Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System (30031 Views)

Twitter Replaces "Favorites" Button With Heart "Likes" Button. / Man Given Eight-inch Bionic Penis After Losing Use Of Genitals In An Accident / First Fully Bionic Man Walks, Talks And Breathes(watch VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Edibaby: 9:46pm On Oct 21, 2013
No matter wot dey do,dyey cant giv life to 'frank' God is omniscience!
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Blakjewelry(m): 9:48pm On Oct 21, 2013
I guess its just for display purpose, if not the issue of clonning a man is no longer a problem.
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by ceejayluv(m): 9:55pm On Oct 21, 2013
olu_kenzo :

Bionic:

Human having mechanical/electrical parts that compliment or work intandem with organic body parts, usually conferring superhuman abilities. i.e It has to have living parts, it has to be human but with mechanical parts that function like and aid the organic parts....

Android:

A Robot that looks and behaves like a human being. i.e it is completely of mechanical parts which have shapes and functions of human body parts...

These definitions makes nonsense of "Frank", at least in the bionic sense. I feel insulted by the attempt at semantic manipulation by the scientists. I won't buy such a lie for a kobo!
You have a valid point there.... Let's just say "Frank" is an Android with bionic body parts.... No less a million dollar marvel.
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by joe4christ(m): 10:01pm On Oct 21, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
I need two of these before Christmas.

Boys for my side dey form flousing with iPhone 5, galaxy s4, even techno. Dem dey form checking weather, even though rain never fall since.

Just wait till I show up with my i-Man, shut the whole block down.

"I-man bia, biko, go bring my small stout from the fridge."

You really got me laughing hard here!
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Prymestrr(m): 10:08pm On Oct 21, 2013
eightsin: Una try bt wats d aim of dis project? Wats d benefit to d economy n d human race at large.
THANK U VERY MUCH my bro. Finally, som1 had 2 ask d ryt question.
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Godswillix(m): 10:13pm On Oct 21, 2013
this is terminator 4 human destroyer..ETT.end time is hear the kingdom of God is at hand..:/
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by trolling(m): 10:22pm On Oct 21, 2013
those robots gat something for you humans,it might seem like a joke now but they wont be joking then....the wicked elite are desensitizing you to the mark of the beast
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Charlidinho(m): 10:38pm On Oct 21, 2013
What does he it need a circulatory system for?
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Humble12: 10:57pm On Oct 21, 2013
One day this frank wire connection fit touch or cut and e go spoil something.abeg mak una dey carful wity challenging GOD in d nam of makin d world a beta place.
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by ToyinDipo(m): 12:19am On Oct 22, 2013
infonubia: [img]http://2.bp..com/-CYa3YH5dw00/UmHpI-1wR_I/AAAAAAAACYM/aZm9-jSA1W0/s640/rroboy.jpg[/img]

Meet Frank, a robot made of prosthetic limbs and body parts. He has a beating heart and complete circulatory system. He's the world's first full Bionic Man to be introduced at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum at Washington, D.C.

It's not fake. He's real...and he's the first! Frank, the 'bionic man' is 6 feet and weighs 170 lbs. His face is made of synthetic parts and modeled after Bertolt Meyer, a social psychologists from the University of Zurich in Switzerland. Meyer thought it was awkward when he first saw his replica. Meyer will also be hosting the documentary created to show the making of Frank and shed insight on the bionic man.

Frank's voice is similar to Siri on an Apple iPhone, and his personality is programmed to mimic a 13-year-old Ukrainian boy. This robot cost a whopping $1 million. Not bad at all, in comparison to many expensive projects that scientists attempt which eats up taxpayers' money. Frank has over 2/3rd of the human body. He has an artificial heart, a programmed, legs, pancreas, head, see-through chest, and some body parts you probably didn't know existed. These artificial organs were actually donated from laboratories around the world. So, it's a joint effort of several global scientists.

Frank, however, does not have a liver, stomach, and intestines because they are too complicated to generate in a lab. Frank's assembly took 3 months and was directed by roboticists Rich Walker and Matthew Godden of Shadow Robot Co. in England. This is a ground-breaking scientific development. Scientist and roboticists never cease to amaze me.

I don't know if Frank is worth the cost of a flight to Washington. Nevertheless, I'm willing to check out the documentary premiering on October 20. I'm interested in knowing how these scientists replicated Frank's prosthetic body parts.

The creation of this bionic man raises some ethical questions: "Does creating something so life-like threaten notions of what it means to be human? What amount of body enhancement should be allowed or acceptable? And is it wrong that only some people have access to these life-extending technologies?

http://www.livescience.com/40535-show-unveils-worlds-first-bionic-man.html
http://www.infonubia.com/2013/10/the-worlds-first-robotic-man-with-heart.html
What's the name of the game? But seriously human personalty must be difficult to program that they had to give it personalty of a 13 year old boy. Intelligence is probably easier to mimic than personalty like in deep blue chess computer. Africans are struggling with algorithms, see what these white evils are doing with heuristics.
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by trolling(m): 4:48am On Oct 22, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
I need two of these before Christmas.

Boys for my side dey form flousing with iPhone 5, galaxy s4, even techno. Dem dey form checking weather, even though rain never fall since.

Just wait till I show up with my i-Man, shut the whole block down.

"I-man bia, biko, go bring my small stout from the fridge."
I-Man: Go get it yourself, I'm no more taking orders from humans and evacuate this building before I...
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by MeAndYou(m): 5:18am On Oct 22, 2013
What a ground breaking discovery
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by ofisa247(m): 6:09am On Oct 22, 2013
Hmmm, Humans! Just wait and observe. In some years to come (when many of these things would have been created), the 'elites' will definitely reprogramme them to oppress the masses.
A 'mark' will be given (unto those that won't be attacked). If you do not possess this mark, you will be tormented and tortured.
The end is near accept Jesus Today, to avoid eternal doom.
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 22, 2013
ceejayluv:
You have a valid point there.... Let's just say "Frank" is an Android with bionic body parts.... No less a million dollar marvel.

It is an android, good we agree on that.

Questions: 1. It has a respiratory system, what happens if I attempt to asphyxiate it?

2. Does it eat? poo? Do those digestive organs on Frank go towards these aforementioned functions? or are they just there as decoration? i.e mere physical devices organs with no biological functions...?

3. etc etc

Meet Frank, the Robot!
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Oahray: 6:55am On Oct 22, 2013
olu_kenzo :

Bionic:

Human having mechanical/electrical parts that compliment or work intandem with organic body parts, usually conferring superhuman abilities. i.e It has to have living parts, it has to be human but with mechanical parts that function like and aid the organic parts....

Android:

A Robot that looks and behaves like a human being. i.e it is completely of mechanical parts which have shapes and functions of human body parts...

These definitions makes nonsense of "Frank", at least in the bionic sense. I feel insulted by the attempt at semantic manipulation by the scientists. I won't buy such a lie for a kobo!
bro, an android (robot) is bionic too.

When engineering copies nature, it is called bionic, regardless of what it copies. Doesn't even have to be a robot.

However only when it copies man, in the form of a robot, can it be termed android.

They are right calling it bionic, and you are right calling it android.

1 Like

Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by ezme(m): 7:23am On Oct 22, 2013
albacete: ^^ If u don't believe humans have souls, what about conscience, or is that also a concept developed eons ago?

Maybe u need a clear definition of the word "ignorance".

Why not just appreciate science instead of doing a fictitious God comparison. A parochial mind is like an unpolished shoe, it attracts dusts. People who do not read widely and constantly challenge their world view are part of the problem of society.
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Whitecoal711: 8:29am On Oct 22, 2013
3rd world war go so sweet 3rd world war go so sweet and quick
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Emusan(m): 8:33am On Oct 22, 2013
This reminds me Genesis' creation of man with this phrase "Let's make man in our own image"
I believe Frank was not made with the physical image of those science but it was made in one motive.....a machine that has a citculatory system, heart, lungs & moving parts like them all.

Kudos to them anyway....
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 22, 2013
Oahray: bro, an android (robot) is bionic too.

When engineering copies nature, it is called bionic, regardless of what it copies. Doesn't even have to be a robot.

However only when it copies man, in the form of a robot, can it be termed android.

They are right calling it bionic, and you are right calling it android.

Epic fail.

Huge contradictions. The definitions are strict. Android == Robot, Bionic man == Cyborg. Please re-consult your tech dictionary. "Bionic man".

An android is a robot or synthetic organism designed to look and act like a human, especially one with a body having a flesh-like resemblance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(robot)

A Bionic man a human being whose body has been taken over in whole or in part by electromechanical devices; "a cyborg is a cybernetic organism"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bionic+man

This is the etymology of the word:
The word bionic was coined by Jack E. Steele in 1958, possibly originating from the technical term bion (pronounced bee-on) (from Ancient Greek: βίος), meaning 'unit of life' and the suffix -ic, meaning 'like' or 'in the manner of', hence 'like life'. Some dictionaries, however, explain the word as being formed as a portmanteau from biology + electronics. It was popularized by the 1970s television series The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman, which were based upon the novel Cyborg by Martin Caidin, which was influenced by Steele's work, and feature humans given superhuman powers by electromechanical implants.

Slightly agree. Echolocation etc etc
In medicine, bionics means the replacement or enhancement of organs or other body parts by mechanical versions. Bionic implants differ from mere prostheses by mimicking the original function very closely, or even surpassing it.
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Oahray: 9:02am On Oct 22, 2013
olu_kenzo :

Epic fail.

Huge contradictions. The definitions are strict. Android == Robot, Bionic man == Cyborg. Please re-consult your tech dictionary. "Bionic man".

An android is a robot or synthetic organism designed to look and act like a human, especially one with a body having a flesh-like resemblance.

A Bionic man a human being whose body has been taken over in whole or in part by electromechanical devices; "a cyborg is a cybernetic organism"

This is the etymology of the word:
The word bionic was coined by Jack E. Steele in 1958, possibly originating from the technical term bion (pronounced bee-on) (from Ancient Greek: βίος), meaning 'unit of life' and the suffix -ic, meaning 'like' or 'in the manner of', hence 'like life'. Some dictionaries, however, explain the word as being formed as a portmanteau from biology + electronics. It was popularized by the 1970s television series The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman, which were based upon the novel Cyborg by Martin Caidin, which was influenced by Steele's work, and feature humans given superhuman powers by electromechanical implants.

Slightly agree. Echolocation etc etc
In medicine, bionics means the replacement or enhancement of organs or other body parts by mechanical versions. Bionic implants differ from mere prostheses by mimicking the original function very closely, or even surpassing it.
smh... You sure do love arguments, even if it means beating pointlessly around the bush.

Did you even read the "etymology" part of your post or was it a mindless copy and paste? If a robot (electronic) is made to look like man (biology), how is that not bionic?

'Bionic man' is as much a part of everything 'bionic' just as 'android' is. I know you are a proud fan of sci-fi, but be humble enough to learn.

Someone smart wouldn't post the meaning of 'bionic man' as an argument against an 'android' being 'bionic'. Totally out of point. You disappointed me there.

Checkup the meaning of bionic (in engineering terms), post it here and tell us if a robot made to look and behave like man (android) doesn't satisfy any of the definitions.
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 22, 2013
Oahray: smh... You sure do love arguments, even if it means beating pointlessly around the bush.

Did you even read the "etymology" part of your post or was it a mindless copy and paste? If a robot (electronic) is made to look like man (biology), how is that not bionic?

'Bionic man' is as much a part of everything 'bionic' just as 'android' is. I know you are a proud fan of sci-fi, but be humble enough to learn.

Someone smart wouldn't post the meaning of 'bionic man' as an argument against an 'android' being 'bionic'. Totally out of point. You disappointed me there.

Checkup the meaning of bionic (in engineering terms), post it here and tell us if a robot made to look and behave like man (android) doesn't satisfy any of the definitions.

Wow, you don't say?

Then comes the time when we must agree to disagree...my point is made.

olu_kenzo: An android is a robot or synthetic organism designed to look and act like a human, especially one with a body having a flesh-like resemblance.

Godspeed!
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Oahray: 11:44am On Oct 22, 2013
olu_kenzo :

Wow, you don't say?

Then comes the time when we must agree to disagree...my point is made.

Godspeed!
lol. Sorry if that sounded offensive. I get your point though. Lemme post quotes from Wikipedia too.

"Generally, the term "cyborg" is used to refer to a human
with bionic, or robotic, implants. "
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg

Notice that bionic is synonymous with robotic in that context. That is what makes a cyborg bionic, the robotic implants. But a cyborg (human/bionic mix) is not what the scientists made. Here's a quote from the OP of this thread.

Meet Frank, a robot made of prosthetic limbs and body
parts. He has a beating heart and complete circulatory
system. He's the world's first full Bionic Man to be
introduced at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space
Museum at Washington, D.C.

Notice the term used... FULL BIONIC MAN. Simply means that (unlike the cyborg) ALL it's body parts are bionic (adj.) but it is made to resemble man.

Call it robot man... Call it android... Call it bionic man... You'd still be right.

1 Like

Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by ebbylove: 1:11pm On Oct 22, 2013
we need to be appreciate ds ppl try
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Nobody: 1:31pm On Oct 22, 2013
Oahray: lol. Sorry if that sounded offensive. I get your point though. Lemme post quotes from Wikipedia too.

"Generally, the term "cyborg" is used to refer to a human
with bionic, or robotic, implants. "
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg

Notice that bionic is synonymous with robotic in that context. That is what makes a cyborg bionic, the robotic implants. But a cyborg (human/bionic mix) is not what the scientists made. Here's a quote from the OP of this thread.

Notice the term used... FULL BIONIC MAN. Simply means that (unlike the cyborg) ALL it's body parts are bionic (adj.) but it is made to resemble man.

Call it robot man... Call it android... Call it bionic man... You'd still be right.

I didn't intend coming back here at first, but on a second thought, why not? Our opinions here are purely academic!

Now, I think you shouldn't really narrow it down to the context with which the sentence you quoted implies. Doing that makes nonsense of the term "bionic man". Say Full Bionic Robot and damn the obvious tautology (which is only visible from your POV) and I'll agree with you. It takes essentially living parts to be a Bionic man...

But a cyborg (human/bionic mix) is not what the scientists made.

Touche! This is what I have been trying to explain to you and the obvious liker of your posts since! Frank is an Android, he is a "full bionic robot!"

Ah! Plenty rubbish. I have a payment routine to write!

Bye!
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by temisukanmi(f): 2:51pm On Oct 22, 2013
Reminds Me of CHITI in ROBOT.. Lo√e dat movie so much.
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by ceejayluv(m): 3:48pm On Oct 22, 2013
olu_kenzo :

I didn't intend coming back here at first, but on a second thought, why not? Our opinions here are purely academic!

Now, I think you shouldn't really narrow it down to the context with which the sentence you quoted implies. Doing that makes nonsense of the term "bionic man". Say Full Bionic Robot and damn the obvious tautology (which is only visible from your POV) and I'll agree with you. It takes essentially living parts to be a Bionic man...

Touche! This is what I have been trying to explain to you and the obvious liker of your posts since! Frank is an Android, he is a "full bionic robot!"

Ah! Plenty rubbish. I have a payment routine to write!

Bye!
To sum it up... All Cyborgs are Bionic but not All "Bionic" machines are Cyborgs.
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 22, 2013
ceejayluv:
To sum it up... All Cyborgs are Bionic but not All "Bionic" machines are Cyborgs.

Simple, a man is "bionic" when he has machine parts, these parts most times allows him do the extraordinary.
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by joeboy4reel(m): 8:21am On Oct 23, 2013
ninja4life: Nice work by the scientists.i see some people displaying their ignorance here wat do u mean by soul are u talking about d concept developd by some people in d dark age thousands of years ago with no evidence to support it.abeg dis is a nice development hope d ethical issues will be addressd properly

huuuuh not making sense to me undecided
ninja4life: Nice work by the scientists.i see some people displaying their ignorance here wat do u mean by soul are u talking about d concept developd by some people in d dark age thousands of years ago with no evidence to support it.abeg dis is a nice development hope d ethical issues will be addressd properly

huuuuh not making sense to me
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by joe4christ(m): 10:24am On Oct 23, 2013
ToyinDipo:
What's the name of the game? But seriously human personalty must be difficult to program that they had to give it personalty of a 13 year old boy. Intelligence is probably easier to mimic than personalty like in deep blue chess computer. Africans are struggling with algorithms, see what these white evils are doing with heuristics.

C'mon shut up, if you can recall back how modern computer developement started in early 20th century, then you'll know what the future holds for this Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System, they'll definately keep developing and building on it till it get to a stage where you cant even differenciate it from real human, and the worst would be developing it to be more smarter, swifter, faster and intelligent than man, then you'll know for sure that we have come to the end of the end.
I pity humanity of that generation...
Re: The World's First Bionic Man With Heart And Circulatory System by tpia5: 2:02pm On Oct 26, 2013
I wonder what personalities these bots will be programmed to have.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons / Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA / Photos: Tour Through The Decades To Explore How Technology Has Changed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.