Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,761 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:29 AM

Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives (5911 Views)

Poll: I support:

Granting private citizens the power to arrest suspected criminals.: 27% (20 votes)
Banning the practice of arresting innocent people in lieu of criminals: 72% (53 votes)
This poll has ended

How Ex-president Arranged Arrest of Diezani - Silverbirdtv.com / President Buhari Orders Arrest Of Wife’s Younger Brother Over Alleged Extortion / Jonathan Vows To Arrest And Deal With Those Behind ING (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by landis(m): 9:03am On Jul 03, 2008
Source: http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=115869

Other amendments in the rule among other things include: "Private persons now have the power to arrest persons suspected to have committed offences in their presence including those who damage public property;

This sounds good. You can arrest anybody who you found commiting offence.

If well practice, this can eliminate 10% of all crimes; since people generally saw the offenders but failed to do anything.

Also Police can only arrest suspect nothing any relations anymore:

Lagos State Chief Judge, Justice Ade Alabi yesterday said that it was now an offense under new Lagos State Criminal Procedure Rules for the police to arrest anybody else in lieu of a suspect.

Justice Alabi while briefing the press in Lagos on the amendment of the Administration of Criminal Justice Procedure Law of Lagos State, listed the category of people to include; wife, husband, son, brother, sister, co-worker or even neighbours for an offence committed by another person

May be Lagos can finally turn to better place
grin cheesy grin
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by gbolah1(m): 9:45am On Jul 03, 2008
Am happy for all this new development am hearing about Lagos. I base in Lagos and i witness it all, may God bless Fashola,Jide Alabi and every other person participating in development of Lagos

From my own point of view Lagos state government are trying is best to achieve mega city and i can say if we have someone like Fashola in just 10 state in this country Nigeria will be better in the next 6year.

Please if any body has difference opinion you can proof me wrong
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by smile4kenn(m): 10:02am On Jul 03, 2008
I will always be proud of lagos
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 03, 2008
How can Fashola and co. claim to have passed a law that have been in existence in Nigeria since when God knows.
Anybody ever heard of mob action in the street of Lagos and other cities in Nigeria?
The good thing is that it's now written in the constitution; a good reason to burn our enemies with tyers. grin
Damn it!!
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by landis(m): 11:30am On Jul 03, 2008
nuzo:

How can Fashola and co. claim to have passed a law that have been in existence in Nigeria since when God knows.
Anybody ever heard of mob action in the street of Lagos and other cities in Nigeria?
The good thing is that it's now written in the constitution; a good reason to burn our enemies with tyers. grin
Damn it!!

It is clear. This is ARREST and not MOBBING

And you have to handover such person to police. You not allow to ARREST and JUDGE. This is what MOB has been doing.

But, trust Lagosians, they can turn it all around.
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by vikiviko(m): 11:41am On Jul 03, 2008
A person who makes a citizen's arrest could risk exposing himself to possible lawsuits or criminal charges (such as charges of impersonating police, false imprisonment, kidnapping, or wrongful arrest) if the wrong person is apprehended or a suspect's civil rights are violated.

Why do we need a statute like this? Why do we need a "citizen's arrest"? Well, as the crime rate goes up, it becomes more and more important that good citizens come to the aid of one another in distress. Without such a statute, only government agents, such as police, would have the authority to stop a felon in progress. By creating the "citizen's arrest" statute we give ordinary citizens the authority to hold another citizen without fear of being sued for false imprisonment. Without the statute, the citizen who interfered in criminal activity would risk such a lawsuit.

Even with such a statute, the citizen still risks being sued if he/she is wrong on his assessment of the situation. Notice that the statute requires that the "public offense" be in the citizen's presence, or that the person arrested have committed a "felony," that is, a crime punishable by one year or more in state prison. Do you know which crimes are punishable by one or more years in state prison? Can you be absolutely sure the person you are arresting is the one who committed the offense? What if there were three people involved? Can you be sure which one is the one you should arrest? At the very least, a defense lawyer is going to argue that the requirements for citizen's arrest were not met and that the arrest, and any consequent seizure of contraband, were illegal.
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 03, 2008
The law is simply ridiculous.

As a black belter in one of the martial arts, i guess i have been granted a constitutional right to bully alot of weak and helpless sufferheads Lagosians when i come around. grin

What is Yara waiting for b4 he makes it a federal law? I cant wait to carry out this law against my percieved political enemies in my village.
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by vikiviko(m): 12:01pm On Jul 03, 2008
smiley smiley smiley
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by izeek(m): 1:02pm On Jul 03, 2008
@ nuzo,
leave ur blackbelat where evr it is u got it from,. cos those criminals go beat ur ass silly,
as for the law, every law has its good and bad side, depends on how its interpreted.
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by ifyalways(f): 4:36pm On Jul 03, 2008
nuzo:

The law is simply ridiculous.

As a black belter in one of the martial arts, i guess i have been granted a constitutional right to bully alot of weak and helpless sufferheads Lagosians when i come around. grin

What is Yara waiting for before he makes it a federal law? I can't wait to carry out this law against my percieved political enemies in my village.
lol
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Jakumo(m): 7:02pm On Jul 03, 2008
The law authorizing citizen's arrest in Lagos state gives every pervert out there free rein to "arrest" women spotted wearing revealing clothes, or deemed to be of questionable character.  I'm emigrating to Lagos right now to enforce morality there.
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Radiant(f): 7:05pm On Jul 03, 2008
What kind of crazy law is that? Anyone can arrest anyone? Nigeria ooo, God!!! shocked
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Kobojunkie: 7:06pm On Jul 03, 2008
ROFLMAO!!!! I can just picture some skinny dude trying to arrest an 'aghbero' for committing a crime. It sounds good but how practical is it?
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by SkyBlue1: 7:15pm On Jul 03, 2008
Jakumo:

The law authorizing citizen's arrest in Lagos state gives every pervert out there free rein to "arrest" women spotted wearing revealing clothes, or deemed to be of questionable character. I'm emigrating to Lagos right now to enforce morality there.

cheesy LOL cheesy
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Radiant(f): 7:15pm On Jul 03, 2008
Honestly,I don't know how these "leaders" arrive at such decisions without realising they're making a mockery of the country as a whole.
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by RedHotChic(f): 7:40pm On Jul 03, 2008

This sounds good. You can arrest anybody who you found commiting offence.

If well practice, this can elimate 10% of all crimes; since people generally saw the offenders but failed to do anything.

Also Police can only arrest suspect nothing any relations anymore:
This is so pathetic. A country where people are so barbaric that they can burn someone alive in a broad daylight? Do you know how many women that will be harrased, arrested and raped by this senseless law? How do you even determine whether somebody is guilty of crime by mere suspicion? So, if i hate you and your progress now, I can kidnap you legally because fashola said so. I think that man sniffs gutter sometimes.
I must commend them tho for banning the arrest of innocent relatives of a suspected criminal.

Open the link below to see a graphic picture of what happened in a Nigerian street b/c the victims are perceived to be thieves(viewer discretion advised):

http://viewnaija.com/videos.php?sub_section=videos&id=2839
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Jakumo(m): 8:25pm On Jul 03, 2008
Thanks for the reminder Red Hot, I nearly forgot that one.

I will quickly add the offense of "Loitering Near a Gutter with Intent to Inhale" to the list of excuses that will henceforth empower me to arrest scantily clad women for disciplinary measures whenever I visit Lagos State.

With open sewers galore everywhere you look in Lagos, the enabling environment is conveniently in place for me to perform numerous citizen's arrests and other patriotic acts when I get there.
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by bilymuse: 8:48pm On Jul 03, 2008
this new law is long overdue
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by reindeer: 9:56pm On Jul 03, 2008
Finaly i am empowered to arrest policemen for collecting bribes in lagos now she?
cant wait to try my new power when i enter town! grin
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Esss(m): 9:59pm On Jul 03, 2008
reindeer:

Finaly i am empowered to arrest policemen for collecting bribes in lagos now she?
can't wait to try my new power when i enter town! grin

Hope say your new powers come with insurance policy against death by gun shot wound??
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Radiant(f): 9:59pm On Jul 03, 2008
Jakumo and Reindeer, your ideas are hilarious grin Reindeer, just make sure you don't end up being the victim grin
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by skfa1: 2:15am On Jul 04, 2008
@ RedHotChic

That video is shocked shocked shocked

May God help us.
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Nobody: 5:56am On Jul 04, 2008
I think it is time we ban people from joke side to post here.
What is funny and hilarious about the law?  This law have existed all over the world for decades and we in Nigeria practice it based on morality but here the government is giving it a legal backing to protect individuals that have the moral to arrest a criminal. It does not mean to beat him up, it only means apprehension and handing over to the police.

@ Poster
Is it only the citizen arrest that you highlighted? What about the other part that Bans the arrest of relatives of a wanted person or is it that you posted what you thought could bring the jokers over to this forum?

This law means that if you see somebody stealing NEPA cables, you can hold him down and call the police, haven't we all been doing this based on moral, now it has got a legal backing to protect your actions of morality. Is it not enough for you all to see the good in it?

To those that has black belt with intention to beat up their neighbours, know that your right stops where another's starts, there are other citizens with diamond belt that can apprehend you too and hand you over to the police.

I propose a new name for this law: Be Your Brother's Keeper Act

We can not take because people can abuse this law to negate it rather it will make us to enact laws consequently to guard agaisnt abuse, this is how a soceity develops and that is called civilization.
Laws are developed upon laws till you get to perfection during which the citizens must have adapted to the good use of the law.

I don't know if some people lack sense or just living a life of tickle and jests.
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by davidif: 7:43am On Jul 04, 2008
@redhotchic
Why did you post this? it is is truly disturbing, you've succeeded in damping my mood and traumatising me.
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Emperoh(m): 7:44am On Jul 04, 2008
I don't know why we should be jumping up
as if something new that is good has just been done

this law has been in existence since the inception
of the Criminal Code Act of this Country
its just that  a whole lot of us don't even know our rights
and what the law of our land states

even when we do, we are always intimidated and brutalised to acquiesce
or submit to such vulgar but unlawful superior power
Poverty has not also helped our cause
If not no Police officer has the power to physically manhandle ANYBODY
unless trying to reist arrest.

It may also please you guys to know
that the State Commission of Police has outlawed the
Checking of Car Particulars by the Police Officers on Patrol
He also urged the Public to report any of such harrasment to his Office

Its just that a lot of us, including me, are in such a hurry to enforce our rights
We tend to just be ok with buying ourselves out of any unpleasant situation we find ourselves in
These unscrupulous Police offices take advantage of this.
Until we learnt to know our Rights and stand to defend them, we shall always be victims of such brutality.

But who want go arrest Armed Robber wey carry AK47 grin grin
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by reindeer: 7:56am On Jul 04, 2008
Me!
As for Nobilia, life aint all that serious, better take it easy, jokes dont mean you dont get the import of the story,only means you chooose to take things easy ok?
You sound like the dry,humorless type who'll grow grey hairs by 30 and run high hypertension by 40.
take it easy man
me i go come lagos soon, and i plan to arrest at least 40 policemen and women and 40 armed robbers carrying AK47,AK 90,Bazooka, RPG, OTumokpo, JUJU,jazz,hiphopp anything!
Lagos,here i come! grin
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Raimond(m): 9:47am On Jul 04, 2008
B4 u try arresting someone dt is ten times tour size, try and eat well oo!!! grin
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by osat02: 9:51am On Jul 04, 2008
this Criminal code is the most humane in Nigeria smiley smiley
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by ayomifull(f): 9:52am On Jul 04, 2008
Emperoh:

But who want go arrest Armed Robber wey carry AK47 grin grin

lol. even if the armed robber has a toy gun who want to try that?

The problem with this is you who is legally and rightly arresting someone may end up being the victim, i am sure the real criminals would not be arrested by anyone who still values his life., so this will end up being for trivial issue like someone snatch my boyfriend/girlfriend, someone is sleeping with my husband/wife lol grin
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by mellow(m): 9:56am On Jul 04, 2008
ayomifull:

lol. even if the armed rubber has a toy gun who want to try that?

The problem with this is you who is legally and rightly arresting someone may end up being the victim, i am sure the real criminals would not be arrested by anyone who still values his life., so this will end up being for trivial issue like someone snatch my boyfriend/girlfriend, someone is sleeping with my husband/wife lol grin

Supported my lovely sister.
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by dblock(m): 10:29am On Jul 04, 2008
The good thing is that it's now written in the constitution; a good reason to burn our enemies with tyers. Grin
Damn it!!

roflmao. grin

But on a serious note, Mob action is disgusting.

How can you burn someone for theft or anything else even in the fundamentalist Muslim countries, they don't do that, they have other punishments but they don't kill people like that.

Disgusting
Re: Lagos Permits Citizen Arrest And Bans Arrest Of Innocent Relatives by Nobody: 11:35am On Jul 04, 2008
reindeer:

Me!
As for Nobilia, life aint all that serious, better take it easy, jokes don't mean you don't get the import of the story,only means you chooose to take things easy ok?
You sound like the dry,humorless type who'll grow grey hairs by 30 and run high hypertension by 40.
take it easy man

me i go come lagos soon, and i plan to arrest at least 40 policemen and women and 40 armed robbers carrying AK47,AK 90,Bazooka, RPG, OTumokpo, JUJU,jazz,hiphopp anything!
Lagos,here i come! grin

Na wah oo, Na because say I talk my own piece u dey give me this deadly analysis?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 10 Richest Governors In Nigeria 2020 / Heavy Soldiers Patrolling In Oyigbo VIDEO / Cross River North: Jarigbe, Odey Know Fate In Appeal Court Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.