Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car (1630 Views)

How Du You Repair Flood Damaged Vehicles? / Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy / How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car by jenju(m): 4:57pm On Jul 03, 2008
Most USA flood damaged cars, trucks and SUVs are sent to a salvage yard, but some are cleaned up and put into the Nigerian auto market where they'll be bought by unsuspecting buyers who think they're getting a great deal.

Water leaves lasting damage. Electrical and mechanical components will probably fail early. Mold and mildew aren't easy to eradicate. Be on the lookout for these cars because dishonest car dealers move them around.

1. Look for Moisture and Dirt
Look for beads of trapped moisture within the dome light and other lights. Open the glove compartment, console and trunk and inspect them for any sign of dampness or the gritty dirt that's leftover from a flood. Look under the hood for accumulated dirt or signs of rust. Don't forget to slide your hand under the seats to check for signs of moisture.

2. Take a Sniff
Do you smell a sour, mildewy-like odor? Soaked seats, carpeting and other components are difficult to dry in a hurry, so there's plenty of time for mold and mildew to grow, especially if the flood occurred in a hot and humid location.
You might notice other odors associated with the location where the vehicle was flooded, such as the fuel and oil that spilled into flood waters after Hurricane Katrina.

3. Look for New or Mismatched Interior Components
Does the carpeting look brand new--too new for the vehicle? Is it mismatched? Do seat covers seem out of place with the carpeting? Components that don't match-up might have been changed in a hurry after the vehicle was pulled from flood waters.

4. Get a Vehicle History Report from Carfax
Carfax does a great job of researching a vehicle's background, but a clean slate is not a 100% guarantee that the car or truck hasn't suffered water damage.
Look for signs that the car has recently been titled in multiple states, a clue that the owners are attempting to clean up a negative notation on the title, such as salvaged or totaled, by shuffling it into and out of areas where damage disclosures differ or don't exist.

5. Turn it On and Go for a Drive
Turn the car on and check every electrical system possible, including the exterior and interior lights, the gauges, the clock and the audio system and the dash lights that display air bag and seat belt information. Go for a drive and test electrical components again to make sure they work correctly.

6. Let Your Technician Examine the Vehicle
Take the vehicle to a technician you trust and ask for a thorough examination. Experienced auto technicians see evidence of flood damage more often than most individuals do, so they know exactly what to look for.
If the vehicle still has a new car warranty, the warranty is void if your dealer finds evidence of flood damage--even if the damage is not listed on the title.

7. Don't Take a Chance
If you suspect a car or truck has been involved in a flood, walk away from it, quickly, even if it appears to be a deal. The money you save on its purchase price will fade away fast when you start replacing components that fail and aren't covered by a new car or extended warranty. Don't chance it. Find a car or truck you can depend on.

I will post tips on how to spot accident damage shortly.

Yours truly,
J
Re: Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car by fotodaddy: 5:01pm On Jul 03, 2008
Bros J, How far with ma load na
Re: Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car by fotodaddy: 5:02pm On Jul 03, 2008
Bros J, Make you on your messanger na!!!
Re: Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car by jenju(m): 5:07pm On Jul 03, 2008
fotodaddy:

Bros J, How far with ma load na

I dey wait for phone call from your forwarder's US reps. Your load don ready and I don pick up Bentley Manual. I am however headed for the shores to enjoy the beach and some water sports until Sunday night. I expect your goods to be en route to you early next week or as soon as forwarders contact me.

You this man, you too like toys sef. I bet say when you be small pikin na ya toys full ground pass for the neighborhood. smiley
Re: Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car by nkc(m): 7:52pm On Jul 03, 2008
jenju

d guy na toys r' us

thanks for d tips, i am planning on buying my first car, so this tips r helpful grin grin grin
Re: Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car by nkc(m): 7:54pm On Jul 03, 2008
jenju, i also need toys, but mine are gadgets more or less, so pls ETA when coming back
Re: Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car by jenju(m): 9:53pm On Jul 03, 2008
nkc:

jenju, i also need toys, but mine are gadgets more or less, so please ETA when coming back

fotodaddy's so-called toys are heavy duty gadgets o. na me just dey call them toys, I must tell you, the guy has taste.
Re: Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car by nkc(m): 2:46am On Jul 04, 2008
u forgot, we r in d same club, so i knw what d toys r, or do u want me to call there name, make my keyboard break, grin grin grin

r u saying am tasteless angry angry angry

foto is a toy freak grin grin grin

me am a sucker for electronic gizmos, thats my own section, i even wan buy audi a6 looking for how to sell of my moto, buy that one, plus gadgets to go with it, any ideas grin grin grin
Re: Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car by Realpoint(m): 11:41am On Jul 10, 2008
@jenju,

Can you get me a Honda Accord 97 ex,good mileage,Vtech engine?And how much it will cost me from US to Nigeria?
Re: Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car by jenju(m): 5:53pm On Jul 10, 2008
Realpoint:

@jenju,

Can you get me a Honda Accord 97 ex,good mileage,Vtech engine?And how much it will cost me from US to Nigeria?

Realpoint,

I can get you the car on the condition that I deliver to Cotonou port. You wil then have to arrange customs clearing. I'm unable to ship cars that are older than a 2000 model to Nigeria and my customs agent only work out of Apapa.

Cheers,
J

(1) (Reply)

Winter Tyres Advice Pls / Audi's New Sports Bike Weighs Less Than Five Iphones. It Costs Almost $20,000. / Check Out The Cute Eyelashes On This Ride's Headlamp..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.