Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,177 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop (15305 Views)

Demon Is Occupying Enugu Government House – Archbishop Chukwuma / Buhari & Other APC Leaders With Archbishop Of Owerri (Photo) / Jonathan, Dickson, Archbishop Trade Words at Azazi's Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Buddydogg(m): 8:18am On Oct 07, 2013
Catholic Archbishop of Jos, Most Rev. Ignatius Kaigama, on Sunday rued the prolonged strike by members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, saying he had lost sympathy for the lecturers.

Kaigama, who spoke at the 80th Anniversary of St. Theresa’s Catholic Church in Jos, Plateau State, said that members of ASUU had lost focus on the cause for their battle.

The cleric said that ASUU, by allowing the strike to linger and allowing students to stay at home for four months running, had exhibited utter insensitivity to the plight of Nigerian students and their future.

He said he regretted that the association had failed to yield to pleas from all quarters, including the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria, stressing that ASUU had shown that it was fighting for other causes other than the future of education in the country.

Kaigama said, “Initially I was with ASUU, but when they have allowed the students to stay at home for four months now they begin to lose my sympathy. You don’t go on a strike for a long time, especially in a sector like education, which is the bedrock of the development of any society.

“You said you are fighting for the students and have allowed them to stay at home for more than four months, you must be fighting for something else. You have made your point and all I expect is that they should have listened to all the pleadings by Nigerians, including the Catholic Bishops Conference, which has just ended its meeting in Benue State and where we appealed to ASUU, in the interest of Nigerian students, to go back to the classroom”

Meanwhile, Kwara State Governor Abdulfatai Ahmed has joined others who have been begging ASUU to sheathe its sword. Ahmed appealed to the striking university teachers to reconsider their stance and return to the classroom.

Ahmed made the call while speaking with journalists in Abuja on the sidelines of the 2013 World Teachers’ Day Celebration where he received the NUT Award of Excellence alongside his counterparts from Enugu and Yobe states, Sullivan Chime and Ibrahim Geidam respectively.

The governor expressed the confidence that the Federal Government would soon end the protracted industrial action.

“I am sure the Federal Government is looking at the industrial action critically to ensure that all areas of dispute are brought to an understanding that will bring to an end the current dispute,” he said.

The National President of the Nigeria Union of Teachers, Mr. Michael Olukoye, while fielding questions from journalists reiterated his advice to the Federal Government to set up a team comprising the President, President of the Senate, Speaker of the House of Representatives and former presidents like Chief Olusegun Obasanjo and representatives of the Vice Chancellors to meet with ASUU and find a common ground to resolve the impasse.

Olukoye observed that members of ASUU refused to call off despite the government’s commitment because of lack of confidence in the government.

He said, “Immediately we gave that ultimatum the first person to invite us was the Minister of Labour and the Supervising Minister for Education, we met with them and they told us all that they have been able to do to put the matter behind us.

“We have not been able to meet with ASUU but we advised that if these people said they need about N400bn and you have been able to provide N130bn, well, to all intent and purposes, it is a good beginning.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/i-have-lost-sympathy-for-ASUU-jos-archbishop/

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by hammedkola(m): 8:30am On Oct 07, 2013
Too long to read, but from the topic....I have lost interest as well, now looking for a greener pasture

+

Thumbs up to MTN network, Y'all know why wink

4 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by chumakk: 8:43am On Oct 07, 2013
he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day

3 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:48am On Oct 07, 2013
Well, i ain't a student but i hope they call off this stup!d strike cos its killing am biz at ago iwoye undecided

2 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by hammedkola(m): 8:52am On Oct 07, 2013
chumakk: he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day

Yes you are right, but you know what?
...runs away to fight another day when he 'll be powerful enough to fight back. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by AnodaIT(m): 9:25am On Oct 07, 2013
Buddy dogg:
The cleric said that [b]ASUU, by
allowing the strike to linger
and
allowing students to stay at
home for four months running,
had exhibited utter insensitivity
to the plight of Nigerian
students and their future.
Sir, abeg to disagree. You are wrong
It is the FG that allows the strike to linger.
Is it not shameful that no Nigerian University is in the top 1000 in the world and government cannot implement the Agreement they sign to upgrade our universities.

instead of pressuring ASUU , turn that attention to the FG that are spending so much to maintain themselves

25 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Buddydogg(m): 12:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
this nice sha.
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by tonididdy(m): 12:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
Teacher:- ''what is 1+1?''
Children: ''8"
Teacher: "correct" what is 2+5?
Children: "14"
Teacher:- "correct"
Teacher:- "what is 4+6? Children:"20 Teacher:-"corr ct, Who is d president of nigeria?
Children. Olamide
Teacher. Correct, Who is d president of America?
Children. Tiwa Savage
Teacher. Correct
Teacher:- Good it's gonna Remain like that until government increases my salary!

8 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Buddydogg(m): 12:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
AnodaIT:
Sir, abeg to disagree. You are wrong
It is the FG that allows the strike to linger.
Is it not shameful that no Nigerian University is in the top 1000 in the world and government cannot implement the Agreement they sign to upgrade our universities.

instead of pressuring ASUU , turn that attention to the FG that are spending so much to maintain themselves
what your prof.
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Big4wig(m): 12:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
Any government or leadership that fail to accord education priority in its desire for development is more than useless..

Btw HOW TO CROSS ROAD IN NAIJA......
Look right nd left for cars and bikes, look
up
for aeroplane, down for bomb, back for
kidnappers, look side, hold your bag
tight
and watch the person beside you. Then
walk
zig zag to avoid stray bullet

4 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 07, 2013
i lost sympathy for them long tym ago

3 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Meringe(m): 12:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
With due respect Your Lordship sir, if this strike will revamp our educational system and stop this half bake graduates syndrome then I am in fully support of it. It is better to strike now and get things right than going on strike every year.
But my problem is that, even if u give the lectures billion dollars, they will still ask for sorting and sexually harass their female students.

I will advice the president to heed to their demand then establish a strong Enforcement Unit in the varsities to take care of any one caught sorting or harassing any female student, outright SACK.

8 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Buddydogg(m): 1:00pm On Oct 07, 2013
Enangson: i lost sympathy for them long tym ago
you not the only one brother

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by gboso1ne(m): 1:00pm On Oct 07, 2013
Team #AsuuStrikeMustContinue *HIT LIKE*

12 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by moscobabs(m): 1:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
me too
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Pataki: 1:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
What an utterly daft Archbishop.

Why not lose your eediotic sympathy for the FG that fails to honor an agreement?

What manner of evil beings continue to cloak themselves as men of gods in this country?!

6 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by wasak(m): 1:03pm On Oct 07, 2013
ASUU... Hassu... azzu... hasu... assu...aasu... asu... azsu...
pls nao!!!! I've forgotten ol I was taught pls pls Aszu pls #crying # Oh God...!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Georgesmartt(m): 1:03pm On Oct 07, 2013
I have read a lot about ASUU's plight to the FG but I still think that ASUU are not doing any good to Nigerian students, They should device other means of getting the FG to comply with their demands because this strike is really slowing the Nation down in some aspects.

3 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Letters2Go(f): 1:04pm On Oct 07, 2013
I sincerely pray that when this strike is over and the terms have been met, the standard and quality of the education in this country will greatly improve because the lady that gave a testimony in church yesterday who kept repeating that she was the only graduate in her family put all graduates to shame with her grammar.

7 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by gboso1ne(m): 1:04pm On Oct 07, 2013
Our archbishop saying 130 bn is a good beginning like say na Iraq he dey wen FG sign this agreement since 2009,

if FG no implement am,make ASUU no just griey because me I no go fit stay house coz of strike afta dis 1 o

2 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by nen4: 1:04pm On Oct 07, 2013
SPEECHLESS
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 07, 2013
We have all lost sympathy for them. They're jst selfish.

4 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 07, 2013
The way I see it, ASUU doesn't need your sympathy because this heartless organization of thieving and corrupt lecturers, are determined to STRIKE more than MESSI AND C RONALDO combined together undecided

3 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by gerrardomendes(m): 1:08pm On Oct 07, 2013
wetin happen? ASUU papa die?
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by stephano100(m): 1:09pm On Oct 07, 2013
gboso1ne: Team #AsuuStrikeMustContinue *HIT LIKE*
ur papa na lecturer?

1 Like

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Emmzalon: 1:11pm On Oct 07, 2013
gboso1ne: Team #AsuuStrikeMustContinue *HIT LIKE*

Lol..ur GPA mustt be faulty

2 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by chinedugreat(m): 1:11pm On Oct 07, 2013
dis president of ASUU r we sure if his children r here studying or if all his children hav graduated?becus if he hav a parental care he should accept de offer and cal off de strike.he wish nigerian bt he should think twice.

3 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by taharqa: 1:11pm On Oct 07, 2013
The cleric said that ASUU, by allowing the strike to linger and allowing students to stay at home for four months running, had exhibited utter insensitivity to the plight of Nigerian students and their future.

He said he regretted that the association had failed to yield to pleas from all quarters, including the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria, stressing that ASUU had shown that it was fighting for other causes other than the future of education in the country

My Load Bishop, you are beginning to get it now.....

2 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by YoshiMaster: 1:12pm On Oct 07, 2013
Letters2Go: I sincerely pray that when this strike is over and the terms have been met, the standard and quality of the education in this country will greatly improve because the lady that gave a testimony in church yesterday who kept repeating that she was the only graduate in her family put all graduates to shame with her grammar.

Was her speeches that worse?
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by propzncribz: 1:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
Its simple, any lecturer that fails to turn up to class should be sacked with immiadiate effect. I mean in a society where you have millions of people looking for job, some are doing shakara. Nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
mm
Re: I Have Lost Sympathy For ASUU – Jos Archbishop by Buddydogg(m): 1:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
let just hope they answer your plead??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2015 Jonathan Rally: Enugu State Government Declares Thursday Work-free Day / Ize-iyamu Lied, Ambode Not In Edo- LASG / Goodluck Jonathan's Easter Message To Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.