Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Yoruba Concept Of Heaven - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Yoruba Concept Of Heaven (7462 Views)

Understanding The Concept of Tithing / Pastor Abraham Yakubu's Testimony Of Heaven And Hell In English / A Vision Of Heaven And Hell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Concept Of Heaven by macof(m): 2:20pm On Oct 21, 2013
This is one complex issue in Yoruba philosophy and spirituality

Heaven, the abode of God is where everyone wants to return to.

Heaven is our true home, we are only here on a mission.

The ancient Yoruba looked forward to returning to heaven to meet with the ancestors and live among the gods in the glory of God.

Now I would start using Yoruba terms

Orun which is the unseen spiritual realm is the source of the Universe created by Olodumare. Olodumare is believed to have created Orun and created Awon Orisha who control the universe according to the Universal law of nature.

Olodumare can be referred to as Olorun-owner of Heaven

Olofin-owner of the Law

Olodumare is the energy behind the creation of the universe, and the place where best glows in glory is Orun Rere

This brings me to the issue of two heavens

I have come across theories of Orun Rere and Orun Buru.

I don't know much about this but common sense would drive one to believe

Orun Rere is heaven and Orun Buru is hell.

I don't think ancient Yoruba believed in hell and my guess is that this idea of Orun rere and Orun buru is made by the influence of Islam and Christianity.

Ikole Orun(structure of the spiritual realm) and Ikole Aye(structure of the physical realm) are the two realms which everyone knows about.

ewo wa ni orun meji ti won gbe wa?

Does Ifa say anything about another spiritual realm which is not favorably as the Abode of Olorun?

Awon Ara Ikole-Orun include Egugun, Ori, Orisha, Irunmole and Emi. Whereas Awon Ajogun manifest and patrol Ikole Aye permanently.

I honestly don't know much about the Yoruba concept of Orun and those in it but I would like this to be an open discussion
Re: Yoruba Concept Of Heaven by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:50pm On Oct 21, 2013
Orun is the celestial sphere. This is to my best understanding.

But Yoruba people believe that when person die, he is dead biologically but alive spiritually. Thats why it is said that 'o ti ku bayi, o ti ni oju merin. Oti ri aye ju wa lo. Bo ba de orun, jowo tete pada wa' meaning you are dead now, you now have four eyes and see the world beyond what we can see. If you get to heaven, pls come back quickly.

Orun is part of the universe.

And nothing like hell or orun buburu according to Ifa.

Ire

(1) (Reply)

"There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? / What Type Of girls will You Approve Your Sons To Marry / Don’t Give Up! God Will Take Care Of You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.