Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,171 members, 7,953,634 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:17 PM

The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland (5963 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / List Of Yoruba Dialects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:11pm On Oct 22, 2013
Ugbolo one ka m kwugolu na nnabata IGBO IZUGBE ya egbu onu gboo ayi ? Amaka emena onu Okodu kam ya na asu,lukwaa achi. Aya eti m' ife ?
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:25pm On Oct 22, 2013
bigfrancis21:

You're right. The thread should have been in Igbo instead but not everyone writes Igbo well. And like Afam said, we don't want anyone to be left out.

O dikwa ka anyi a ya-ebido subakwa Igbo ebe anunwa. Nwa awka, kedu ife I lo? cheesy

If you start the thread in Igbo and Chinenye Ngwa comes in and drop atomic bomb what wii you do ? The acknowledgement of Chinenye's written Ngwa is the beginning of wisdom grin

2 Likes

Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 6:16pm On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

If you start the thread in Igbo and Chinenye Ngwa comes in and drop atomic bomb what wii you do ? The acknowledgement of Chinenye's written Ngwa is the beginning of wisdom grin

grin
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ketoprofen(m): 10:20pm On Oct 22, 2013
Radoillo: Standard Igbo (in my opinion) lacks a certain musicality, a certain poetic quality that I find in the dialects of the backwoods. We'll be losing something rich if the dialects diappeared. Watching an Igbo newcaster deliver the news in the stiff Igbo Izugbe is certainly far less enjoyable than listening to my grandma hold a conversation with her peers in her native Awka tongue.

Fact.
Central Igbo is so dry and as u said, non musical.
I originally taught Igbo izugbe was what we speak in the cities but no, its the Igbo they teach in sch and that which they write in books.
A choro m ( i dont want) sounds better than a choghi m.
When we were in sec sch, we used to crack jokes or make jests of ppl in Igbo izugbe just for emphasis; but we resort to 'central Enugu Dialect' in normal conversations.

1 Like

Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ketoprofen(m): 11:23pm On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Ugbolo one ka m kwugolu na nnabata IGBO IZUGBE ya egbu onu gboo ayi ? Amaka emena onu Okodu kam ya na asu,lukwaa achi. Aya eti m' ife ?

Igbo izugbe adighikwa njo.
Kedu ka onye Nkanu ga esi ghota onye Nsukka asi o bughi Igbo izugbe ma o bu onyibo.

Edemede kwanu? I che na mu dee ihe a na Nkanu na I ga ama ihe mu na-ako?
Ghotakwa na Igbo a buchaghi otu: Site na agburu ruo na asusu. Ya bu, Igbo izugbe ga enye aka ijikota Igbo niile o kachasi na ogbako ndo igbo.
Ozo dika ibe ya, uwa asago anya. I were ike jee na obodo ozo izu ahia ma o bu igu akwukwo, i ga achoriri mmeko gi ma ndi ahu( ma ndi i gaghi asuwuru onyibo), o bughizi oge mgbe gboo ahu ndi mmadu na anogide n'obodo ha too ma nogide ebe ahu ruo mgbe ha nwuru.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by odumchi: 12:37am On Oct 23, 2013
This is Igbo Izugbe (Academic Igbo). Look at how mechanical it sounds! It seems as if even the newscasters were having difficulty speaking it. A language is supposed to flow out of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnA2_ayexiQ&sns=em
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 3:12am On Oct 24, 2013
odumchi: This is Igbo Izugbe (Academic Igbo). Look at how mechanical it sounds! It seems as if even the newscasters were having difficulty speaking it. A language is supposed to flow out of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnA2_ayexiQ&sns=em
My ears..

Anyway, Odumchi, I don't know if you remember or not, but a while back I had a certain Ngwa idiom as my signature [m di iri la whne gh]. You supposedly called an "expert on Igbo dialects" about it and she couldn't decipher it grin Well, at 5:50 of the video, Enwernemadhu actually uses the expression. Listen to it. Who knows. Maybe after all this while, you might have picked up a thing or two more about okwu Ngwa and could possibly figure out the meaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPbgMDBWtDE=em
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by odumchi: 4:11am On Oct 24, 2013
ChinenyeN:
My ears..

Anyway, Odumchi, I don't know if you remember or not, but a while back I had a certain Ngwa idiom as my signature [m di iri la whne gh]. You supposedly called an "expert on Igbo dialects" about it and she couldn't decipher it grin Well, at 5:50 of the video, Enwernemadhu actually uses the expression. Listen to it. Who knows. Maybe after all this while, you might have picked up a thing or two more about okwu Ngwa and could possibly figure out the meaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPbgMDBWtDE=em

I remember lol.

I actually understood what he said, though. The problem is not really that I don't understand Ngwa; it's that I don't understand/I'm not familiar with your orthography. Most of the time I don't even know how to pronounce these things you write. I've watched this video several times and each time I understood almost everything they said, except for a few idiomatic expressions and words here and there.

In Standard Igbo what Enwernemadhu would be:
"Aga m eri na gini mere?" It means something to the effect of: "I'd rather starve than concede weakness".

No be so?
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 4:46am On Oct 24, 2013
Yea, you got it the general meaning correct, but I was thinking more along the lines of understanding the actual idiomatic expression. The expression is a legitimate sentence on its own. So, I wondered if actually hearing the expression spoken aloud would help you understand the meaning of the expression/words in isolation.

Basically, forget the context Enwernemadhu presented in the video, and think of it this way: Could someone randomly walk up to you on the street and say "m di iri la whne gh?" and you'd be able to respond appropriately?
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by odumchi: 7:35am On Oct 24, 2013
If I understand correctly, you want to know if I know what the literal translation is.

"m di" - "do I usually"
"iri" - "eat" or "consume" or "share"
"la whne gh" - "from you" or "from what is yours" or "depend on you".

In Izugbe it would be: "adi m mbu erinara gi". And if someone were to ask me that [in Ngwa], I would reply [in Ngwa] "Unh-unh, i digh eri la whne m, kama o so gh, I bia ta anyi rijuo afo m'o I hafu" grin
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 6:34pm On Oct 24, 2013
Lol that's more like it. Who has been teaching you Ngwa? I'm becoming all the more compelled to put your familiarity to the test now.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by odumchi: 11:24pm On Oct 24, 2013
Woko m, okwu gh ke o putara ngiri? I la-ekwu ka I magh la m mbu ejigbo wa afo. Igbo lile di mu uto l'ire.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 12:20am On Oct 25, 2013
odumchi: Woko m, okwu gh ke o putara ngiri? I la-ekwu ka I magh la m mbu ejigbo wa afo. Igbo lile di mu uto l'ire.

Man, I must say that you're quite versatile in various Igbo dialects. Just the other day you spoke fluent anambra. smiley

@You and Radoillo

I wanted to ask this since. The Dimitri guy who wrote the 'Standardization of Igbo language.pdf' article, is he actually a dutch/russian person? Or an Igbo man using a dutch/russian name as pseudonym?

I'm wondering this because his article(s) is overtly comprehensive and well-detailed to every bit of it to be written by an outsider. I'm just wondering.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 12:45am On Oct 25, 2013
odumchi: Woko m, okwu gh ke o putara ngiri? I la-ekwu ka I magh la m mbu ejigbo wa afo. Igbo lile di mu uto l'ire.
Aaa. Wokhoro i chogha onye la i kpa nighinighi; la onwu kena i di sii ishi nmaa nma weee.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Nobody: 12:53am On Oct 25, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Man, I must say that you're quite versatile in various Igbo dialects. Just the other day you spoke fluent anambra. smiley

@You and Radoillo

I wanted to ask this since. The Dimitri guy who wrote the 'Standardization of Igbo language.pdf' article, is he actually a dutch/russian person? Or an Igbo man using a dutch/russian name as pseudonym?

I'm wondering this because his article(s) is overtly comprehensive and well-detailed to every bit of it to be written by an outsider. I'm just wondering.

He's Dutch. No Nigerian blood whatsoever. I think that book began as a doctoral thesis. He visited Nigeria, collected info... interviewed Igbo scholars, including the late Prof Adiele Afigbo.

2 Likes

Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 12:54am On Oct 25, 2013
Bigfrancis, Dimitri actually is a Dutch man. According to the [url=http://tulip.liv.ac.uk/pls/new_portal/tulwwwmerge.mergepage?p_template=hist&p_tulipproc=staff&p_params=%3Fp_func%3Dteldir%26p_hash%3DA725607%26p_url%3DHI%26p_template%3Dhist]University of Liverpool[/url], he is the head of their History department.

1 Like

Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 7:29am On Oct 25, 2013
Thank you guys for the explanation.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by odumchi: 5:01am On Oct 26, 2013
bigfrancis21:

@You and Radoillo

I pick up what little I can whenever I can grin. Ugbuluka asuga m Owere, mana nnyafu asulu m Onicha, echi m ma-asuwa nni Aro.

I see Chinenye and Radiollo beat me to your question lol.

ChinenyeN:
Aaa. Wokhoro i chogha onye la i kpa nighinighi; la onwu kena i di sii ishi nmaa nma weee.

Whne ahu abugh whne m choro o. Whne ke m kaara gi bu la iji gh otu Ngwa nji di uto. Biko, ma agaa kwafu ukwaara....lol

1 Like

Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 8:37am On Oct 26, 2013
Lol kwhasaa la i shiala onwu nunu.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by odumchi: 5:36am On Oct 29, 2013
Amaghi m ma I l'ekwu maka nnunnu ke l'efe efe l'efe efe lol.

Ta anyi hafu ke ahu. Ma ajuo gh otu whne: olee whne 'oriri' putara l'okwu Ngwa? M nuru ebe wo kwuru ya l'abu a:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlLyRUq1luI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMlLyRUq1luI

Gaa la nkeji (minute) ohu l'abu la iri l'ato.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 6:26pm On Oct 29, 2013
O bu "thinking" la "ponderings".
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by odumchi: 8:07pm On Oct 29, 2013
ChinenyeN: O bu "thinking" la "ponderings".

Ejiokwu? La okwu Aro o mbu kwa whne anyi l'akpo kwa ya. M chere Ngwa l'akpo ya "iche echiche". O mbu whne mere o ji mburu m whne itulanya mgbe wo kwuru ya.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 8:29pm On Oct 29, 2013
Ogweke m nchedi la okwu kaa mbu "oriri" nhie owaraobe ke unu (mbu Old Bende) sita la o bu unu mbu nde l'ej'ekwu "iri" ma "risa" ma "rizo". "Iche echiche" mbu whne l'ekwu ekwu nnwe; Ngwa mbiara nwerne okwu odo we l'ej'akpo e.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by odumchi: 9:58pm On Nov 03, 2013
ChinenyeN: Ogweke m nchedi la okwu kaa mbu "oriri" nhie owaraobe ke unu (mbu Old Bende) sita la o bu unu mbu nde l'ej'ekwu "iri" ma "risa" ma "rizo". "Iche echiche" mbu whne l'ekwu ekwu nnwe; Ngwa mbiara nwerne okwu odo we l'ej'akpo e.

Kaa nka. O mburu aghotajiri m whne I kaara m, unu l'akpo ya wo l'abu?
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 2:26am On Nov 04, 2013
Nka ma la gh. Whne m ka mbu la anyi nnwerne "thinking" ke anyi l'okwu anyi (okwu Ngwa) otuma to (despite) anyi njin'akpo e "oriri" (okwu nde ke unu) la "echiche" (okwu Igbo liile l'akpo e). I ghotara kaa?
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by odumchi: 3:28am On Nov 04, 2013
Aghotala m. Ndeewo odo. Olee kwa nu otu unu si ekwu l'okwu ke unu?
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 4:03am On Nov 04, 2013
Nronro ma mgbamgba-erne.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do Benue Men Give Their Wives To Guests As Welcome Gift? My Personal Experience / The Myths Behind Burying The Placenta In Different Cultures / Oriki Ile Yoruba - Tunde Balogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.