Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,657 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Civil War Did Not End Slavery - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Civil War Did Not End Slavery (1276 Views)

The Resentment between Blacks and West Africans over Slavery / 10 Things Most Nigerians Do Not Know About Slavery / The Hidden History Of White Slavery! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Civil War Did Not End Slavery by girl22(f): 8:03pm On Jul 05, 2008
I have been researching and what I found is that slavery ended because white people were in fear of their lives because there were too many slave rebellions happening and the whites were in fear of their lives.

The Civil War was about the Union.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by manmustwac(m): 8:31pm On Jul 05, 2008
The South wanted to secede from the North coz the North wanted to abolish Slavery. So the American Civil war was fought eventually the South lost the war and slavery was abolished
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by NegroNtns(m): 8:35pm On Jul 05, 2008
Girl,  

Your post is missing a lot of points to generate conscious feedback to the topic.  Trust me, its a nice topic and I will contribute to it.  Take a moment to step back and review your points.  Heres few hints:

Civil war - civil war where?   In Nigeria or in USA?
Slavery - from which angle?  From the black perspective, and which black?
Union - whose union?   Nigerian or USA?
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by girl22(f): 8:36pm On Jul 05, 2008
that's the lie they told.

slave revolts stopped slavert. when lincoln signed the emacipation pf proclamation very few slaves were freed. majority opf the slaves were still enslaved.

africans need to stop believeing that bulls%^t.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by girl22(f): 8:38pm On Jul 05, 2008
anothe lie the slaves were in the north also.

just like napolean was defeated before he went to russia. but they dont write about it because they were people of color.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by manmustwac(m): 8:49pm On Jul 05, 2008
girl22:

that's the lie they told.

slave revolts stopped slavert. when lincoln signed the emacipation pf proclamation very few slaves were freed. majority opf the slaves were still enslaved.

africans need to stop believeing that bulls%^t.
when president lincoln signed the proclamation in January 1st 1963 he declared all slaves in the rebellious Southern slave states to freed men but actually in reality they wouldn't be free for at least another two years because the American Civil War was not over until April 1865
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by manmustwac(m): 8:52pm On Jul 05, 2008
@post
can u please tell me what the American Civil War has got to do with Nairaland? This is a Nigerian Forum remember?
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by shuppie(f): 8:53pm On Jul 05, 2008
i was wondering too, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by girl22(f): 9:01pm On Jul 05, 2008
when president lincoln signed the proclamation in January 1st 1963 he declared all slaves in the rebellious slave states to freed men but actually in reality they wouldn't be free for at least another two years because the American Civil War was not over yet.

no. black people were still enslaved after the civil war. i am going to post info on it.

they had to revolt to be free.

Lincoln himself used to return escaped slaves beack to their masters.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by NegroNtns(m): 10:37pm On Jul 05, 2008
Polaris,

True. In NL, on culture forum, not everyone in here is in USA or know about the subject of civil war, union and slavery in USA. So do you not think it helps to elaborate and give scope to her subject, particluarly when she claimed that she had researched on the subject. If her intention is to limit the discussion to USA residents, then no qualms. cool
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by NegroNtns(m): 10:41pm On Jul 05, 2008
manmustwac/Shuppie,

I believe the lady is trying to educate on something, as well as share insight on the atrocities of slavery. I have a clue where she is leading but she just need to gather the thoughts together.

Look, how many of us before leaving Nigeria knew about US slavery and civil war and MLK and all that civil rights stuff? NONE!!!. For those Nigerians and Africans still leaving in the continent and hoping one day to go to US, we need to lead their enlightenement and help them to understand the culture and background of the people they will be interacting with in USA. In a truthful way, not sugar coated with material things and hip-hop and rap.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by lazy(m): 5:16am On Jul 08, 2008
girl22:

when president lincoln signed the proclamation in January 1st 1963 he declared all slaves in the rebellious slave states to freed men but actually in reality they wouldn't be free for at least another two years because the American Civil War was not over yet.

no. black people were still enslaved after the civil war. i am going to post info on it.

they had to revolt to be free.

Lincoln himself used to return escaped slaves beack to their masters.

If you have more information, please post it. It seems your post are not complete with all the information you want to convey, so it is hard to understand your points.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by girl22(f): 1:35am On Jul 09, 2008
the civil war was about the union. the states that were apart fo the union wanted the independent states to join the american union. abraham lincoln was pro slavery not an abolitionist. slavery was actually stilll praticed up until the 1890's. so we could not have been freed by lincoln,the thirteenth amendment,emancipation of proclomation or the civil war.

the emancipation of proclamation said that states not in the union had to stop practicing slavery. not the states that were in the union. the union won the war instead of the independent states. some people still refused to free their slaves.

slaves freed themselves by revolting,forming militias,poisoning their masters,burning the down plantations or escaping.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by lazy(m): 1:45am On Jul 09, 2008
girl22:

the civil war was about the union. the states that were apart fo the union wanted the independent states to join the american union. abraham lincoln was pro slavery not an abolitionist. slavery was actually stilll praticed up until the 1890's. so we could not have been freed by lincoln,the thirteenth amendment,emancipation of proclomation or the civil war.

slaves freed themselves by revolting,forming militias,poisoning their masters,burning the down plantations or escaping.

I am inclined to agree with you that the US Civil War was about preserving the Union and that the enslaved Africans freed themselves because enslaving people became too much of a hassle to deal with. The Haitian Revolution was the turning point for ending African enslavement in the Western Hemisphere and the rest came falling down afterward.

With all that being said, is there a discussion you are trying to have, Debate something, or just make a statement?
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by girl22(f): 4:10am On Jul 09, 2008
just making a statement. i like sharing info i find out.

the emcancipation of proclamation freed little if any slaves.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by NegroNtns(m): 8:41am On Jul 09, 2008
Well, thanks for bringing us the information. If a discussion were opened on the subject of slavery would you be interested in participating?

Are you Nigerian or African-American?
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by lazy(m): 2:40pm On Jul 09, 2008
@Negro_Ntns

I know the last statement wasn't for me but I would participate. Are there any specific aspects that you want to discuss?

For instance, did you want to talk about Resistance in terms of Active(Rebellions and Revolts in the Western Hemisphere or Wars on the African Continent) or Passive (Self Mutilations, Suicide, Wall erected on the African Continent to protect their people)?

Did you want to get into the beginnings and how it started?

Did you want to get into the aftermath?
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by manmustwac(m): 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2008
@gril22

The American Civil War was fought to end slavery and keep the United States together. Most of the blacks in the U.S.A at the time were living in the deep South and were slaves. After the war they were all freed. Its only in the West Indies that slaves fought for their freedom not America ok
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by lazy(m): 6:04pm On Jul 09, 2008
manmustwac:

@gril22

The American Civil War was fought to end slavery and keep the United States together. Most of the blacks in the USA at the time were living in the deep South and were slaves. After the war they were all freed. Its only in the West Indies that slaves fought for their freedom not America ok

This is half true.

1) The US Civil War was not to free enslaved Africans but to keep the Union together. Slavery was a by product and that is all.

Abraham Lincoln quote:

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

2) The only Successful Slave Rebellion was in Haiti. Other Slave Revolts and Rebellions happened everywhere in the States, Jamaica, Brazil, etc, but they were only somewhat successful or not at all. Some allow a few to live free in Maroon communities while others were squashed by the European Power.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by girl22(f): 1:55am On Jul 10, 2008
gril22

The American Civil War was fought to end slavery and keep the United States together. Most of the blacks in the USA at the time were living in the deep South and were slaves. After the war they were all freed. Its only in the West Indies that slaves fought for their freedom not America ok

all of the slaves were not freed. only a couple of thousand. slavery was still practiced up until the 1890's.
the slaves were only freed in the rebellion states.

there were 700 slave revolts a year in america. so how did we not fight to free ourselves.

burning down plantations,murdering,poisoning your masters, escaping sound like fighting to me.

reasearch the topic then come back and talk to me.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by girl22(f): 1:59am On Jul 10, 2008
that it also a myth that revolts didnt wasn't successful.

the slaves in jamaica freed themselves not britain.

that is what i am sayig do research.

not read flawed european bullshit they teach you in school.

the iroqouis indians inveted a democracy government. not jefferson,benjamain franklin,.

they styled their government after them.

history is really HIS STORY.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by lazy(m): 2:29am On Jul 10, 2008
girl22:

that it also a myth that revolts didnt wasn't successful.

No one said that revolts weren't successful and the resistance that Africans gave Europeans is the reason that African Enslavement in the Western Hemisphere ended. However, we need to be technically accurate when stating things. Some revolts were more successive than others. Obviously, Haiti is the most successful and the only one where the entire country (even more because they controlled the whole island of Hispaniola) was freed from that action.

girl22:

the slaves in jamaica freed themselves not britain.

Ultimately you are correct but the way you state things are sometimes hard to understand. Yes, we all know that there were free Maroon communities led by Queen Nanny in Jamaica and that they successfully fought the British. However, they were not able to free the entire country.

girl22:

that is what i am sayig do research.

What research have you done? I would love to read whatever books or materials you are looking at. I enjoy learning more.

girl22:

not read flawed european bullshit they teach you in school.

There is no need to talk negative about Europeans. The facts will speak for themselves.

girl22:

the iroqouis indians inveted a democracy government. not jefferson,benjamain franklin,.
they styled their government after them.
history is really HIS STORY.

No one credits Ben Franklin or Thomas Jefferson for inventing Democracy. It is usually credited to Ancient Greece from a historical stand point. You are correct that the Iroquois had an influence on the creation of the democracy in the United States but that is not what you statement above says. You are saying Democracy in general and you might be right but I would like to see your documentation.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by girl22(f): 2:54am On Jul 10, 2008
american negor slave revolt

slavery by another name

are two books

you can google. slave revolts, lincoln, civil war did not end slavery.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by lazy(m): 2:56am On Jul 10, 2008
girl22:

american negor slave revolt

slavery by another name

are two books

you can google. slave revolts, lincoln, civil war did not end slavery.

Cool.

Like I said before, your gist is correct but many things are technically inaccurate. That is what makes your statements incorrect.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by girl22(f): 3:06am On Jul 10, 2008
how are my statement inaccurate?

i already said the civil war didn't free all slaves.

only some, very few.

the majority freed themselves.

there were approximately 700 slave revolts annually.
Re: Civil War Did Not End Slavery by lazy(m): 3:10am On Jul 10, 2008
girl22:

how are my statement inaccurate?

i already said the civil war didn't free all slaves.

only some, very few.

the majority freed themselves.

there were approximately 700 slave revolts annually.

I already showed you the technical inaccuracy of you statements when I responded to you post. I will repost my responses below:

lazy:

No one said that revolts weren't successful and the resistance that Africans gave Europeans is the reason that African Enslavement in the Western Hemisphere ended. However, we need to be technically accurate when stating things. Some revolts were more successive than others. Obviously, Haiti is the most successful and the only one where the entire country (even more because they controlled the whole island of Hispaniola) was freed from that action.

Ultimately you are correct but the way you state things are sometimes hard to understand. Yes, we all know that there were free Maroon communities led by Queen Nanny in Jamaica and that they successfully fought the British. However, they were not able to free the entire country.

What research have you done? I would love to read whatever books or materials you are looking at. I enjoy learning more.

There is no need to talk negative about Europeans. The facts will speak for themselves.

No one credits Ben Franklin or Thomas Jefferson for inventing Democracy. It is usually credited to Ancient Greece from a historical stand point. You are correct that the Iroquois had an influence on the creation of the democracy in the United States but that is not what you statement above says. You are saying Democracy in general and you might be right but I would like to see your documentation.

(1) (Reply)

I am not mixed and I steal pics on the net / Why Africa/ Nigeria Deserves To Be Exploited And Plundered / Ooni Of Ife's Sister Confirms Her Brother's Forthcoming Marriage To Wuraola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.