Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Thank God For Unanswered Prayers - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Thank God For Unanswered Prayers (717 Views)

Could Your Husband Be The Reason For Unanswered Prayers? / Could Your Wife Be The Reason For Unanswered Prayers? / Reason's For Unanswered Prayers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thank God For Unanswered Prayers by infonubia(m): 11:51pm On Oct 18, 2013
This article was written by an iNubian. Please read with an open mind and be sure to leave your comments.

In my 3rd year of College I was vying for a highly coveted internship at a fortune 500 company. I had the grades and work experience that I believed set me apart from my other class mates who were also applying for it. I prayed long, hard and persistently, doing everything right on my part but I did not get the position.

I was upset for a while, thinking maybe I didn't get it because I was female, black and did not have the necessary 'connections'. I was so disappointed that God had not answered my prayers, I mean what happened to the scripture that says we should ask and we shall receive?

A few months later, I randomly stumbled upon another opportunity at another big-name corporation, applied and got it without much of a sweat. It wasn't until then I realized what God had done for me by not answering my prayers for the first internship.

The first internship was a 40 minute drive away from home, an hour from school and my other part-time job, it wasn't a paid internship, and the recruiter stressed it would be a ton of work for little to no credit except the actual work experience. Being able to put their name on your resume is the real 'payment'. Anyways, the second opportunity was within walking distance to my home and job and they paid me almost triple what I was making at my part-time job.

From the first day, my boss (a wonderful person who would become an influence in my life) scheduled work time so it was completely convenient for me. And if that wasn't enough, she made sure I got course credit for the internship, meaning it would be used towards school requirement for graduation (this is is equivalent of an entire class for an entire semester!). The internship would eventually become the springboard on which I have done so much since.

And ever since then, when I pray hard, fast long and wait on God for something and it doesn't come to pass, I simply remember the time...and my heart is at peace.

We do not have the luxury of omniscience, to see what God sees and to be able to calculate how potential events will echo through the rest of our lives. All we want often is instant gratification which may not fit His long-term will for us. So we must trust that His plans for us are good (and they are!) - good according to His definition of good - not ours.

When the bible says in 1 Thess 5:18 to "give thanks in ALL circumstances", there is such a depth of wisdom and power in that verse that we in our human limitations cannot begin to fathom. What we know and are aware of is infinitely inferior to what God knows about us, and about how our lives will intertwine with others, all within His great master plan.

I concede sometimes we may or may never know why certain prayers were never answered and it is a tricky and delicate matter negotiating such questions. Consider a tow truck driver, his prayers would be for more business, providing money to feed his family - which means he is essentially praying for someones car to break down. Someones car breaking down is never a good thing right? or is that true? Think about that, and think about how the meaning of 'good' can be relative and how our prayers affect not only our lives but many around us.

So we must draw a wider circle around ourselves, and realize that our lives overlap others in ways we can never fully know. For all I know, not getting that first internship was simply God answering someone else's prayers who needed that position in a way that was not suited for me.

Ever seen the movie 'Bruce Almighty'? It is good food for thought on the unintended consequences of answered prayers. If God answered the prayers of everyone on earth, it may not be the utopia many of us expect.

Above all, let us stand firm in Phil 4:7 and simply let the peace of God which transcends all understanding to keep our hearts at rest, as we trust in the unwavering goodness of God. So friend, the next time God does not answer your prayers, be sure to thank Him for that.

Have you ever been in situations where it seem like God isn't listening? How did you handle it and what was the outcome?

Share your thoughts.

2 Likes

Re: Thank God For Unanswered Prayers by Alwaystrue(f): 9:20am On Oct 19, 2013
cheesy @OP,
Thanks for this beautiful message. I saw this message and smiled. It is deep.
I can so relate with this message. Have we desired something so much that we later thank God for not answering because we might have botched the gift if He had answered earlier due to poor understanding or non-readiness or because He gave us much better and you start laughing in better understanding because you know He gave you exceedingly abundantly above your expectation and Infact we were the ones that were unrighteous or asked for too little? I have lots of such cases.
Yes I thank God for the 'seemingly' unanswered prayers because He does answer but atimes it is not in line with our expectations.

It may have been planned for evil but God plans it for good...Genesis 50:20 for He makes all things beautiful in its time...Eccl.3:11; because ALL things work together for good to us that love God, to us who are the called according to his purpose....Romans 8:28 and all this is for HIM to be GLORIFIED...John 14:13. Amen.

Thank you Lord!

2 Likes

Re: Thank God For Unanswered Prayers by tpia5: 9:40am On Oct 19, 2013
What we want is different from what we need.
Re: Thank God For Unanswered Prayers by infonubia(m): 12:50pm On Oct 19, 2013
Alwaystrue: cheesy @OP,
Thanks for this beautiful message. I saw this message and smiled. It is deep.
I can so relate with this message. Have we desired something so much that we later thank God for not answering because we might have botched the gift if He had answered earlier due to poor understanding or non-readiness or because He gave us much better and you start laughing in better understanding because you know He gave you exceedingly abundantly above your expectation and Infact we were the ones that were unrighteous or asked for too little? I have lots of such cases.
Yes I thank God for the 'seemingly' unanswered prayers because He does answer but atimes it is not in line with our expectations.

It may have been planned for evil but God plans it for good...Genesis 50:20 for He makes all things beautiful in its time...Eccl.3:11; because ALL things work together for good to us that love God, to us who are the called according to his purpose....Romans 8:28 and all this is for HIM to be GLORIFIED...John 14:13. Amen.

Thank you Lord!

Thanks for the overwhelmingly encouraging response.

While I didn't write the article, I can definitely relate with it. It isn't just in complex situations, it is experienced even in matters as simple as missing a flight. I remember there was a time i desperately needed a car and I didn't have enough money so I opted to get a loan. I prayed about it and at the time I believed that was the best route. somehow, a simple loan process got so complicated and the banks tried to stick me with a high interest rate. I got so uncomfortable and backed out. I wasn't happy with the whole situation but I eventually settled to buy a cheaper car with the money I saved up. Looking back now, I thank God for the wisdom to back out of the loan cos I'd be saddled with paying notes on a car I wanted out of desperation.

Thanks again for your comment. Much appreciated!
Re: Thank God For Unanswered Prayers by infonubia(m): 12:52pm On Oct 19, 2013
tpia@:
What we want is different from what we need.
That's right. Sometimes it's good to have what we want and not just our needs.

(1) (Reply)

Keep Off From Weave-ons And Artificial Hair(non-biblical)----doctor / The 10 Very Best Zen Stories / ‘I Don’t Believe In Heaven Or Hell’-former Gospel singer,katy Perry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.