Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,803 members, 7,817,334 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly (9355 Views)

APC Is The Real Threat To National Security Not Me – fayose / Saraki, Ekweremadu Will Be Sent Packing Next Week – Senator Marafa / Obasanjo Returns $200 Million To National Treasury. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 16, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday said the outcome of the national conference would be sent to the National Assembly. Jonathan promised that he would forward the outcome of the national conference to the National Assembly so that it would form an integral part of the ongoing Constitution amendment.
The president chided some unnamed Nigerian elders whom he accused of making provocative statements in the mass media, thereby instigating one group against another. Jonathan spoke while receiving the Muslim community in the Federal Capital Territory led by Vice President Namadi Sambo and the Minister of State for Federal Capital Territory, Olajumoke Akinjide, who paid him the traditional Sallah homage at the Presidential Villa, Abuja. He said such elders, who were supposed to give the nation the right leadership, always quarrel over nothing and end up insulting themselves while engaging in discussions that lacked direction.
The President said his decision to set up a committee that would work out the framework for a national dialogue was borne out of his desire to provide a platform for Nigerians to engage in discussions that would have direction. He regretted that despite his repeated assurance of his sincerity, many Nigerians were still exercising doubts over his intention. He said, “In Nigeria, we must work very hard, we must talk to ourselves in a way that our children will not develop hate among themselves. And that is one of the key reasons that we decided to have a conversation as a nation. “At times, when you listen to radio and read newspapers, you see even our elders that are supposed to give us leadership quarreling over nothing. And sometimes even insulting themselves and even making provocative statements that will sometimes instigate one group against the other. “We decided that we cannot continue that way, the talking must have a direction. What has been happening on the pages of the newspapers are discussions that have no direction. “We want a country that will have a direction so the discussions must have a direction, the discussions must lead Nigeria to where we want to be, not a divided Nigeria, not a Nigeria that is sown on hate, not a Nigeria that will be based on acrimony, ethnicity and tribal sentiments in the way we conduct ourselves. “That is the reason we set up that committee and we have given them the free will. Some people are still instigating others that the President is doing this, the government does not have the capacity to do that. We are totally committed to do what is right. We don’t need to carry cain to flog Nigerians to show that we are determined.”
He said it was left for all Nigerians to impress it on their representatives in the National Assembly and state Houses of Assembly because state and federal parliaments must work together to ensure that the outcomes were properly enshrined in the Constitution in order to have a better nation. He assured Nigerians that his administration was totally committed to ensuring that it handed over a country whose citizens would live in peace and the next generation would be proud of. He reiterated his position that the killings in some parts of the country had nothing to do with religion or ethnicity.
www.punchng.com/news/national-dialogue-outcome-ll-be-sent-to-nassembly-jonathan/
Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Sllowppoisoon: 8:13am On Oct 16, 2013
Good news
Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by gregg2: 8:15am On Oct 16, 2013
Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by emorse(m): 8:17am On Oct 16, 2013
Sllowppoisoon: Good news
Really? What then is the essence of the conference? So the whole nation will put heads together to chart a way forward only for it to be ratified by a bunch of selfish persons who'd waste no time in discarding whatever resolution that doesn't favour their pockets. Besides, does this mean the NASS is greater than Nigeria?

11 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Sllowppoisoon: 8:21am On Oct 16, 2013
emorse:
really?
read before u comment undecided
Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by emorse(m): 8:35am On Oct 16, 2013
Sllowppoisoon: read before u comment undecided

This man below read before commenting. I suggest you take your advice..

gregg2: National Assembly members should be represented in the confab so that resolutions reached will have an easy passage and be enshrined in the constitution.
Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 16, 2013
grin grin grin

Is this the type of conference that Nigerians have been clamoring for?

The type the outcome will be subjected to unending debate by members of NASS ? This deception ...rigmarole ...waste of money...resources and valuable time should be stopped forthwith...

15 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by jamace(m): 8:55am On Oct 16, 2013
Will those capitalists in the NASS accept anything that will interrupt flow of financial outpour into their pockets?

1 Like

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 16, 2013
NATI0NAL DIALOGUE NEED NATI0NAL ASSEMBLY APPROVAL FOR IMPLIMENTATI0N Hahahahaha Walhy TINUBU IS RIGHT

13 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Ayekotoo(m): 8:56am On Oct 16, 2013
This is exactly what Tinubu said. I see diversionary, deception and wasteful adventure. Nothing good can come out of this present federal government.

6 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by takedat(m): 9:31am On Oct 16, 2013
The motive of those who conceptualized the proposed national conference is gradually coming to the fore, and it has a preconceived agenda behind it and a predetermined outcome for it. The President jumped the gun, I thought he could have waited for the report and recommendations of the advisory committee he constituted to advice him, consult and also prepare the template and modalities for the conference before making any pronouncement. He does not know whether the committee after all consultations would propose that the outcome of the conference be subjected to a referendum or not. This is why some of us have continued to express cautious optimism. Isn't this going to be a government doctored and midwife conference if the national assembly will still have to debate on the outcome of the conference? Will the highly populated Northerners in the hallowed chambers of the NA not vote against constitutional reforms not favorable to their people? Are they not the same self serving law makers who have continuously hampered the passage of bills which are germane to our collective interest? Instead of embarking on a wasteful jamboree and talk show in the name of a national conference whose outcome would be subjected to the whims and caprices of our present crop of lawmakers, why can't the president just conduct a transparent, free and fair elections where Nigerians can vote for their true representatives to trash and deliberate constitutional matters through public hearings on constitutional amendments after 2015?

20 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 16, 2013
Are we talking about our national assembly which is split down the middle on so many existential issues?

If there was previously any hope that this circuitous journey was going to lead us somewhere, we now know for sure that it isn't going to be nirvana. grin

2 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by takedat(m): 9:57am On Oct 16, 2013
eGuerrilla:

If there was previously any hope that this circuitous journey was going to lead us somewhere, we now know for sure that it isn't going to be nirvana. grin

Unfortunately, those of us who continue to question the motive behind this volte-face and also express cautious optimism are shouted down. It will be another crazy circle ride.

2 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by taharqa: 10:05am On Oct 16, 2013
take dat: Its becoming glaring that the proposed national conference has a preconceived agenda behind it. I thought the president could have waited for the report and recommendations of the advisory committee before making any pronouncement. He does not know whether the committee after all consultations would propose that the outcome of the conference be subjected to a referendum or not. This is why some of us have continued to express cautious optimism. Isn't this going to be a government doctored and midwife conference if the national assembly will still have to debate on the outcome of the conference? Are they not the same self serving law makers who have continually hampered the passage of bills which are germane to our collective interest? Instead of embarking on a wasteful jamboree and talk show in the name of a national conference whose outcome would be subjected to the whims and caprices of our present crop of lawmakers, why can't the president just conduct a transparent, free and fair elections where Nigerians can vote for their true representatives to trash out constitutional matters after 2015?
Come on, dont be NAIVE. What were you expecting b4? The Conference to 'share' SOVEREIGNTY with a sitting NA??.... The most realistic hope was always that wheneva the Conference takes place, d structure and processes of d Conference was such that Delegates wud sufficiently come to sm sort of CONSENSUS on sm key issues, so as to have enough Force/Thrust to push the Recommendations of d Conference THROUGH- tru d NA and/or a Referendum. The Force of d Conference, not its 'Sovereignty' was always d only realistic hope of any Conference in Nigeria, except (God forbid) we get to a situation where d very constitutional structures of Govt have collapsed....

2 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by IGBOSON1: 10:08am On Oct 16, 2013
If this happens, then the whole effort would be a waste of time and resources!

Let's be honest with ourselves; a preponderance of the issues holding us back and affecting us as a country are what the core north would like to see continue......they don't want the criminal gains and advantages they got during the military/colonial eras to be taken away from them! If the decisions of the national conference are subject to the approval of the national assembly, then why bother?......they'd shoot down any proposal that affects them negatively!

Honestly, this is why i want out of this country; for as long as i'm sharing the same country with certain peoples, the ability of my own people to reach their full potential economically and socially would be thwarted and sabotaged!

9 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by takedat(m): 10:24am On Oct 16, 2013
taharqa: Come on, dont be NAIVE. What were you expecting b4? The Conference to 'share' SOVEREIGNTY with a sitting NA??.... The most realistic hope was always that wheneva the Conference takes place, d structure and processes of d Conference was such that Delegates wud sufficiently come to sm sort of CONSENSUS on sm key issues, so as to have enough Force/Thrust to push the Recommendations of d Conference THROUGH- tru d NA and/or a Referendum. The Force of d Conference, not its 'Sovereignty' was always d only realistic hope of any Conference in Nigeria, except (God forbid) we get to a situation where d very constitutional structures of Govt have collapsed....
What are you on about? You stated yourself, that "...... To push The recommendations of the conference through the NA and/or a Referendum." Shouldn't the president have waited for the report of the advisory committee which he instituted to consult Nigerians and in their framework is to prepare the template and modalities for the conference, before making a pronouncement? How is he sure the advisory committee won't propose that the outcome be pushed through a 'Referendum' instead of subjecting it to the NASS? Does it not look like it has a preconceived agenda behind it? Another thing is, if the recommendations of the conference will be subjected to NA debate, why can't we just elect our representatives in a truly constitutional process i.e conduct real credible elections in 2015 where Nigerians can decide their true representatives instead of wasting public funds on another charade.

Sovereignty lies with the people. Only the people of Nigeria can decide whether or not to have a National conference. Without a 'Referendum' to have a national conference and decide on the outcome of the conference, it will amount to usurpation of their rights.

11 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Willy2willy: 10:24am On Oct 16, 2013
Why should that go to National Assembly , Jonathan is talking Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by citizenY(m): 10:31am On Oct 16, 2013
This is going to be a very long journey. If there was any sincerity, the right thing to do is to encourage legislators, as representatives of the people to have a ''no holds barred'' dialogue in their chambers covering all the issues , with contributions from the people and come up with the required consensus.

It is a waste to refer any issues on national dialogue to the legislators who are supposed to be the prime movers of national dialogue when they have not had the liver to do it on their own. Or is membership of the national assembly for the purpose of ''collecting'' only?

More importantly, the political party/politicians have displayed dismal failure by not subscribing the national conference or a similar platform as their manifesto. All of them just want power, power . Power to do what?

The power play towards 2015 has so generated so much heat and they want to let off steam , divert our attention and before we know it, the elections are here. I am beginning to believe Tinubu.Though he is also part of the problem.
Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by takedat(m): 10:35am On Oct 16, 2013
Willy2willy: Why should that go to National Assembly , Jonathan is talking Nonsense.
Even a brain dead @Willy2willy, knows that this is nonsense.

16 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Willy2willy: 10:57am On Oct 16, 2013
take dat: Even a brain dead @Willy2willy, knows that this is nonsense.
Look at this Monkey
Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by takedat(m): 11:27am On Oct 16, 2013
^ Why are you angry? I meant that even with your extremely low IQ/intellectual disability and faulty genetics you still deciphered that what the president said is nonsense cheesy

14 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 16, 2013
If the outcome is going to the national assembly, Jonathan can kiss it good bye... Coz its already populated by d northerners,coz I knw they wud neva agree on its implementation,
Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by nonebutme: 12:05pm On Oct 16, 2013
take dat: Unfortunately, those of us who continue to question the motive behind this volte-face and also express cautious optimism are shouted down. It will be another crazy circle ride.
lets just hope that it was not another merry go round
Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Ngwakwe: 12:38pm On Oct 16, 2013
I don't know what to believe again.

Assuming the NASS decides to abandon/kill it like they did the third term agenda/constitution ammendment in 2002?

The more I read meaning into the speech, the more I get confused. GEJ said he gave the committee 100% liberty to draw a plan and agenda for a conference with no oversight, yet he is already vetoing their report and recommendations.

The summary of this speech is that there is no need of a convocation that includes ethnic nationalities since their deliberations/recommendations will certainly be override by Political interest.

I have given up already, accept GEJ rescinds this "killer opinion"

ilugunboy: grin grin grin

Is this the type of conference that Nigerians have been clamoring for?

The type the outcome will be subjected to unending debate by members of NASS ? This deception ...rigmarole ...waste of money...resources and valuable time should be stopped forthwith...

4 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by takedat(m): 12:49pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ngwakwe: I don't know what to believe again.

Assuming the NASS decides to abandon it like third term agenda?

The more I read meaning into the speech, the more I get confused. GEJ said he gave the committee 100% liberty to draw a plan and agenda for a conference with no oversight, yet he is already vetoing their report and recommendations.

The summary of this speech is that there is no need of a convocation that includes ethnic nationalities since their deliberations/recommendations will certainly be override by Political interest.

Do not be confused, we are about to be treated to another bout of government magic.
Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 16, 2013
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Tinubu was right afterall. I was right too because I predicted this would happen. Like or hate Tinubu, he's the smartest politician in Nigeria.

16 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 16, 2013
take dat: ^ Why are you angry? I meant that even with your extremely low IQ/intellectual disability and faulty genetics you still deciphered that what the president said is nonsense cheesy
His brain is affected by the smell of crude oil he grew up around. Willywilly the brain dead smells nothing but crude oil.

1 Like

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by pullyacap: 1:18pm On Oct 16, 2013
At this junctture, I must salute the political astuteness of NLers like Payless,Ilugunboy,Take-dat etc for seeing thru the chicanery of the call for a National Confab with the almighty SOVEREIGNTY missing it

People who are full of hate cursed,harangued,pilloried and almost decimated Tinubu for daring to be courageous for speaking against another round of wastage that is about to be the lot of this Nation deceptively thrown at us by the government when simply put all the reports of several committees should be implemented rather than set up another 'come and chop' confab after which the recommendations so arrived at will then be passed on to the NA.........so for the life of me what then is the difference between the coming jamboree and the fitful constitutional amendment that the NA has been doing all these while with attendant public hearings

Yet some people will curse those who call GEJ CLUELESS?

4 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 16, 2013
take dat: Even a brain dead @Willy2willy, knows that this is nonsense.

*Falls of chair and stained my immaculate white shirt with Ofe from Sallah beef in my hand* grin grin grin
Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ngwakwe: I don't know what to believe again.

Assuming the NASS decides to abandon/kill it like they did the third term agenda/constitution ammendment in 2002?

My guy.....sometimes all we need to make informed judgement is to let go our pre-conceived biases.

GEJ with all his Presidential powers lack the balls to take on some establishment vested interests in Project-Nigeria.

Not everybody that criticizes GEJ should be seen as an enemy..

2 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by gbadexy(m): 1:27pm On Oct 16, 2013
Well, thank God our presido always talks before thinking.
I'm sure if this pronouncement was well thought out or deliberated on by professionals, he wouldn't have jumped the gun.
The purpose of the national conference is defeated already and there is nothing sovereign about it.
Even if he wants to forward it to the national assembly, like tinubu earlier said, the work has already been done before, they should simply "remove the toxic third term part" and present the reports and recommendations of the previous CONFAB constituted by eminent nigerians to the NA and save us this charade.

2 Likes

Re: National Dialogue Outcome To Be Sent To National Assembly by blacksta(m): 1:33pm On Oct 16, 2013
I am laughing at GEJ- the man knows the game. I will psych up Nigerians and then send the report to NASS where i know it will be buried.

A national conference will put GEJ and his corrupt cohorts out of business. who is kidding who

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AFCFTA: What President Buhari Said As He Formerly Accepts Committee Report / PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law / Lagos Compensates More Families Of Deceased RRS Officers With 20 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.