Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,495 members, 7,954,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:04 PM

Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? (30064 Views)

Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health / Is Orgin Really Bad? / Why Is Coke Zero Bad For You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Rubyventures: 12:27pm On Oct 18, 2013
A couple of years back, I watched a documentary on CNN, stating that the highest rate of heart disease in the world, is in a small town called Abraka, situated in the old Bendel state. I don't know if there is anyone here is watched or heard of this documentary. After much investigation and reading, it occurred to me that the problem is from the high consumption poly saturated fats. The source which is Palm oil, which is consumed in very high quantities in the delta areas. ( Banga soup, Owo etc.)
Palm oil contains dangerous fats and should not be consumed in high quantities. After all the gruesome images in that documentary I stopped taking foods prepared with palm oil. At first it wasn't easy but I am so used to it I don't miss it.

I think Palm oil should be used for more commercial purposes: like soaps, creams etc. and internal consumption should be restricted.

As a rule of the thumb, any oil that congeals in the bottle I don't consume, I've tried getting my folks to give it up and I understand that it is impossible especially when you are used to it.

Is there any one here who thinks otherwise or has a similar experience?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by temisukanmi(f): 12:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
Wetin we no go hear!! Thought vegetable oil was bad, now its palm oil.. All dis stop dis, stop dat stuff is getting out ☀̤̣̈̇f hand. I once read dat palm oil is gud for the eyes..

9 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Rubyventures: 1:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
temisukanmi: Wetin we no go hear!! Thought vegetable oil was bad, now its palm oil.. All dis stop dis, stop dat stuff is getting out ☀̤̣̈̇f hand. I once read dat palm oil is gud for the eyes..

All I am saying is that Palm oil is very high in Poly saturated fats, these fats clog up the arteries. If you know this fact are you still prepared to take this risk?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by felzylix(m): 6:33pm On Oct 18, 2013
Now that palm oil is not good for consumption, what have ur researchers come out with as an alternative use

2 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by 0monnakoda: 6:33pm On Oct 18, 2013
Rubyventures:

All I am saying is that Palm oil is very high in Poly saturated fats, these fats clog up the arteries. If you know this fact are you still prepared to take this risk?
Not true that is superficial Science. The subject has been well researched in Malaysia . So rather than be sensational don't be LAZY do some research

5 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by LordBabs(m): 6:33pm On Oct 18, 2013
Fourth to comment! It's not easy o!
Gotta improve next time. cool grin
Skelewu mode cheesy angry grin

1 Like

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by IleIfe2(m): 6:34pm On Oct 18, 2013
Yes, Nigerian (west african) palm oil as we know it is unrefined and bad for your health.
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 18, 2013
It is not the Natural Palm Oil, our forefathers used these same Palm Oil in their foods, and they lived Longer than our generation.

21 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by westside6: 6:35pm On Oct 18, 2013
O boy na wa oo, stop this, stop that, do not eat this, do not eat that, wetin man go come shop abeg. If palm oil is bad as u have just stated, then all of us in this country should have been dead by now. Think about it.

3 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by imsuboi(m): 6:35pm On Oct 18, 2013
eddiebruk: It is not the Natural Palm Oil, our forefathers used these same Palm Oil in their foods, and they lived Longer than our generation.

GBAM

3 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
It isn't but too much has it's effect.

1 Like

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by AdimGreat(f): 6:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
3 posts and it's already on fp...mods una well done o
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by 0monnakoda: 6:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1836037Med J Malaysia. 1991 Mar;46(1):41-50.
Effects of palm oil on cardiovascular risk.
Chong YH, Ng TK.
Source

Palm Oil Research Institute of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
Abstract

A major public health concern of affluent nations is the excessive consumption of dietary fats which are now closely linked to coronary heart disease. Against this scenario, the tropical oils and palm oil in particular, have been cast as major villains in the U.S.A., despite the fact that palm oil consumption there is negligible. The unsuspecting public may not realise that the call to avoid palm oil is nothing more than a trade ploy since in recent years palm oil has been very competitive and has gained a major share of the world's edible oils and fats market. Many also lose sight of the fact that, palm oil, like other edible oils and fats, is an important component of the diet. The allegation that palm oil consumption leads to raised blood cholesterol levels and is therefore atherogenic is without scientific foundation. Examination of the chemical and fatty acid composition of palm oil or its liquid fraction should convince most nutritionists that the oil has little cholesterol-raising potential. The rationale for these are: it is considered cholesterol free. its major saturated fatty acid, palmitic acid (16:0) has recently been shown to be neutral in its cholesterolaemic effect, particularly in situations where the LDL receptors have not been down-regulated by dietary means or through a genetic effect. palm oil contains negligible amounts (less than 1.5%) of the hypercholesterolemic saturated fatty acids, namely lauric acid (12:0) and myristic acid (14:0). it has moderately rich amounts of the hypocholesterolaemic, monounsaturated oleic acid (18:1, omega-9) and adequate amounts of linoleic acid. (18:2, omega-6). It contains minor components such as the vitamin E tocotrienols which are not only powerful antioxidants but are also natural inhibitors of cholesterol synthesis. Feeding experiments in various animal species and humans also do not support the allegation that palm oil is atherogenic. On the contrary, palm oil consumption reduces blood cholesterol in comparison with the traditional sources of saturated fats such as coconut oil, dairy and animal fats. In addition, palm oil consumption may raise HDL levels and reduce platelet aggregability. As with all nutrients, there is a need to obtain a balance of different fatty acids found in fats in edible oils and other food sources. There is no single ideal source of fat that answers to the recent American Heart Association's call to reflect a 1:1:1 ratio of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in relation to the recommended dietary fat intake of 30% of calories or less.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS)

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

17 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Aromas: 6:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
Yes is good 4 our health in d sense dat!!!!!!
Pls wait lemme check my beans

5 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Nuvally: 6:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
Maybe they wanna promote their oil. We aint Buying shit!

BTW. Palm oil is really not good for SOME people.

In miley cyrus voice "we can't stop"

1 Like

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Nuvally: 6:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
Maybe they wanna promote their oil. We aint Buying shit!

BTW. Palm oil is really not good for SOME people.

In miley cyrus voice "we can't stop" nd "we won't stop"

1 Like

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by LordBabs(m): 6:39pm On Oct 18, 2013
AdimGreat: 3 posts and it's already on fp...mods una well done o
beats me too upon discovery. The mods are really doing undecidedwell undecided
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by felixzo1(m): 6:39pm On Oct 18, 2013
all of this is American propaganda. USA is the world highest producer of soy beans and American companies produce a lot of soy bean based vegetables oil. it is just a way of discouraging people from eating palm oil,and promote their companies. if oil palm was grown in American. CNN would have reported it is the best oil in the world

7 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Henrypraise: 6:40pm On Oct 18, 2013
D documentary claiming dat Abraka holds d world record of heart disease may not be tru, d reason: Eku is a town in abraka were d famous Eku baptist hospital is. The hospital was so famous in d 70s - 90s cos it provided d medical needs of almost all everybody living in d old bendel state most especially amongst d urhobos, Ijaws n itsekiris. The hospital was deligent in record keepin and dia services were almost free.
My point, abraka/ eku attracted all sick pple hence dey were registered at Eku babptist hospital in Abraka.

My take on palm oil: palm oil might not be d major cause of hrt related diseases, however, d cos of heart disease amongst pple who were treated at Eku baptist hospital in abraka may not be far from dia choice of diet as des 3 tribes eat almost same diet which are usually salty n spicy.

I even stopped takin pepper soup at home cos I can't n don't knw d essence n composition of d spices employed.
I didn't watch d documentary however, one of my American co worker once mentioned to me dat d worst tin Nigerians eat is palm oil.

1 Like

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 18, 2013
What else will I use to substitute for palm oil? It is palm oil or nothing! To hell with what CNN says! angry
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Holyrule(m): 6:41pm On Oct 18, 2013
nice one
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by felixzo1(m): 6:41pm On Oct 18, 2013
g
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Sicozone(m): 6:41pm On Oct 18, 2013
..I dey cum abeg make i chop this sweet banga soup n eba finish first........

3 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by condralbede(m): 6:41pm On Oct 18, 2013
hairbraiding: hmm, tough call.
Palm oil bad for your heart.
Palm oil good for your eyes. Serious dilemma

http://www.hairbraidingnetwork.com/
I confuse die oh
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by BarryX(m): 6:42pm On Oct 18, 2013
I prefer food with Palm Oils than those cholesterol-bound vegetable oil.
Please don't bastardize our "Banga soup --- it's one in a million food ---
Westerners are surprised at the ingenuity

6 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Sicozone(m): 6:42pm On Oct 18, 2013
felixzo1: all of this is American propaganda. USA is the world highest producer of soy beans and American companies produce a lot of soy bean based vegetables oil. it is just a way of discouraging people from eating palm oil,and promote their companies. if oil palm was grown in American. CNN would have reported it is the best oil in the world
abi now. God bless you jare.......oyinbo people and their deceit.

2 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 18, 2013
I don't care!!!
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Mystiqme: 6:43pm On Oct 18, 2013
Data on the health effects of palm oil has been iffy...

Open Access Impact of red palm oil on human nutrition and health

Author: Kritchevsky, David

Source: Food & Nutrition Bulletin, Volume 21, Number 2, June 2000 , pp. 182-188(7)

Publisher: Nevin Scrimshaw International Nutrition Foundation

Abstract:
The oil that is first obtained in harvesting the fruit of the oil palm is red because it contains carotenes, tocopherols, and tocotrienols. In the past, this fraction was separated from the palm olein and used separately. However, the presence of the palm oil tocopherol-rich fraction (TRF) is what makes red palm oil unique. Red palm oil has been shown to increase retinol levels in populations with marginal vitamin A deficiency. Red palm oil also reduces the severity of cholesterol-induced atherosclerosis in rabbits (compared with palm olein). There has been considerably more work done with TRF than with red palm oil per se. Some authors find it to be hypocholesterolaemic, whereas others do not. Many, but not all, studies show TRF to have antitumorigenic properties as well. More data concerning the health effects of red palm oil are needed.

1 Like

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by orgasticdance: 6:44pm On Oct 18, 2013
everyone dies. in 20 mins or 83 years...wont matter when u did in a gajillion years from now undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by nwaanambra1(m): 6:44pm On Oct 18, 2013
something must kill a man! undecided undecided

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 18, 2013
God has given these things to us as food. Eat whatsoever the Lord places on your table,it is blessed, no curse(sickness) can come from it.A man cursed by God can die of drinking even pure water.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cheapest peanut coating machine / What Soup Can One Make With 500 Naira? / Man Harassed By Mopol At Mega Chicken For Taking Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.