Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,078 members, 7,811,020 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Learn Programming Here - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Learn Programming Here (1867 Views)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? / How Long Does It Really Take To Learn Programming( I Want To Know) / Learn Java Programming Here Easily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn Programming Here by alcuin(m): 8:27am On Oct 13, 2013
The Internet is a great place to learn and innovate. With the advent of social media networks, it even easier to learn, innovate and additionally fraternize with peers on a global level. This opens a great opportunity to hone our skills. As my contribution to the knowledge base of this global "thing", I intend to start a beginners' course in Computer Programming and Allied Technologies on this group and for members of this group.
The course will take the normal pattern of posts. I will post at least a topic each day and respond to comments/questions. Hopefully, in about two weeks, the basic course will be over. Then, judging from your responses, we may move to higher and advanced stuff together.
So, come on, lets learn and innovate together.
Are you guys with me If yes, hit like or comment.....

Thanks.

9 Likes

Re: Learn Programming Here by alcuin(m): 8:28am On Oct 13, 2013
REQUIREMENTS:

Okay...sequel to my last post. There are few requirements for the course. As you all know it is an Introduction to Computer Programming, by that, the single most important requirement is the availability of a computer. Others are:

- Good internet connection
- Complete working fingers (trust me, u will need them)
- Natural curiosity to know how things work
- Good problem-solving skills
- And lots of patience

ETHICS:
The course is an interactive one. Any suggestion should be posted on the comments of this post.

So, what do u guys think? Any suggestion

Thanks.....
P.S: Jokes are allowed....lol
Re: Learn Programming Here by alcuin(m): 8:30am On Oct 13, 2013
Lesson 1:

Computer programming is all about giving the computer instructions to perform some tasks. These tasks ranges from trivial ones like "what is the average age of students in a class" to complex ones like Artificial Intelligence.

Don't get it wrong, computers are obviously powerful machines. But they are very stupid, I mean it. As a programmer, you will be faced with this stupidity on many level in your career. The greatest strength of computers lies in the speed and accuracy of its computations. And these computations are designed by programmers.

So, programming is about teaching a zombie to work for you. But first of, you should know how to do the work yourself by hand or at least have an idea on how the work can be done. This idea is what computer scientist call "Algorithms". We will get to that in due course in this tutorial.

We give instructions to the computer in a form that it can understand. That is, in a language. Now, the language a computer understands basically is tied to the architecture of it's microprocessor(CPU). This is called "Machine Language". It is just a sequence of "zeroes" and "ones". Binary language, if you like. Well, let me say this, Machine Language is very difficult to write with and it has limitations. We will not be concerned with it.

Now, others forms of languages have been invented to walk around the limitations of Machine languages. These are called "High level Languages". They are human friendly, meaning that, instead of writing long sequences of binary digits, we can program in simple and unambiguous English language. Thank GOD!!!!

Examples of high level languages are Java, C++, Pascal, PHP, Python.

Okay! I can almost hear you asking how exactly do you write instruction and pass it into the computer.Well, I can't give a general answer. How it is done depends on the high level language itself. But, suffice it to say that, you have to write the program in as a text file, "compile" it and run it somehow. Don't worry, if you can't understand it now. It will be the subject of the next lesson, where I introduce the high level language that we will be learning.

SUMMARY: Computers are STUPID! If you want to get anything useful done, you have to specify in absolute details when you write programs. People still use Machine languages but in highly specialized applications, but majority work with high level languages.

Thanks.....

6 Likes

Re: Learn Programming Here by Joyland(m): 8:47am On Oct 13, 2013
Thanks for the effort and dedication; soon your students will be many.
Re: Learn Programming Here by alcuin(m): 9:33am On Oct 13, 2013
Lesson 2

Good morning guys, I hope the Lesson 1 of this tutorial series is well assimilated, if not, please feel free to ask questions on the comments' section. It is important you understand the Lessons in incremental fashion as the Lessons build on knowledge from the previous Lessons.

Okay. In the last Lesson, I introduced the concept of computer languages and kinda payed emphasis on high level languages, which are human friendly to write. That being said, let me introduce (in this lesson) the particular programming language we will be examining in this tutorial.

The language is "Python". Python is a programming language that has the rare advantage of being simple, agile and powerful. It's simplicity makes it easy for beginners to appreciate programming languages. Learn more about python at www.python.org.

INSTALLATION:
To make available the environment for programming, you must have it installed. I assume that all of you here use Windows OS. So I will outline the installation process for that platform.

- Go to www.python.org/download/. Click on Python 2.7.5 (there are other versions there) to download.

- After download, install. Use default settings.

- Right Click on My Computer. Select properties > Advanced system settings (on the left of the screen).

- On the dialog box (System Properties). Click on Environment Variables.

- On the dialog box (Environment variables). Scroll down the box (system variables). Select path and click Edit.

- On the Edit System Variable box, edit the variable value by adding ";C:\Program File\Python27" (there is a semi colon in the front). Please, do not delete what is there originally, just add the string above.

N.B: If you did not install with the default settings or you installed another version of Python, add the path to the folder in your computer containing the Python files.

- Click OK on all open dialog box boxes.

Now, you are good to go.

RUNNING THE PYTHON INTERPRETER:

In order to follow up the code snippet in this tutorials, you need to "fire" up the Python interpreter and try codes. To do this.

- On your computer keyboard, press the combination of "Windows Key and R". Windows key is the button with Windows Logo on it, normally the second key before the long button. That is, press Windows Key + R.

- A dialog box opens (titled Run). Type "cmd" and press ENTER.

- A window with black background opens. You will see a prompt. Now type "python". Press ENTER.

In my computer, it returns something like this (yours may be different).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Python 2.7.3 (default, April 10 2012, 23:31:06)[MSC v.1500 32bit(intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright","credits","license" for more information.
>>>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are inside the python interpreter. As an example,
Type and press ENTER.
----------------------------------------------------------
>>> print 23+34
----------------------------------------------------------

N.B: Don not type the ">>>" and no space before the "print" statement.

Now, you can recognize one use of the python interpreter. It can be used as a simple handy calculator.

***Sighs***
I will stop here for now. Ask your questions. (E no easy oh...lol)
Re: Learn Programming Here by dsypha(m): 3:58pm On Oct 13, 2013
This topic shouldn't be, Many of such topics already exist!

1 Like

Re: Learn Programming Here by alcuin(m): 9:37pm On Oct 13, 2013
dsypha: This topic shouldn't be, Many of such topics already exist!

So, you are saying this topic is irrelevant
Re: Learn Programming Here by emandman: 9:59pm On Oct 13, 2013
alcuin:

it is not,many of dos topics av entad pages...dt new komers knt comprehend.am on dis
Re: Learn Programming Here by dsypha(m): 10:21pm On Oct 13, 2013
e mandman:
it is not,many of dos topics av entad pages...dt new komers knt comprehend.am on dis

The truth is You don't need any of these topics to learn. Pick a text-book or at worse a pdf. am yet to see how ths topic is to help. The O.P surely won't finish one complete language for You!
Re: Learn Programming Here by alcuin(m): 11:08pm On Oct 13, 2013
dsypha:

The truth is You don't need any of these topics to learn. Pick a text-book or at worse a pdf. am yet to see how ths topic is to help. The O.P surely won't finish one complete language for You!

Quite true but sometimes it is better to have an active online community, so you can ask questions and get responded to. All these while you may be studying privately. In fact, I encourage students to study privately.
Re: Learn Programming Here by wisemania(m): 11:39pm On Oct 13, 2013
I dey for corner dey observe....me no wan kon len python now oo...anywaz i fit come bk dis thread 2 get som info... Bross i hope ull get 2 finish d basics,coz it wnt b easy 2....ive seen many folks du same,at d end of d day dey(not disclosing) dissapear in2 thin air....may d Pow of Eledumare come upon thee and kip u waxing stronger nowally and foreverlly...ISEEE!
Re: Learn Programming Here by dabiko(m): 8:09pm On Oct 14, 2013
Please @op i have been following your tutorial and i must confess its quite educative and informative. Furthermore i'm fully interested in this teaching(s) because i'm eager to learn computer programming.I 'll like to ask you a couple of questions.1.What are the main benefits of programming?.2.Where can we apply computer programming and how can it be applied.3.How exactly do we write programs (the stepwise procedure) 4.What are the basic knowledge i need to have in order to start writing programs for a beginner like me.Please i will appreciate your answers to these questions.

1 Like

Re: Learn Programming Here by wisemania(m): 8:41pm On Oct 14, 2013
dabiko: Please @op i have been following your tutorial and i must confess its quite educative and informative. Furthermore i'm fully interested in this teaching(s) because i'm eager to learn computer programming.I 'll like to ask you a couple of questions.1.What are the main benefits of programming?.2.Where can we apply computer programming and how can it be applied.3.How exactly do we write programs (the stepwise procedure) 4.What are the basic knowledge i need to have in order to start writing programs for a beginner like me.Please i will appreciate your answers to these questions.
visit this link:4 mor info.
https://www.nairaland.com/1147325/want-learn-programming-which-language
Re: Learn Programming Here by Ajibel(m): 12:22am On Oct 20, 2013
Erm pls op no stop, i dey enjoy ur lectures. Dont mind the badu belles. Fire on!

So, next update ..!!?
Re: Learn Programming Here by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 20, 2013
nice thread consider me ur student
Re: Learn Programming Here by desphobia: 5:09pm On Oct 29, 2013
pls don't stop
Re: Learn Programming Here by jjk24(m): 6:50pm On Oct 29, 2013
Pls pls pls no stp na na me dey begg all dis ppl no beg wella abeg no stp na aaa take baba GOD beg u grin
Re: Learn Programming Here by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 29, 2013
continue na for my sake, at least make I be ur accomplishment *I dey my knee dey post this commebt*
Re: Learn Programming Here by Nobody: 9:08am On Oct 30, 2013
Someone should help me with this little question
.if i host my website,is it the host that with provide the type of server side am to use
.someone should enlighten me about webhosting
.total newbie
Re: Learn Programming Here by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 30, 2013
alcuin:

pls continue jare. Don't stop .it is relevant, different,and understanding
Re: Learn Programming Here by chinor(m): 12:10pm On Oct 30, 2013
I've bn taught of new things here personally & I dnt want 2 miss dis opportunity of upgrading myself in d community of programmers. Can u pls give me ur digit so as to contact u 4 better training? Pls dnt say NO!
Ur Student.
Re: Learn Programming Here by jjk24(m): 11:11pm On Oct 30, 2013
Where alcuin be. Na e no gud lyk dis o
Re: Learn Programming Here by stevejame247: 11:05am On Oct 31, 2013
Kudos man...thumbs up my brother. when is the next lecture?
Re: Learn Programming Here by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 31, 2013
ajibel pls take over form aulcin, Nigeria's Python programmer must go on
Re: Learn Programming Here by Ajibel(m): 5:40am On Nov 02, 2013
Preboy: ajibel pls take over form aulcin, Nigeria's Python programmer must go on

shocked i wish i could bro buh i cant sad buh i'd come up with sth nice wink
Re: Learn Programming Here by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 02, 2013
Ajibel:

shocked i wish i could bro buh i cant sad buh i'd come up with sth nice wink
pls do
Re: Learn Programming Here by Laverneitchel: 12:24pm On Feb 19, 2023
Have you ever wanted to learn coding for tweens? Imagine being able to code an app of your very own and use it to help teach others about the world around us. This is exactly what I do every day as a developer, but I can do that because I've been doing this type of stuff since I was a toddler!

(1) (Reply)

Programmers In Da House Pls I Nid Ur Help / Nland programmers: i need your advise / Use Hostgator Promo(coupon) Code And Enjoy 60% Discount ON NEW Hosting + Domain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.