Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? (16525 Views)

Helping The Thinkers Believe, And Helping The Believers Think. / Oritsejafor To Jonathan - Give Half Of Your Salary To The Poor / Donate To The Poor And Needy Not Pastors tithe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by olahero(m): 5:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
Jensen_elizz: Na wa oo........the rate at which dem use dey carry church mata 4 head for dis nl dey suprise me oo.....church do this,dem go post,church do that dem go post..........why u no ask whether mosque dey help d poor and unemployed 4 naija.....mtcheeeeeeew rubbish post
Huh is NOT the same nah, Churches are for business while Mosques are for worshipping portion, and if needy comes in to mosque those who have always help, by the way, are needy usually seeking for help in churches? if NOT, that mean is not in Churches agenda to render members needy.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by akinsgreat: 5:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
[quote
author=Ukuts gp]Are churches really helping the poor and the less
priviledge in our society? considering the way pastors are buying jets,
building mega churches worth billions of naira, cruising on an expensive
cars even when some members hardly feed and takes care of their
families. When you look at churches you will discover that they hardly
help the poor and the unemployed members to stand on their feet
financially. Building mega churches, buying private jets is not my
problem, but helping the needy and unemployed is. My point is churches
should contribute to helping the less priviledge in the church and
society in general, that is what jesus is expecting churches to be doing
and not the other way round. Now the question is: are churches helping
the poor and needy in our society today or not? Give your candid
opinion. Thanks. [/quote]
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by SlimShawty(f): 5:03pm On Oct 10, 2013
Pattey:

Point of Order! You and your wife give to the needy thru the church, NOT Oyedepo using the church's money to cater to the needy instead of re-stocking his arsenal of diverse luxuries!

Annnnd who told ya he doesn't cater for the needy?Lol,whenever they mention Oyedepo or Winners' chapel,some peeps just want to kill themselves,smh.
Anyways,it'd be stupid and childish of him to go around televising his good deeds so that haters like y'all can be satisfied.That man helps the poor like no man's business.
Abeg try working towards stocking your own arsenal,instead of hatin' on those who've worked 32 years to achieve what they've achieved.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by mutvy: 5:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
NO ! they are not,you see during the time of Jesus,Jesus always ensure that the poor are satisfied first before anything.The reverse is the case now.Imagine if the money used to buy private jet is used to set up factories for unemployed graduates.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by godfreyakpoguma(m): 5:08pm On Oct 10, 2013
Every poor person that's a christian worships in a church. I hv seen ushers in churches looking haggard like street urchins y pastors wear d best clothes. People can't feed n pay their skul fees while pastors children live in abundance. The bible says"I hv never seen d righteous beg for food"is dat wat we r seeing 2day?people r suffering n dis is serious problem,some people hv died because they can't afford 2,000 drugs. No pastor suppose to sleepw hen his subjects are not doing fine,but dats not d case now. I prefer using my tithe to give d poor directly dan putting it in church..THank u

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by wale81: 5:09pm On Oct 10, 2013
Most of you supporting this motion of the church helping the "poor" have an entitlement mentality. Lets face it, the way some people talk, you will feel the church has to be giving them money for their upkeep, while they sit down and do nothing.
The bible says "IF you do not work, you do not eat!!". The church should help people out that are down, with a view to the person getting back on their feet so they do not become liabilities.
Most of these churches you are criticizing have welfare programs, and some of their pastors and co are paying school fees for loads of people you will never hear about, or publicized on TV.
Leave the church alone...and face your own! Like Ghandi said...."Be the change you want to see in the world!". When last did you feed a beggar?
Some people just do not feel comfortable seeing men of God or the church prosper while there are poor people around, and you need to know that even if I sell all my stuff in this world...the poor will still be amongst us.....and its not due to lack of the church not helping out....so face your own, and leave the church alone!
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by SlimShawty(f): 5:24pm On Oct 10, 2013
wale81: Most of you supporting this motion of the church helping the "poor" have an entitlement mentality. Lets face it, the way some people talk, you will feel the church has to be giving them money for their upkeep, while they sit down and do nothing.
The bible says "IF you do not work, you do not eat!!". The church should help people out that are down, with a view to the person getting back on their feet so they do not become liabilities.
Most of these churches you are criticizing have welfare programs, and some of their pastors and co are paying school fees for loads of people you will never hear about, or publicized on TV.
Leave the church alone...and face your own! Like Ghandi said...."Be the change you want to see in the world!". When last did you feed a beggar?
Some people just do not feel comfortable seeing men of God or the church prosper while there are poor people around, and you need to know that even if I sell all my stuff in this world...the poor will still be amongst us.....and its not due to lack of the church not helping out....so face your own, and leave the church alone!

Spot on,bro!!On point!
I dunno why they get bitter when they see rich pastors.Is the government and its corrupt officials helping the poor?Are they(the complainants)helping the poor?(That's assuming they ain't poor themselves).Church this,church that.Hian!
Face your own and leave the church alone,people!

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by wwwkaycom(m): 5:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
Let it be known that it is one of the responsibilities of the church to take care of the poor and needy in their midst. Some churches are really doing this while some are turning deaf ears to them. see www.nairaland.com/1458539
Some churches do not even tolerate these categories of people in their midst.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Ukutsgp(m): 5:27pm On Oct 10, 2013
Many here dnt know the ministry of jesus, that is why they are talking trash. What is the mission of the church?, is it to amass wealth or provide for the needy?. Are there no people wu hv learn a trade but hv no capital 2 start in church? Are there no people struggling to pay their school fees? Are the pastors not seeing those ones, are they going 2 carry d offering and tithe money to heaven?.many people here know all this things but they dnt want 2 tell d truth. What is wrong in pastors buying even keke for the unemployed in church? I am a christian but those thing got me thinking. Church should go back to the era of the apostle where no one in church lacks nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by stankezzy: 5:40pm On Oct 10, 2013
how many people have musque ,etheist temple nd shrine center helped.i do nt know why christians always allow non christians to play with christianity ,if it were the other religion they will be treatenning to kill someone.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by pastorprosper(m): 5:41pm On Oct 10, 2013
Ukuts gp, when u were in school u were busy chasing girls, drinking beer and partying, while your mates were reading. Now the consequences of your foolishness has dawned on u, u are now llooking for a fellow like u to bail u out of your self imposed poverty. The instruction to help d poor was given to u as well as every xtain its we all who make d church

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by rusher14: 5:47pm On Oct 10, 2013
Slim Shawty:

Annnnd who told ya he doesn't cater for the needy?Lol,whenever they mention Oyedepo or Winners' chapel,some peeps just want to kill themselves,smh.
Anyways,it'd be stupid and childish of him to go around televising his good deeds so that haters like y'all can be satisfied.That man helps the poor like no man's business.
Abeg try working towards stocking your own arsenal,instead of hatin' on those who've worked 32 years to achieve what they've achieved.
And why would it be silly to let the world know the good deeds of the church?

Don't you think that might even provoke the spirit of the unbelievers to wanting to know this God that makes a stranger show kindness towards him/her?

How come we get to see flyers about vigil nights and symposia but when it comes to helping the needy the mute button is pressed.

In all honesty our churches do little to nothing to help the down-trodden.

Some people are using the number of flashy cars in the church premises to gauge the wealth of the congregation. That is simply laughable.

There are far too many people who make it to church with little or nothing in their pockets and they are simply believing that their breakthrough might come by sacrificing all.

On the other hand many a board of trustees of the church regard the purse as their personal piggy bank and prefer to splurge on flashy cars, airplanes and in some instances bling that would make P.Diddy and Chris Aire green with envy.

I'm happy the people are beginning to question the hierarchy of the church and how money is distributed.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by sCun: 5:55pm On Oct 10, 2013
Instead of people to give their family members with great ideas soft loans to start up or expand their businesses and create employment, they prefer to sow seeds in the church. People should wake up, take all those seeds, offerings, donations and whatever you give to the church and give to those who need the money to start up businesses. Some of the big companies in the world today, especially internet based companies started like this.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by SlimShawty(f): 6:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
rusher14:
And why would it be silly to let the world know the good deeds of the church?

Don't you think that might even provoke the spirit of the unbelievers to wanting to know this God that makes a stranger show kindness towards him/her?

How come we get to see flyers about vigil nights and symposia but when it comes to helping the needy the mute button is pressed.

In all honesty our churches do little to nothing to help the down-trodden.

Some people are using the number of flashy cars in the church premises to gauge the wealth of the congregation. That is simply laughable.

There are far too many people who make it to church with little or nothing in their pockets and they are simply believing that their breakthrough might come by sacrificing all.

On the other hand many a board of trustees of the church regard the purse as their personal piggy bank and prefer to splurge on flashy cars, airplanes and in some instances bling that would make P.Diddy and Chris Aire green with envy.

I'm happy the people are beginning to question the hierarchy of the church and how money is distributed.

You would still be the first to criticise if the pastors televise their charity works,saying that they're trying to get more 'customers'.
The thing is,whatever they do,y'all would still talk.So forget it.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by rusher14: 6:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
Slim Shawty:

You would still be the first to criticise if the pastors televise their charity works,saying that they're trying to get more 'customers'.
The thing is,whatever they do,y'all would still talk.O forget it.
Perhaps i would. Perhaps i wouldn't.

What i do know is that i have been in advanced societies where charities are quite open and well appreciated.

So of course, we can do ours in a clandestine form if that's what suits us.

But i bet when 5000 people were fed by Jesus it wasn't clandestine.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by SlimShawty(f): 6:05pm On Oct 10, 2013
pastor prosper :
Ukuts gp, when u were in school u were busy chasing girls, drinking beer and partying, while your mates were reading. Now the consequences of your foolishness has dawned on u, u are now llooking for a fellow like u to bail u out of your self imposed poverty. The instruction to help d poor was given to u as well as every xtain its we all who make d church

You're spot on,siree!!Tell 'em!
When the pastors of those churches were hustling,where were they,and their fathers?
Now they're waiting for distribution of wealth.
#smh

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by rusher14: 6:08pm On Oct 10, 2013
Slim Shawty:

You're spot on,siree!!Tell 'em!
When the pastors of those churches were hustling,where were they,and their fathers?
Now they're waiting for distribution of wealth.
#smh
Not every one that shouts thief wishes to claim the loot for himself.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by etim20(m): 6:09pm On Oct 10, 2013
Workers of iniquity..
Silly people,church simply means the body of Christ and as a created being,you should be asking yourself What have you done for the body of christ..Йą church be una government that has ₪☺ foundation and plans for its citizen,abi йą church go build company to create job opportunity?you can go and be an usher in the church,that's a job opportunity for a nuisance like Ɣ☺ΰ..
What has mosque done to better our society other than rising Terrorist
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by rusher14: 6:12pm On Oct 10, 2013
etim20: Workers of iniquity..
Silly people,church simply means the body of Christ and as a created being,you should be asking yourself What have you done for the body of christ..Йą church be una government that has ₪☺ foundation and plans for its citizen,abi йą church go build company to create job opportunity?you can go and be an usher in the church,that's a job opportunity for a nuisance like Ɣ☺ΰ..
What has mosque done to better our society other than rising Terrorist
Spoken like a true 'christian'. NOT!!!
The question is not about Islam or some other religion.
If we claim we are the truth and the way through Christ our Lord then we must show transparency in all that we do.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by etim20(m): 6:13pm On Oct 10, 2013
Scun: Instead of people to give their family members with great ideas soft loans to start up or expand their businesses and create employment, they prefer to sow seeds in the church. People should wake up, take all those seeds, offerings, donations and whatever you give to the church and give to those who need the money to start up businesses. Some of the big companies in the world today, especially internet based companies started like this.
йą so learn reach abi and who told you that charity or arm giving is meant for the church alone?in that your little state,how much have you done to better the life of those you are better of?

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Lamasta(m): 6:14pm On Oct 10, 2013
To God Be The Glory.........
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by SlimShawty(f): 6:22pm On Oct 10, 2013
rusher14:
Not every one that shouts thief wishes to claim the loot for himself.

Yeah,but from their posts they seem really bitter about the whole ishh.If Adeboye or Oyedepo were to start sharing money now,they'd probably be the first in line to receive. kiss

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Pattey(m): 6:23pm On Oct 10, 2013
Slim Shawty:

Excuse you? Waka forward abeg

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by etim20(m): 6:24pm On Oct 10, 2013
rusher14:
Spoken like a true 'christian'. NOT!!!
The question is not about Islam or some other religion.
If we claim we are the truth and the way through Christ our Lord then we must show transparency in all that we do.
My dear transparency or what ever you called it cuts across all worths of life weather Islam or Christianity..

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Ribaman(m): 6:25pm On Oct 10, 2013
It is very wrong for any one individual to suggest that it is wrong to examine or ventilate the claims/positions/assertions of a church or her ministers. Such a position is indicative of the extent that our leaders have brain washed us, little wonder occupies of elective posts become angry when some courageous soul tries to hold them accountable.
I am a Christian, and go to church more than once a week: I see no reason why my church or pastor/priest should not be accountable to us.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by kuss: 6:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
Apart from promoting terrorism what has your mosque contributed to the society.nairaland be warned you can not win this war you re waging against the church of christ

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by kid7soccer(m): 6:27pm On Oct 10, 2013
Y we pay offering is for the church to use it to put God house in order and also help those in need, now it to used to put the pastor and his people in order

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by ebullient1986: 6:28pm On Oct 10, 2013
My dear all they are after is to acquire billions for themselves. They are materialistic and pure business men and women that is after your back pocket

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by erictoonice: 6:39pm On Oct 10, 2013
i bet the biggest and most profitable industries in Nigeria are churches, I wish the moni could be added to our GDP, I guess we'll be around 10-15 best economy in the world ;Di bet the biggest and most profitable industries in Nigeria are churches, I wish the moni could be added to our GDP, I guess we'll be around 10-15 best economy in the world

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Ukutsgp(m): 6:41pm On Oct 10, 2013
@pastor prosper. I wonder if that name suit you. Let me tell you, stop wallowing and basking in d epheora of mammoth ignorance and asininity, And liberate ur mind from monumental delusion. Meanwhile let me maintain my state of equanimity and conviviality so that this thread will not be turned into verbal feud and celerous disputation. Pls state ur point without name calling. Thanks.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Chamackh(m): 6:42pm On Oct 10, 2013
There is a mission in Christ Embassy called Inner City Mission responsible for that. Likewise Living Bread Church Akesan here in Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo's Caananland: Are The Shapes Demonic? / Christianity Vs. The Old Gods Of Nigeria / How You Can Know For Sure That You Will Go To Heaven When You Die

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.