Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,638 members, 7,955,318 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:34 PM

Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country (24244 Views)

For Unemployed Graduates ONLY / The Countries With The Most Unemployed Graduates / What Unemployed Graduates Pass Through In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Vdollars(m): 10:09pm On Oct 12, 2013
Computer engineers like us switch jobs and i also agree with someone that said Nigerians like graduates from abroad. OP,just believe in yourself and Oh yes,engineering tops the list of best paid degrees!

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by mencer(m): 10:15pm On Oct 12, 2013
You just finished service now? With patient and perseverance you're gonna get your dream job engineering grads are some of the highest paid in the market.... Engineering Rocks!
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 11:09pm On Oct 12, 2013
I think agric and biosystems engineerin is d only branch of engineerin dat has little chances of employment IN NIGERIA. Most ABEngineers end up being lecturers. I'm currently studying ABE. Thnking of changing †̥ civil or mech.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by kaka22(m): 11:13pm On Oct 12, 2013
People should stop generalising about what you don't know... Political science is part of social sciences and employment opportunities for political science graduate are numerous. Political science has six sub branches. They include public admin., international relations, local government studies,political theory, comparative politics and political economy... Political science graduate can work in any government establishment whether ministry,agency or department. There are opportunities for political science graduates in private establishments because all private establishments have administrative sectors.Also do not forget that we have ministries at the federal and state level... I agree that they are some courses in social sciences that are at disadvantage in term of employment opportunities like psychology, sociology, geography etc... I rest my case for now
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Idongesit619(m): 11:20pm On Oct 12, 2013
[quote author=kaka22]People should stop generalising about what you don't know... Political science is part of social sciences and employment opportunities for political science graduate are numerous. Political science has six sub branches. They include public admin., international relations, local government studies,political theory, comparative politics and political economy... Political science graduate can work in any government establishment whether ministry,agency or department. There are opportunities for political science graduates in private establishments because all private establishments have administrative sectors.Also do not forget that we have ministries at the federal and state level... I agree that they are some courses in social sciences that are at disadvantage in term of employment opportunities like psychology, sociology, geography etc... I rest my case for
now

U r also generalizing..Do u knw the meaning of Psychology,Sociology and Geography?
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by kaka22(m): 11:31pm On Oct 12, 2013
How does the meaning affect employment opportunities?
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by beewhyfocs(m): 12:09am On Oct 13, 2013
Raxxye: Abeg make una no vex o. Why is it that many Nigerian graduates these days cannot differentiate between
''their'' and ''there''
''no'' and ''know''
''feel'' and ''fill''
''being'' and ''been?''

How dem take pass English Language for WAEC?
After now dem go say 'we're all graduates!'
The thing don dey vex me well well o!

The same reason why you decided to write "them" as "dem".

If you must correct people's use of English then you must also use the language properly.

Hope this helps!
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Sayet(m): 12:24am On Oct 13, 2013
Gamji007:

You are wrong my friend. That is a general misconception and problem with most engineering graduates in Nigeria. You believe holding spanners and screwdrivers are not meant for you, whereas engaging in such practical work could make you improve on your skills and make you relevant in everywhere you find yourself especially in a country like Nigeria, where Engineers,Technicians,Foremen, electricians, roadside mechanics etc are all considered the same.

Fat lie,they are not the same and can never be the same,i think you've been clouded with the ascertion that studying electrical in the uni. is all about wiring or studying mechanical is all about fixing car tires. It more than that bro,an engineer is far different from a technician,if it's all about what you assumed it to be,there wont be any need of going through that five rigorous years of study in the uni. thereby companies wont need the service of Uni grad anymore,all they need do is to hire electricians for their I.T jobs and road side mechanics to design their machine and also as process engineers. Bro, engineering in the uni is more than screw-drivers and spanners.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by king100(m): 5:17am On Oct 13, 2013
acorn tree:

These jobs u mention above are not meant for engineers they are for technician. Why go and spend 5yrs in a uni to end up as an electrician or engine repairer
That is the problem of Nigerian graduates, always looking for one unproductive office to seat down and start commanding.How many Nigerian graduates can do house wiring.Man! education is more than papers you obtained as certificates.

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by ranson(m): 5:54am On Oct 13, 2013
@Op & all, this is a systemic issue, nothing is working in Nigeria of today. There is no discipline, apart from those from the medical sciences, that is not affected by this unemployment saga, even Lawyers are lamenting. The truth is that there is a paradigm shift from job seeking to job creation. Our father's generation that benefited greatly from the industrial revolution should have acted with foresight by creating enabling environment for this generation, instead, they were busy politiking and partying. Thus, the onus in on us to think of whatever menial job (trading or apprenticeship) that we can do to empower ourselves and then engage in serious self-education towards our goals. No time, stop crossing legs, your kids will ask you what did you do to redress the situation when you discover that your father's generation have failed you.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by yusful4all: 6:07am On Oct 13, 2013
U can get d data frm Nigeria Associatn of unemployed graduate
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by mayorrex(m): 7:52am On Oct 13, 2013
Na for house you want take get job??
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by FIRSTFOCUS: 7:59am On Oct 13, 2013
I want to believe BIOCHEMIST are †ђξ most unemployed and most unrecognized profession in this country. And not engineers. You may find it difficult to believe but that's purely undiluted truth.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by ade101(m): 8:07am On Oct 13, 2013
Engineersaare meant to be creative hence they are destined to be job creator not job seeker. Won't be surprised if statistics proved that engineers are the most unemployed graduates in Nigeria.

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by talk4free: 9:28am On Oct 13, 2013
Well, IMO i don;t think its just engineers that are unemployed. I think the whole lot of Nigerian gradautes are unemployed save for a very small percentage. But then lets look at this in perspective.....the road side mechanic is probably better than the graduate mechanic until the graduate gets some experience, same for the road side electrician, road side mason compared to the civil engr and so on. Our schools don't train us to be ready from the day of graduation.
Secondly, our corruption and mediocre/incompetent leaders have either frustrated the efforts of new industries from being established, while they have chased already existing ones away due to the constant harassment for bribes and contracts.
Hence no industries.....no job for engineers (and others o)
No quality after graduates, the few industries still remaining will definitely fight over the so many experienced ones that are available, since they have been laid off from other companies that have closed shop.

2 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by ibkgab001: 10:00am On Oct 13, 2013
Check the defination of Synonyms
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Mekyno(m): 10:10am On Oct 13, 2013
pweety_tonie: U can't be serious oooooo....engineers are hot cakes now serious hot cake my engineer friends choose jobs from nestle to oil and gas coys...the major problem with getting a job is this love and creteria of having experience so it's usually difficult for freshers to get in
u said it all. We jst need a yr/ 6 months of well grounded practical engr'g school after graduatn dat is tailor/suit modern industrial needs/requirements..... Chikina....check d preformances of those dat graduated hia in naija n got a chance 4 practical exposure in foreign land......excellent perfomances
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 13, 2013
Getting a Job as a fresh engineer seems hard dis days! Most engineering vacancies(mostly Civil) require 3+ experience n also majority of fresh engineers dat got employed, got it through connection(jobs were neva advertised). D mean thing is to look for a private engineer n b gathering experience unda him though d pay isn't much.

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Ericmillion(m): 10:42am On Oct 13, 2013
Sermwell: I don't knw how true dis assertion is but it is my pleasure 2 let u guyz knw dat we prospective lawyers have no shaking cuz our future is fully secured!... But 2013/2013 batch is 2 early 4 u 2 judge na! Pls don't panic jare!

law is d worst profession in nigeria,they av d highest num of graduates that beg to feed
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 13, 2013
My Problem with Nigerian 'graduates' is that they don't take initiative! And that's why you will always look for jobs!

Can you please show me a house that doesn't need electricians? A car that doesn't require the service of a mechanic? Now that more OBD cars are flooding Nigeria (and most quacks can't handle such vehicle), there's need for more professional automobile services. And our Engineers are looking for (office) jobs. Mtcheew!

Nigeria has got to have the lowest number of self employed 'graduates'. And that's because most of them are dumb (I don't know if dumbness was taught in their own universities) and they refuse to see opportunities.

I will never understand the reason why an Engineer should look for job in Nigeria! Never!

If only you guys can drop your Ego and start working! Most Engineering fields do not require hefty and expensive machines to 'start'.

Enough said!
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by franktony: 12:51pm On Oct 13, 2013
we are meant to creat jobs not to look for job.practising Elect Engineering has helped me to acheve so much even when i ve not graduated.i still thankGod for this coures .practising Eng can be stressful but my mined is made up greatest electrons. tongue
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by MichaelSokoto(m): 12:58pm On Oct 13, 2013
Nicepoker: sit and cross legs til general electric send u a mail.
General Electric ko, Local Lantern ni grin
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by MichaelSokoto(m): 1:09pm On Oct 13, 2013
jamesbridget13: do not laff over someone else's humble begining. U may never know. Am a 2012/2013 corp member too. I studied Mass Comm. After service i had 2 take up a menial work, d pay was little but 2day am a civil servant. Pls do not laff when u see someone trying 2 make it
Wat am laffin @ iz a physicist workin as a distributor not as u think.
Of cause she's f**kin well paid buh outside her field of study, courtsey of naija runs.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by MichaelSokoto(m): 1:58pm On Oct 13, 2013
lorretta u: And no one is saying anything about biotechnology which happens to be the bane of forward-moving socities in the world

But has taken a back seat in our own dear country. SMH.
Can't wait to get outta here and explore my wonderful options in a society that will appreciate the worth of it.

*Godhelpme#
Safe journey oo!
Buy buscuit if u dey come back oo! cool
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Rooneyboy(m): 2:07pm On Oct 13, 2013
Gabriel_sylar: Sharrap..2012 and ure spilling rubbish...pple since 2005 re still looking for work...besides over 80 engineers were recently interviewed at Airforce institute of technology elect,mech,computer,comms etc so stop saying thrash

grin grin grin ...... As innnn
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 13, 2013
Michael Sokoto:
Safe journey oo!
Buy buscuit if u dey comet back oo! cool
lol.

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 13, 2013
IMO the most unemployed r social science .... Engineering just takes a lot of to get into d industry ....but when u r in enjoyment
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by MicroBox: 6:46pm On Oct 13, 2013
Engineers are more flexible,i really disagree with OP.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:56pm On Oct 13, 2013
king100: That is the problem of Nigerian graduates, always looking for one unproductive office to seat down and start commanding.How many Nigerian graduates can do house wiring.Man! education is more than papers you obtained as certificates.

This is hilarious,is EEE about wiring?!!! I was wiring before I finished SS3

Have you ever heard of control systems,robotics and automation processes in industries like Bobo foods okay now that's engineering.

Have you ever heard of heat engines,applied even in cars,furnace, turbines eg carnot cycle that's engineering.

Have you ever head of load distribution and beam balancing? That is engineering

What of digital electronic, bolean operations used in your fones, what of logic gates!!! That is engineering

5years no be childs play...an electrician,mechanic or a phone repairer is not cannot and will never be an engineer.

This na why some company get mind they pay my former room mate 20k per month

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:58pm On Oct 13, 2013
Michael Sokoto:
General Electric ko, Local Lantern ni grin

Hahahahaha any nigerian trained recent graduate engineer wey dey wait for GE is on a loooooooooooooong thing,count the O's each represent one year!!!! Go figure

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Noneroone(m): 6:59pm On Oct 13, 2013
hopsydboi: IMO the most unemployed r social science .... Engineering just takes a lot of to get into d industry ....but when u r in enjoyment
Have you ever wondered why the most preferred disciplines come from the social sciences every year according to jamb records? Have you ever wondered why buildings collapse each day in Nigeria? When you find answers to these questions, you will identify the problem with your post. Meanwhile, you mudered English langauge .
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Atyodos: 8:07pm On Oct 13, 2013
The problem we ve is this preference 4 foreigners by our govt.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Majority Of Nigerian University Graduates Are Un-employed / Fed Up With My N45k/month Job. / Invite To Nestle Function Test And Interview 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.