Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,002 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? (8441 Views)

2015/2016 JAMB Direct Entry Admission Processes Into Universities Of Your Choice / Solve This Maths And Win #200 Any Network Of Your Choice Credit Card / What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Capableben(m): 12:24pm On Oct 17, 2013
In most Nigerian families especially where illiterates abound, most parents compell their ward/children to apply for hot courses where medicine/surgery is the common choice.
i was a victim of this. If not for my daddy's understanding, my mum nearly forced me to apply for medicine.-that she wants a doctor in her lineage (lol). I didnt succumb but i applied for pharmacy in my first jamb bt wasnt privileged to get admitted to unn.
i later discovered that i so much fancy engineering. my love for maths escalated exponentially. I now applied for chem engr.
SO, LETS TALK. DID MUM OR DAD INFLUENCE UR CHOICE OF COURSE OF STUDY
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Fynestboi: 12:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
NO
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Capableben(m): 12:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
Fynestboi: NO
OGA ME; THANKX cheesy
Fynestboi: NO
OGA ME; THANKX
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by twaintoy(f): 1:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
It was almost. My mum wanted me to study law, we went to Igbinedion university okada to write the entrance exam, i was immediately given admission letter, my brother then raised an alarm that admission can never be given exactly 5minutes after writing the test, them never even finish marking the scripts wen dem dey dash us admission. My mum gave in to my brother that we should look for another school. Since she wanted benin city for me, we then went to Benson Idahosa university. when we got there, the VC told us that candidates for law has been filled up according to the speculations NUC gave them, as dem never give dem full accreditation then. My mama vex so tey my papa dey cool am down, on top this law?. VC gave us the list of courses the school was offering and he said we should go home to choose one. Immediately we got home, i just dragged my mum inside the room, and told her i wanted MASS COMMUNICATION. She later reasoned with me and said one thing, she said "its not good for parents not to give their children the opportunity to choose what they want"(course of study inclusive), we later went back to Idahosa University, i wrote the entrance exam and was given admission some months after. Now, i am a mass communication graduate, graduated 3years ago, i am now a lecturer in my state polytechnic and i love my course of study. Had it been i studied law, would have been the worst lawyer ever. This is my story. Parents, abeg make una no dey choose course of study for una children, its not the best.

15 Likes

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Harrisonn(m): 1:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
twaintoy: It was almost. My mum wanted me to study law, we went to Igbinedion university okada to write the entrance exam, i was immediately given admission letter, my brother then raised an alarm that admission can never be given exactly 5minutes after writing the test, them never even finish marking the scripts wen dem dey dash us admission. My mum gave in to my brother that we should look for another school. Since she wanted benin city for me, we then went to Benson Idahosa university. when we got there, the VC told us that candidates for law has been filled up according to the speculations NUC gave them, as dem never give dem full accreditation then. My mama vex so tey my papa dey cool am down, on top this law?. VC gave us the list of courses the school was offering and he said we should go home to choose one. Immediately we got home, i just dragged my mum inside the room, and told her i wanted MASS COMMUNICATION. She later reasoned with me and said one thing, she said "its not good for parents not to give their children the opportunity to choose what they want"(course of study inclusive), we later went back to Idahosa University, i wrote the entrance exam and was given admission some months after. Now, i am a mass communication graduate, graduated 3years ago, i am now a lecturer in my state polytechnic and i love my course of study. Had it been i studied law, would have been the worst lawyer ever. This is my story. Parents, abeg make una no dey choose course of study for una children, its not the best.

wow, what a story undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Danhumprey: 1:40pm On Oct 17, 2013
My parents did. And I tried to live up to that,but I bogged down when the pressure was too much. I kinda fancy the course they ask me to study,but as time went on,I realise that that wasn't my field. So,I had to register for the course I really fancied and was good at.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Vivly(f): 1:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
Not really. My parents let me choose. However, they did set restrictions for me and my siblings. There was no room for artistic courses like Theatre arts, music, fine arts and even mass communication. So far as your choice falls into their radar of professional courses, you're free to choose.
If you wanted those other courses, you'd have to chase that after your first degree probably with your own money. Deep down, most persons' choice of course are unconsciously influenced by their parents. You tend to go for those courses you think your parents would be cool with.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by AbuMikey(m): 1:53pm On Oct 17, 2013

Mr. tried his best to make me choose Accounting, Mrs. tried her best to make me choose Marine Engineering, But Mikey did everything possible to make sure they agreed with Me on choosing Architecture cool

2 Likes

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by AbuMikey(m): 1:56pm On Oct 17, 2013
twaintoy: It was almost. My mum wanted me to study law, we went to Igbinedion university okada to write the entrance exam, i was immediately given admission letter, my brother then raised an alarm that admission can never be given exactly 5minutes after writing the test, them never even finish marking the scripts wen dem dey dash us admission. My mum gave in to my brother that we should look for another school. Since she wanted benin city for me, we then went to Benson Idahosa university. when we got there, the VC told us that candidates for law has been filled up according to the speculations NUC gave them, as dem never give dem full accreditation then. My mama vex so tey my papa dey cool am down, on top this law?. VC gave us the list of courses the school was offering and he said we should go home to choose one. Immediately we got home, i just dragged my mum inside the room, and told her i wanted MASS COMMUNICATION. She later reasoned with me and said one thing, she said "its not good for parents not to give their children the opportunity to choose what they want"(course of study inclusive), we later went back to Idahosa University, i wrote the entrance exam and was given admission some months after. Now, i am a mass communication graduate, graduated 3years ago, i am now a lecturer in my state polytechnic and i love my course of study. Had it been i studied law, would have been the worst lawyer ever. This is my story. Parents, abeg make una no dey choose course of study for una children, its not the best.

Abeg, commot for road make I see front jor angryangry

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by jaryeh(m): 2:05pm On Oct 17, 2013
No one decided for me.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 17, 2013
afta G0d,itwaz me,myself and i dat decided 4 m0i...
.#TEAM;bi0SCIENCE.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by homesteady(m): 2:16pm On Oct 17, 2013
Emm! Yes! My dad made me to join science class. I wanted to read mass com. or theatre art, but my dad said I should join science class and I joined and I don't regret entering science class!
When it was time to fill JAMB form, he was advising me to choose engineering, but I told him NOOO! I was not ready to write maths in jamb grin So I applied for Medicine, but I didn't get it, instead I got forestry and wildlife, but latter changed to dentistry! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by twaintoy(f): 2:24pm On Oct 17, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Abeg, commot for road make I see front jor angryangry

Guess u should open ur eyes to see the front

4 Likes

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Capableben(m): 8:11am On Oct 18, 2013
mum undecidedmum
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 18, 2013
No!
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by felzylix(m): 3:26pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nop! Ma school did
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by donphilopus: 3:27pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nope
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by damibravo(m): 3:27pm On Oct 18, 2013
No!

Being Making my academics decisions since JS1.

2 Likes

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Codedrock(m): 3:28pm On Oct 18, 2013
Yeah kind of, for me. My Dad believed i really really have to study medicine and i liked it too. But my ability remains small to reach. You know.. Life doesnt always turn out the way we want it.

1 Like

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by IceSplash(f): 3:30pm On Oct 18, 2013
yep.mum said i had to do a science course
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by zeekz(m): 3:34pm On Oct 18, 2013
majority of peeps have been influenced by jamb to pick courses dey have no interest in cause dey want to b in skul and nt wait forever.

1 Like

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Foxylad: 3:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
No nt by dem
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Merkki(f): 3:37pm On Oct 18, 2013

Lecturer, please learn to put paragraphs and good punctuation marks.

7 Likes

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by dridowu: 3:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
Yep, dou i neva plan to study my moniker but my fada influence it . Well to d glory of God am enjoying it.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Flygeriansteve: 3:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
Na so una dey fail. YES/NO question na him warrant this Story of my Life ? undecided
@topic, yes and no undecided

2 Likes

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
Yes .... !!!

It wasn't dictated to me but I chosed after them !!
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 18, 2013
Obama was questioned by a CNN reporter as regards your comment. Well! The picture below was his reply

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by snika: 3:41pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nope. Not at all smiley
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 18, 2013
No
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Sllowppoisoon: 3:44pm On Oct 18, 2013
No
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:47pm On Oct 18, 2013
Yes!!!

My Mother had been signing it like a song since we were kids that she wants only Engineers..

So when it came time to go to the university; She bought the JAMB form and filled out Petroleum Engineering.. When I dropped out and went to Ghana, she again bought the form for Geological Engineering.. So today, here I am, a Geological Engineer. Funny enough, I havent worked a day as a Geological engineer..

1 Like

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by njuwo(m): 3:47pm On Oct 18, 2013
D garri dat am studying now was influence by them o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Stipulated Date For Unizik Pre Science Resumption Is On 13th Feb. -read On. / Uniport 2016/2017 3rd Batch Admission 07069730081 / Postgraduate Fees For Nigeria Defence Academy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.