Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,487 members, 7,812,509 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway (1081 Views)

Kaduna Govt. To Acquire Peugeot, Targets 90,000 Cars Yearly.. / Obiano Urges FG To Save Onitsha/enugu Expressway / Benue Militant Who Submitted 84 Guns To The State Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway by kelvincoll(m): 9:36pm On Oct 12, 2013
By VINCENT UJUMADU

AWKA — THE Federal Government yesterday granted approval to Anambra State government to reconstruct the controversial Anambra end of the Onitsha-Enugu expressway.

Anambra State would receive reimbursement from the Federal Government later.

The approval was seen as a great relief to Governor Peter Obi, who had been pleading with the Federal Government to allow the state government reconstruct the road and get the money later in the interest of the users.

Minister of Works, Mr. Mike Onolememen, who announced the approval during a visit to Governor Obi in Awka, said President Goodluck Jonathan’s approval was due to the governor’s consistent pleading and several representations to the Federal Government on the need for speedy completion of the project.

According to the minister, the Bridgehead to Zik’s round about axis of the dual carriageway was awarded to the Nigercat Construction Company, while Zik’s roundabout to Amansea in Awka was awarded to the Consolidated Construction Company – CCC, and explained that the partitioning of the road to the two contractors was to ensure early completion of the project and save the people of the South-East from untold hardship.

He said: “The president has approved that Anambra State government should finance the job which the new contractor -Nigercat- will do, while the federal ministry of works will reimburse the state at the end of the project
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/reconstruction-of-onitsha-enugu-expressway-fg-gives-approval-to-anambra/#sthash.BnqGyK6D.dpuf

Not much have been done on that road, So who is delaying what?
Re: Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway by Goddex: 9:40pm On Oct 12, 2013
The less than 140 billion for Fed Min of works in the annual budget is damn too meagre to fix our roads speedily and should be stepped up. I know there are other competing needs like security and even ASUU all dragging for a chunk of the budget but the roads too need upgrading. I used that road recently and wasn't impressed with the pace of work. The contractors were only seen at the Onitsha end and it was obvious sufficient funds was not being released to them
Re: Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway by Afam4eva(m): 9:43pm On Oct 12, 2013
Is that not the road that we were arguing about in another thread. It's good thaat Peter Obi has decided to take it up and give that road a facelift cos the present look is embarassing.
Re: Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway by Nobody: 9:43pm On Oct 12, 2013
Peter Obi has really tried in road (re)construction but he forgets that its aesthetics that attracts people to a state and sometimes attracts investors.

1 Like

Re: Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 12, 2013
Afam4eva: Is that not the road that we were arguing about in another thread. It's good thaat Peter Obi has decided to take it up and give that road a facelift cos the present look is embarassing.

That article is from June, 2012. OP undecided
Re: Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway by kelvincoll(m): 9:48pm On Oct 12, 2013
Afam4eva: Is that not the road that we were arguing about in another thread. It's good thaat Peter Obi has decided to take it up and give that road a facelift cos the present look is embarrassing.

More embarrassing is that it is taking forever to get the job done, I really do hope the facelift would be of world standard
Re: Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway by kelvincoll(m): 9:51pm On Oct 12, 2013
Promhize:

The same reason why I dug it out, beneath I asked who is delaying what? If the state govt had been given approval to fix that road, why is it taking almost forever to see appreciable workdone and the FG takes d blame
Re: Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway by Goddex: 9:59pm On Oct 12, 2013
kelvincoll:

The same reason why I dug it out, beneath I asked who is delaying what? If the state govt had been given approval to fix that road, why is it taking almost forever to see appreciable workdone and the FG takes d blame

I don't think the state government has capacity to fund that road in addition to it's own other obligations. That is a big project. Moreover, this is an election year for Anambra.
Re: Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway by IGBOSON1: 10:02pm On Oct 12, 2013
Promhize:

^^^Please tell me you're joking! undecided You mean almost a year and a half since, they've not made any appreciable progress? If the Onitsha end is finished, how come we don't see people showcasing it to present Onitsha in a good light?

And we've not even started talking of the 2nd Niger bridge....even as the year is fast coming to an end! They've done something i never thought possible: strung us all along and beat about the bush for the entire 2013.....managing to fob us all off for another year in the process! grin
Re: Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway by kelvincoll(m): 10:10pm On Oct 12, 2013
Minister of Works, Mr. Mike Onolememen, who announced the approval during a visit to Governor Obi in Awka, said President Goodluck Jonathan’s approval was due to the governor’s consistent pleading and several representations to the Federal Government on the [size=20pt]need for speedy completion[/size] of the project.

Over a year, the question still begs......What's the delay?
That road amongst many on that axis is vital towards the SE/NIG economy, it should also compliment the Enugu int airport development/activities
Re: Anambra State Govt To Reconstuct Onitsha-enugu Expressway by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 12, 2013
kelvincoll:

The title was confusing. I just hope the people of anambra choose the right candidate.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

New Abuja Gate To Cost 64 Billion Naira --- Fg / Ngige Knows Nothing About Economics’ – Peter Obi.... / PHOTONEWS: New PDP And APC Merger In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.