Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,935 members, 7,817,726 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? (16617 Views)

Graduates Job Applications At Julius Berger Nigeria Plc(numerous Positions) / The Horrible Truth About Online Job Applications. / Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by funkyprof: 3:22am On Oct 11, 2013
@imperiouxx, I don't know how well LinkedIn works in Nigeria but I will give it a try. The annoying thing is that companies keep asking for experience, if graduates are not being employed in jobs or internships, where will the experience come from?

Some go as far as listing 24-26yrs as a requirement in their job description and using age as a requirement in employment is discrimination. In standard HR practice, you do not need to put your age, religion, state of origin or even marital status in an application as it is a basis for bias but in Nigeria, everything goes. And as ASUU is almost always on strike, how do companies actually believe that students will graduate at the age of 24-26? Except you are schooling in a private university or abroad which is not subject to ASUU strike.

Truth be told, companies are been unrealistic in their job descriptions and requirements. Most are unwilling to train employees and even when you end up training yourself with certifications, most are reluctant to offer anything other than peanuts.

May God help us all.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by talisman35(m): 7:38am On Oct 11, 2013
can somebody in the house give me information about hospitality interview questions?
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:12am On Oct 11, 2013
faakay: @poster

Most employers are looking for experienced candidates, u must have failed some questions during interview.

I have opportuned to interview some candidates, some aint smart and don't have any idea of what the companies does.

You should make research about what d companies does, empower ursef get some certifications. But most companies employee new graduate as a trainee or interns.

The company I currently work for is currently recruiting candidates for internship.

Send me a PM, I can help you to talk to the operation manager about it.

I got the reply from Nairaland that too many anonymous mails...this is my mail addy jiga_saw@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Paulscholari(m): 8:18am On Oct 11, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Scammer
try it bro..its not a scam
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by SenatorJames(m): 9:20am On Oct 11, 2013
Firstly, I want to congratulate you on your comendable achievement in the University.

Since we are in the era of "3-5 yrs post service experience", please take up casual job like teaching to gather experience.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Ezegozie(m): 9:34am On Oct 11, 2013
GeneralShepherd: Today will be my one year anniversary of temporary stay at home job(lol) after NYSC, in this one year I send out an average of 5 job applications a day not to talk of the ones i sent out during my youth service. that is roughly about 1500 job applications all online.

I have had only written 6 tests invites 2 online and 4 others at dragnet. In the 6, I made it to the interview stage on four of these occassions but was not hired anyway.

(I know I should have passed all six and made all interviews but i simply couldn't, though I keep working on improving my interview skills and aptitude test abilities)

But my question is do online job applications work? If yes how can i make my job applications more effective?

If no, please kindly tell me the alternatives because Owu wan kill me for here....

Mods please can this topic get to the front-page so I can sample different opinions... thanks

@ OP, i don't really know why but reading ur story just made my heart full of fear for the future.

I am a final year geology student in UNIZIK.

Though i am still too young and naive to advise you, but i suggest that you go for your masters while applying for Job, instead of not doing anything at all.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by nellyelitz(m): 9:52am On Oct 11, 2013
DMainMan:

Send me your CV and cover letter to my mail. Lets c if we can improve it to b mor enterprising.
pls help me forward ur refined format 2me via(nellyelitz714@gmail.com). Tanx alot!
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by WinkWrld: 8:00pm On Oct 11, 2013
everyone should get themselves occupied. 70% of the people doing the 9-5jobs are really unhappy and can barely have a savings. is that what you want to do with your time and knowledge? Get a tech-no how knowledge and do your thing. Goodluck
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by rammytt(m): 11:46am On Oct 12, 2013
Idolys:

Can you tell us what happens to those who finished from Zamfara state ? sad

sorry.did i say zamfara?..i meant to say Borno state,precisely UNIMAID
Can you tell us what happens to those who finished from Zamfara state ?
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by rammytt(m): 11:47am On Oct 12, 2013
[quote author=Idolys]

Can you tell us what happens to those who finished from Zamfara state ? sad

sorry.did i say zamfara?..i meant to say Borno state,precisely UNIMAID
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 12, 2013
Ah... Op, I am so happy right now. I know I commented here some days ago.

Okay, I was talking to my sister on phone and she told me her husband has secured a job in Switzerland. I asked how he did and she said via online application.

Mind you, they are not in naija o. If naija job listing does not work, try foreign.

Meanwhile, me I still dey serve but I sure know that I Will street the street.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 1:32pm On Oct 12, 2013
2s£xy:
Ah... Op, I am so happy right now. I know I commented here some days ago.

Okay, I was talking to my sister on phone and she told me her husband has secured a job in Switzerland. I asked how he did and she said via online application.

Mind you, they are not in naija o. If naija job listing does not work, try foreign.

Meanwhile, me I still dey serve but I sure know that I Will street the street.

I thought one needs a work permit to even apply to foreign countries
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 12, 2013
Yes, but if you get lucky, the company will handle all that for you.

Try all avenues bro. Last year, a nairalander's husband secured one from Naija straight to Norway or so. He has experience in the industry which may have given him an edge because One thing I have learnt is that when you get experience in your field, job search becomes a little easier. It's quite tough when you have non.

Try some guerilla tactics bro...

I will street the street when it's time. cool
GeneralShepherd:

I thought one needs a work permit to even apply to foreign countries
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by flexxee(m): 7:45pm On Oct 15, 2013
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:51pm On Oct 15, 2013
flexxee: Online applications work 4 some pple but not 4 some. Its all abt luck. Just like u in my case I av nt been dat lucky. Its bn abt 5 yrs now since I finished nysc after graduatin frm a Fed university wit 2:1 degree in Computer science. Not to say I av nt bn working @all. I av bn doin low paying jobs jst to garner skills & experience & I av professional IT certifications with very sound IT skills. Inspite of d hundreds of applications & few job interviews am stil wit no job I can b proud of or call a gud job. I dnt tink its abt yr class of degree 1 graduated wit anymore or perfornance @ interviews. its abt d rot & corruption in d Nigerian system. Nepotism, favoritism & man no man are prevalent in d work places. Nigeria is a messed country, may God help d graduates.

One day.you'll smile

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by flexxee(m): 11:48am On Oct 17, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

One day.you'll smile
Amen.Thank u my broda.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Joniboi(m): 1:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
flexxee: Online applications work 4 some pple but not 4 some. Its all abt luck. Just like u in my case I av nt been dat lucky. Its bn abt 5 yrs now since I finished nysc after graduatin frm a Fed university wit 2:1 degree in Computer science. Not to say I av nt bn working @all. I av bn doin low paying jobs jst to garner skills & experience & I av professional IT certifications with very sound IT skills. Inspite of d hundreds of applications & few job interviews am stil wit no job I can b proud of or call a gud job. I dnt tink its abt yr class of degree 1 graduated wit anymore or perfornance @ interviews. its abt d rot & corruption in d Nigerian system. Nepotism, favoritism & man no man are prevalent in d work places. Nigeria is a messed country, may God help d graduates.
Which part of Nigeria do you stay? I have a job opening for you.

2 Likes

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by hariorh: 1:55pm On Oct 17, 2013
Joniboi: Which part of Nigeria do you stay? I have a job opening for you.

Bless U bro. Thats how life is meant to be... Giving each other a helping hand...

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by flexxee(m): 10:28pm On Oct 18, 2013
Joniboi: Which part of Nigeria do you stay? I have a job opening for you.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by olamisegbe(m): 10:58pm On Oct 18, 2013
Pls my fellow NL, is teaching part of experience? I am a graduate of Geophysics graduated with 2.1, teaching in a reputable school with peanut as salary, my dream is to practice my field,though I have written dragnet tests which pushed me to the interview stages but I have never been called, recently, most of the job I have been applying for online has not been calling me for aptitude test, was it due to my experince- do I need to upgrade my CV with my teaching experince? Pls I need a gud job.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by flexxee(m): 11:22pm On Oct 18, 2013
olamisegbe: Pls my fellow NL, is teaching part of experience? I am a graduate of Geophysics graduated with 2.1, teaching in a reputable school with peanut as salary, my dream is to practice my field,though I have written dragnet tests which pushed me to the interview stages but I have never been called, recently, most of the job I have been applying for online has not been calling me for aptitude test, was it due to my experince- do I need to upgrade my CV with my teaching experince? Pls I need a gud job.
My broda if u are applying 4 jobs relating to yr field of study and u put teaching experience it won't help yr cause at all. I suggest u create a separate CV 4 dat....
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:58pm On May 19, 2016
When men were boys! How time flies
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Chidizman(m): 10:42pm On May 19, 2016
GeneralShepherd:
When men were boys! How time flies

Hope you later got your dream Job?
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:53pm On May 19, 2016
Chidizman:

Hope you later got your dream Job?

I didn't get my 'dream' job, I got a job shortly after, then went for my Msc in England. Now I live in Australia

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by InZA: 11:17pm On May 19, 2016
GeneralShepherd:

I didn't get my 'dream' job, I got a job shortly after, then went for my Msc in England. Now I live in Australia

Wow!! Sooo happy for you bro.

God keep you soaring higher!
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by nelhrt: 11:19pm On May 19, 2016
Vacancy
Male Spa therapist job

Job brief

We are looking for a male spa therapist to provide professional and engaging wellness therapies and massage treatments to our clients. You will offer a full range of treatments to fulfill different client needs and objectives.

Responsibilities

Deliver a variety of spa services (body treatments, massages, facials, waxing, manicure/pedicure)

in a safe and comfortable manner
Maintain equipment and sample inventory of products

Keep documentation and maintain clients files

Keep a clean and stocked room
Acknowledge and respond to relevant customer queries, needs and expectations

Suggest and promote retail products or additional services

Uphold hygiene standards and follow health and safety regulations

Cooperate with and report on administration on any arising issues

Apply best practices and be up to date with market trends
Requirements

Experience in sales and marketing will be considered an asset

Excellent knowledge of English language

Communication and customer service skills, positive attitude

Qualifications

User level computer skills

Minimum of O,level certification

6ft tall and strong to medium built

Physically and mentally fit

Passionate with good sense of humor

Qualified applicants will undergo a three months paid internship training to meet Tooshme Beauty and spa's standard, after which would be fully staffed based on performance.

This opportunity will be more favorable to males residing around ikeja and ogba environment. Call 08093185003 or 0809 723 6284 to schedule an interview date.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Chidizman(m): 11:29am On May 20, 2016
Modified

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Odd 'jobs' You Did During NYSC / 7up Nigeria Recruitment 2018 / How Can A Biochemistry Graduate Become A MLS Professional?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.