Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS (50305 Views)

How To Confirm TIN From FIRS / Procedures To Get Approval For Multipurpose Cooperative Society / How To Get TIN (Tax Identification Number) From FIRS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by Smooyis(m): 11:19pm On Oct 10, 2013
israel007: Same day.

After we did our company registration, I went to the bank GTBank to open an account. Their corporate account opening requirement isn't as stringent and unnecessary like the other bank. When we got there, they requested for a TIN which we didn't have so we had to go the FIRS to go apply. On getting there, they asked where our registered office is and upon telling them it was in lekki, we were directed to their island office. When we got there, see wahala. They were asking for things even CAC didn't ask us. And one week later we were still on it. I went to the bank and I was referred to their contact person who charged us 1k. We paid at about 10 am and by 2 pm of same day they were calling us to come collect our certificate.

Thats #1,000. Naija and corruption. Oga o!
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by godello: 12:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
oshanka: Please I need an opinion , registered a business name 5 years ago, and opened an account with it the same year , during d last update exercise out of negligence did not get a TIN. Still using the account but intend to get a TIN now, what penalties would i pay and hope it would not be clumsy having operated the account off and on in the last five years. Thank you
i think 5k from the month u started business with your acct.
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by oshanka: 10:42am On Oct 12, 2013
Thanks godello , more informed comments are welcomed.
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by ProfTayour(m): 12:13pm On Oct 12, 2013
I registered a business name last year August and was at FIRS office to obtain TIN last week, i was told to pay #10,000 for late registration or something like that... Please isn't there a way around this?
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by mikeywise(m): 7:53pm On Oct 12, 2013
ProfTayour: I registered a business name last year August and was at FIRS office to obtain TIN last week, i was told to pay #10,000 for late registration or something like that... Please isn't there a way around this?
You dont need to pay to obtain TIN because its free.
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by oneblacboi: 6:30am On Oct 14, 2013
This is totally false! I wonder where you got this from

meetgaya:
for the first one month is free. the 2nd month is N10,000.00, the 3rd month is N20,000.00 etc
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by oneblacboi: 6:32am On Oct 14, 2013
Some tax offices would just hit you with unnecessary liabilities even when you are not supposed to pay just to meet their revenue targets. To be safe, always ensure you register your business with FIRS within six months of incorporation

ProfTayour: I registered a business name last year August and was at FIRS office to obtain TIN last week, i was told to pay #10,000 for late registration or something like that... Please isn't there a way around this?
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by oneblacboi: 6:50am On Oct 14, 2013
So many misconceptions on this thread! Let me clear the air as an experienced tax consultant that has helped hundreds of companies with this process and other tax related matters.

First of all, a TIN is FREE! To obtain a TIN you have to present your incorporation documents, a completed FIRS taxpayer input form stamped with your official stamp. Note however, as a result o FIRS' unstructured methods of operation, different tax offices may require slightly different documents which may include an application letter.

Secondly, some tax offices would only issue you TIN numbers when you register for VAT and Companies Income Tax hence some extra documents would be required.

Thirdly, according to the tax laws, you should register for VAT six months after commencement of your business otherwise, you would be liable to a penalty of N10,000 for the first month of default and N5,000 for subsequent months. However, a company might have been registered with CAC 20 years ago and might have not commenced business. In this case, the company is not liable to pay any penalty. The tax authorities on the other hand knowing how fraudulent taxpayers can be claiming not to have commenced business whereas they have operations running for years usually require that at least a N10,000 penalty is paid for any company register later that six months ago whether the business claims to have commenced business or not. Once again, this doesn't happen at all the FIRS offices. One FIRS office with this method is the YABA ITO on Murtala Mohammed Road.

Fourth, if for any reason, you are to pay a penalty, never pay cash to a officer rather, always pay through the bank where you would obtain an e-ticket for payment.

Finally, when you register with the tax office, there are certain things now required of you. One of the numerous requirements is monthly filing of VAT returns and other tax payments. For this reason i always advise people to engage the services of a tax consultant as tax is generally like babalawo things. it looks so simple until you get into it and realize there is much more than you bargained for.

I would be happy to answer further questions on this subject matter. However, before you ask a question, ensure you read the entire thread first.

You can contact a competent team of tax advisors through the following details:

www.shelze.com.ng
info@shelze.com.ng
0817-014-4053

Regards

5 Likes

Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by oshanka: 7:39am On Oct 14, 2013
Thanks so much oneblacboi , that was a pretty precise explanation.

1 Like

Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by meetgaya: 12:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
oneblacboi: So many misconceptions on this thread! Let me clear the air as an experienced tax consultant that has helped hundreds of companies with this process and other tax related matters.

First of all, a TIN is FREE! To obtain a TIN you have to present your incorporation documents, a completed FIRS taxpayer input form stamped with your official stamp. Note however, as a result o FIRS' unstructured methods of operation, different tax offices may require slightly different documents which may include an application letter.

Secondly, some tax offices would only issue you TIN numbers when you register for VAT and Companies Income Tax hence some extra documents would be required.

Thirdly, according to the tax laws, you should register for VAT six months after commencement of your business otherwise, you would be liable to a penalty of N10,000 for the first month of default and N5,000 for subsequent months. However, a company might have been registered with CAC 20 years ago and might have not commenced business. In this case, the company is not liable to pay any penalty. The tax authorities on the other hand knowing how fraudulent taxpayers can be claiming not to have commenced business whereas they have operations running for years usually require that at least a N10,000 penalty is paid for any company register later that six months ago whether the business claims to have commenced business or not. Once again, this doesn't happen at all the FIRS offices. One FIRS office with this method is the YABA ITO on Murtala Mohammed Road.

Fourth, if for any reason, you are to pay a penalty, never pay cash to a officer rather, always pay through the bank where you would obtain an e-ticket for payment.

Finally, when you register with the tax office, there are certain things now required of you. One of the numerous requirements is monthly filing of VAT returns and other tax payments. For this reason i always advise people to engage the services of a tax consultant as tax is generally like babalawo things. it looks so simple until you get into it and realize there is much more than you bargained for.

I would be happy to answer further questions on this subject matter. However, before you ask a question, ensure you read the entire thread first.

Regards

most you pay education tax even if your company is yet to commence business? and how much?
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by ProfTayour(m): 11:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
oneblacboi: So many misconceptions on this thread! Let me clear the air as an experienced tax consultant that has helped hundreds of companies with this process and other tax related matters.

Regards

Thanks @ oneblacboi.

So, in that case i should not have to pay the 10,000 late registration penalty since i'm yet to commence business operation.

The staff i met at FIRS Ilorin insists. How do i convince them to get me the TIN without paying?

I need it to open a corporate bank account.

Thanks
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by oneblacboi: 8:27am On Oct 21, 2013
No! Education Tax is only paid along with company income tax and a business yet to commence is not liable to pay.

meetgaya:

most you pay education tax even if your company is yet to commence business? and how much?
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by oneblacboi: 8:29am On Oct 21, 2013
Well, like i highlighted in the post, the tax authorities cannot ascertain if you are telling the truth about commencement. Try to find a way to provide undeniable evidence that you have not commenced business. That should work.

ProfTayour:

Thanks @ oneblacboi.

So, in that case i should not have to pay the 10,000 late registration penalty since i'm yet to commence business operation.

The staff i met at FIRS Ilorin insists. How do i convince them to get me the TIN without paying?

I need it to open a corporate bank account.

Thanks
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by winniecool68: 9:12am On Jan 08, 2014
eddiebruk:

Oga it's not guaranteed to be same day, it all depends on the branch, how effective and customer concerned they are. although mine was next day, but i have seen some people whom theirs took more than 3days

please where can I find FIRS office in Lagos, is there any close to isolo?
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by Millionjeff: 7:26pm On Jul 03, 2014
You should have the following before you get to firs
*a coloured letter headed paper of your company (this is what you will use to apply for. TIN)
* the cac certificate, original (for sighting) and photocopy
*cac form A1 (that carries the photo(s) of the proprietor (s)) photocopy and original
*cac form 6 (that indicates the BN no) photocopy and original
*a company rubber stamp (you will need that to stamp the firs forms)
*on the firs form (VAT), you will be asked for company bank account, if you have one (I doubt this, cos most banks will ask for your TIN number before opening such) you can write "yet to be opened"
Then as soon as you get your TIN number, you can now go and open the account (just make sure you get a company seal ready)

I think I have covered all the basics!
Goodluck

can i use my enterprices certificate to get my tin number
Oh! TIN registration is FREE!!! Plus, I do not work for firs nor cac, I just shared my own experience when I did mine in august this year!

*when filling the forms, if you don't understand anything, leave it blank, cos when you are submitting it, the tax officer will tell you what to write e.g auditors (yet to be appointed) the bank acc I mentioned earlier etc
Cheers
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by Millionjeff: 7:31pm On Jul 03, 2014
Can i use enterprice certificate to apply for my tin nunber
You should have the following before you get to firs
*a coloured letter headed paper of your company (this is what you will use to apply for. TIN)
* the cac certificate, original (for sighting) and photocopy
*cac form A1 (that carries the photo(s) of the proprietor (s)) photocopy and original
*cac form 6 (that indicates the BN no) photocopy and original
*a company rubber stamp (you will need that to stamp the firs forms)
*on the firs form (VAT), you will be asked for company bank account, if you have one (I doubt this, cos most banks will ask for your TIN number before opening such) you can write "yet to be opened"
Then as soon as you get your TIN number, you can now go and open the account (just make sure you get a company seal ready)

I think I have covered all the basics!
Goodluck

can i use my enterprices certificate to get my tin number
Oh! TIN registration is FREE!!! Plus, I do not work for firs nor cac, I just shared my own experience when I did mine in august this year!

*when filling the forms, if you don't understand anything, leave it blank, cos when you are submitting it, the tax officer will tell you what to write e.g auditors (yet to be appointed) the bank acc I mentioned earlier etc
Cheers
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by legalwealth(m): 5:50pm On Aug 17, 2014
JideTheBlogger: Simple..

I went to GTB to Open a corporate acct with my business name. The guy told me I need TIN. Begged him to help me process it. I gave him copies of my docs and I got my TIN after 3wks.

3 weeks is too far!It is 1 day! !!
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by tollu: 11:02am On Oct 26, 2014
oneblacboi:
So many misconceptions on this thread! Let me clear the air as an experienced tax consultant that has helped hundreds of companies with this process and other tax related matters.
You can contact a competent team of tax advisors through the following details:
www.shelze.com.ng
info@shelze.com.ng
0817-014-4053
Regards

I would just like to say that this is a FANTASTIC post. I visited your website and also bookmarked it. Well done and thank you very much.
When my business gets bigger and I need to hire accountants, your firm is NUMBER 1 on my list.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by depair: 11:54am On Feb 19, 2015
If my businesz addresz is in otta can i apply for my TIN at say an office in victoria Island.

What do i need to do every year to FIRS since have not commence biz
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by Jason2014(m): 5:20pm On Feb 19, 2015
funshiba:

Education tax 2%

NITDL - 1%
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by Onakomaya: 6:52am On Mar 20, 2015
My company address is in Lagos. Can I get a tin number for my company in Abuja? I over head someone saying it is not advisable but couldn't tell me why..
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by richkids1(m): 10:46am On Jul 03, 2015
I think it is time for me to get my own TIN.
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by mikeywise(m): 11:25am On Jul 03, 2015
Onakomaya:
My company address is in Lagos. Can I get a tin number for my company in Abuja? I over head someone saying it is not advisable but couldn't tell me why..
Nope you cannot get it in abuja, but you can get it in Lagos.
what area in Lagos is your office located?
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by mikeywise(m): 11:26am On Jul 03, 2015
depair:
If my businesz addresz is in otta can i apply for my TIN at say an office in victoria Island.

What do i need to do every year to FIRS since have not commence biz
Its better you apply for your TIN in Otta, there is an FIRS office in Otta.
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by mikeywise(m): 11:28am On Jul 03, 2015
Millionjeff:
Can i use enterprice certificate to apply for my tin nunber
do you mean your personal TIN or that of the Enterprise?
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by mikeywise(m): 11:30am On Jul 03, 2015
winniecool68:

please where can I find FIRS office in Lagos, is there any close to isolo?
you have to go to FIRS office closer to your company's registered/business address
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by depair: 12:03pm On Jul 04, 2015
mikeywise:

Its better you apply for your TIN in Otta, there is an FIRS office in Otta.

i have done that at V.I any implication. does it mean TIN is applicable to address of biz
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by mikeywise(m): 1:06pm On Jul 04, 2015
depair:

i have done that at V.I any implication. does it mean TIN is applicable to address of biz
Before I answer that question, which address did u give, VI or Otta address?
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by depair: 6:19pm On Jul 04, 2015
mikeywise:

Before I answer that question, which address did u give, VI or Otta address?
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by tvinci: 7:40am On Aug 13, 2015
Smooyis:
Thats #1,000. Naija and corruption. Oga o!

Please where is FIRS island office...?? Thanks and how much will they charge for a company that has only Business name certificate.
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by tvinci: 7:42am On Aug 13, 2015
Please where is FIRS island office...?? Thanks and how much will they charge for a company that has only Business name certificate.
Re: Procedures To Get TIN No. From FIRS by ZN2: 8:03am On Mar 03, 2016
What happens when you change your business name when you have already gotten the TIN? What's the process of updating your info at the FIRS?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Are Forced To Disburse Loans To People That Didn’t Apply – Loan App Agents / "Don't Tell Me Nonsense": Photo Of An Igbo Man's Shop With 7 POS Machines / Bankers For Baba Ijebu..{premier Lotto EAST}.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.