Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,672 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' (1839 Views)

Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. / Hausa / Fulani Men (pictures) / Beautiful Hausa / Fulani / Kanuri Brides (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by Baaballiyo(m): 12:21pm On Apr 14, 2016
MISCONCEPTIONS AND REALITIES ABOUT THE USAGE OF THE EXPRESSION
" HAUSA FULANI"

The expression Hausa Fulani is wrongly use by most people (especially those from the Southern part of Nigeria) to refer to the ethnicity of the people of Northern Nigeria. Most Southerners have this misconception that any person from North of the country is Hausa Fulani. To further the misconception some Northerners when asked about their ethnicity they always replied with; Hausa fulani (I am also guilty of thus).

THE REALITY

Not all Northerners are Hausa Fulani ( Infact some Fulanis are Fulani only and some Hausas are only Hausa) there are numerous Northerners that have their own language and culture though hardly you find a single adult amongst them who cannot speak the Hausa language. This set of people are mostly found in North-east and North-central parts of Nigeria, in states like Borno, Adamawa, Taraba, Niger, Nassarawa and Kaduna among others. Some of the languages found around these areas include ; Kanuri, Nupe, Gwari, Janjo, Bachama, Wurkum, Mumuye, Kona, Jukun, Tiv, Igbara, babur and Igala to mention but a few.

Then Who are the Hausa fulani ??

In reality Hausa fulani are a set of people found among the people Inhibiting the North-western part of Nigeria, which comprises of Jigawa, Kano, Katsina, Zamfara, Sokoto and Kebbi states including some part of Kaduna state: Kaduna North to be specific ( Not to be confused with Kaduna North Local Government Area).

Originally this region was wholly occupied and ruled by the Hausa people, but some where between the 15th and 16th century the Fulani people started immigrating and settling in this region, some as nomads and others as Clerics and advisers in the courts of some Hausa Kings.

In 1804 " Shehu Usumanu Dan Fodiyo" (Usman Fodio) lead an Islamic renaissance that toppled almost all the Hausa ruling dynasties, this singular action (of Shehu Usman) is what culminated into the intermix of Hausa and Fulani people. Henceforth giving rise to "Hausa Fulani."

But politically the expression 'Hausa fulani' is use by the North-westerners not only to identify those intermix breed but also to refer to the ethnicity of the whole indigenous population living in this region who are either Hausa, Fulani or both.

So in essence, when any person uses the expression 'Hausa Fulani', that person is knowingly or un-knowingly referring to either of the followings:

1) Hausa as a separate tribe and Fulani as a separate tribe, but all of them living together in one region.

2) A set of people found in Northwestern Nigeria who due to inter-marriage between their Hausa and Fulani ancestors can no longer distinguish between; wether they are Hausa or Fulani. But these people know that they are a product of both, hence they always identify themselves as "Hausa fulani.

3) A set of people in the Northwest, who are full blooded Fulani but have lost their Fula language and part of the fulani culture, they adopted the Hausa language and some part of the Hausa Culture. So they have fulani blood and look every bit Fulani but can not speak the Fulani language, they speak Hausa as their first language.

So next time you use the expression "Hausa fulani" be sure of what you mean by the expression.

Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by GorkoSusaay: 5:00pm On Apr 14, 2016
Baaballiyo:
MISCONCEPTIONS AND REALITIES ABOUT THE USE OF THE EXPRESSION
" HAUSA FULANI"

The expression Hausa Fulani is wrongly use by most people (especially those from the Southern part of Nigeria) to refer to the ethnicity of the people of Northern Nigeria. Most Southerners have this misconception that any person from North of the country is Hausa Fulani. To further the misconception some Northerners when asked about their ethnicity they always replied with; Hausa fulani (I am also guilty of thus).

THE REALITY

Not all Northerners are Hausa Fulani ( Infact some Fulanis are Fulani only and some Hausas are only Hausa) there are numerous Northerners that have their own language and culture though hardly you find a single adult amongst them who cannot speak the Hausa language. This set of people are mostly found in North-east and North-central parts of Nigeria, in states like Borno, Adamawa, Taraba, Niger, Nassarawa and Kaduna among others. Some of the languages found around these areas include ; Kanuri, Nupe, Gwari, Janjo, Bachama, Wurkum, Mumuye, Kona, Jukun, Tiv, Igbara, babur and Igala to mention but a few.

In reality Hausa fulani are a set of people found among the people Inhibiting the North-western part of Nigeria, which comprises of Jigawa, Kano, Katsina, Zamfara, Sokoto and Kebbi states including some part of Kaduna state: Kaduna North to be specific ( Not to be confused with Kaduna North Local Government Area).

Originally this region was wholly occupied and ruled by the Hausa people, but some where between the 15th and 16th century the Fulani people started immigrating and settling in this region, some as nomads and others as Clerics and advisers in the courts of some Hausa Kings.

In 1804 " Shehu Usumanu Dan Fodiyo" (Usman Fodio) lead an Islamic renaissance that toppled almost all the Hausa ruling dynasties, this singular action (of Shehu Usman) is what culminated into the intermix of Hausa and Fulani people. Henceforth giving rise to "Hausa Fulani."

But politically the expression 'Hausa fulani' is use by the North-westerners not only to identify those intermix breed but also to refer to the ethnicity of the whole indigenous population living in this region who are either Hausa, Fulani or both.

So in essence, when any person uses the expression 'Hausa Fulani', that person is knowingly or un-knowingly referring to either of the followings:

1) Hausa as a separate tribe and Fulani as a separate tribe, but all of them living together in one region.

2) A set of people found in Northwestern Nigeria who due to inter-marriage between their Hausa and Fulani ancestors can no longer distinguish between; wether they are Hausa or Fulani. But these people know that they are a product of both, hence they always identify themselves as "Hausa fulani.

3) A set of people in the Northwest, who are full blooded Fulani but have lost their Fula language and part of the fulani culture, they adopted the Hausa language and some part of the Hausa Culture. So they have fulani blood and look every bit Fulani but can not speak the Fulani language, they speak Hausa as their first language.

So next time you use the expression "Hausa fulani" be sure of what you mean by the expression.

Thanks.

Nice write-up Baabaaliyo. Very informative indeed.
Could we say that Hausa and Fulani have more or less the same culture since the 18th century? What I mean is that people of Kano, Sokoto and Jigawa, have the same cultural referents, whether they are Hausa or Fulani by descent.
The funny thing is that back home in Senegal, anybody that comes from Northern Nigeria is called "Hausa" even if they are Fulani like me. Mainly due to the language
Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by Baaballiyo(m): 1:08am On Apr 16, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

Could we say that Hausa and Fulani have more or less the same culture since the 18th century? What I mean is that people of Kano, Sokoto and Jigawa, have the same cultural referents, whether they are Hausa or Fulani by descent.
The funny thing is that back home in Senegal, anybody that comes from Northern Nigeria is called "Hausa" even if they are Fulani like me. Mainly due to the language

Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah Hausa and Fulani more or less have thesame culture in this region (Northwest), especially those living in Towns and Cities, the mutual culture is neither that of the Fulani nor Hausa, it's more of Islam. You will see that names, weddings, Festivals and mode of dressing are mostly done according to the Islamic teachings mainly, though there are some little variations in they way some Fulani do theirs.

Yeah Everybody Like to refer to us as Hausas even here in Nigeria, provided u speak Hausa fluently and u are from Northern Nigeria they will call u Hausa.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by okuneddie(m): 2:26pm On Apr 18, 2016
Baaballiyo:
MISCONCEPTIONS AND REALITIES ABOUT THE USE OF THE EXPRESSION
" HAUSA FULANI"

THE REALITY

Thanks.

nice write up op....I use to think all northerners are Hausa Fulani till I served in Taraba state...u also know lots of Taraba tribes....I served in Kona village Jalingo
Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by Fulaman198(m): 10:53pm On Apr 19, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

I don't think the Senegalese should make that mistake. Not every Fulani in Nigeria can speak Hausa. Some just speak Fulfulde. The Fulbe in Taraba, Adamawa, Gombe, etc. are true Fulani. Yes, it is true that most Fulani in Nigeria can speak Hausa (most certainly not the other way around), but we call ourselves Fulbe (pullo singular).

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by GorkoSusaay: 11:16pm On Apr 19, 2016
Fulaman198:

I don't think the Senegalese should make that mistake. Not every Fulani in Nigeria can speak Hausa. Some just speak Fulfulde. The Fulbe in Taraba, Adamawa, Gombe, etc. are true Fulani. Yes, it is true that most Fulani in Nigeria can speak Hausa (most certainly not the other way around), but we call ourselves Fulbe (pullo singular).

It's due to the fact that most the Hausa-Fulani we get in contact the most are the disciples of Shaykh Ibrahim Niasse of Kaolack. They are usually from Kano, Zaria and Bauchi and are incorrectly labelled as "Hausa".
How are you though? Long time
Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by Fulaman198(m): 11:21pm On Apr 19, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

It's due to the fact that most the Hausa-Fulani we get in contact the most are the disciples of Shaykh Ibrahim Niasse of Kaolack. They are usually from Kano, Zaria and Bauchi and are incorrectly labelled as "Hausa".
How are you though? Long time

Jam palam e an bo bandiraawo? Noy koreeji ma(Comment est ta famille en Adamawaare)? Noy kugal (golle)? I have been so busy with a lot of computing working both in real life and on here with tutorials. I'm working on a very interactive AI for a game I'm creating that I hope to finish by 2018. It's very stressful so I don't have as much time anymore for much else.

What you are saying though makes sense. I understand wholeheartedly.
Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by GorkoSusaay: 11:30pm On Apr 19, 2016
Fulaman198:

Jam palam e an bo bandiraawo? Noy koreeji ma(Comment est ta famille en Adamawaare)? Noy kugal (golle)? I have been so busy with a lot of computing working both in real life and on here with tutorials. I'm working on a very interactive AI for a game I'm creating that I hope to finish by 2018. It's very stressful so I don't have as much time anymore for much else.

What you are saying though makes sense. I understand wholeheartedly.

Mawdumni Alhamdulillah. E bey jamm fof.
Keep up the good work bandam. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Yo Allah walluma
Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by Fulaman198(m): 11:35pm On Apr 19, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

Mawdumni Alhamdulillah. E bey jamm fof.
Keep up the good work bandam. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Yo Allah walluma

Woodi sanne bandam, a jaraama sanne! I really appreciate the kind compliments and wish you and your loved ones the greatest things this life has to offer. Yo Allah yaaru yonki yesso!

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by GorkoSusaay: 11:55pm On Apr 19, 2016
Fulaman198:

Woodi sanne bandam, a jaraama sanne! I really appreciate the kind compliments and wish you and your loved ones the greatest things this life has to offer. Yo Allah yaaru yonki yesso!

Amin ya rabbi.Yo Allah junnuu baldema

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by Fulaman198(m): 12:00am On Apr 20, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

Amin ya rabbi.Yo Allah junnuu baldema

A jaraama sanne Modibbo! Allah sabinane!

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by Baaballiyo(m): 12:48am On Apr 20, 2016
okuneddie:

nice write up op....I use to think all northerners are Hausa Fulani till I served in Taraba state...u also know lots of Taraba tribes....I served in Kona village Jalingo

What a coincidence, I also served in Taraba...... In Lau Local Government.
Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by okuneddie(m): 4:42pm On Apr 20, 2016
Baaballiyo:

What a coincidence, I also served in Taraba...... In Lau Local Government.

no wonder u know a lot about the tribes there.....lau us very close to jalingo
Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by Baaballiyo(m): 6:28pm On Apr 20, 2016
okuneddie:

no wonder u know a lot about the tribes there.....lau us very close to jalingo

yeah, actually I lived in Jalingo, I used to made transit btw it (Jalingo) and Lau
Re: Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' by Fulaman198(m): 8:49pm On Apr 20, 2016
Very great post.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Check This Out If You Want To See Culture At It's Finest / African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills / Zulus, Ashantis, Ibos N Yorubas, Who Are The Greatests?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.