Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,239 members, 7,953,902 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:33 AM

Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? (30059 Views)

Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health / Is Orgin Really Bad? / Why Is Coke Zero Bad For You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by drnoel: 8:22pm On Oct 18, 2013
0monnakoda:
Known What is the source of this knowledge? The Bible?
Internet is ur friend
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by AbiJr: 8:27pm On Oct 18, 2013
yes palm oil causes threat to our health bt only wen takn in excess cos it contain saturated fatty acid lik palmitic& stearic acid* it cntain Vit A wich is good fr our eye*north hav high no of ppl wit blindnss cos they v no palm oil

1 Like

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by kingsleyMbang(m): 8:27pm On Oct 18, 2013
angry cheesy grin wink grin wink angry grin
eddiebruk: It is not the Natural Palm Oil, our forefathers used these same Palm Oil in their foods, and they lived Longer than our generation.
cheesy
eddiebruk: It is not the Natural Palm Oil, our forefathers used these same Palm Oil in their foods, and they lived Longer than our generation.
yea,my Grand dad feeds on palm oil daily n yet he lived for 116yrs. can u reconcile that wit ur research
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by 01mcfadden(m): 8:29pm On Oct 18, 2013
Is there any food that is not harmful in Nigeria?
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by KELVINXY: 8:30pm On Oct 18, 2013
Those research were done in a country of frozen climate & not here in Africa were sun burns like hell...

Me:Bia,kedu nwanyia...mama Emeka.!!! come abeg..
Shey na Ofe akwu we go eat 2morrow Abi?

Mama Emeka:Yes my husband

Me:eehee..!
Lolom I wan make u put am enuf Okporoko join..hehehe,cook d ofe akwu make e dey thick well well....

Leave Op n oyibo dem make dem dey blow grammar..grin
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by searay(m): 8:48pm On Oct 18, 2013
Fact, i'll reccomend this to all NLders
0monnakoda: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1836037Med J Malaysia. 1991 Mar;46(1):41-50.
Effects of palm oil on cardiovascular risk.
Chong YH, Ng TK.
Source

Palm Oil Research Institute of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
Abstract

A major public health concern of affluent nations is the excessive consumption of dietary fats which are now closely linked to coronary heart disease. Against this scenario, the tropical oils and palm oil in particular, have been cast as major villains in the U.S.A., despite the fact that palm oil consumption there is negligible. The unsuspecting public may not realise that the call to avoid palm oil is nothing more than a trade ploy since in recent years palm oil has been very competitive and has gained a major share of the world's edible oils and fats market. Many also lose sight of the fact that, palm oil, like other edible oils and fats, is an important component of the diet. The allegation that palm oil consumption leads to raised blood cholesterol levels and is therefore atherogenic is without scientific foundation. Examination of the chemical and fatty acid composition of palm oil or its liquid fraction should convince most nutritionists that the oil has little cholesterol-raising potential. The rationale for these are: it is considered cholesterol free. its major saturated fatty acid, palmitic acid (16:0) has recently been shown to be neutral in its cholesterolaemic effect, particularly in situations where the LDL receptors have not been down-regulated by dietary means or through a genetic effect. palm oil contains negligible amounts (less than 1.5%) of the hypercholesterolemic saturated fatty acids, namely lauric acid (12:0) and myristic acid (14:0). it has moderately rich amounts of the hypocholesterolaemic, monounsaturated oleic acid (18:1, omega-9) and adequate amounts of linoleic acid. (18:2, omega-6). It contains minor components such as the vitamin E tocotrienols which are not only powerful antioxidants but are also natural inhibitors of cholesterol synthesis. Feeding experiments in various animal species and humans also do not support the allegation that palm oil is atherogenic. On the contrary, palm oil consumption reduces blood cholesterol in comparison with the traditional sources of saturated fats such as coconut oil, dairy and animal fats. In addition, palm oil consumption may raise HDL levels and reduce platelet aggregability. As with all nutrients, there is a need to obtain a balance of different fatty acids found in fats in edible oils and other food sources. There is no single ideal source of fat that answers to the recent American Heart Association's call to reflect a 1:1:1 ratio of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in relation to the recommended dietary fat intake of 30% of calories or less.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS)

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by adconline(m): 8:51pm On Oct 18, 2013
0monnakoda: Cn you name a superior alternative
This is not about alternative, but the clear FACT that palm oil causes bad cholesterol -LDL to rise.
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Elmos: 8:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
Rubyventures: A couple of years back, I watched a documentary on CNN, stating that the highest rate of heart disease in the world, is in a small town called Abraka, situated in the old Bendel state. I don't know if there is anyone here is watched or heard of this documentary. After much investigation and reading, it occurred to me that the problem is from the high consumption poly saturated fats. The source which is Palm oil, which is consumed in very high quantities in the delta areas. ( Banga soup, Owo etc.)
Palm oil contains dangerous fats and should not be consumed in high quantities. After all the gruesome images in that documentary I stopped taking foods prepared with palm oil. At first it wasn't easy but I am so used to it I don't miss it.

I think Palm oil should be used for more commercial purposes: like soaps, creams etc. and internal consumption should be restricted.

As a rule of the thumb, any oil that congeals in the bottle I don't consume, I've tried getting my folks to give it up and I understand that it is impossible especially when you are used to it.

Is there any one here who thinks otherwise or has a similar experience?

What frightening people about Palm Oil is the issue of Cholesterol. There two types of Cholesterol, good and bad Cholesterol (LDL and HDL). Cholesterol is a type of fat found in human body. The total cholesterol includes LDL (low-density lipoprotein) and HDL (High-density Lipoprotein) cholesterol.
LDL is called “bad” cholesterol because it can build up in the walls of one’s arteries and form plaque. Plaque build-up in the arteries can reduce blood flow and increase ones risk of heart disease.
HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol is also known as good cholesterol because it is thought to help remove bad cholesterol from the body.
Nevertheless, research has shown that PALM OIL does not contained the bad Cholesterol.
Palm oil is produced from the fruit of the Elaeis guineensis. It is a vegetable oil, not an animal or dairy product, and therefore does not contain cholesterol. Palm oil sometimes is confused with palm kernel oil, but in fact is different, being derived from the mesocarp of the palm fruit rather than the centre kernel.

Palm oil contains much less saturated fat than palm kernel oil or coconut oil. Palm oil has been used in food preparation for over 5,000 years. Today it is consumed worldwide as a cooking oil, in margarines and shortening, and as an ingredient in fat blends and a vast array of food products. Food manufacturers choose palm oil because it has a distinctive quality, requires little or no hydrogenation, and lengthens the shelf life of products. These advantages are difficult to duplicate at the same cost with polyunsaturated oils, which often have higher market prices and require additional processing for the same characteristics.

Even though palm oil consists of about 45% - 50% saturated fatty acid, the saturated fatty acid is made up of palmitic saturated fatty acid. Palm oil should be classified as both a “saturated fat” and an “unsaturated fat”. It contains equal proportions of saturated fatty acids and unsaturated fatty acids. The saturated fatty acids are made up of 44% palmitic acid and 5% stearic acid. The unsaturated fatty acids consist of 39% oleic acid (monounsaturates) and 10% linoleic acid (polyunsaturates). The fatty acid composition in palm oil is entirely different from the so-called “saturated fats” such as coconut oil and palm kernel oil.
In addition, palm oil is non-genetically modified and trans-fat free. It does not need to go through the hydrogenation process. In comparison, most vegetable oils (corn oil, soy oil, cottonseed oil, canola oil, etc) require hydrogenation – “hardening of oils”. The “hardening” of oils through hydrogenation creates trans-fatty acid. Trans-fatty acid has been shown to lower good cholesterol and raise the bad cholesterol. In fact, the cholesterol-raising effect of trans-fatty acid is significantly higher than saturated fatty acid. Because of this fact, it has prompted the FDA to require food manufacturers to list trans-fatty acid content on food labels soon.

The saturated fatty acids that have been shown through various epidemiological studies, to increase bad LDL cholesterol level are the C12 Lauric and C14 Myristic saturated fatty acid. These two saturated fatty acid are abundantly found in coconut oil and palm kernel oil. Unfortunately, more often than not, palm oil has been confused with palm kernel oil. Palm oil is derived from the fleshy part of the palm fruits while palm kernel oil is derived from the seed or the kernel. Palm kernel oil and palm oil are two different oils with very distinct fatty acid composition.

Palm kernel oil is used mainly in oleochemical (detergent/surfactant) industry and not as an edible or cooking oil. Palm oil, on the other hand, is used worldwide (more than 100 countries) for cooking and other food preparations. Palm oil is currently the number two edible oil in the world.

Bola Fisayo

4 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by bluemike: 9:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
Did You Know…
that red palm oil is healthier than olive oil and coconut oil and has been proven to reverse the symptoms of heart disease and protect against certain cancers? Move over olive and coconut—there’s a new oil in town proven even more effective at cutting the risk of heart disease and degenerative illnesses: red palm oil.

Red palm oil has been celebrated as a healing tonic among ancient civilizations, but has been overlooked by modern health practitioners due to its mistaken similarities to palm kernel oil. Both palm kernel and red palm oil originate from the oil palm Elaeis guineesis. But palm kernel oil is derived from the seed, while red palm oil is extracted from the fruit. Recent research suggests that the two aren’t as alike as previously thought, as red palm oil has shown superior health benefits to not only palm kernel oil, but to virtually every other edible oil on the planet! In fact, Dr. Oz claims, “none compare to the powerful nutritional virtues of red palm oil.” A Nutritional Powerhouse

Rich in phytonutrients, red palm oil owes the majority of its antioxidant super powers to its high concentration of carotenes and tocotrienols. You’ve probably heard about carotenes such as lycopene and beta-carotene, which lend the bright red and orange hues—and powerful health benefits—to tomatoes and carrots. Red palm oil contains significantly more potent levels of these phytonutrients.

Tocotrienols are a superior form of vitamin E (40 to 60 times more powerful than tocopherols) that control free radicals and inflammation (the primary cause of heart disease). Tocotrienols are also powerful anti-cancer agents that help ward off cancers of the skin, stomach, pancreas, liver, lung, colon, prostate and breast.

Over 700 published studies have shown that tocotrienols have an unprecedented number of health benefits when combined with the other super nutrients in red palm oil, which include:

a unique complex of phytosterols
plant squalene
co-enzyme Q10
carotenes

Unprecedented Health Benefits

Red palm oil is an overall immune system tonic that improves liver detoxification and can help treat non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NFLAD). It protects against osteoporosis and arthritis. Both tocotrienols and mixed carotenes naturally accumulate in the outermost layer of the epidermis, thereby shielding hair and skin from harmful ultraviolet rays.

However, the most well-documented and scientifically validated nutritional benefit of red palm oil relates to heart health. Even though red palm oil is high in saturated fat, it actually helps prevent and reverse heart disease. Studies have shown that the oil breaks down plague buildup in the arteries and prevents blockages from forming.

Red palm oil is a potent natural anti-inflammatory, and as such helps to prevent inflammation in the artery lining. Science has now confirmed that inflammation in the arterial linings is the major cause of cholesterol buildup! Red palm oil naturally improves cholesterol and lowers high blood pressure.

A study funded by the National Institutes of Health found that red palm oil reduces your risk of stroke by 50% due to its protective effects on brain cells. The super vitamin E in red palm oil stimulates blood flow to the brain and also defends against Alzheimer’s disease and dementia!

http://gethopemagazine.com/index.php/health/item/31-the-health-benefits-of-red-palm-oil

http://www.justpotent.com/pure-red-palm-oil

1 Like

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by tayus: 9:05pm On Oct 18, 2013
eat more of vegetable. it reduce the accumulatn of fat frm oil in d body
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Ndkings1(m): 9:11pm On Oct 18, 2013
Ah no fit believe dis one oh!
If we stop usin palm oil Wetin we go dy use cook soup?
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by njuwo(m): 9:21pm On Oct 18, 2013
Rubyventures: A couple of years back, I watched a documentary on CNN, stating that the highest rate of heart disease in the world, is in a small town called Abraka, situated in the old Bendel state. I don't know if there is anyone here is watched or heard of this documentary. After much investigation and reading, it occurred to me that the problem is from the high consumption poly saturated fats. The source which is Palm oil, which is consumed in very high quantities in the delta areas. ( Banga soup, Owo etc.)
Palm oil contains dangerous fats and should not be consumed in high quantities. After all the gruesome images in that documentary I stopped taking foods prepared with palm oil. At first it wasn't easy but I am so used to it I don't miss it.

I think Palm oil should be used for more commercial purposes: like soaps, creams etc. and internal consumption should be restricted.

As a rule of the thumb, any oil that congeals in the bottle I don't consume, I've tried getting my folks to give it up and I understand that it is impossible especially when you are used to it.

Is there any one here who thinks otherwise or has a similar experience?
Na u sabi
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Layolaw(f): 9:32pm On Oct 18, 2013
so what should be taking now apart from epo pupa
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by EMMABC1(m): 9:48pm On Oct 18, 2013
The best and healthy cooking oil are olive oil and soy oil from soya plant. If u can afford them, then go for them. If you can't, then u have to use both palmoil and vegetable oil in moderation. Palm oil though from plant source, is one of the rare plant- source oils that have highly polysaturated fatty acid that can form bad cholesterol in the body. The bad cholesterol forms a plague on the blood vessels which build up blood pressure and cause heart disease.
However, palmoil is a good source of tocopherol and vitamin E which are powerful antioxidants that scavenge free radicals in the body. Free radicals released as a result of stress, eating junk and over-fried food cause cancer and make us age faster
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by eluquenson(m): 9:56pm On Oct 18, 2013
Palm oil or not, there always pros & cons, moderate intake is what is advisable.
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by kennygreat(m): 10:20pm On Oct 18, 2013
[color=#990000][/color] pls let's nt be misinformed, palm oil is one of d bst oils we hv, it is 2nd to olive oil. Very rich in vitamines nd carotines, jst lyk oda consumable stuffs, culd b harmful in excess consuption.
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by bobby7me(m): 10:21pm On Oct 18, 2013
I bet you don't know how to cook or you are too fat.
Palm oil kor, water ni.
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by ugochukwu360(m): 10:42pm On Oct 18, 2013
Hmmmm oyibo nd deir manafiki, anything wey man dey tk hold body nd soul 2geda dem go com wit deir yeye research tk spoilam, if we no shun dis deir research wey dem dey do we go wake up one day only 4 dem to tel us say to face front waka dey lead 2 paralysis say na 2 face bck beta pass.
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by 0monnakoda: 1:16am On Oct 19, 2013
adconline:
This is not about alternative, but the clear FACT that palm oil causes bad cholesterol -LDL to rise.
Of course it is about alternative. It we take it as a given that humans MUST consume oil and we are told that some oils are harmful we must ask which oils are safe.
Have you got any studies that demonstrate that palm oi causes LDL to risel. Please share this with me. By the way the binary of "good" and "bad" cholesterol is a misnomer. Like any other nutrient into the human body moderation and balance is key. Much of what has been written about Palm oil is not based on direct studies and ignores a key concept; BIOAVAILABILITY. The fact that a food contains something does not tell us whether if we consume it we absorb it at all of t what extent. So if you are aware of any studies that outline the dietary intake of palm oil in grammes daily ,over what period and the pre nd post study measurement of so called "bad cholesterol" share it here.
The other thing to bear in mind is the relationship between cholesterol ,atheroma and heart disease is complex. There is an "associative" not a "causative" relationship. Other variables come into play and these are not fully understood today. Many people with so called good diets have high cholesterol levels and vice versa.
Palm oil is very good especially when FRESH
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by 0monnakoda: 1:52am On Oct 19, 2013
At the person who said he does not eat congealed oil . The truth is oils that are artificially hardened by hydrogenation are used in the food industry in foods like biscuits,bread,cakes and pastries almost always. People eatig these food rarely think they are eating fat but they are. Refined and deodorized to enhance palatability these fats are ubiquitous. Palm oil is natural and in my view safer than butter or lard which are widely used in baking. The other thing is interest groups promote and champion research that favours them.

2 Likes

Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by SITogira: 3:40am On Oct 19, 2013
Hmmm! Later den go say taking too much of water is bad for our health.
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by eaglechild: 6:49am On Oct 19, 2013
0monnakoda: At the person who said he does not eat congealed oil . The truth is oils that are artificially hardened by hydrogenation are used in the food industry in foods like biscuits,bread,cakes and pastries almost always. People eatig these food rarely think they are eating fat but they are. Refined and deodorized to enhance palatability these fats are ubiquitous. Palm oil is natural and in my view safer than butter or lard which are widely used in baking. The other thing is interest groups promote and champion research that favours them.
Correct.
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by emiye(m): 7:20am On Oct 19, 2013
Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy.>>> Paracelsus , the father of toxicology.
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Corona99(m): 7:34am On Oct 19, 2013
Xo waht shud we use 2 prepare,,Egusi soup, okro n ogbono soup, even yam porriage,,,,? Vegetable oil?? Nat evn a lunatic cn taste daht,,
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 19, 2013
chinedu samson: As a rule of the thumb, any oil that congeals in the bottle I don't consume,

Do you eat butter ?

At post, just eat averagely. Not too much.
I always go down with hot cup of tea without milk after the days meals, help in cleansing the system. Washes down all congealed fats and aids digestion.
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 19, 2013
0monnakoda: At the person who said he does not eat congealed oil . The truth is oils that are artificially hardened by hydrogenation are used in the food industry in foods like biscuits,bread,cakes and pastries almost always. People eatig these food rarely think they are eating fat but they are. Refined and deodorized to enhance palatability these fats are ubiquitous. Palm oil is natural and in my view safer than butter or lard which are widely used in baking. The other thing is interest groups promote and champion research that favours them.

Thanks to this. Didn't see this before my comment smiley
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by passion007: 8:30am On Oct 19, 2013
The arguments are supported by "facts" on both sides.
The US report would likely mask their vested interest, as would the Malaysia report. Both countries have a lot at stake if the world is convinced to dis/continue palm oil.

Where is the Nigerian report? Please provide a link to one.
We have food scientists, clinical dietitians, nutritionists and physicians.
Their honest take on this should be all that matters.
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Rubyventures: 8:31am On Oct 19, 2013
I never said people should stop taking palm oil as such, i was talking from my personal experience. After watching the documentary, i decided to change my eating habit knowing what i now know. i do not cook with palm oil. I now use olive oil, sun flower oil,canola oil sesame seed oil. Etc.

I spoke about these regions where it is eaten in excess. It even made me think back to university days and i made a list of friends i know whom their parents died during that period of heart disease and most of them where from the delta region.

Most people said that their forefathers have eaten this for years and lived long. That is true, but they spent long hours on the farm and did physical labour till their last days. They didn't spend it sat in front of the computer or video games, or sat in the car for long hours. They had long walks to get from one place to another.

Our life styles have changed so much, i think we should change our eating habits to suit our live styles.

And PLEASE, i didn't say you should stop eating palm oil. grin
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 19, 2013
passion007: The arguments are supported by "facts" on both sides.
The US report would likely mask their vested interest, as would the Malaysia report. Both countries have a lot at stake if the world is convinced to dis/continue palm oil.

Nigerian reports? we go with Malaysia cheesy. We both share the same problem
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by ewosk: 9:29am On Oct 19, 2013
*story story* humans like putting constraints to living...i kno people from that region and i av not heard of a heart related death in my life...hmm...Grandma heading for century mark and she takes in 'oil palm meal daily' ...'owo' on point. Oshare biko kome ölé..
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by 0monnakoda: 10:17am On Oct 19, 2013
passion007: The arguments are supported by "facts" on both sides.

You are right the truth is somewhere in between.If you eat moderate amounts of palm oil I think i is fine and in my view better than margarine,butter ,ghee or lard. The other thing is freshness. If you live abroad you could be using oil a few years old. I guess this is not the best but perhaps research is needed.
Anyway our diet in Nigeria is generally not based on fried foods and so we are more likely to use palm oil in Yam Pottage,Beans and Soups.
Re: Is Palm Oil Really Bad For Your Health? by drealdoc89(m): 11:18am On Oct 19, 2013
temisukanmi: Wetin we no go hear!! Thought vegetable oil was bad, now its palm oil.. All dis stop dis, stop dat stuff is getting out ☀̤̣̈̇f hand. I once read dat palm oil is gud for the eyes..
i don tire too!
today:dont eat beef, tomorrow: dont eat chicken, another day: dont eat fried tins.....et al.
*sighs*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cheapest peanut coating machine / What Soup Can One Make With 500 Naira? / Man Harassed By Mopol At Mega Chicken For Taking Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.