Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. (4526 Views)

Misuse Of Power By Some Vehicle Insurance Officers. / What Does The ABS Sign On Dash Board Means / Error Codes Interpretation And Solutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:44am On Oct 20, 2013
Mlud: A lot of explanations here on how ABS works. Some are correct but there are also some misconceptions on the effect of ABS brakes when driving.
I am with lolomike on this.
I have driven cars equipped with and without and after a scary experience 10 years ago vowed never to own another car without ABS.

Anti-lock/Anti-skid brakes (ABS) work to reduce the braking distance experienced by drivers in an emergency when immediate braking assistance is needed. It works best when you stamp on the brake pedal and keep your foot on it to bring your vehicle to a much quicker stop. The pedal pulsates and kicks back at your foot which shows that the ABS is working. This quick pulsating action fools or confuses some drivers into taking their foot off the pedal as they instinctively think something is wrong. That is the reaction that increases the braking distance as the brakes stop working when you take your foot off the brake pedal.
ABS was never designed to elongate the braking distance to allow you to steer out of trouble. This belief is wrong. ABS will only elongate the braking distance in poor or uneven road surfaces or in wet and also icy road conditions. ABS works best on dry straight roads.
ABS will still work within vehicle tolerances and road conditions but also road speed. It will never defeat nor ignore the law of physics.
That's why many badly informed drivers speed above the limits allowed by traffic conditions and certainly above their driving competence and expect ABS to save them from the cemetery like the Sequoia driver who crashed into the OP. He's lucky he got away with just begging the OP. Sadly he drove away non the wiser.

in simple english ABS has nothing to do with braking distance but it enables the car to be steered in any direction during braking since the wheels wont be locked in one direction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKiTAcXK6M4
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ikeyman00(m): 12:02pm On Oct 20, 2013
^^^^^ aaahaaaaaaaaaaa

still me!
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 12:46pm On Oct 20, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

in simple english ABS has nothing to do with braking distance but it enables the car to be steered in any direction during braking since the wheels wont be locked in one direction

ok u posted a video, but did u actually watch it? Watch it again and focus on 2:30 (2 mins 30 secs) and tell me if abs doesn't SIGNIFICANTLY reduces braking distance. So much misinformation on this thread.

1 Like

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by icemann(m): 1:32pm On Oct 20, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

I cannot believe you typed this shocked. Basic physics knowledge of motion tells you friction is need to stop. And don't believe everything you see online.

When you skid you have very low coefficient of friction. You need friction to stop and the traction for control of the car.

So tell me how does NO traction help in breaking and maneuvering?

ABS system gives the breaking fluid a pulse like motion when its applied. The pulse gives intermittent grip same idea of pumping your break. The idea comes from the inverse reation ship of heat and friction ie the hotter an object the less the friction. When your break locks the disc are to hot the pad almost glides on it (reason for the invention of ventilated brake disc).

I hope this helps you understand more on ABS
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Ikenna351(m): 2:12pm On Oct 20, 2013
elektra80: The truth is ABS is a safety feature and it does reduce braking distance. And I don't agree that if u understand ur car properly, u don't need ABS to stop u from hitting or steering out of an object.. that is bull crap. Why do manufacturers install ABS then. Now I am not saying we should drive recklessly because we have ABS.. far from that. No matter how good u are on the wheels, sometimes we encounter an emergency where we need to stomp on the brake at high speed, especially on a slippery road, Now tell me how will u stop that car fast enough if u don't have ABS. Your car will slip and u lose control without able to steer it out of danger.. this is where ABS comes in, at least with ABS u have a better chance of steering the car out of danger. A lot of people have lost their lives because of wheels locking.

The problem with most Nigerians is they don't know when their ABS is working or not. I have entered several vehicles with ABS light on yet the owners think their ABS is working. Yes I have been ignorant too in the past, I use to drive a car with the ABS light always on and I thought I had working ABS not knowing its faulty. A lot of vehicles on our roads have this ABS light always illuminated on the dashboard and if u ask the owners they don't know why its on and they think their cars have ABS now knowing its as good as conventional brake.

Back then in Awka when I was been raised under my Parents roof, I was the one troubleshooting and fixing my parents cars brake issues. From 2005 to 2006, I single handily converted Peugeot 504 GL to 505 with a stripped/empty 505 body, except the engine and gearbox that I had no tool to pull out and the strength to transfer them to the 505 body. The rest was done by me, alone, including the swapping of the brake components and getting them to work as it was doing when the system was in 504. In 2007 in Enugu, I single handily upgraded a PAN 505 brake system of an Uncle to 504 GL brake system, after he have heard so much about how good I was in fixing brakes from my parents. I made the list of items needed for the upgrade, got the money, travelled to Mgbuka-Obosi, bought the items, returned to Enugu and spent 3 days in the modification. I have been fixing the brakes of all the vehicles I have owned/used, including the present ones, till date. I carry out braking distance test each time I work on my brakes and would return to continue on the job if the test result didn't satisfy me, until I get the best result/braking distance out of the car brake. So I do not become what I am today with cars just yesterday.

I have a workshop, neither did I attend any auto technical or training institute. My cars are my Laboratories, including the ones I have owned or used before now. My cars workshop manuals are just my guide, but 80% of knowledge I have about understanding, troubleshooting and fixing cars today were acquired with my bare hands on spanners and what goes through my brain when am inside the car, the engine bay and under the car, both day and night. Most of the tips on how to manually troubleshoot and fix cars I have posted in this section, were knowledge I acquired or methods I discovered, aside what my repair manuals say, which most times are simpler to methods manuals instruct. You can Google some of them and see if you can find them online. May be someone else have figured them out and posted them online. Well, its left for you to find them and prove me a liar.

I don't read the brake systems. I dissect and study them. I have spent countless nights under my cars with torchlights, trying to figure out how to nail an issue my workshop manuals didn't cover, which at the end would figure out and fix before going to bed, if I still have more hours left to sleep till day break. Oh! I have forgotten, I replaced my SV D9 Timing belt at Night with torchlight, including the day I replaced the Thermostat. I could go on and on. Just trying to let you know how a Theorist I am. I may be doing something else to make a living, but I know who and what I am. Yes, of course, I wont know everything, we learn everyday. But I know the little I have gathered with those tools on my hands under those bonnets.

So next time am debating on a practical side of car discussion, spare me some You Tube Videos or what you read online on the topic. Find a theorist you can use that on. Am a wrong person for such.

"And I don't agree that if u understand ur car properly, u don't need ABS to stop u from hitting or steering out of an object.. that is bull crap."

This post is simply to help you realise how true your quoted comment about me is.

Ikenna.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 3:24pm On Oct 20, 2013
Ikenna351:

Back then in Awka when I was been raised under my Parents roof, I was the one troubleshooting and fixing my parents cars brake issues. From 2005 to 2006, I single handily converted Peugeot 504 GL to 505 with a stripped/empty 505 body, except the engine and gearbox that I had no tool to pull out and the strength to transfer them to the 505 body. The rest was done by me, alone, including the swapping of the brake components and getting them to work as it was doing when the system was in 504. In 2007 in Enugu, I single handily upgraded a PAN 505 brake system of an Uncle to 504 GL brake system, after he have heard so much about how good I was in fixing brakes from my parents. I made the list of items needed for the upgrade, got the money, travelled to Mgbuka-Obosi, bought the items, returned to Enugu and spent 3 days in the modification. I have been fixing the brakes of all the vehicles I have owned/used, including the present ones, till date. I carry out braking distance test each time I work on my brakes and would return to continue on the job if the test result didn't satisfy me, until I get the best result/braking distance out of the car brake. So I do not become what I am today with cars just yesterday.

I have a workshop, neither did I attend any auto technical or training institute. My cars are my Laboratories, including the ones I have owned or used before now. My cars workshop manuals are just my guide, but 80% of knowledge I have about understanding, troubleshooting and fixing cars today were acquired with my bare hands on spanners and what goes through my brain when am inside the car, the engine bay and under the car, both day and night. Most of the tips on how to manually troubleshoot and fix cars I have posted in this section, were knowledge I acquired or methods I discovered, aside what my repair manuals say, which most times are simpler to methods manuals instruct. You can Google some of them and see if you can find them online. May be someone else have figured them out and posted them online. Well, its left for you to find them and prove me a liar.

I don't read the brake systems. I dissect and study them. I have spent countless nights under my cars with torchlights, trying to figure out how to nail an issue my workshop manuals didn't cover, which at the end would figure out and fix before going to bed, if I still have more hours left to sleep till day break. Oh! I have forgotten, I replaced my SV D9 Timing belt at Night with torchlight, including the day I replaced the Thermostat. I could go on and on. Just trying to let you know how a Theorist I am. I may be doing something else to make a living, but I know who and what I am. Yes, of course, I wont know everything, we learn everyday. But I know the little I have gathered with those tools on my hands under those bonnets.

So next time am debating on a practical side of car discussion, spare me some You Tube Videos or what you read online on the topic. Find a theorist you can use that on. Am a wrong person for such.

"And I don't agree that if u understand ur car properly, u don't need ABS to stop u from hitting or steering out of an object.. that is bull crap."

This post is simply to help you realise how true your quoted comment about me is.

Ikenna.

I am not a mechanic, in fact I can't handle a spanner by myself , but I know more about how cars work than lots of so called mechanics out there. I didn't get any formal training in mechanical engineering. So if u spend the whole night under ur car with a torchlight, its non of my business. That doesn't take away the fact that abs system helps reduce braking distance... That is a proven fact and the YouTube video is just an illustration as some things can't be explained by just typing. We pay premium to buy cars equipped with abs, why would someone pay premium for something that elongates breaking distance? So abeg, if u soend all night fixing ur car by urself, it doesn't mean u know everything. We gain knowledge everyday from different sources. Be it by reading owners manual, listening to advice, practicalizing urself, through online forums, YouTube videos, etc. And why are u talking about YouTube videos anyway? Do u wanna tell me u don't watch YouTube videos for things u don't understand? I also visit the Peugeot thread and recently u posted a YouTube video of a new Peugeot engine. So there u go.

2 Likes

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Ikenna351(m): 3:37pm On Oct 20, 2013
Two vehicles cannot have the same braking distance. Which is I earlier said understanding ones car braking distance is the main priority, ABS or not.

The first thing a reasonable driver does once he enters a vehicle he/she hasn't driven before, is to use the first few minutes the car is in motion to find out the state of the car's brake or the car's braking distance.

Two different vehicles with non ABS may have the same braking distance when they are both doing 20 - 40 km/h. But when they are both doing 100 km/h, both wont get to a standstill position at the same measured distance. From pole A to pole B, the first car brake my lock when the brake pedal is depressed hard at pole A to stop before it gets to Pole B at 100 km/h. You may have to pump the brake for it to stop at or before the pole B, otherwise, it may pass the Pole B, since the wheels have locked. But the 2nd vehicle (the same non ABS), at the same 100 km/h, may stopped at pole B or before even the pole B, when started braking from pole A, without any lock wheels or brake pumping.

The same is applicable to 2 ABS installed different vehicles. One may stop at pole B or before the pole B with the help of ABS. While the 2nd car, with ABS fitted as well, may stop before the pole B without the assistance ABS , since the standard brake of the car is powerful enough to do the job, with the same given distance.

In 2001, I travelled to Enugu with my brother for a wedding in our family Peugeot 504 GL ( I was driving). Somewhere between Trans-Ekulu and Abakpa along Onitsha-Enugu Expressway, I was behind a Toyota Carina II SW (when it was still worshipped as 2008 Toyota Camry of Today). I was doing about 100 km/h or so. The car the Carina II was following behind suddenly stopped. The Carina braked, realised the car would crashed onto the tail of the car that stopped, and swerved the nose out of the road. By the time I saw clearly what was going on, I was already too close to the Carina. I immediately pushed down the brake pedal and the clutch. My car, at the speed I was doing, quietly came to a halt, no screech, no wheel lock. I didn't steer the nose out. My car front didn't kiss the Carina's tail. The gap still had few steps separating us. Suddenly, I heard noise from behind, I looked back and saw a car heading towards my car tail with locked wheels and the noise of the tyres. The driver realised he wouldn't make it, released the brake pedal (I believed) and swerved to the left side of the untared road. Guess where he finally stopped? His front bumpers were close to the drivers door of mine, where I was seating. Meaning, if he had not swerved out of the road, he would crashed and pushed my 504 to hit the Carina, at whatever speed he was coming with. It would have been a disaster. Only my brother, till this moment, knows what happened that day in our family, if he would still remember. That was the day I respected that 504 GL foreign assembled brake system. I use that car for years, but cant remember ever hearing the noise of lock wheels throughout the years the car was under my care. No scratch, dent or crash on that car throughout the 10 years the car key was with me. My present 505 V6 Brake system is no match to that 504 GL braking distance. Not even close. Even though the 505 succeeded the 504 with more power. Peugeot knew what they produced which was why they left 505 and listed 504 as one of their classy/classical cars they have produced. Check their database and prove me wrong. This is enough to tell you that something is new doesn't necessarily mean is better than the old one it replaced. Both 504 and 505 were good in their era, but the 505 was not better than the 504 it succeeded.

In my starting post, I used the term "Thinking Distance" as something to be considered, to understand ones car braking distance. I came across that term sometime in the past when I was looking up brake systems in my SV D9. My own definition of Thinking Distance is the distance a driver starts applying brake or gaps a driver gives between a vehicle he/she is following behind, since he/she has understood his brake system/capacity. A driver that understands the braking distance of a car he/she is driving will always apply the thinking distance, for the car braking distance to be achieved.

The standard brake of every vehicle should be good enough for a good driver to use without having need to ever use the ABS, once he/she understands the car's braking distance.

The primary aim of ABS is to keep the wheels free for the steering to be able to steer the car to any direction the driver wants to steer the car to, while the ABS module also tries to stop the car completely while that is going on.

My SV D9 has about 3 Brake systems, aside the standard brake. If ABS can be this effective as we are claiming here, why would other new brake systems introduced recently still be added in cars with ABS? So now manufacturers who are looking for a way to cut down cost of production would install 3 expensive systems to do one job, when one of the systems can actually do the job? ABS is no longer new, meaning the newer brake systems should have replaced the ABS. Yet, they are all still been installed together, to help improve the brake, which to me, is the braking distance. Because that's what its all about. The shorter the braking distance, the safer. Why then are those other brake systems doing in a car with ABS, when the ABS can do the job well?

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 4:38pm On Oct 20, 2013
Ikenna:
[b][/b]The standard brake of every vehicle should be good enough for a good driver to use without having need to ever use the ABS, once he/she understands the car's braking distance.

Lets make an illustration. 2 same cars, brand new. One has ABS installed and the other doesn't have ABS. You are driving on a narrow bridge at a speed of 140km/hour and suddenly u notice a cow standing a few meters in front of u. The road is narrow, no where to swerve to, u don't have an option than to use ur brake. Now tell me which of the 2 cars is more likely to crash. And don't tell me u will pump ur brake on the car without ABS because there is no way u can pump it as fast as the computer will do on the car with ABS. If u think u don't need ABS, then can u kindly disconnect all the ABS sensors and the ABS module on ur car and send them to me. I will be very grateful to have them and u will be my hero. Even though they might not be useful to me because I don't use Peugeot, but I do have someone who uses Peugeot and his ABS module is faulty, so I can give it to him.

Now back to youtube.. u said u successfully converted a 504 to 505.. good job. Now during that process, if u had the whole procedure on video and then u post it to youtube, If I wanted to do the same conversion and I come to cartalk to make inquiry, won't u refer me to ur youtube channel to view the procedure? That way I have learned from u. So u see... youtube is not a bad thing, so if I post a youtube video to illustrate a point, don't u crucify me.

1 Like

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:07pm On Oct 20, 2013
elektra80:

ok u posted a video, but did u actually watch it? Watch it again and focus on 2:30 (2 mins 30 secs) and tell me if abs doesn't SIGNIFICANTLY reduces braking distance. So much misinformation on this thread.

the function of ABS is not reducing breaking distance but making you able to steer away from danger

thought it helps in reducing braking distance
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:15pm On Oct 20, 2013
icemann:

I cannot believe you typed this shocked. Basic physics knowledge of motion tells you friction is need to stop. And don't believe everything you see online.

When you skid you have very low coefficient of friction. You need friction to stop and the traction for control of the car.

ABS system gives the breaking fluid a pulse like motion when its applied. The pulse gives intermittent grip same idea of pumping your break. The idea comes from the inverse reation ship of heat and friction ie the hotter an object the less the friction. When your break locks the disc are to hot the pad almost glides on it (reason for the invention of ventilated brake disc).

remember there is function and then benefits

so the function of the ABS is to not the let the car lock in one direction and overcoming wheel spins

the benefit is reducing braking distance but thats depends on the type of surface
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 20, 2013
wanted to comment but then I saw Siena...
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 5:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
icemann:

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 5:31pm On Oct 20, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

the function of ABS is not reducing breaking distance but making you able to steer away from danger

thought it helps in reducing braking distance

I think u are contradicting urself. First u said abs has nothing to do with braking distance, now u said though it helps in reducing braking distance. My point is still valid.. ABS helps in reducing braking distance.. whether its the main function of abs or not that is a different topic.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 20, 2013
smartchoice: wanted to comment but then I saw Siena...

What happend next? cheesy cheesycheesy grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Gee2728(m): 7:07pm On Oct 20, 2013
icemann:

That's y its cost so much and BREMBO are making so much money on those vented disc.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by cardoctor(m): 12:23am On Oct 21, 2013
elektra80: Abs explained. And yes abs does reduce braking distance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd5KDvXbE3M

But not on the type of road that the op described as where and when the accident happened.

Car-Doctor.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by auhanson(m): 1:27am On Oct 21, 2013
Following , and sifting the shaft from the seeds. We should all be admitting our errors and learning from our mistakes. No one is perfect. You cannot say that you have never misinformed for ones, and only to realise sooner or later that you should have debunked that crap..though they may be gray areas too that may need some kind of debating as well.

2 Likes

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:17am On Oct 21, 2013
elektra80:

I think u are contradicting urself. First u said abs has nothing to do with braking distance, now u said though it helps in reducing braking distance. My point is still valid.. ABS helps in reducing braking distance.. whether its the main function of abs or not that is a different topic.

like i said before it was never invented to reduce breaking distance since breaking distance can be affected by many things eg weather and surface of the road

the reason why car manufacturers never mention the breaking distance on ABS is because it misleads people thinking that one can over speed and brake late and ABS will help with breaking distance, which is dangerous and weather and road surface play a major and that breaking distance will be lost

remember the breaking distance is affected by road conditions especially in grave road, wet road, ice road and then your tyres etc braking distance is affected by these even when ABS kicks in
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by earthrealm(m): 10:59am On Oct 21, 2013
my 2 cents...on rough bumpy roads.....cars with abs need more distance to stop than cars without abs.....but on smooth tarred roads....you will find the car with abs a lot more useful in stopping...
like someone noted earlier.the mistake most people make is to remove theoir legs from the brake pedal as soon as the abs starts pulsing...this is wrong..you shud still hold ur leg firmly there and maintain constant pressure.

the beauty of abs is onbvious in emergency stops where you have to brake/stop quickly.............the car with abs with stop quickly and suddenly and may even rock side to side or end to end........but the car without abs with use a longer braking distance ....all this of course is on a smooth tarred road...................if u are constantly going to be driving on dirt/bumpy roads.....my recommendation is to disable your abs cheesy.......................race cars don't hv abs........I think! smiley
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Mlud: 1:47pm On Oct 21, 2013
Now now we must be careful here.
ABS is not allowed in Formula 1 racing cars and British Touring Competition Cars BTCC and probably some other genres of racing cars simply because they are electronic driving aids and historically gave some manufacturers an "unfair advantage" when racing.
Disabling the ABS module from your road car because you anticipate prolonged driving on uneven roads even in Nigeria is bad news and totally unnecessary.

Racing cars have the latest technology with well trained drivers who utilise years of experience and skill to control their cars at high speed. They do without ABS as they are driving in a controlled environment and they "learn at school" to stop their racing cars from high speed using well honed skills.
Your average or even luxury road cars are engineered for" normal" use i.e everyday use including good badly maintained straight curvy bumpy wet hilly uneven and in the relevant country icy conditions.
Driven sensibly most drivers will be fine. Poke around your car in different ways if you must but disabling your ABS is as ill advised as removing the thermostatic valve in your engine to avoid the car overheating. You will be prescribing medication where there is no illness.

the beauty of abs is onbvious in emergency stops where you have to brake/stop quickly.............the car with abs with stop quickly and suddenly and may even rock side to side or end to end........but the car without abs with use a longer braking distance ....all this of course is on a smooth tarred road...................if u are constantly going to be driving on dirt/bumpy roads.....my recommendation is to disable your abs cheesy.......................race cars don't hv abs........I think! smiley [/quote]
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Mlud: 1:56pm On Oct 21, 2013
The last paragraph in my post above is a quote from the previous post which I was replying to.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Originalsly: 2:30pm On Oct 21, 2013
Mlud: A lot of explanations here on how ABS works. Some are correct but there are also some misconceptions on the effect of ABS brakes when driving.
I am with lolomike on this.
I have driven cars equipped with and without and after a scary experience 10 years ago vowed never to own another car without ABS.

Anti-lock/Anti-skid brakes (ABS) work to reduce the braking distance experienced by drivers in an emergency when immediate braking assistance is needed. It works best when you stamp on the brake pedal and keep your foot on it to bring your vehicle to a much quicker stop. The pedal pulsates and kicks back at your foot which shows that the ABS is working. This quick pulsating action fools or confuses some drivers into taking their foot off the pedal as they instinctively think something is wrong. That is the reaction that increases the braking distance as the brakes stop working when you take your foot off the brake pedal.
ABS was never designed to elongate the braking distance to allow you to steer out of trouble. This belief is wrong. ABS will only elongate the braking distance in poor or uneven road surfaces or in wet and also icy road conditions. ABS works best on dry straight roads.
ABS will still work within vehicle tolerances and road conditions but also road speed. It will never defeat nor ignore the law of physics.
That's why many badly informed drivers speed above the limits allowed by traffic conditions and certainly above their driving competence and expect ABS to save them from the cemetery like the Sequoia driver who crashed into the OP. He's lucky he got away with just begging the OP. Sadly he drove away non the wiser.
You can say this again. I drive a 2 ton truck with ABS....all day...a hard driver...in city limits. From experience... ABS helps give better control of the vehicle when braking hard since the wheels don't lock up and cause fish tailing. This I know is the main purpose of ABS..to prevent the wheels from locking up. Its effectiveness is so much more noticeable in wet or icy conditions. On dry smooth roads all is well and good. I can't tell if the stopping distance would be shorter under this condition but what I know.is if the road surface is bumpy...or have pot holes...the stopping distance is much greater with ABS. E.g...there's a down hill street where getting down to the bottom the road is rough...when halfway down the block I start braking...all is fine until the first bump is hit. With foot still on the brake..the pulsing of the ABS is very strong but the vehicle is not slowing down as fast as it was before. I would have to quickly take my foot off the brake and press again which I think restart the process as Mud mentioned. With this my experience I can say that stopping distance with ABS varies with road conditions. @ topic...as a forum for sharing knowledge I think OP has done well to basically inform misinformed readers that a vehicle with ABS does not mean that that vehicle can come to a sudden stop when the brake is applied hard enough. On avoiding rear ending ...I would advise that ABS or no ABS.....you need to know how quickly your vehicle can stop under the present road conditions follow the vehicle ahead of you at a distance where you can stop in time if that vehicle stops suddenly. @OP....you mentioned about a little neck pain after the accident....it is called whiplash and is far more serious than you may think. Have it checked out if you can or it may affect you down the road. Was yoir headrest up to halfway behind your.head?....after all...that is the purpose of the headrest...to prevent whiplash.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Oct 21, 2013
held my peace b4 I say one thing and Oga @ d top (Siena) say another cheesy cheesy

lomomike:

What happend next? cheesy cheesycheesy grin grin grin
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by earthrealm(m): 8:15pm On Oct 21, 2013
u think my advice to disable your abs if u desire is illconcieved?..many Nigerians are driving their cars with the abs incator lit on their dash..... and this my bro = ur abs diabled/kaput!!! cool
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Ikenna351(m): 8:45pm On Oct 21, 2013
Originalsly: @OP....you mentioned about a little neck pain after the accident....it is called whiplash and is far more serious than you may think. Have it checked out if you can or it may affect you down the road. Was yoir headrest up to halfway behind your.head?....after all...that is the purpose of the headrest...to prevent whiplash.

I don't recall the position of the headrest, but yes, do car had headrest.

The impact pushed head forward and backward, via the work of seatbelt. Imagine you are hit from behind with a big force and a belt tied you to a chair, with your neck free from the belt. The head unit (radio set) jumped/pulled out of the dashboard where it was screwed and fell unto the gear lever, to tell you how the impact was. I didn't even feel the neck pain until the day after or so. It was when I got back to Abuja the 3rd day that the pain became unbearable.

You see, you can all stay here and argue with whatever your books tells you, but I saw what happened that day, what caused it, how it happened, what it did to me and the outcome. All that because I was the VICTIM. I saw everything from the beginning to the end via the rearview mirrior. I got to the pump, slowed down, pulled out the gear stick from the 2nd gear and was about to shift it to the 1st gear to climb the bump, when I now looked at the rearview mirror and saw the disaster coming to happen before my eyes. I saw the SUV at high speed closing behind me and realised it was going to happen. I could tell from the engine note that the brake was not applied at the distance between us at the speed it was coming. Quickly, I left the gear stick in the neutral and took my feet off the pedals. It was too late by the time he pushed the brake. His wheels would have locked, considering the speed he was doing when he tried to stop the car (to prove that his ABS was working well). No noise of wheel locked of any kind. He started steering the SUV nose out to the left side (meaning the ABS working for him to steered the vehicle and it responded). Unsuccessfully, the right side bumper guard (close to right headlight) crashed onto the left rear side of the car I was driving. If I had shifted the stick to the 1st gear and apply brake when it happened, it would have been something all together. Even if I had come out with no scratch, other than the neck pain, the damage to the car would have made the car unmovable at that spot. The ABS gave him the room to steer the car completely into the other lane to prevent hitting the car, but the thinking distance was poor; he started steering when it was too late, because of over confidence of what his AUTOMATIC brake can do. And yes, the road in question is a very smooth road. Those that ply that road will know the road am talking about that is about 60-80 km with bumps at every 3-10 km.

I didn't start this topic to convince anyone, but simply to tell how I was a victim of Nigerians interpretation of ABS and it's misuse. Anyone who is in doubt can still carry out a test and come back and prove me wrong. Just find a parked truck, tractor or bulldozer on a smooth surface road. Push your car to the limit, get too close and hold your brake pedal to the floor for the ABS to come and hold it there. And please, don't steer the wheel, just hold it steady, since the ABS is supposed to stop the car before it gets to the Tractor. After all, understanding ones vehicle braking distance means nothing, as far as ABS is concerned.

Ikenna.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:20pm On Oct 21, 2013
Ikenna351:

The impact pushed head forward and backward, via the work of seatbelt. Imagine you are hit from behind with a big force and a belt tied you to a chair, with your neck free from the belt. The head unit (radio set) jumped/pulled out of the dashboard where it was screwed and fell unto the gear lever, to tell you how the impact was. I didn't even feel the neck pain until the day after or so. It was when I got back to Abuja the 3rd day that the pain became unbearable.

You see, you can all stay here and argue with whatever your books tells you, but I saw what happened that day, what caused it, how it happened, what it did to me and the outcome. All that because I was the VICTIM. I saw everything from the beginning to the end via the rearview mirrior. I got to the pump, slowed down, pulled out the gear stick from the 2nd gear and was about to shift it to the 1st gear to climb the bump, when I now looked at the rearview mirror and saw the disaster coming to happen before my eyes. I saw the SUV at high speed closing behind me and realised it was going to happen. I could tell from the engine note that the brake was not applied at the distance between us at the speed it was coming. Quickly, I left the gear stick in the neutral and took my feet off the pedals. It was too late by the time he pushed the brake. His wheels would have locked, considering the speed he was doing when he tried to stop the car (to prove that his ABS was working well). No noise of wheel locked of any kind. He started steering the SUV nose out to the left side (meaning the ABS working for him to steered the vehicle and it responded). Unsuccessfully, the right side bumper guard (close to right headlight) crashed onto the left rear side of the car I was driving. If I had shifted the stick to the 1st gear and apply brake when it happened, it would have been something all together. Even if I had come out with no scratch, other than the neck pain, the damage to the car would have made the car unmovable at that spot. The ABS gave him the room to steer the car completely into the other lane to prevent hitting the car, but the thinking distance was poor; he started steering when it was too late, because of over confidence of what his AUTOMATIC brake can do. And yes, the road in question is a very smooth road. Those that ply that road will know the road am talking about that is about 60-80 km with bumps at every 3-10 km.

I didn't start this topic to convince anyone, but simply to tell how I was a victim of Nigerians interpretation of ABS and it's misuse. Anyone who is in doubt can still carry out a test and come back and prove me wrong. Just find a parked truck, tractor or bulldozer on a smooth surface road. Push your car to the limit, get too close and hold your brake pedal to the floor for the ABS to come and hold it there. And please, don't steer the wheel, just hold it steady, since the ABS is supposed to stop the car before it gets to the Tractor. After all, understanding ones vehicle braking distance means nothing, as far as ABS is concerned.

Ikenna.

your are not here to convince anyone but to share your knowledge never tire to share
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 11:08pm On Oct 21, 2013
Ikenna351:

Ikenna.

story story.. Yaaaawwwnn. Nobody is saying understanding braking distance is nothing. The point is at top speed, a car with abs has a better chance of avoiding a crash than one without abs. Shikena
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 11:09pm On Oct 21, 2013
[quote author=Ikenna351]

I didn't start this topic to convince
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by KA24DETT(m): 1:00am On Oct 22, 2013
SIMPLE ANSWER
ABS reduces braking distance in dry condition. In winter snow covered road, its a different situation
ABS light illuminated on your dashboard means either the sensors on your ABS is not communicating with the ABS module or the ABS module is gone.

Ikenna, no one is saying the ABS stops the car for you. It just prevents wheel lock so you can steer your car away from danger. And yes, it reduces braking distance .
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Originalsly: 1:14am On Oct 22, 2013
@Ikenna.....was showing concern for your health. Actually when rear ended... depending on the force of the impact..the body is suddenly pushed forward by the seat while the head is yanked along by the neck unless it is up against the headrest which would push it forward at the same time as the rest of the body. In future if you realize you would be hit from behind set your head firmly against the headrest or you may end up with a broken neck. Not surprised that the radio or anything not properly secured to the car would fly towards the back of the car on impact. Wish you well.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by KA24DETT(m): 1:27am On Oct 22, 2013
Originalsly: @Ikenna.....was showing concern for your health. Actually when rear ended... depending on the force of the impact..the body is suddenly pushed forward by the seat while the head is yanked along by the neck unless it is up against the headrest which would push it forward at the same time as the rest of the body. In future if you realize you would be hit from behind set your head firmly against the headrest or you may end up with a broken neck. Not surprised that the radio or anything not properly secured to the car would fly towards the back of the car on impact. Wish you well.

All this could be prevented by wearing a seat belt.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Ikenna351(m): 5:13am On Oct 22, 2013
KA24DETT:

All this could be prevented by wearing a seat belt.

And I told you I was not wearing seat belt?

Ikenna

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla 2011/2012 Users Advise / Diff. Btw VW Golf 3 GTI And GL Model / Electric Or Manual Carburetor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 175
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.