Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,851 members, 7,817,521 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team (34138 Views)

Nigerian Game Development: What's Happening? / Game Development: Join The Team / Who Wants to Start an Electronic Game Development Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by jjk24(m): 3:24pm On Oct 20, 2013
I support d unity engine notion !! I tink we nid 2 start making decisions we need a leader or we split the work in2 groups programming team 3d modelling team and so on with leaders!! !! And sci-fi as gotten stale 2 me though!! .
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Ajibel(m): 3:31pm On Oct 20, 2013
I agree the storyline should reflect the Nigerianness in us. Buh the best plot we can get for nau is terrorism. If I'm to say Nigerian myths like we have as God of war in Greek myths then the storyline would be greatly inspired and lifted from GOW except we have someone very versed in our myths to help present a good concept. Another option is to try a burnout buh with a Nigerian setting with danfos, keke napeps, untarred roads, bribe police, and so on... So y'all think towards a myth, action( terrorism or crime) and racing. Don't think of Football or BBall except you want to start licensing bullshit before the game is actually completed
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by elvis10ten(m): 3:39pm On Oct 20, 2013
Ajibel: I agree the storyline should reflect the Nigerianness in us. Buh the best plot we can get for nau is terrorism. If I'm to say Nigerian myths like we have as God of war in Greek myths then the storyline would be greatly inspired and lifted from GOW except we have someone very versed in our myths to help present a good concept. Another option is to try a burnout buh with a Nigerian setting with danfos, keke napeps, untarred roads, bribe police, and so on... So y'all think towards a myth, action( terrorism or crime) and racing. Don't think of Football or BBall except you want to start licensing bullshit before the game is actually completed
make i go consult my village people.

1 Like

Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by elvis10ten(m): 3:41pm On Oct 20, 2013
What about Nigeria civil war ? Or a hunting game ?
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by wiegraf: 3:56pm On Oct 20, 2013
Jivi:

I respect your analysis and opinion and I think you are right from your point of view. However, from my point of view, I want you to know that Next Gen is not close to unrealistic. It is infact very realistic and also, we are not competing with AAA title. They simply should not exist in our mind. We are just going to do our thing and we would do our very best and be the very best we can be. There is a common saying "Shoot to the moon, If you miss, you land among the stars". The next gen of today will be the games of tomorrow and that is why we cannot afford to aim low, otherwise, we would remain behind while the world moves forward.
I think its high time we caught up and trust me its not as difficult as you may think. We just need a team of people with diverse talents, (not necessarily geniuses), the combination of which makes for genius level work.
The Custom game engine I am proposing supports recent rendering techniques and has Nvidia PhysX engine integrated like any other game engine and new features can easily be built in for a period of three years running. We can add the latest hardware enabled techniques as they come rather than waiting for an established engine to make the change if they ever make it or trying to master the huge code base which definitely takes time in order to make such a change. Also, I wrote the engine and since I am part of the team. They get first hand knowledge if they run into problems and I think that is a very big advantage to using such an engine. Also, new features requested by the team can easily be added on time. However, I am opened to people's suggestion concerning the game engine.
We are building for PCs (Windows, Mac and Linux) only and not consoles(PS4 etc) or mobile. Also, we are only targeting next gen graphics hardware, (naija or not). We cant limit ourselves on that basis. Like I said, we have to move forward.
Experience does not matter in this context. This a three year project with training involved at least on the programming side for now. In a year time at most, the lack of experience would be a thing of the past at least for those that are going to be actively involved in the project.

A question if I may, is demonstrating raw technical prowess, not just say world building, novel gameplay mechanics, etc, important to you? Is that one of the reasons you'd rather use an in-house engine as well?

It's a lovely initiative btw, hope it's successful
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 4:00pm On Oct 20, 2013
Thanks all (wiegraf, Javanian, worldbest, jjk24) for the Input. Unity 3D Game Engine is a great choice. So, we should use Unity for the project. Unity uses C#, JavaScript and boo. C# is similar to Java and C++. So, Java and C/C++ developer can still contribute immensely to this project.
However, a tutorial for gameplay programming will still be organized to explain the design patterns used for proper game development.
Thanks All.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by CODEEATER(m): 4:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
The ideas keep coming from all angles

So am sitting here with a hot plate of jollof rice and something occurs to me...

What if we mix it all up...bring a little something something from way back when and modern day country and world ...

E.g

Mix the terrorism and civil war idea...adding some new stuff to it,and even throwing in the Moliere n keke part into it..as used in gta ..

I don't know if u get my drift ...

My plot still they come sha ..putting pen to paper...
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by CODEEATER(m): 4:05pm On Oct 20, 2013
Come o..Nairaland can't serve for a good discussion ground..

Lets create a whatsapp group ..

Faster communication ..
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Nobody: 4:13pm On Oct 20, 2013
Jivi:

The Custom game engine I am proposing supports recent rendering techniques and has Nvidia PhysX engine integrated like any other game engine and new features can easily be built in for a period of three years running. We can add the latest hardware enabled techniques as they come rather than waiting for an established engine to make the change if they ever make it or trying to master the huge code base which definitely takes time in order to make such a change. Also, I wrote the engine and since I am part of the team. They get first hand knowledge if they run into problems and I think that is a very big advantage to using such an engine......... However, I am opened to people's suggestion concerning the game engine.........

Inasmuch as I would love to see something like this being done with Unity3d, we shouldnt overlook the fact that the OP says he has written his own game engine. Especially the bolded argument in the post I quoted. He does have some point there.
You should ask him to convince u why his is better for the project he has in mind than more general engines like Unity. Maybe his is more lightweight and require a little less hassle.
Also, he wrote his own engine! We dont know why he did that or how long he spent doing it. Maybe it is just his hobby. Or maybe he wants to be more of a world class game developer and he would like to be designing game engines in the future. He probably wants to use this project to test his limits and improve in the process. That is probably why he wants to embark on this project I am sure it will be a true testimony to his abilities.
We shouldnt just ask him to throw away his game engine that he probably spent years and hardwork learning how to make just because we all love Unity3D and probably lose his ambition thereby.

@OP. You should probably give us a much more lucid idea why your game engine is better based on points such as ease of use, platform target, user-base target etc..
And, just as everybody else has adviced, u should try and check out Unity3D too. U may fall in love with it and prefer it just like everybody else here. Because I no go lie u, my guy, me sef like Unity3D. grin
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 4:13pm On Oct 20, 2013
wiegraf:

A question if I may, is demonstrating raw technical prowess, not just say world building, novel gameplay mechanics, etc, important to you? Is that one of the reasons you'd rather use an in-house engine as well?

It's a lovely initiative btw, hope it's successful

That's not the point. The truth is using an in house engine makes those who would work on the project way smarter technically after the project as against using a 3rd party software which shields you from most difficulties and keeps you in the dark. From a programming point of view. You would be a good programmer before the project and after the project, you are still a good programmer who used a great tool and you really would not gain additional knowledge. One of the main points of this project is to ensure everyone's knowledge of core techniques improves tremendously making for great professionals afterwards. In other words, your time gets well spent.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 20, 2013
Em....ignore my last comment since u have already decided to use Unity3D. I am following closely.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 4:17pm On Oct 20, 2013
PhenomenonVFX:

Inasmuch as I would love to see something like this being done with Unity3d, we shouldnt overlook the fact that the OP says he has written his own game engine. Especially the bolded argument in the post I quoted. He does have some point there.
You should ask him to convince u why his is better for the project he has in mind than more general engines like Unity. Maybe his is more lightweight and require a little less hassle.
Also, he wrote his own engine! We dont know why he did that or how long he spent doing it. Maybe it is just his hobby. Or maybe he wants to be more of a world class game developer and he would like to be designing game engines in the future. He probably wants to use this project to test his limits and improve in the process. That is probably why he wants to embark on this project I am sure it will be a true testimony to his abilities.
We shouldnt just ask him to throw away his game engine that he probably spent years and hardwork learning how to make just because we all love Unity3D and probably lose his ambition thereby.

@OP. You should probably give us a much more lucid idea why your game engine is better based on points such as ease of use, platform target, user-base target etc..
And, just as everybody else has adviced, u should try and check out Unity3D too. U may fall in love with it and prefer it just like everybody else here. Because I no go lie u, my guy, me sef like Unity3D. grin

I like Unity too. It is easy to use. Right?
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by jjk24(m): 4:21pm On Oct 20, 2013
CODE-EATER:
The ideas keep coming from all angles

So am sitting here with a hot plate of jollof rice and something occurs to me...

What if we mix it all up...bring a little something something from way back when and modern day country and world ...

E.g

Mix the terrorism and civil war idea...adding some new stuff to it,and even throwing in the Moliere n keke part into it..as used in gta ..

I don't know if u get my drift ...

My plot still they come sha ..putting pen to paper...
l0lz hw bout an ass creed type of theme where by u play as the great grand father of awa protagonist and use d village theme I mentioned b4 and als0 as d protagonist in the present day time mayb fighting as one of does youth volunteer er in d boko haram ish and he his d one who ends it all lyk his great grand father did mayb a village dispute or sumfin .1st decision made we using unity!! Cheers
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Javanian: 4:21pm On Oct 20, 2013
Jivi:

I like Unity too. It is easy to use. Right?

It is very easy, you would love it. since you already have experience in Game Dev. it would take you few days to grasp it grin. It took me about a month and i had no prior experience in anything 3D.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by CODEEATER(m): 4:25pm On Oct 20, 2013
Blender is free cry
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 4:32pm On Oct 20, 2013
Elvis10ten, Ajibel and jjk24.
Great Game Story Inputs.
I will compile them all.
Crime Fighting, the Civil War and the Real time Strategy ideas seems good.
We could make a Nigerian centric Scifi.
The Sango Idea seems nice if we can expand on it along with the history of the Yorubas during the reign of Sango as the Alaafin I believe.
Sango could be god of war-ish in nature as Ajibel suggested.
checkout this blog
http://tia-thisisafrica..com/2011/04/sango-god-of-thunder_17.html
Based on the Real time Strategy(RTS), we could create different cultural groups with diverse strengths and weaknesses warring against each other like ages of empire and Rise of Nations.
Thanks for the input
Keep the Ideas rolling.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 4:33pm On Oct 20, 2013
Javanian:

It is very easy, you would love it. since you already have experience in Game Dev. it would take you few days to grasp it grin. It took me about a month and i had no prior experience in anything 3D.

Actually, I can use it already.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by jjk24(m): 4:33pm On Oct 20, 2013
L0lz dis site sha I keep typing ass it kips writing bottom lolz. I mean assassin abeg!! S0 what's next!! grin
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by elvis10ten(m): 4:49pm On Oct 20, 2013
We can check some Naija films out for more ideas. Lol.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by elvis10ten(m): 4:54pm On Oct 20, 2013
I was thinking of something Hustler related. We use a city like lagos and some other major cities. The person playing the game will decide what to do, either a crime guy or a hustler. All what he needs to be good and bad will be present: guns,bombs,keke napep,phones,cash,houses. If this game is meant only for Nigerians, then we can add the roughness and scattered nature of most street.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 4:55pm On Oct 20, 2013
elvis10ten: We can check some Naija films out for more ideas. Lol.

Yeah, Do you have anyone in mind?
That would help a lot with prehistoric sort of story lines with a warrior character having to accomplish
a mission by fighting spiritual forces.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by elvis10ten(m): 4:57pm On Oct 20, 2013
We can also build a game for the movie 'Tears of the sun'. An america action movie acted in Naija.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by elvis10ten(m): 4:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
Jivi:

Yeah, Do you have anyone in mind?
That would help a lot with prehistoric sort of story lines with a warrior character having to accomplice
a mission by fighting spiritual forces.
Nope, i don't watch Naija movies.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by elvis10ten(m): 5:01pm On Oct 20, 2013
@code-eater, we are waiting for you.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by elvis10ten(m): 5:03pm On Oct 20, 2013
@jivi, how will the warrior fight the spirits. It would be with charms i guess, which will be so boring without a fight.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by elvis10ten(m): 5:09pm On Oct 20, 2013
Why don't we create a thread on this in the literature section or another section. It would be best if this is handled by a pro in that field.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 5:10pm On Oct 20, 2013
elvis10ten: @jivi, how will the warrior fight the spirits. It would be with charms i guess, which will be so boring without a fight.
Well, its not going to be super-realistic. The charms will enable you to be able to fight them physically and they will have special powers too. That is why it is a game.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by CODEEATER(m): 5:18pm On Oct 20, 2013
elvis10ten: Why don't we create a thread on this in the literature section or another section. It would be best if this is handled by a pro in that field.

U Don 4get say me na lit stud?
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by elvis10ten(m): 5:18pm On Oct 20, 2013
Jivi:
Well, its not going to be super-realistic. The charms will enable you to be able to fight them physically and they will have special powers too. That is why it is a game.
ok, i get now. I thought the warrior will just recite some incantation and the spirit will disappear.

1 Like

Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by CODEEATER(m): 5:20pm On Oct 20, 2013
If you're thinking charms and RPG ..checkout gauntlet on ps2.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by elvis10ten(m): 5:43pm On Oct 20, 2013
CODE-EATER:

elvis10ten: @code-eater, we are waiting for you.
CODE-EATER:

Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by petereddy(m): 5:54pm On Oct 20, 2013
Sango is god of thunder,how about that?His tool is gonna be the thunder and it would surely make perfect sense

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Microcontrollers / What Is Computer Programming / First Thing First, Learn To Program!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.