Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,827 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! - Webmasters (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! (242886 Views)

Free Training On How To Create NGO Websites And Business Paypal Account / Opencart And Wordpress FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! - / Free Training On How To Create Mobile Application For Blackberry, Iphone, Ipad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by folyboy2013: 12:02pm On Oct 30, 2013
ein: Here is my question, first I am not new to joomla, I have created a few dynamic website using joomla, I would say joomla is not that easy to learn. My questions is this:

1. I want to install an important module but keep failing, try a lot of googling for solution, the solution I get Is what I found impossible, the solution state that a module that refuse to install from your joomla extension can be done on your database. I ask myself how.

2. Is there a way to install a template from the database.

3. by mistake I set my handler from database to none, immediately all menu stop from displaying which, with that I can't work or change it back to database since the menu to click on save is not showing.

Please my ogas in the house, can you help me solve this problem, if not all abeg.

1. from your database folder locate htdocs and locate your precise work, open it and locate a folder name tmp, copy your file on the folder and extract. Now go to your joomla backend and locate your extension manager(where you upload your extension) locate Install Directory and click on the install. this will surely solve your problem.

2.same process to my first answer.

3.go to your database and locate your work folder, locate a php file called configuration.php and locate the settings change it back to database and save. goodluck

1 Like

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ein: 1:19pm On Oct 30, 2013
folyboy2013:

1. from your database folder locate htdocs and locate your precise work, open it and locate a folder name tmp, copy your file on the folder and extract. Now go to your joomla backend and locate your extension manager(where you upload your extension) locate Install Directory and click on the install. this will surely solve your problem.

2.same process to my first answer.

3.go to your database and locate your work folder, locate a php file called configuration.php and locate the settings change it back to database and save. goodluck

Wowwwww, you just solve my hurdles, all works perfectly. I am highly thankfull to you, for ur assistance. Thankssssssssssssssssss
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by dolamanimagar: 2:18pm On Oct 30, 2013
good
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 30, 2013
Sir i have two question
1 i use a CKform on a joomla but its not submitin to neither the database nor the specify email address, is there any configuration to do apart from the "MAILTO" address in the configuration tab of CKform
2 is there a way i can break a long form into two parts(ie the form has many fields)
3 i need to preview an uploaded pic before submission on the same ckform, how can i achieve this?
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 10:18pm On Oct 30, 2013
I couldn't get to put the CKform into my Joomla 3.1 to see how it works.

1. Is your site on the internet or are you using a localhost, what version of Joomla are you using?
2. It is the form's component or module that gives you the ability break the forms into pages. May be CKform doesn't have that function.
3. This function can also be incorporated by the component/module developer.

You should see a demo or documentation of a form creator or any extension to enable you see its functions before downloading.

shollynoob: Sir i have two question
1 i use a CKform on a joomla but its not submitin to neither the database nor the specify email address, is there any configuration to do apart from the "MAILTO" address in the configuration tab of CKform
2 is there a way i can break a long form into two parts(ie the form has many fields)
3 i need to preview an uploaded pic before submission on the same ckform, how can i achieve this?
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Nobody: 12:36am On Oct 31, 2013
Hello boss!
I tried to acces your website!
But its telling me account suspended!please check it out and correct the issues! Thanks.am not a noise maker!and I must confess joomla aint easy at all,but with this tread. I have learnt more and more about joomla!thanks

1 Like

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 1:10am On Oct 31, 2013
Thanks. It was a minor issue with one of our servers, It has been resolved. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

pureguide: Hello boss!
I tried to acces your website!
But its telling me account suspended!please check it out and correct the issues! Thanks.am not a noise maker!and I must confess joomla aint easy at all,but with this tread. I have learnt more and more about joomla!thanks
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 31, 2013
ZinoFego: I couldn't get to put the CKform into my Joomla 3.1 to see how it works.

1. Is your site on the internet or are you using a localhost, what version of Joomla are you using?
2. It is the form's component or module that gives you the ability break the forms into pages. May be CKform doesn't have that function.
3. This function can also be incorporated by the component/module developer.

You should see a demo or documentation of a form creator or any extension to enable you see its functions before downloading.

the site on running already on the internet, its not really mine but for a friend of mine, version of joomla, i dont know. ll get back when i have more details, Thanks for your prompt response
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 11:32am On Oct 31, 2013
I installed Joomla 3.1 in the link below, you can use it for your practice.

Site URL: http://joomlaextended.com/demo3.
Administrator: http://joomlaextended.com/demo3/administrator
Username: demo
Password: demo.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by chiefkpokp(m): 6:26pm On Oct 31, 2013
I just hate it when someone is busyin spending his hard time given others tips on free stuff and another orkpetu will jst come in want to derail d thread...... First are u d only coder in nairaland? If am not mistaken,u r still a newbie in coding forget ur username reflection......there are few geek out there who were supposed to interfer but they know the rule and kept quite, u just come from nowere begin disturb class. Let me give u dis advice... U better get use to Joomla,wordpress,drupal and ecommerce, except u willbe coding,coding till dem rush u go hospital. Lol
Next time non dey interfer again, we know everything so leave dem alone. Na humanbeing customise Immigration website abi dem tell u say na d developer code ham em self......

[.quote author=CODE-EATER]Quick question:

Wats so special about WordPress n joomla.

I keep seeing so much buzz abt dem...just don't get d big deal...

U said ur client want a data intensive work or site...couldn't that be achieved by writing a little cms of ur own?

M one of doz guys that believe in code-it-yourself ..I prefare to write my own stuff Dan use a framework.. I USE THEM ONLY WHEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY...

so plz...pardon my ignorance and show me d way..[/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 9:07pm On Oct 31, 2013
Users

Joomla allows your website to have multiple registered users. All users are arranged in user groups, which have permission to access certain parts of the website. By default these are the user groups:

|—Guest
|—Manager
|—|—Administrator
|—Registered
|—|—Author
|—|—|—Editor
|—|—|—|—Publisher
|—Super Users

Users assigned to “Super Users” group can work in both back-end and front-end
Users assigned to “Registered” group can work only at the front-end.
You can manage users, user groups and access levels in the menu “Users”.

Add A User
Click Users ---> User Manager ---> Add New User.
Enter the User details in the Account Details Tab. Remember to Assign the User to a Group in the "Assigned User Groups" tab.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 9:12pm On Oct 31, 2013
Media Manager
Here you can upload files that you will need to use in your website. If you want to attach images to your "Articles" or "Custom HTML Module", you can create upload files by following this link.

1. Go to "Content" ---> "Media Manager"
2. Click "Upload"
3. Click "Choose Files". You will then be taken to your computer hard drive to choose the files you want to upload.
4. Click "Start Upload"
These files will be uploaded to the "images" folder in your Joomla files directory.But if you need to group your files into folders, follow the
instructions below.

Creating A Folder
1. Go to "Content" ---> "Media Manager"
2. Click "Create New Folder", "Input a folder name eg. "TrainingFiles" and click the "Create Folder" button.

Now you have your new folder called "TrainingFiles" in the Media Manager.

Uploading Files
Now, it’s time to upload the files into your newly created files folder "TrainingFiles".
1. Click on the "TrainingFiles" folder,
2. Click "Upload"
3. Click "Choose Files". You will then be taken to your computer hard drive to choose the files you want to upload.
4. Click "Start Upload"

These files will be uploaded to the "TrainingFile" folder.

To Select multiple files. You can use your mouse cursor to mark all files or hold the “CTRL” key and click on the individual files you want to select, to mark them and Click "Start Upload".
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 9:13pm On Oct 31, 2013
Language Manager
Go to "Extensions" ---> "Language Manager"
Here, you will see all the languages installed in your Joomla site. In this site, we have only one language installed which is
English (United Kingdom). You can install other languages as you wish.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 9:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
SEO & SEF
For a basic class such as this, you can optimize your website to be search engine friendly by following the following steps.
1. Go to "System" ---> "Global Configurations".
---Under SEO Settings:
Click "YES" for Search Engine Friendly URLs.
---Under Metadata Settings:
"Site Meta Description": Enter a description of the overall Web site that is to be used by search engines. Generally, a maximum of 20 words is optimal.
"Site Meta Keywords": Enter the keywords and phrases that best describe your Web site. Separate keywords and phrases with a comma.
"Content Rights": Describe what rights others have to use this content.

2. Click Save & Close.
You can use other methods to promote you website as well.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 9:16pm On Oct 31, 2013
Security
Here are some steps to secure your Joomla website.

1. Website backup: Have a back of your website from time to time. Do rely on your host to do it for you, do it yourself!

2. Infested computer: Malware, spyware and other computer infections account for vast majority of websites hack. Please ensure that your computer is infections free
because you may be uploading infested files from your computer if it is not free, thereby making your website vulnearable to attacks.

3. Old unused extensions: If you are not making use of any extension, please delete it now!

4. Badly coded third party extensions: Please read the review of all of your third party extensions before you install them into your website.

5.Cheap/Free Host. Some cheap and Free hosting company cramp very many websites together, and if any website in that server is attacked, all other websites in the
server may be infected.

6. Restrict user's priveledges: If you have a forum or allow uploads for any reason, please set restrictions on the file types, file sizes and in your .htaccess file,
use clever coding to detect common exploit terms.

7. Keep Joomla core files up to date: Please ensure that you are running the latest version of Joomla at all times, keep your extensions up to date as well.

8. Weak Joomla Administrator Password: First rename the Administrator's username from admin to something you can remember. Then choose a password that is a combination
of different characters.

9. Giving away your Joomla logi information: If you are soliciting for support, please ensure whom you are dealing with before letting go of your login details.

10. No security measure for a Joomla website: Database prefix, super admin ID, upload limit, blocking terms in URLs, block all SQL injections. Some of these are basic, some are complicated and should be done by a Joomla professional.

From my point of view, if you are a serious business person and you have not implemented these and other Joomla security measures, you are begging to be hacked and being ridiculed. I have been there, it is not a palatable place to be.

2 Likes

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 12:31pm On Nov 01, 2013
Now that we have successfully completed the table of content listed at the beginning of this tutorial, we will now learn how to move our website from our Localhost in our computer to the internet.

There are a few steps we will take to achieve this, they are:
1. Configure the configuration.php file
2. Upload all your localhost website files to your online website using FTP.
3. Export your database from phpmyadmin in you localhost
4. Import your database into your online website.
5. Check your website in your browser.

Moving From Localhost To The Internet

1. Configure the configuration.php file
Open your Joomla website folder, look for configuration.php, open it. if you have followed this class step-by-step so far, your configuration.php file will look like what we have below. Not familiar with codes? there nothing to worry about, you just need to alter four lines here.

The configuration.php file is better viewed using Notepad ++. You can download Notepad ++ from http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download. It is free.

Now that you have your Notepad ++, open the configuration.php file using Notepad ++.

Here is my configuration.php.

<?php
class JConfig {
public $offline = '0';
public $offline_message = 'This site is down for maintenance.<br /> Please check back again soon.';
public $display_offline_message = '1';
public $offline_image = '';
public $sitename = 'Joomla Training';
public $editor = 'tinymce';
public $captcha = '0';
public $list_limit = '20';
public $access = '1';
public $debug = '0';
public $debug_lang = '0';
public $dbtype = 'mysqli';
public $host = 'localhost';
public $user = 'gdft1A';
public $password = 'admin';
public $db = 'gdft1A';
public $dbprefix = 'gsixm_';
public $live_site = '';
public $secret = 'oP06WEO4zMxnUYrN';
public $gzip = '0';
public $error_reporting = 'default';
public $helpurl = 'http://help.joomla.org/proxy/index.php?option=com_help&amp;keyref=Help{major}{minor}:{keyref}';
public $ftp_host = '';
public $ftp_port = '';
public $ftp_user = '';
public $ftp_pass = '';
public $ftp_root = '';
public $ftp_enable = '';
public $offset = 'UTC';
public $mailer = 'mail';
public $mailfrom = 'info@joomlaclassics.com';
public $fromname = 'Joomla Training';
public $sendmail = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';
public $smtpauth = '0';
public $smtpuser = '';
public $smtppass = '';
public $smtphost = 'localhost';
public $smtpsecure = 'none';
public $smtpport = '25';
public $caching = '0';
public $cache_handler = 'file';
public $cachetime = '15';
public $MetaDesc = '';
public $MetaKeys = '';
public $MetaTitle = '1';
public $MetaAuthor = '1';
public $MetaVersion = '0';
public $robots = '';
public $sef = '1';
public $sef_rewrite = '0';
public $sef_suffix = '0';
public $unicodeslugs = '0';
public $feed_limit = '10';
public $log_path = 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Ampps\\www\\JoomlaTraining/logs';
public $tmp_path = 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Ampps\\www\\JoomlaTraining/tmp';
public $lifetime = '15';
public $session_handler = 'database';
}

We are going to make changes to the bolded lines above to reflect changes that our site require to be able to run online.

Before you proceed, please have a backup of the configuration.php file.

We will make assumptions here, lets say our website is http://JoomlaExtended.com. When the website was hosted, it was given a username by the hosting company, and lets say the username is "joomlaex". We will use this username "joomlaex" as a suffix followed by an underscore (_) to our database name and its Username. This means:

public $user = 'gdft1A'; becomes public $user = 'joomlaex_gdft1A';. This is for the Username

public $db = 'gdft1A'; becomes public $db = 'joomlaex_gdft1A';, This is for the Database.

Changing "log" and "temp" folders paths
In my computer, I installed Joomla in this path: C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Ampps\\www\\ as shown in the configuration.php file, so since we are moving the website online to my domain name http://JoomlaExtended.com; C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Ampps\\www\\ will then be replaced by "/home/joomlaex/public_html/". This means:

public $log_path = 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Ampps\\www\\JoomlaTraining/logs'; becomes public $log_path = '/home/joomlaex/public_html/logs';

public $tmp_path = 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Ampps\\www\\JoomlaTraining/tmp'; becomes public $tmp_path = '/home/joomlaex/public_html/tmp';

Our New configuration.php file will now be:

<?php
class JConfig {
public $offline = '0';
public $offline_message = 'This site is down for maintenance.<br /> Please check back again soon.';
public $display_offline_message = '1';
public $offline_image = '';
public $sitename = 'Joomla Training';
public $editor = 'tinymce';
public $captcha = '0';
public $list_limit = '20';
public $access = '1';
public $debug = '0';
public $debug_lang = '0';
public $dbtype = 'mysqli';
public $host = 'localhost';
public $user = 'joomlaex_gdft1A';
public $password = 'admin';
public $db = 'joomlaex_gdft1A';
public $dbprefix = 'gsixm_';
public $live_site = '';
public $secret = 'oP06WEO4zMxnUYrN';
public $gzip = '0';
public $error_reporting = 'default';
public $helpurl = 'http://help.joomla.org/proxy/index.php?option=com_help&amp;keyref=Help{major}{minor}:{keyref}';
public $ftp_host = '';
public $ftp_port = '';
public $ftp_user = '';
public $ftp_pass = '';
public $ftp_root = '';
public $ftp_enable = '';
public $offset = 'UTC';
public $mailer = 'mail';
public $mailfrom = 'info@joomlaclassics.com';
public $fromname = 'Joomla Training';
public $sendmail = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';
public $smtpauth = '0';
public $smtpuser = '';
public $smtppass = '';
public $smtphost = 'localhost';
public $smtpsecure = 'none';
public $smtpport = '25';
public $caching = '0';
public $cache_handler = 'file';
public $cachetime = '15';
public $MetaDesc = '';
public $MetaKeys = '';
public $MetaTitle = '1';
public $MetaAuthor = '1';
public $MetaVersion = '0';
public $robots = '';
public $sef = '1';
public $sef_rewrite = '0';
public $sef_suffix = '0';
public $unicodeslugs = '0';
public $feed_limit = '10';
public $log_path = '/home/joomlaex/public_html/logs';
public $tmp_path = '/home/joomlaex/public_html/tmp';
public $lifetime = '15';
public $session_handler = 'database';
}

Please save the file.

2. Upload all your localhost website files to your online website using FTP.
Using an FTP program such as Filezilla, upload all your website files to the public_html folder in your online website.

3. Export your database from phpmyadmin in you localhost
a. Open http://localhost.com/phpmyadmin
b. Click the database name: gdft1A
c. Click Export
d. Click OK.
The database "gdft1A" will be downloaded into your computer as "gdft1A.sql"

4. Import your database into your online website.
a. Log into your online control panel(cpanel)
b. Click MySQL Databases and create a database named “gdft1A” and Username: “gdft1A”. Remember to Add User “gdft1A” to Database “gdft1A”. Grant all privileges to the User.
c. Go back to the Cpanel Home. Under "Databases", Click "phpmyadmin"
d. Click on the database named “gdft1A”
e. Click “import”
f. Under "File to Import:" Click "Choose File". Look for "gdft1A.sql" in your computer and select it
g. Scroll down to Click "GO". Your database "gdft1A.sql" that you downloaded will be imported into “gdft1A”. You do not have to do anything again here.

5. Check your website in your browser.
ie you should type your website address eg. http://JoomlaExtended.com in your browser and press enter.

If you have followed the 5 steps outlined above, your website will start running just as it was in your localhost.

You can now log into your website's administrator end eg http://JoomlaExtended.com/administrator to continue configuring your website to your taste.

3 Likes

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by cougarng: 7:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
Oga lecturer welldone I rily enjoyed d tutorials, my question is how can I change d websie logo from d default logo. And how can I create a download link on my website to download music files
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by MrDonfranko(m): 8:55pm On Nov 01, 2013
cougar_ng: Oga lecturer welldone I rily enjoyed d tutorials, my question is how can I change d websie logo from d default logo. And how can I create a download link on my website to download music files

Hello Cougar ng,
-If by website logo you mean Favicon (the little image that displays close to the website title in the browser when you are browsing or when you bookmark the website) then, I recommend you download and install the PHOCA FAVICON extension to the back end of your Joomla! website. Then, create and upload your logo from the Phoca Favicon control panel.
If it is the Default Image that comes with the Joomla! template, just determine the width and height by extracting the original template and viewing the default logo image size then, creating yours accordingly and uploading through the template manager.

-For music files download link, just scroll to where our great tutor mentioned adding external links through menu item or sub menu item. That will answer your question in detail sir.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by MrDonfranko(m): 9:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
Hello ZinoFego,

If I assert that I do not appreciate what you have taken time to do here, then I will be lying. On behalf of all silent readers of this topic, I say thank you. I did not come here to display a superiority complex of my design skills on various web platforms I want to thank you for your work here and also be cleared on various pressing Joomla! issues I have.
I recently started using this beautiful Open Source CMS Joomla! but I have gone in-depth and here are my questions asked in the most simplest form;

QUESTION LAYOUT
I installed Joomla! on my hosting server then, I downloaded a Joomla! template which I saw as free and responsive and I loved the layout of the template as shown by the demo after that, I logged on to my backend as a super user, then I uploaded and installed the new template through the extensions directory and activated it as default for my site front end from the templates manager after which I uninstalled previous Joomla! default templates.

My Questions
1. Why is the layout I am seeing on my website front end after activating the template from my back end different from what I saw on the demo before I downloaded the template?

2. How can I make my website front end look exactly like the template demo I saw. What are those things I need to change, activate or enable or what do I do?

3. Under the "Extensions Manager > Manage," some items, components, modules and plugins are locked or have a small lock key beside them and gives me this error "User State Not Permitted" when I click on it or try to enable it. How do I unlock it or use those locked items? Do they have an adverse effect on my website if tampered with?

I will appreciate if my questions are answered in lay/simple terms. These questions can be answered by anyone who really understands what I mean. I will be grateful.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 10:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
Questions 1 and 2 have the same answer.
There are two types of templates. One is "Template Only" while the other one is "Quickstart Template".

"Quickstart Template" contains, all the Joomla files, the template owner's components, modules, plugins, images, videos etc or any other third party extensions. This is what you'll upload into your website to make it look exactly like the demo you saw. You need an FTP program to upload the "Quickstart Template". It is uploaded just the way you upload Joomla files into your website. Make sure you Install Sample Data during your installation process.

Question 3.
The extension with "User State Not Permitted" is a protected extension, part of the core of Joomla and deliberately protected from tampering! If you need to use that extension, you need to create another instance of it so you can do whatever you want with it, though not all the protected extensions can be created from the Module menus.

I hope those helped.

Mr.Donfranko:
Hello ZinoFego,

If I assert that I do not appreciate what you have taken time to do here, then I will be lying. On behalf of all silent readers of this topic, I say thank you. I did not come here to display a superiority complex of my design skills on various web platforms I want to thank you for your work here and also be cleared on various pressing Joomla! issues I have.
I recently started using this beautiful Open Source CMS Joomla! but I have gone in-depth and here are my questions asked in the most simplest form;

QUESTION LAYOUT
I installed Joomla! on my hosting server then, I downloaded a Joomla! template which I saw as free and responsive and I loved the layout of the template as shown by the demo after that, I logged on to my backend as a super user, then I uploaded and installed the new template through the extensions directory and activated it as default for my site front end from the templates manager after which I uninstalled previous Joomla! default templates.

My Questions
1. Why is the layout I am seeing on my website front end after activating the template from my back end different from what I saw on the demo before I downloaded the template?

2. How can I make my website front end look exactly like the template demo I saw. What are those things I need to change, activate or enable or what do I do?

3. Under the "Extensions Manager > Manage," some items, components, modules and plugins are locked or have a small lock key beside them and gives me this error "User State Not Permitted" when I click on it or try to enable it. How do I unlock it or use those locked items? Do they have an adverse effect on my website if tampered with?

I will appreciate if my questions are answered in lay/simple terms. These questions can be answered by anyone who really understands what I mean. I will be grateful.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by MrDonfranko(m): 11:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
ZinoFego: Questions 1 and 2 have the same answer.
There are two types of templates. One is "Template Only" while the other one is "Quickstart Template".

"Quickstart Template" contains, all the Joomla files, the template owner's components, modules, plugins, images, videos etc or any other third party extensions. This is what you'll upload into your website to make it look exactly like the demo you saw. You need an FTP program to upload the "Quickstart Template". It is uploaded just the way you upload Joomla files into your website. Make sure you Install Sample Data during your installation process.

Question 3.
The extension with "User State Not Permitted" is a protected extension, part of the core of Joomla and deliberately protected from tampering! If you need to use that extension, you need to create another instance of it so you can do whatever you want with it, though not all the protected extensions can be created from the Module menus.

I hope those helped.

Hello,

Thank you.

Quick questions as regards your answer.

1. Can I unzip and edit a template then zip it to make it a "Quick start template" or how do I go about getting quick start templates?
Are they responsive?

2. I use an online server. Can't I upload the quick start template using the Extensions manager?

3. The installation process you speak of, is it during my initial Joomla! installation?

Thank you for your time and reply.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 11:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
1. Quickstart Templates are comprehensive, some as high as 80MB. Quickstart is like your initial Joomla installation. Instead of installing Joomla files, you just install the Quickstart pack, it contains all the Joomla files and many more. Most template providers give a Quickstart template. If the template is responsive, the template inside the Quickstart will also be responsive.

2. Please note: Quickstart template is not an extension, it is not a template. It cannot be installed as an extension. Quickstart template is another word for the demo you saw online. So if you are installing a Quickstart template, it means you are installing the demo.

3. If you want to use a Quickstart template, YOU DON'T INSTALL JOOMLA AT ALL. Just install the files in the Quickstart template, it contains all in the initial Joomla files and other third party extensions.

Mr.Donfranko:

Hello,

Thank you.

Quick questions as regards your answer.

1. Can I unzip and edit a template then zip it to make it a "Quick start template" or how do I go about getting quick start templates?
Are they responsive?

2. I use an online server. Can't I upload the quick start template using the Extensions manager?

3. The installation process you speak of, is it during my initial Joomla! installation?

Thank you for your time and reply.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by MrDonfranko(m): 12:08am On Nov 02, 2013
ZinoFego: 1. Quickstart Templates are comprehensive, some as high as 80MB. Quickstart is like your initial Joomla installation. Instead of installing Joomla files, you just install the Quickstart pack, it contains all the Joomla files and many more. Most template providers give a Quickstart template. If the template is responsive, the template inside the Quickstart will also be responsive.

2. Please note: Quickstart template is not an extension, it is not a template. It cannot be installed as an extension. Quickstart template is another word for the demo you saw online. So if you are installing a Quickstart template, it means you are installing the demo.

3. If you want to use a Quickstart template, YOU DON'T INSTALL JOOMLA AT ALL. Just install the files in the Quickstart template, it contains all in the initial Joomla files and other third party extensions.

Hello,

I appreciate your replies and I thank you for your time. Stay blessed.

QuickStart Templates or Templates only. What is your candid advice?
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 12:23am On Nov 02, 2013
It depends on the purpose, if you are doing a very extensive site and you get a Quickstart that has most or all of the components, modules, plugins that you require, I'll advice you use it. But if your site is a small one, template only is a better option. Some Quickstarts can be difficult to work with. For instance, there was a Quickstart I used and I was unable to install any other third party extension apart from that Quickstart developer's extensions. Though, Quickstarts helps newbies a lot because it further simplified Joomla.

Mr.Donfranko:

Hello,

I appreciate your replies and I thank you for your time. Stay blessed.

QuickStart Templates or Templates only. What is your candid advice?
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by MrDonfranko(m): 9:30am On Nov 02, 2013
ZinoFego: It depends on the purpose, if you are doing a very extensive site and you get a Quickstart that has most or all of the components, modules, plugins that you require, I'll advice you use it. But if your site is a small one, template only is a better option. Some Quickstarts can be difficult to work with. For instance, there was a Quickstart I used and I was unable to install any other third party extension apart from that Quickstart developer's extensions. Though, Quickstarts helps newbies a lot because it further simplified Joomla.

Thanks. I certainly wish to understand this beautiful CMS more than I already know.

I know my questions are much but, I also know that someone out there is silently benefiting from the answers to my questions.

-Would you suggest or rather, advice people to buy templates? Like those sold on JoomlaShine, Hurricanemedia, Joomlart and the rest?

-If those templates are bought and downloaded, do they come with components, plugins and modules? Or they are as still templates only?
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 9:56am On Nov 02, 2013
I will advise you to always buy Templates because most times free Templates you download from unknown sources are filled with malware and that will compromise your site. Though some sites that offer Premium Templates also offer free ones, these ones are ok.

If the site offers Quickstart Packages, they will come with extensions (components, plugins and modules). You will be given an option to download the Quickstart, or Template only or the two of them together.

Some of the sites that offer Premium Templates accept our Nigerian ATM cards so buying should not be an issue. As low as $50 ie like 8k, you can have access to over 80 premium templates.

My bro, you can always ask questions, that's the essence of this thread.

Mr.Donfranko:

Thanks. I certainly wish to understand this beautiful CMS more than I already know.

I know my questions are much but, I also know that someone out there is silently benefiting from the answers to my questions.

-Would you suggest or rather, advice people to buy templates? Like those sold on JoomlaShine, Hurricanemedia, Joomlart and the rest?

-If those templates are bought and downloaded, do they come with components, plugins and modules? Or they are as still templates only?

1 Like

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 02, 2013
@ZinoFego

I Subscribed for the Joomla! Step Ebook on Your site @ Joomlaextended.com buh I've not gotten it.. It always says, The Ebook has been sent to my mail Box.. Buh there's no Email..

Can u help me send the EBook..

My Email: Djangocode@gmail.com

Thanks for Your Tuts...

What's Yo Twitter Handle lemme Follow u..
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by MrDonfranko(m): 11:14am On Nov 02, 2013
ZinoFego: I will advise you to always buy Templates because most times free Templates you download from unknown sources are filled with malware and that will compromise your site. Though some sites that offer Premium Templates also offer free ones, these ones are ok.

If the site offers Quickstart Packages, they will come with extensions (components, plugins and modules). You will be given an option to download the Quickstart, or Template or the two of them together.

Some of the sites that offer Premium Templates accept our Nigerian ATM cards so buying should not be an issue. As low as $50 ie like 8k, you can have access to over 80 premium templates.

My bro, you can always ask questions, that's the essence of this thread.

Thank you.
1. If you mean paying $80 to subscribe for access to over 50 premium templates on a particular website, kindly post such websites. If it is inconvenient to post it here, ask me to drop my Email address and I will do so.

2. Also, kindly help me and others who may wish to know, with websites that offer QuickStart packages.

3. I also subscribed for the Joomla! Step Ebook on Your site @ Joomlaextended.com it was sent to me but what I saw was a .png attachment of the Ebook front cover. Kindly look into the attachment included in the autoresponder for your subscription list.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 02, 2013
Mr.Donfranko:

Thank you.
1. If you mean paying $80 to subscribe for access to over 50 premium templates on a particular website, kindly post such websites. If it is inconvenient to post it here, ask me to drop my Email address and I will do so.

2. Also, kindly help me and others who may wish to know, with websites that offer QuickStart packages.

3. I also subscribed for the Joomla! Step Ebook on Your site @ Joomlaextended.com it was sent to me but what I saw was a .png attachment of the Ebook front cover. Kindly look into the attachment included in the autoresponder for your subscription list.

If u have the EBook bro, Kindly send to me..
Email: Djangocode@gmail.com

As Per Yo Questions, I learned a lot from em..
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 5:05pm On Nov 02, 2013
Thank you for showing interest in my ebook. Please give me a moment, I will resend it to you.

Djangocode: @ZinoFego

I Subscribed for the Joomla! Step Ebook on Your site @ Joomlaextended.com buh I've not gotten it.. It always says, The Ebook has been sent to my mail Box.. Buh there's no Email..

Can u help me send the EBook..

My Email: Djangocode@gmail.com

Thanks for Your Tuts...

What's Yo Twitter Handle lemme Follow u..

Mr.Donfranko:

Thank you.

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by MrDonfranko(m): 6:31pm On Nov 02, 2013
Djangocode:

If u have the EBook bro, Kindly send to me..
Email: Djangocode@gmail.com

As Per Yo Questions, I learned a lot from em..

I don't have the Ebook. What I have is a picture of the front cover. That was what the mail autoresponder
sent to me. I know he will send it to you.
And, yes I believe in questions.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by MrDonfranko(m): 6:32pm On Nov 02, 2013
ZinoFego: Thank you for showing interest in my ebook. Please give me a moment, I will resend it to you.

Hello, my final questions were not replied to. Please do so when you have time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (69) (Reply)

Learn Web Design LIVE On Nairaland!!! / Domain Name Business; The Easiest & The Most Profitable Online Venture / How To Download Youtube Videos Using The ‘ss’ Trick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.