Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,673 members, 7,809,563 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! (7550 Views)

Quote Your Favourite Scriptural Verse Here / Is Kissing And Hugging Sinful In Christian Courtship? / Pst. Chris Ojigbani: Courtship Before Marriage Is A Waste Of Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 22, 2010
There is no scriptural passage supporting courtship! So how do we get to study our fiance or fiancee? Any disagreements?
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Image123(m): 3:15pm On Dec 22, 2010
There were courts and there were ships though.
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by InesQor(m): 3:35pm On Dec 22, 2010
Stop being so rigid and splitting hairs.  undecided

There is nothing wrong with courtship. Courtship is the process of a man seeking a woman's approval and consent for marriage.

It is a PROCESS.  cool

What you do in the process, or what you don't do, is what makes it ok or wrong. That's all.
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 22, 2010
Hey@inesqor, the questn is:where in d bible is it supported? Dnt u think there's no way U WONT COMMIT TOUCHERY while trying 2 kw him or her? Am nt rigid, just factual.
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by aletheia(m): 3:50pm On Dec 22, 2010
^^Go read the Song of Solomon (Song of Songs). And also study Jacob's seven year courtship of Rachel. As InesQor said:

InesQor:

Stop being so rigid and splitting hairs.  undecided

There is nothing wrong with courtship. Courtship is the process of a man seeking a woman's approval and consent for marriage.

It is a PROCESS.  cool

What you do in the process, or what you don't do, is what makes it ok or wrong. That's all.

It is not good to have zeal without knowledge (Proverbs 19:2).
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by InesQor(m): 4:19pm On Dec 22, 2010
aletheia:

^^Go read the Song of Solomon (Song of Songs). And also study Jacob's seven year courtship of Rachel. As InesQor said:

It is not good to have zeal without knowledge (Proverbs 19:2).

GBAM!  smiley Thanks, aletheia!!

ETA: 7 years for Leah, 7 years for Rachel. No be beans, mehn! grin grin
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:47pm On Dec 22, 2010
Image123:

There were courts and there were ships though.

There were also fellow ships or rather ships for the fellow. cheesy
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 22, 2010
the way some people think sha,
Computer is not in the bible too
neither is there anything like phone
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Image123(m): 6:51pm On Dec 22, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

There were also fellow ships or rather ships for the fellow. cheesy
Help us tell him o!
Aletheia, InesQor, the guy's looking for the word 'COURTSHIP', not the act.
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:26pm On Dec 22, 2010
Image123:

Help us tell him o!
Aletheia, InesQor, the guy's looking for the word 'COURTSHIP', not the act.

Even the first tennis match in the Bible was when Joseph played it in Pharaoh's "COURT" cool
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 22, 2010
What is so difficult abt accepting d bitter truth?
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 22, 2010
There's nothg connecting GEN.24:12-19 wit d topic on ground, There waz never a courtship agreement btw JACOB & LEAH or RACHEL rather it waz a 'SERVE ME B4 SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT' btw LABAN & JACOB, Its jus dat God's grace wl keep deliverin us frm THE OLD LAWS but in actual courtship is not scriptural,
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by InesQor(m): 9:10pm On Dec 22, 2010
@galek: No problem. You can have it your way.
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Image123(m): 9:19pm On Dec 22, 2010
galek:

What is so difficult abt accepting d bitter truth?
N.O.T.H.I.N.G

I don't take you serious gale. But for the records sha, maybe you're looking for the word 'betrothed', like what was going on between Joseph and Mary before she got pregnant with Jesus the Son of God.
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by InesQor(m): 9:25pm On Dec 22, 2010
Image123:

I don't take you serious gale. But for the records sha, maybe you're looking for the word 'betrothed', like what was going on between Joseph and Mary before she got pregnant with Jesus the Son of God.
SMH at OP
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Jay595(m): 9:59pm On Dec 22, 2010
@ poster- plz grow up dr r a lot of things we do 2day dat r not in d bible.
God gave us brains so that we can give him rest.
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 22, 2010
Anythg we do today dat is not biblically supported is UNGODLY! Guide how u reply post '595, @inesquo & image,its like both of U are in courtship, I can undastnd ur FIRM argument! Carry on but be kiaful 2 kip it clean.
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Jay595(m): 10:30pm On Dec 22, 2010
I think u might hv 2 define wat U understand by courtship.
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:49pm On Dec 22, 2010
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Jay595(m): 10:59pm On Dec 22, 2010
U no wat, its not worth arguing about, its ur belief. If u don't wanna court fine. I've beta issues 2 attend 2. Just marry d next lady dat walks up 2 u
Gudluck
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:52pm On Dec 22, 2010
True Love

"Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it: if a man would give all the substance of his house for love, it would utterly be contemned" (Song of Solomon 8:7)

The Song of Solomon, as part of God’s inspired word, is much more than an ancient erotic poem, as some have interpreted it.  Solomon was given great wisdom by God, so that he "spake three thousand proverbs; and his songs were a thousand and five" (I Kings 4:32).  Of these latter, he apparently considered this to be his masterpiece, his "song of songs" (Song 1:1).  It can best be understood as a pure love song describing the courtship and marriage of Solomon and his first bride, long before he later married "many strange [that is, ‘foreign’] women" (I Kings 11:1), who "turned away his heart after other gods" (I Kings 11:4).

Another interpretation, favoured by many Bible scholars over the centuries, is that the story is an allegory whose theme is the love of Christ and His heavenly bride, the true church.

That is, it really does seem to describe the love of young Solomon and his first bride.  Such love had and still has God’s blessing, for the union of man and woman in permanent, loving marriage, has always been God’s plan, ever since Adam and Eve (note Christ’s confirmation of this in Matthew 19:3–9).  It is "the works of the flesh," including "adultery, fornication, . . ." which God condemns.

But the song can also bring great blessing to the reader as he sees therein the eternal love of the Lord Jesus and His heavenly Bride.  Our text verse, read in this light, is a glorious truth.  Not even the waters of a great flood could quench such love, nor all the possessions of a wealthy king ever purchase it.  It is true eternal love, bought by the blood of the Bridegroom and received with undying faith by His beloved Bride. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:04am On Dec 23, 2010
Guess what Adam's lines were when he first set his eyes on Eve.

[img width=500 height=500]http://www.answersingenesis.org/assets/images/media/cartoons/after-eden/20060717.gif[/img]
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Nobody: 12:09am On Dec 23, 2010
Sometimes, I dont get Christianity. I' m on THAT boderline of becoming an atheist

When the Bible said lust is a sin, we say, okay. No looking at that sexy man walking by.
You said No sex before marriage, we say "okay". We should worship our body like it's the temple of God.

Now Courting is a sin?
So how exactly are Christains suppose to love and procreate?
"Hey, let's get married and have babies" after the first eye contact?
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Nobody: 12:10am On Dec 23, 2010
Ok, I just realized that the poster has no source or Bible passage whatsoever.

So, Christians, help a sister out!
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by aletheia(m): 12:17am On Dec 23, 2010
^^The posts following the OP contain references to scripture. Why don't you read them up for yourself? smiley
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by InesQor(m): 12:20am On Dec 23, 2010
@Ileke-Idi:

Sis, there is a lot of junk everywhere but you need to carefully filter it. And don't ever get discouraged smiley

And if you have questions, feel free to contact me smiley and we can talk. My email is My-user-name@yahoo.com
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by InesQor(m): 12:21am On Dec 23, 2010
aletheia:

^^The posts following the OP contain references to scripture. Why don't you read them up for yourself? smiley

+1
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Nobody: 12:24am On Dec 23, 2010
aletheia:

InesQor:

@Ileke-Idi:

Sis, there is a lot of junk everywhere but you need to carefully filter it. And don't ever get discouraged smiley

And if you have questions, feel free to contact me smiley and we can talk. My email is My-user-name@yahoo.com

Ok, thanks guys.

InesQor, I def will. Sometimes I just sit there and think about my beliefs. thanks
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Sweetnecta: 1:28am On Dec 23, 2010
@ileke idi: Omo ekiti. Ora. O ya o though you left some many years ago. grin I had a few Ikole Ekiti visits.

You know Islam entered Ekiti long time ago. You should investigate Islam before you become an atheist. Florida is filled with Muslims.

There's muslim family involved in construction business in Ado Ekiti.

These christian goons will lie shamelessly to you through their teeth.

they have no shame. They make references to OT when NT has nothing to show. The go to Psalm when they need healing. The abandon NT at a drop of a dime.

Aburo, there is nothing wrong in courtship.

You just have to court the man in the presence of people who are looking out for you. These people are guards against potential husband and wife taking it to the end of the line. be patient. End of the line will come when you are married.
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Nobody: 2:45am On Dec 23, 2010
@Ikidi,inesquor, set out time & ask God 2 give U ur man or woman, U dnt need 2 spend yrs understanding each other, atlst 6 month (maximum) engagement is ok & then get married,
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Nobody: 2:55am On Dec 23, 2010
galek:

@Ikidi,inesquor, set out time & ask God 2 give U your man or woman, U dnt need 2 spend yrs understanding each other, atlst 6 month (maximum) engagement is ok & then get married,

Oh it did help, thanks kiss

Sweetnecta:

@ileke idi: Omo ekiti. Ora. O ya o though you left some many years ago.  grin I had a few Ikole Ekiti visits.

You know Islam entered Ekiti long time ago. You should investigate Islam before you become an atheist. Florida is filled with Muslims.

There's muslim family involved in construction business in Ado Ekiti.

These christian goons will lie shamelessly to you through their teeth.

they have no shame. They make references to OT when NT has nothing to show. The go to Psalm when they need healing. The abandon NT at a drop of a dime.

Aburo, there is nothing wrong in courtship.

You just have to court the man in the presence of people who are looking out for you. These people are guards against potential husband and wife taking it to the end of the line. be patient. End of the line will come when you are married.

So tani un?

How you take know me like this? lol

Hehehe, I know the Mallams have descended upon Ekiti. Hope you enjoyed your visit. Me, muslim? ehrrrm tongue

Thanks for the advice  smiley
Re: Courtship Is Not Scriptural;its A Sin! by Joagbaje(m): 8:17am On Dec 23, 2010
Joseph was in courtship with Mary grin. They had bethrotal, courtship, engagement,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Journey To Becoming The Supreme Avatar - The Theory Of Everything. / Annual New Year Prophecies: A Man-made Tradition Or Inspired Of God? / What Are Your Plans For Easter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.