Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,819 members, 7,820,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Sanusi: Reject Naira Notes, Go To Jail - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi: Reject Naira Notes, Go To Jail (1072 Views)

Return ‘Arabic Ajami’ To Naira Notes – Muslim Group(MURIC) Urges Buhari! / Too Much Money: This PDP Man Poses With Piles Of Naira Notes - Photo / New Centenary Notes Go Out Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi: Reject Naira Notes, Go To Jail by Abuklaw(m): 10:59am On Oct 13, 2013
Governor of Central bank of Nigeria (CBN) Sanusi Lamido Sanusi has said that any individual or organisation who refuses to accept the naira as a legal tender in Nigeria commits an offence and could be sent to jail.
This is even as Sanusi insisted that the monthly Federation Allocation and Accounts Committee (FAAC) distribution would continue to be distributed in naira as there is no nation in the world that distributes its resources in foreign currency.
He however said that some maritime agencies can receive payment for services in foreign currencies as they are covered by the law.
Speaking during a briefing in Washington DC, the CBN Governor said anyone that is sent funds through Western Union into the country would also receive the naira equivalent of such funds.
He said: “The interesting thing about our country is that we try to be different from others in the world. If you are in the UK and somebody transfers money to you from the United States, in what currency do you get paid in London? Obviously you get paid in pounds. There is nowhere in the world where you go to a bank and because you got a transfer, you insist on being paid in that currency.
If you are Japan you get paid in the Japanese Yen; if you are in China, you get paid in Yuan.”
He explained that the CBN introduced the policy of asking the banks to pay people in dollars because there was a time when the banks used to cheat people by basically giving the people an exchange rate far less than the market rate.
“Now we have said that the exchange rate must be exactly the exchange rate of the inter-bank of the particular date of exchange and the banks are required to display the exchange rate in the banking hall. I don’t see how the bank can continue with a policy that is not consistent with global practices and continue importing dollar and basically saying that we don’t have confidence in our currency.
“Why should Nigeria be the only one that will be paying people dollar because they were sent dollar transfer. Why should we pay your uncle or aunty who is going to spend Naira in Nigeria, dollars because he or she got dollar transfers? They should explain to us why they should be paid in dollars and not Naira. Why should Nigeria be the only one doing such a thing?”
On the debt ceiling crisis in the United States, the Apex Bank chief said that crisis may have some implications on the global economy if the legislature and the executive do not reach some kind of conclusion soon.
“They may be forced into what could become a massive austerity programme and the possibility of a default on its obligations. Not necessarily on the default in their treasury bills because I expect that there will be some form of prioritisation. I don’t see the United states defaulting on its treasury bills as a first line of defence. But they will default in some of their obligations and no one knows exactly how the market is going to react to this.
“The real challenge is for us in emerging and frontier markets and we expect that they will reach some sort of truce within a short while. The government shutdown is more of a domestic issue but the debt ceiling is the one that affects all of us- we hold our reserves in the US dollars, we have invested it in U.S. Treasury Bills and bonds and if there is a slit in those instruments we will suffer loss in the assets that we hold. And so we expect the U.S. to resolve this impasse in the interest of the global economy,” he said.
Meanwhile, Sanusi has said that the CBN has no intentions of revisiting the N5,000 notes issue despite the economic importance of having the notes.
The CBN had last year decided on a currency restructuring that would have resulted, among others, in the introduction of N5,000 notes, but was suspended by the government due to public outcry.
But Sanusi explained that the bank decided to introduce the notes at the time because the nation had inflation in double digits for a very long time, which weakened the purchasing power of the national currency and therefore means people had to carry much more currency than they need to carry out transaction.
He said: “You go to an ATM, you want N100,000, you have to take 100 notes, those notes have a cost and printing those notes you are paying for the paper, paying for the security features, paying for transportation and paying for security while transporting them.
“And then the CBN is going to spend money for destruction of those notes. Banks are paying for them .If you had a N5,000 note, five of you are going to take that N100,000 each, with the same number of notes and at the same cost to the economy. So the economic fundamentals are clear to me, if your currency looses value, printing higher denomination makes economic sense.”
The CBN boss stated that some of the dollarisation in Nigeria’s economy today is as a result of the fact that people do not want to carry so much notes about.
“Why do people need to have $10,000 in their pockets, which is N1.5m. If you had the N5,000 notes, it is three bundles. I have heard people say all these will encourage corruption, well you are having corruption in dollars but you do not want to have it in naira. I have heard all sorts of silly arguments; it will cause inflation, which I have never seen any kind of economic basis for that kind of argument, people got up and made statements, professional institutions, accountants said it is inflationary.
“I don’t know when accountants became economists, I don’t know when changing denomination became the same as increasing money supply. If Nigerians would rather carry Ghana must go bags on their backs, that is fine. If they would rather we continue spending the money printing these notes, that is fine.
“Look if you take a bullion van of N5,000 notes from Abuja to Lagos or from Abuja to Kaduna, you would have to do that trip five times to transport the same value in N1,000 notes. Think of the bullion van, the fuel, the security, the printing, it was very clear to me and very clear that the people who were arguing had no argument, but we had a National Assembly resolution, we had Nigerians threatening to march and the decision is not a CBN one, but a government decision.”
Sanusi asserted that if the government in its wisdom decided to suspend it, then there was nothing the CBN could do about it, adding that if however it rests with the bank to take the final decision, then Nigerians would be using the notes by now.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/10/sanusi-reject-naira-notes-go-to-jail/
Re: Sanusi: Reject Naira Notes, Go To Jail by Emperor007: 11:08am On Oct 13, 2013
He made a good case and point in the 1st and 2nd paragraph.

Re: Sanusi: Reject Naira Notes, Go To Jail by 234GT(m): 11:13am On Oct 13, 2013
For once, Sanusi has brought a good policy to the table. Let's encourage the use of our currency.
Re: Sanusi: Reject Naira Notes, Go To Jail by Xlad(m): 11:25am On Oct 13, 2013
Which good policy? All d countries i hv been to, whenever i go to WU to collect any transfer, they banks usually ask me, "Do you want it in dollars or in their currency". It's now left for the individual like I to decide in which currency i want. let him stop saying as if Nigerians don't travel out to all these countries he mentioned. He suppose to be making policies that will make looting of our money difficult for the wicked Nigerian Politicians.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: Reject Naira Notes, Go To Jail by hardywaltz(m): 11:36am On Oct 13, 2013
I think I support this policy even thoug I detest Sanusi
Re: Sanusi: Reject Naira Notes, Go To Jail by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 13, 2013
This one na for dose wey dia salary be hammer nah. Me wey no dey chop up to 100k how I go come dey expect mek u pay me for dollar,I be mikel obi?
Re: Sanusi: Reject Naira Notes, Go To Jail by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 13, 2013
This guy is an idot o. I thought there where wonderful reasons 4 him to defiantly insist bringing 5000 niara notes, only for him to talk about printing cost and transfer of money to banks cost. Is he sick? Normaly d govt will reprint worn out notes and how much is spent on fuel for transporting cash? are these the point of a nations Bank governor? His talking abt ppl carrying #1.5m, D question is how many civil servants salary in a whole year is up to 1.5m niara? And we are nt talking abt D numerous unemployed in this country. And then u clean 50, 20, to coins, which we never see.
Re: Sanusi: Reject Naira Notes, Go To Jail by Abuklaw(m): 2:18pm On Oct 13, 2013
The CBN governor had made a point for the prudence thought of minimising the cost of operating lower notes but these point didn't justify the introduction of 5000 note which to many, will bring about inflation.
Re: Sanusi: Reject Naira Notes, Go To Jail by bodejohn(m): 3:05pm On Oct 13, 2013
We always like to throw the baby away with the bath water, while the 5000 notes could help some logistics, changing the lower notes to coins would have ofcourse raised inflation.

I still think the best policy for our currencies would have been redenominatiin. It is absolutely useless to be talking about billions when it is worthless.

(1) (Reply)

Bola Tinubu Is The New Awolowo Of Yorubaland And The Leader Of Yoruba Race!!! / BREAKING NEWS ; 37 PDP House Of Reps Members Decamp To The APC / Apc’ll Collapse Soon –presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.