Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,669 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Salami Bows Out Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Salami Bows Out Today (1155 Views)

Buhari Bows To Pressure From Dasuki / Another Fallen Hero:Lt Salami,A Soldier Killed By Boko Haram 4-days Ago(Pictured / INEC: As Jega Bows Out Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Salami Bows Out Today by joshbam: 11:15am On Oct 15, 2013
As the suspended President of the Court of Appeal (PCA), Justice Isa Salami retires today from the appellate court, the Acting President of the Justice Zainab Bulkachuwa may continue in acting capacity as the president of the court, a source confided in LEADERSHIP last night.

LEADERSHIP also gathered yesterday that the National Judicial Council (NJC) is yet to decide on who the substantive President of the court will be.

It was also gathered that the most senior judge in the appellate court is not likely to be considered for the job because of alleged certain issues that concern his career at the court.

The source further said that the acting President will continue in office for the next two months when her tenure as acting president will expire before a substantive PCAwill be appointed.

Justice Bulkachuwa’s appointment as the acting president of the court was renewed about a month ago.

The source further told our correspondent yesterday that, “No name has been pencilled down to replace justice Salami as he bows out from the court tomorrow (today). As you know, the tenure of the acting President of the court was just renewed about a month ago.

“ I am sure in the next two months, you will know if the appointment of present acting president will be confirmed as the substantive president or not. All I can tell you for now is that the court is headed by an acting president”.

Justice Salami, who is retiring today as the president of the court was suspended by the NJC in 2011 under the chairmanship of a former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Aloysius Katsina-Alu.

Before his suspension, he had alleged that Justice Katsina-Alu wanted him to compromise in Sokoto State governorship tussle.

In the history of the judiciary in Nigeria, this is the first time a sitting president of the Court of Appeal will be suspended.

Shortly after he was suspended, Justice Salami dragged the NJC, Justice Katsina-Alu and other before Justice Gabriel Kolawole of a federal high court in Abuja to challenge his suspension.

LEADERSHIP also gathered yesterday that until the court case he filed is dispensed with, he may not be able to receive his entitlement as a retired president of the court.

At a recent book lunch in his honour in Ilorin, Justice Salami said he had no regret for his action during his tenure as the president of the court.

He had said, “You are all aware of the call log issue, none of them, not a single one showed that I ever called Tinubu, Lai Mohammed the ACN chieftains they were referring to.

“We went to the tribunal with witnesses (experts) who were able to show the NJC that you could use my phone in my pocket to call somebody. The experts demonstrated it at NJC. You could use my phone which in my pocket to send text messages to another person.

“All these call logs were fake, but we thank God we survived all the efforts to paint us black. A question was asked and I said Kastina-Alu called to ask me to dismiss Sokoto Appeal and he said no he didn’t call for that; that he called to say that the judgment had leaked. He testified before the NJC and I did my own.

“The chairman of the panel said that the information about leakage was derived from the petition written against me. There was nothing of such in the petition against me. There was not to say against my defence. Is it not in the absence of any evidence to the contrary they should accept my own. They never did that they said my own was unfounded. Did I go there for a tea party? So we just leave everything to God Almighty who is the final arbiter. I assure you all that in spite of what happened I am a very happy man. I have not for a moment, regretted what I did. I am very happy for what I did and I proud of what I did. I thank God Almighty.”

SOURCE IS HERE
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by Goddex: 11:18am On Oct 15, 2013
The APC leadership in the South West owe this man a lot. Fayemi and Aregbesola in particular should compensate him if they have not done so. Tinubu tried compensating him by installing his candidate in the last Ondo state election but the iroko machine crushed them.

2 Likes

Re: Salami Bows Out Today by gregg2: 11:31am On Oct 15, 2013
A very dark chapter in the nation's judiciary finally comes to an end

3 Likes

Re: Salami Bows Out Today by joshbam: 11:34am On Oct 15, 2013
The man was fair in his judgement, must everybody go the same direction with Mr. President The man has done a great job.... Kudos man
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by taharqa: 11:42am On Oct 15, 2013
So he no longa disputes that his own Call logs show that he had some communications with ACN chiefs, but now says someone else 'used' his phones to mk those call...... LOL grin

1 Like

Re: Salami Bows Out Today by TeaParty: 11:45am On Oct 15, 2013
Go home and eat the billions Tinubu used to bribe you corrupt judge,shame.
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by kelvincoll(m): 11:48am On Oct 15, 2013
joshbam: The man was fair in his judgement, must everybody go the same direction with Mr. President The man has done a great job.... Kudos man

Even if the President's direction were right and just? hmmmm.... come to think of it what was the "President's direction" in the first place that makes Justice Salami's counter judgment Fair and great? I thought the President supported Free and Fair election which saw ACN victorious. If say na Abacha abi IBB who for fit cough? grin
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by ERockson: 12:23pm On Oct 15, 2013
Salami kept saying he did not regret what he did. Pls what did he do?
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by joshbam: 12:38pm On Oct 15, 2013
kelvincoll:

Even if the President's direction were right and just? hmmmm.... come to think of it what was the "President's direction" in the first place that makes Justice Salami's counter judgment Fair and great? I thought the President supported Free and Fair election which saw ACN victorious. If say na Abacha abi IBB who for fit cough? grin
if he supports free and fair Election, so what's the main reason why he sacked AIS?
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by 1MCN: 1:01pm On Oct 15, 2013
I really felt for this man in the way he was battered with very heavy stick then. It was a horrendous experience for him. I wondered then what could happen to an ordinary person in our society if a PCA's face could be so marooned.

However, the evidence brought against Salami then were somewhat convincing but the opposition with its noise could not let us diagnose the case on its merit. Salami had denied any calls to Tinubu and Lai Mohammed and other ACN chieftains but when the call log was presented he claimed it must have been transposed. Although calls and SMSes can be transposed, does that automatically rule out the possibility that he placed those calls himself? Considering the time when the said calls were made, can we say his detractors backlogged a transposed call? That is not possible.

Considering Salami's sensitive position in the Public service was it not rather eccentric for him to make such weighty accusation on the then AGF? I think he should have sought a calm means of resolving the Sokoto issue knowing fully that the AGF would not have a choice but to bow considering what will happen if he's stubborn and his act goes public eventually. If Salami said the AGF called him for such a corrupt act he should also produce the call log as the NJC produced his own call. I think he was too fast to talk (to the public) without 1st of all considering the ramifications of his utterance.

Justice Salami's suspension was recommended by the NJC to the president. In the sense of separation of power the president was obligated to approve the suspension while Salami sorts himself out with the people he was fighting (although it was still the AGF and the PDP) but the ACN made it sound as if Salami was in a personal squable with Jonathan.
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by 1MCN: 1:13pm On Oct 15, 2013
ERockson: Salami kept saying he did not regret what he did. Pls what did he do?
While serving as president of the Appeal Court, he watched as the opposition was handed over electoral victory in many states especially in the SW region which was his home region. These victories, according to the PDP, came through the most legally "intransparent and hasty manner". This caused a rouse and the PDP began to trial him. They said they intercepted calls which he had with the opposition key leaders (this is against the ethics of his position). The NJC found that as corrupt and the disciplinary committee set up an enquiry into it which found him culpable (by whatever means I don't claim to know). So he was suspended. As someone who's neither a PDP nor an ACN supporter, this is what I gathered from the entire noise that happened. Maybe someone could come up with the undercurrent issues. You know, here in Nigeria there's always more than meets the eyes, especially in politics.
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 15, 2013
Thank God today as Salami bows out in infamy. Our judiciary is gradually rid of the last dregs of corrupting influences within it.

1 Like

Re: Salami Bows Out Today by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 16, 2013
Good riddance
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by cKaiser: 8:52pm On Oct 16, 2013
Happy retirement Justice Salami.

Icon of democracy

1 Like

Re: Salami Bows Out Today by Kanwulia: 8:54pm On Oct 16, 2013
A very honorable deed INDEED!
I wish that RIBADU will take a hint! grin

When JUSTICE fails to fight INJUSTICE. . . .

SO PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN. . . . !!!! cool
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by gramci: 8:55pm On Oct 16, 2013
Tinubu dog
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by ProfessorPeter(m): 10:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
joshbam: if he supports free and fair Election, so what's the main reason why he sacked AIS?
he was Tinubu's agent. Shame on him
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by joshbam: 11:10pm On Oct 16, 2013
Professor Peter: he was Tinubu's agent. Shame on him
If you had won in the Court of Appeal, you won't call him Tinubu's agent ooo
Re: Salami Bows Out Today by AndroBlaze: 12:51am On Oct 17, 2013
gregg2: A very dark chapter in the nation's judiciary finally comes to an end

Truly it's probablly the most shamelful thing to happen to the Nigerian Judiciary since the Supreme courts laughable Omehia-Amechi judgement. But you are wrong about one thing, the last has not been heard on this matter and the last shouldn't be heard till we all know the full story.

Until then I still sysmpathise with Salami and more importantly our thoroughly discredited and rapped (sic) Judicial system

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Closes Case In Trial Of Fani-kayode Over Alleged Moneylaundering / Imo(se) Wins 2014 NNPC Quiz Competition! / Abdulfatah Ahmed’s Silent Transformation Of Kwara State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.