Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Winter Tyres Advice Pls - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Winter Tyres Advice Pls (1632 Views)

ASWMA Vehicle Spotted With Two Of Its Tyres Missing (photos) / What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / PHOTO: Fully Loaded Cement Truck Spotted Cruising At Lekki With Tyres Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Winter Tyres Advice Pls by mimi237(f): 3:57pm On Nov 22, 2013
Pls what tyre size should I use for 1999 camry also how can I avoid winter tyres. How to identify normal summer tyres pls?
Re: Winter Tyres Advice Pls by kuntash: 5:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
try to get all weather tyres , its common around as new ones.

usually winter tyres found here are written on them M&S that's mud & snow .

the thread on winter tyres are more and often in zig zag form or look

I hope u can manage with this lay man's idea and get what u want ....
Re: Winter Tyres Advice Pls by Ikenna351(m): 6:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
If you are not a speed freak, get H rated tyre. Its good for all weather (abi all seasons) . But if you are speed freak, depending on the size of your wheel, get V, z or W rated tyre. They are otherwise known as performance tyres. Both the V rated tyre will give you better road handling than the H rated tyre on high speed. But the H speed rated tyre should last longer than the V.

Maximum speed H rated tyre can take is 210 km/h, while V rated tyre is 240 km/h.

How to identify the speed rated symbols on the tyres? You will see something like 205/55 R16 91V Or 195/60 R15 88H.

Ikenna
Re: Winter Tyres Advice Pls by NosaHenry(m): 6:25am On Nov 23, 2013
Is it save to use winter types here in Nigeria. I have two that are in a very good condition.
Re: Winter Tyres Advice Pls by kuntash: 7:58am On Nov 23, 2013
Nosa-Henry:
Is it save to use winter types here in Nigeria. I have two that are in a very good condition.

the issue of safety could be relative in this context.

materials for making tyres for seasons , e.g for winter & snow differs from that used in making for other seasons

winter tyres could be prone to break at excessive temperature.

aside the materials used in making it, the most visible diff of winter tyres is the threading on the surface, its so to enhance traction during snow or in muddy areas. and since you cant eat your cake and have it... there is the tendency of increase in gas usage.

to your question in detail, I really dont know why SON permits such tyres though, maybe because it could pass to be used in muddy areas, since we have a couple of muds.... but usually its not designed for the tropics, and its not meant to be used during excessive heat.. so for you to be safe , stick to what the car maker tells you...
Re: Winter Tyres Advice Pls by mimi237(f): 9:25am On Nov 23, 2013
Thank u all for your contributions,
@ kuntash, I saw d M+S
@ikenna, I raised d suspenions on d car I would like to know if 205/70/15 with H would be okay.
Thanks again.
Re: Winter Tyres Advice Pls by Nobody: 9:30am On Nov 23, 2013
mimi237: Thank u all for your contributions,
@ kuntash, I saw d M+S
@ikenna, I raised d suspenions on d car I would like to know if 205/70/15 with H would be okay.
Thanks again.

205/70 R 15 is way too big. 205/60 R 15 is the largest you should safely go.

How was the suspension raised, and by how much? Please post some side profile pictures.
Re: Winter Tyres Advice Pls by dgitrader(m): 5:41pm On Nov 25, 2013
@ ikenna
Nice explanation on speed ratings.
But
Is a tire's speed rating of any importance to us? Where in this country can a sane driver move beyound 190km/hr for more than 2 munites?
Re: Winter Tyres Advice Pls by Ikenna351(m): 6:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
dgitrader: @ ikenna
Nice explanation on speed ratings.
But
Is a tire's speed rating of any importance to us? Where in this country can a sane driver move beyound 190km/hr for more than 2 munites?

My SV D9 came with winter tyres, Q rated, which can only take maximum of 160 km/h. Why on Earth would I have such a tyre, and on a V6 for that matter? Of course, I got rid of them 4 and mounted V rated tyres on the wheel, which can take maximum 240 km/h. Now, thats a matched tyre for the car!

A tyre with maximun speed of 160 km/h means a reasonable maximum speed to push the car is 130 or at most, 140 km/h. It will be unwise to drive the tyre on its maximum speed. Now, did I acquire a V6 stick for just 130 km/h as maximum speed? I don't think so.

Buying a 240 km/h speed tyre does not mean one plans to doing 240 km/h with the car. But the day it will come handy, you will what it means to have a car you cant push beyond 120 km/h to save yourself, simply because the tyre could explode since it wasnt designed for such handle such speed, even though the car can handle the speed. That I have a V6 car doesnt mean I will be doing 200 km/h with it every time i find myself on highway or expressway. One must not make use of the V6 power all the time. It's there, waiting for you to make use of it when it comes handy and damn the fuel economy. Let me ask you. Have you ever been chased on the highway by robbers?

Besides, the my SV D9 left the Show room with V-speed rated tyres, so says the manual. So, I no sabi pass Peugeot.

Ikenna

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Another Vehicle Suspended On Iron Proctector On Oba Ovoramwen Square In Benin / What's Wrong With My Car? / Have A Car To Sell? Get Paid Here CASH Instantly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.