Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? (16523 Views)

Helping The Thinkers Believe, And Helping The Believers Think. / Oritsejafor To Jonathan - Give Half Of Your Salary To The Poor / Donate To The Poor And Needy Not Pastors tithe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by debbleopto: 12:27am On Oct 11, 2013
Virgin Finder: Mind your business and leave the churches alone. Thank you.

Nobody has forced you to part with your N1 grin

this is oppressor's answer.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 12:51am On Oct 11, 2013
U can imagine wia d pastor tels u 2put ur transport dat God undastnd nd wave it unto God. Like he dosn't knw dat he's intimidatn d poor.only 4 d rich 2c hw poor u are. He can even tel u 2borow money(wot an insult 2human personality). Its God's turn 2undastnd dat i cant trek bak home. Wot rubish.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Ericsdm55(m): 5:21am On Oct 11, 2013
Sometyms i get confused wit all ds carefree attitudes of our pastors, but we cannot continue to raise question dat wld probably nt b solve. Maybe me nd u re d ones to effect a change. Wen we start seeing frm ds perspective, i fink it wil help. God help us all.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by aytuns(m): 6:53am On Oct 11, 2013
Is that the duty to the church? To provide jobs for the unemployed? You better read your bible and know that the church is to provide for the spiritual food of its brethren, and assist as much as it can in meeting pressing needs of its brethren. If you find out your church is going according to biblical standards maybe its time you realised you are in the wrong place, then you better leave and join the church the bible acknowledges. The Church of Christ. If you want to eat, GO AND WORK, and stop waiting for a church to do everything for you while you lazy around!!
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 11, 2013
D aguement of dis thread is dat d church should broadcast deir charity work on tv which is wrong. d church is doing it best. imagine a church having 50 poor members to cater for. from fud to rent.... its not easy or shuld d chrch buy cars 4 dem?
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 11, 2013
we sing tb joshua praises, yes, he's doing a gud job but dats al d rewards he'll eva get. Jesus standard of help is in secret. 'wat ur left hand givs, ur right hand shuld not know'. leave d chrch alone. TB josh can go ahead 2 broadcast wat he gives.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by james2man: 8:29am On Oct 11, 2013
It is very obvious nowadays that contemporary churches don't give attention to the poor members in their churches. Even when they are ready to help, the protocol and process is of greater height. Churches are now into competitions in the same trend ; Universities,private jet owner etc. Contemporary churches budget are toward all these things mentioned, so it is impossible for these churches to give attention to the poor and even if they do it is minimum. They have created gaps between the rich and the poor, this is even rampant within the church settings. There are reserve special seat available for rich members and even if the poor member happens to be the first person in the church he can't not sit on the reserve seat.

I hope someday Christians will wake up from their DIVINE slumber.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Tofax: 8:29am On Oct 11, 2013
TB Joshua Interview – The People Come
First (Tell Magazine).
An in-depth interview with TB Joshua regarding his
extensive charitable activities and the reason for his passion for the poor, as published in the prestigious Tell Magazine of Nigeria. There are many lessons to learn…
Read on via this link: https://thetbjoshuafanclub./2009/08/26/tb-joshua-interview-the-people-come-first-tell-magazine/
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 11, 2013
Concerning tithes &oferings, believers, i must warn u, in d last days dey wil b false techings 2 pull crowds 2 demselves &d bible says d elects wil fall 2. so be careful. giving 2 God is a way of acknowlegin d giver. give 2 God & dont bother who uses
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:39am On Oct 11, 2013
Pattey: I will say this again;

The Old Missionary Churches did a lot for Nigeria. They gave us hospitals, schools, portable water and countless social amenities. As at 1942-50 if I'm not mistaken, 97% of educated people in Nigeria were products of missionary schools.

What are the new generation churches doing today besides enriching church coffers and pastor's vaults with the Widow's mite? What a shame!

Mind you, the old churches did not even develop Nigeria with indigenous tithes and offering! I mean, how much did we have back then? They were bring the church's money from overseas to come and develop our society.

Today, churches making money even here on Nigerian soil are not making adequate efforts to live up to the creeds handed down to them by Christ.

What a shame!
I agree with you.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 11, 2013
If men want 2 open a church as a business, dey tink of an idea dat sells. dont pay tithe, no ofering, no dress code etc & off we go. we droped wat we believe &start runing afta shadows. i luv muslims, deir belief n d quran is strong &dey wont deviate
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:42am On Oct 11, 2013
Brokenbars: D aguement of dis thread is dat d church should broadcast deir charity work on tv which is wrong. d church is doing it best. imagine a church having 50 poor members to cater for. from fud to rent.... its not easy or shuld d chrch buy cars 4 dem?
Wrong!

The Op wants the church to act like the first church, you no read Acts of the Apostle wella
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by J0sh007: 8:49am On Oct 11, 2013
Yes my church does help . I attend living faith and every sunday the church gives food and clothes to the needy. The church even does things like pay school fees but you wouldn't know that if u're not a member. Church contracts are only handled by church members e.t.c but what is really important is Do u go to church to worship God as you should so that you get blessed or u go to church to get help?
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 8:54am On Oct 11, 2013
Der is no demarcation in d bible. The 10 comandment is stil valid. d diferenc is only dat God now writes on our hearts &not on tablets. we now hav free aces & not 2ru priests. Neva say its in d OT xcept u beliv in d God of d NT &discard d God of d OT
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 9:01am On Oct 11, 2013
[quote author=HumbledbYGrace][/quote]
Their needs den was only fud & probably shelter. wer dey stil poor? yes. is d church 2day giving fud, clothes, rents? yes. wil dey become rich? no. dats wat u shuld know.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by SenatorJames(m): 11:51am On Oct 11, 2013
What I can just say is that there are many fake pastors and churches, so also many true men of God, which I know should not be strange to believers with heaven's in view.

I said it sometimes in a conference that unemployment, Bad economy, Insecurity, Depression, curruption are the cause of this recent trend of personally owned churches.

Fix all these and see many of them off the street.

@topic. God's established churches help without everybody noticing. Few of the fake churches do to renew their evil power and self-glory while many dont do at all
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by AriG(m): 12:51pm On Oct 11, 2013
let us stop deceiving ourselves. christianity have taken a new dimension. some worship centres today are not their to help but to extort from people. for those who feel church is not meant to help, have a rethink. it is unheard off dat church universities are the most expensive!! what then are we preaching if we can not practise it. no wonder church leaders dnt come out to air their voice whenevr their is problem in the education sector because they are guilty. pastors now live like business tycoon while their members remain poor but not remain blessed. likes of those with private jetssss. God is washing..
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by yommyuk: 5:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
How many people can the church help? There will always be people who will need some kind of help. In my opinion, the church should focus more on teaching people to think and act right. cool
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Fajzay: 11:37pm On Oct 11, 2013
OP, how many poor have u helped on your street, take care of some poor's medical bill, visit an ophanage / widows. Am not talking about buying drink for someone oo .. Referring to real help. Cos you are part of the church if u are a Christian. So stop bashing here and there if you haven't criticize yourself
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Cmfrt001(f): 12:00am On Oct 12, 2013
k2039: Matthew 26:11 The poor you will always have with you , but you will not always have me.

If you give the poor people a load of money they' ll still be poor.

Giving money isn't even a way to help the poor if it was then the various charities should have solved the proverty problem ages ago.

Wisdom is the principal thing, but you can't teach wisdom.

I think the church should focus more on educating her members on wealth creation. But at that they can't teach them wisdom.
my dear, don't forget that the same bible says' whatever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me'. You get to help the poor as they are representatives of Christ here. If you don't help them, it's no big deal because God works in ways we can't fan-tom. He will use another to help them. Yes, you can teach them skills on how to carter for themselves but one thing first. Start by helping to put food on their table, clothes on their bodies, a roof over their heads(which are their basic/primary needs) before proceeding to the secondary needs. Remember, you are nothing if you cannot reach-out to the needy. Better stop existing and start living.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Chindykuska(m): 7:19am On Oct 12, 2013
Churches are realy sopos to be helpin d poor,even d bible can attes to that.i wonder why odas ar askin questionz like 'who is the church?', what is ur own problm? etc. You dn't need to be tol dat such people are illiterates. Evn if they schoold they i will loudly say they behave like illiterates
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by AjanleKoko: 1:54pm On Oct 12, 2013
tunapa2009:
It is relative. Why do you give to the church? Why do you give to the poor? Answer these two questions?

I assume this question of yours is not the classic Nigerian rhetorical retort grin seeing as you answered my question with another one.

I give to the poor all the time, not just money, but my time and knowledge. As for church I only give towards causes I can identify with.
'We wan build superchurch' or 'We wan buy jet'' doesnt qualify for me. I am not that obsessed with religion.

I give to the poor here because I feel they need to be empowered, at least in these parts. As for church, I recognize their contribution towards the well-being of the nation, and offer required administrative support. However, I won't be a party to any white-elephant projects, driven by delusions of grandeur.

Shikena.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by FOREXMARTS: 11:26am On Oct 13, 2013
When ur earning money, pay ur tithe, seed, offering but when ur down in the ditch with no food in ur tummy they tell you the lord is ur strength but still pay ur tithe and offering gaddamn it. All they do is exthort, exthort and exthort. When u need help they say the lord is ur strength but when they need money they will preach giving up and down till u submit ur last card. Pastor the lord is ur strength too.

I have decided now to only go to church to worship God and network. No man is gonna talk me into releasing my cash to him again.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Ukutsgp(m): 1:07pm On Oct 13, 2013
If the pastors are using this money to take care of the poor people in church, i will nt have problem with them but they dont rather some use it for their personal needs. Some use it to build hotels, university and so on.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by mbulela: 2:09pm On Oct 14, 2013
The fact that churches are not doing enough actually highlights the resources available to the churches and painfully how a lot of it is being thrown away.
I will rather have a discussion on how churches welfare program (no matter how inadequate you and i think it is) has grown to become the only safety net for the poor in this country. If Churches were to cease charity work for a month in this country,I think there will be a total collapse of the polity.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by mbulela: 2:14pm On Oct 14, 2013
FOREXMARTS: When ur earning money, pay ur tithe, seed, offering but when ur down in the ditch with no food in ur tummy they tell you the lord is ur strength but still pay ur tithe and offering gaddamn it. All they do is exthort, exthort and exthort. When u need help they say the lord is ur strength but when they need money they will preach giving up and down till u submit ur last card. Pastor the lord is ur strength too.

I have decided now to only go to church to worship God and network. No man is gonna talk me into releasing my cash to him again.

I feel your pain. You still need to find a way to worship God with your finances. It is the Godly thing to do.
Most importantly,know God for yourself and know His Word and ignore extortionists?
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by PastorKun(m): 2:41pm On Oct 14, 2013
mbulela:

I feel your pain. You still need to find a way to worship God with your finances. It is the Godly thing to do.
Most importantly,know God for yourself and know His Word and ignore extortionists?

God has no need for us to worship him with our finances, he is more interested in our heart.

Acts 17:24
24 The God that made the world and all things therein, he, being Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 neither is he served by men's hands, as though he needed anything , seeing he himself giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by mbulela: 5:16pm On Oct 14, 2013
Pastor Kun:

God has no need for us to worship him with our finances, he is more interested in our heart.

Acts 17:24
24 The God that made the world and all things therein, he, being Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 neither is he served by men's hands, as though he needed anything , seeing he himself giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
I am not one of the Tithe bangers here but you and I know that God wants us to worship him with everything that we have.
No part of your life must be exempt from him. Worshipping him with your wealth does not mean being gullible and liable to extortionists. It means acknowledging him as the source of your increase and submitting it to him,just like you submit every other thing in your life to his service.
God is most interested in our heart but it must manifest in tangible means. A heart that is sold out to God cannot withhold its finance from God. Worshipping God with your finances does not equate to given him something he needs.
Abraham obviously knows that God did not need Isaac but because his heart was sold out to God, He did not consider Isaac too much of a possession to withhold from God.
Guy,worshipping God with your finances is much more than tithes.
Tithes na small pikin things.
Hirelings are just using it to manipulate some gullible folks.
How can a person whose heart is sold out to God be debating over 10%? while some are asking dumb questions about gross and net income. Just pay your basic bills one month and in amazement at His wonder,just tell am say "Baba you too much. On top giving you my heart, i am giving you all of my income this month as an act of worship" and he will just direct you to one missionary wey dey hinder lands of Taraba. you just wire the entire money to the man and his family. Or you just walk up to that family wey dey forever trek to church and their poverty dey evident to all. Just tell the man make he and his wife write list for the month. Carry them enter market and embarrass them with blessings until your salary account empty.
Notice i did not say anything about special offering or building project or even prophet's seed.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by alex1612: 10:25am On Oct 17, 2013
CharliParker: Lets emulate from TB JOSHUA he is a good example, he has no private jet but he insist in helping people not only in Nigeria but around the world, thats why God is blessing him the more, not private Jet this time

Mattew 6 Vs 2- Therefore when thou doest thine alms(given), do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrates do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily l say unto you. They have their reward.
Vs 3- But When thou doest alms(given), let not thy left hand know(i.e your closest friend) what thy right hand doeth:
Vs 4- That thine alms(given) may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

So, because others don't show their own on screen? Hear the Truth, They don't need human being to glorify them, but God.Don't be deceived by human physical good work. Have you ever thought of wickedness they do in their hidden places?

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by kid7soccer(m): 11:17pm On Oct 17, 2013
Can u explain all u just said
Ukuts gp: @pastor prosper. I wonder if that name suit you. Let me tell you, stop wallowing and basking in d epheora of mammoth ignorance and asininity, And liberate ur mind from monumental delusion. Meanwhile let me maintain my state of equanimity and conviviality so that this thread will not be turned into verbal feud and celerous disputation. Pls state ur point without name calling. Thanks.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Ukutsgp(m): 7:15pm On Dec 20, 2013
kid7soccer: Can u explain all u just said
why not?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo's Caananland: Are The Shapes Demonic? / Christianity Vs. The Old Gods Of Nigeria / How You Can Know For Sure That You Will Go To Heaven When You Die

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.