strike..until the strike commence i don't believe anything
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by gboso1ne(m): 12:45pm On Oct 07, 2013
What am I supposed 2 do
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by zieraw2005(m): 12:45pm On Oct 07, 2013
yes if its only strike that dis FG understands, hope it will not affect the poor masses, hope this gets the whole national economy shut down. why on earth will this ppl suspend my graduation?
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Korrection(m): 12:45pm On Oct 07, 2013
Take your time and visit nigeria universities. Stop saying trash. Moro.n
jaryeh:

so,u think giving ASUU their outrageous demands will better the education sector. Take your time to go through their demands and see that it won't better anything but their account balance.
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Aromas: 12:54pm On Oct 07, 2013
ASUU sheyi tan
NUPENG teleee
DOCTOR joko silee
ASUP na fariga pe awon o gba seeee
PLANE AGAGU jaboo, posi e kofo
TINUBU wolu, Ilu mi titi

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Big4wig(m): 12:58pm On Oct 07, 2013
Any government or leadership that fail to accord education priority in its desire for development is more than useless..

In another new..

Dear satan,just swallow the shame
and apologize to God so that we will all
go and live happily in d garden of Eden.
As Fire dey burn you so, e sweet?.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Imeyo(m): 1:00pm On Oct 07, 2013
ASUU has finally won d sympathy of Nigerians. ASUU shd also let Nigerians knw d full details of d 2009 agreement so we knw b4 d whole country takes a pause 4 dem
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 07, 2013
we should sometime ask ourselves some salient questions, was the government blind when they signed the agreement? The president was part of those that signed the agreement don't let us forget that. Govt is continuum and whosoever inherit the govt inherit both the gains and the liabilities. Govt should respect the agreement and implement it. ASUU never demand for the agreement to be implemented at once but an install-mental implementation of two yrs. govt failed in the first two yrs (2011) and the second 2yrs (2013) then ASUU results to what they know how to things. our govt need to be responsible and responsive to the yearning and aspiration of the plight of the citizens. on the part of ASUU, they need to be more tactical in their approach our education has suffered enough they should come out with a blue print on how their demand will benefit the common populace and what Nigerian students stand to gain. both the GOVT and the ASUU should pls save us from this academic imbroglio.
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Nobody: 1:04pm On Oct 07, 2013
Korrection: Take your time and visit nigeria universities. Stop saying trash. Moro.n
Smh @this coon.......obviously you're the one saying trash...
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by kzokul(m): 1:04pm On Oct 07, 2013
Make all of una carry una body park well....... Who una wan decieve like say na 2day we begin dey. Hear different threat.........abeggi jor......
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Maranzano(m): 1:04pm On Oct 07, 2013
NUPENG should not aggravate the already bad situation in the country by embarking on a solidarity strike with ASUU. In whose interest will the strike be? Some students have already chosen other routs of survival and any strike by NUPENG will add salt to injury.How many problems have we been able to resolve in Nigeria by embarking on strike? As a postgraduate student, i have since moved on with my life outside the campus.This strike might just be the opportunity one needs for self appraisal. I don't pray for the " EGYPT EXPERIENCE" in Nigeria but solidarity strike by other labour unions will either persuade the Govt to grant ASUU's demands or lead to breakdown of law and order if they don't.
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 07, 2013
If that's what will bring an end to the ASUU strike, then I'm in support of it

But I don't see them carrying out their threats
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by yomalex(m): 1:09pm On Oct 07, 2013
ok
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Moiking(m): 1:18pm On Oct 07, 2013
Hah! Hunger first dey o, now dey say make wey fast join Chai, oti yagayaga!
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Funpeter: 1:31pm On Oct 07, 2013
Guy if there is one Associations the government fear most is NUPENG cos the whole nations economic will be on hold i mean total halt imagine what will happen
increase in transport fare and so on. Am sure GEJ will try too avoid this one nd why are the even supporting ASUU in the first place?
Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by alcuin(m): 1:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
Of what use? Has ASUU ever gone on solidarity strike for any union before? All I see a bunch of old and selfish men.

It pains me to notice that most people can't see that this strike is all about "EARNED ALLOWANCES", nothing more. The stories of decaying infrastructure are mere camouflages to gather sympathy. Of course, it is true that the education sector is in shambles, but truth should also prevail, ASUU also played a great role in the decay.

If you passed through our "ivory" towers, you will understand.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: NUPENG Threatens Solidarity Action by Funpeter: 1:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
zieraw2005: yes if its only strike that dis FG understands, hope it will not affect the poor masses, hope this gets the whole national economy shut down. why on earth will this ppl suspend my graduation?
Lolz why some is NYSC

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Apply For GE Nigeria Graduate Engineering Training Program (GETP) 2018 / Difference Between Am Tired And I’m Tired / world shortest man - picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.