Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

What Does This Job Offer? - A Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Does This Job Offer? - A Short Story (1024 Views)

What Does This Mean? Please Interpret! / What Does Futo Direct Entry Cut Off Mark Looks Like / What Does Yahoo Plus 419 Mean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does This Job Offer? - A Short Story by Meklex(m): 11:41am On Oct 19, 2013
The night was cold, it is always cold in December.
Juden walked down the street with his hands jabbed inside his pockets.
He was basking in euphoria as he walked down Johnson street in Port Harcourt.
He was deep in thought and smiles to himself occasionally as he trudged down the street, he just got a job.
Oga you no dey see road? A man queried, breaking into his reverie.
Na your papa wey no dey see road, Juden reiterated,
Talk wetin you talk again, the man charged
Juden scrutinised the man thoroughly. He was a brawn as hefty as the word hefty, Juden know better than to engage this man in a brawl.
Oga no be so oh, na play I they play, Juden said remorsely.
Ok, na play you call am abi?, we go play tire today.
The man said lurching forward.
Juden was thinking. Chai o see this man he never see say na only two pack abs I get on top small muscle, abi he wan kill person.
Oga abeg I no wan play ag.......
The remaining words were silenced as the man's great fist made a gut wrenching impact on Juden's chin.
The impact made by the punch was great as Juden hobbled backwards and fell sprawled on the ground.
The wind whizzed past him as he lay forlorn counting stars till he slided quietly into oblivion.
------------------------------------
Juden slowly opened his blurry eyes to meet a dimly lit room.
He closed his eyes to think, he remembered his brawl with the beast of a man.
Why am I here? He muttered
His jaw sending spasms of pain to his brain.
He shuddered.
Juden was now more sober than dizzy, he tilted his head to survey his surroundings.
His hands were tied his legs also,
On the walls are patches of red, most probably blood.
He cringed at this thought but cowered more in terror when his eyes fell upon a corpse.
The eyes were opened wide in shock and blood was dripping from the eyes.
One of its legs lay detached from the body.
It must have been painful, Juden muttered sadly, as his body reeled violently in horror.
What came as a greater shock as Juden started wailing softly, he recognised the corpse.
That is stan, he exclaimed ecstatically.
Stan was wearing his two piece suit, even in death it still fitted him like a gloves.
Juden remembered the pain he went through to buy the suit that now lay wringed with blood and dust.
Juden, can you lend me money? He had begged.
Ha, stan, you know that I can hardly eat two times a day without exhausting all my money.
Stan had went to his girlfriend, Sandra, she was his last resort. She gave him the money after making him exert himself in the bed with her on an empty stomach.
But stan didn't mind, he made sure to assure Juden that he will dump her if he got this job at Chevron. Juden was more lucky to have a suit himself. They were going for the same interview.
-------------------------------------
At a corner of the large expanse of the room A man lay patiently in the dark glancing furtively at Juden,
He loved seeing his victims alive but he derives more pleasure watching them die.
----------------------------------------
Juden feigned to be sleeping when he heard heavy footsteps, the footsteps were now getting closer, he waited gazing down at his feet.
------------------------------------ Darwin walked into the room with a file under his arms.
He was smiling frankly to himself,
He loved the look on Juden's face, at first it was shock then it quickly changed to a knowing glint as his lips widen wryly in a grin.
Darwin!, Good God, you are here!, I have been praying for someone to stroll by.
Darwin smiled, you should pray more harder, Juden.
Juden was aghast with shock, b
What was that? He managed to ask.
Hahaha, easy pal, you will know in due course.
Darwin was a friend of Stan. they met themselves at the job interview, Darwin had been his friend back at school.
He had striked Juden as a brilliant individual, he had a great command of the English language and Juden liked him immediately.
Darwin please, I will like to know what this is all about, Juden pleaded.
Chilax pal, don't rush, you have a whole lot of time, you see, I'm not rushing, you should do the same.
Darwin fastidiously extracted a paper from the file, smiling under his breath.
Juden this file is your letter of appointment, isn't it?
He held it up in the light for him to see,
Yes and how did you get it? Juden asked almost crying.
Easy pal, I just went over your place, I thought it wise to bring it along with me.
In a swift movement, he tore the paper.
Juden was ready to kill. He was fuming.
Relax pal, don't work yourself up, you will need your strength, trust me.
Juden was mad, what was that for? He cried, It took me four years to get that job!!,he shouted.
It took me many years longer, Darwin reiterated, his face was now relaxed and sober,
It took me fuckin eight years!!, and you just snatched the job from me.
I have been routing for that job for months now, I lost everything because of that fuckin job.
Juden watched on, undecided whether to spit on him or fling himself at him.
Yes I lost my mother, because of that job, and you and Stan snatched it away from me.
Darwin you are being hysterical, Juden blurted.
Yes, I lost my mind to the death of my mum.
Do you know what it feels like to watch your mum die?.
Juden wished he wouldn't know.
I had no money to take her to the hospital and she died.
I could have saved her but I used up my money to buy this suit I am wearing.
A nice suit, Juden thought, it must have cost a lot.
Darwin we can work this out,
Just let me walk and I will never come back again you can have the job, you have a good educational qualities, they will want to hire you.
Darwin thought for a moment.
If you are dead the job will be mine, my interview came third after you and Stan.
But you can still have the job if the company cannot contact me, Juden said expectantly.
I don't trust you, Darwin said, Stan is already dead and it's only logical that you die too.
Darwin, you don't have to do this, Juden begged.
--------------------------------------
The man in the dark stood up he groped for his cutlass, the discussion have lingered on for long and nobody will tell him not to do what he waited all this while.
He walked slowly out of the shades.
Oga, I will need you take a walk he referred to Darwin.
Darwin reeled around, Jamo, he exclaimed.
Please go outside, I will call you when I need you, Darwin intimated.
This infuriated jamo, nobody orders me around, he said, I will have you moved if you can't do it willingly.
Darwin was flustered, I paid you for this job,he said, I will tell you what to do and you will do it, he finished breathlessly
You don't have to tell me my job, sorry you don't have one, cos if you do you won't stand between me and my hobby. Darwin lurched forward in agitation towards Jamo and in swift thrust Jamo's cutlass came in contact with Darwin's neck.
Darwin fell lifeless on the floor. His head rolled over where where Juden sat forlornly on the chair
Jamo almost forgotten about Juden in his ecstatic apparition turned his head towards Juden who is now half dead with terror.
Juden,in the repose of his thoughts can still remember vividly the gut wrenching punch Jamo had given him at Johnson street.
He thought he was a reprobate then, but now he knows better.
Jamo was excited, he will have to kill this one slowly.
He often joked with himself.
Alcohol kills slowly but not as slow as Jamo.

Author's note: if the rate of unemployment increases exponentially this is just a tip of the iceberg to the inanities it can bring.
This is purely a work of fiction, nobody is killing no one for no job.
All rights reserved:every part of this work is solely the property and imagination of the of the author, if your name is mentioned that doesn't mean that employment or unemployment will kill you.
MEKLEX1@GMAIL.COM.
Re: What Does This Job Offer? - A Short Story by Meklex(m): 1:09pm On Oct 19, 2013
Please o, make una review this story, and comment.
This is my third story on nairaland and all I got is just views.
Please check my profile for the other stories.
Thanks for your time,.
Re: What Does This Job Offer? - A Short Story by Donbona8(m): 9:45am On May 15, 2015
This is a great writeup. A combination of English and Pidgin require tranlation of certain words and speeches.
I was hoping you'd grant me right to share this article on my blog. Or if possibly I'd like you to write on my blog. Message me your reply Mr Jacob
Re: What Does This Job Offer? - A Short Story by Meklex(m): 5:46pm On Jul 31, 2016
Donbona8:
This is a great writeup. A combination of English and Pidgin require tranlation of certain words and speeches.
I was hoping you'd grant me right to share this article on my blog. Or if possibly I'd like you to write on my blog. Message me your reply Mr Jacob
more than a year ago.
I'm wondering if the job is still open?

(1) (Reply)

The Story Without A Title / After The Ghost Town (horror Story) / Love The One With You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.