Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Understanding The Concept of Tithing - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Understanding The Concept of Tithing (37074 Views)

The Law Of Tithing, Does It Really Work For You? / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / How To Reap The Full Benefits Of Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 12:21pm On Oct 28, 2014
There is a religious movement that believe that tithing is an old law that should be made away with the entrance of the new law of Christ. I will like to use this medium to bring to light a few things about tithe.

The law which we know came through Moses according to the word of God. This law many believe was made away with the entrance of Christ. But Jesus himself who understand the unchangeability of God declared, "I did not come to destroy the law but to fulfill it", "whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven". The spirit of God inspired the writer of Numbers to write, "God is not a man that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

THE ORIGIN OF TITHE

I want to let us know that before the law came into being, tithe has already being. Genesis 14:18 and 20, "Then Melchizedek King of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High". "And blessed be God Most High who has delivered your enemies into your hand." And he gave him a tithe of all.

Before the law came into being Abraham has given tithe. The question is, "how did Abraham came to know about tithe before it came into being?" God had called Abraham out from his land in order to use him as a means of bringing the savior into the world. To keep Abraham on track, God needed to bless Abraham. God made it clear to Abraham that he was going to bless him. This blessing was not going to come the way the people arround Abraham were getting theirs. It was going to come through spiritual principles. The last principle of the wealth God promised Abraham was Tithing.

Abraham without prior knowledge of tithe, gave tithe. Abraham was the first person that gave tithe.

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 12:38pm On Oct 28, 2014
THE MAN ABRAHAM

It is necessary to look at the person of the man who first gave tithe. Genesis 12:1-4 God had said to Abraham. Abraham had heard from God saying move out of here to a place I will show you. Having told him of His desire to bless him. In verse 4, Abraham departed in line with the instruction of God. The man Abraham was an addict to the word of God. Before it drop out of Gods mouth Abraham has done it.

Genesis 17:10, 22-23, God had told Abraham to circumcise his house. That same day after God had left Abraham, he circumcised every male in his house including himself at the age of 99.

It is this same Abraham that God in Genesis 18:17-19 saw it good not to hide the destruction of Sodom, citing that for Abraham children to partake of the blessings of Abraham, they must keep the way of the Lord.

It is this same man Abraham that first paid tithe. How did he come about tithing? If it came from God, Why did God told Abraham to tithe?

5 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by WinsomeX: 1:20pm On Oct 28, 2014
So we should tithe because Abraham tithed. But Abraham did a lot more things that are not binding on Christians today.

Abraham circumcised his sons. Christians are not bound to be circumcised today. Acts 15, Galatians 5.

Abraham offered burnt offerings. No Christian
does that today.

Abraham was polygamous. Christians are not.

Abraham fought wars. Christians do not necessarily fight wars.

And, lastly here, Abraham gave a tithe once from war spoils. Should Christians do the same?

As for Jesus fulfilling the law. If the law is fulfilled, what is left to be done in it? Why would Christ fulfill all the law and leave only that of tithing for Christians to fulfill?

Please attempt my questions.

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Goshen360(m): 1:24pm On Oct 28, 2014
Before we address your questions, can we also ask questions?

If we can, then:

The tithe that Abraham paid, was it IN ORDER TO BE BLESSED or because he WAS ALREADY BLESSED?

2. Did Abraham paid tithes from HIS WORKS, that's what he worked to earn or from ANOTHER MAN PROPERTIES?

3. When and where did Abraham tithe BECAME A LAW TO CHRISTIANS?

4. If tithe was later commanded in the law, do you also agree it is also nullified under the grace dispensation?

43 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by PastorKun(m): 1:30pm On Oct 28, 2014
The way some charlatans twist scripture to hold on to this obsolete doctrine of tithes is so nauseating angry the more annoying thing is that the fraudulent version of tithes they preach is totally different from the biblical one they claim to copy.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 9:37am On Oct 29, 2014
Sorry I was not true with mine write up, I had to attend to some business transaction.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 9:56am On Oct 29, 2014
THE PROCEDURE FOR TITHING

There is a saying that, "when the purpose of a thing is not known, abuse is inevitable".

Genesis 14:18-20. Abraham never tithed till he met the priest of God. Abraham took the tithe to the priest, likely to his sanctuary. :18,"Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High."

Abraham did not give his tithe to the priest till he was blessed by the priest. :19, "And he blessed him and said: "Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth." You shouldn't give your tithe to a priest who doesn't bless you. Tithe are not meant to be given to the poor, it is God's portion that the priest: the representative of God on earth takes on behalf of God.

Abraham did not give a tithe of his capital but of his increase. :20, "And blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand. And he gave him a tithe of all." Abraham gave the priest a tithe of all the spoil he got from the war not of all the goods he had in his house.

If you don't have increase, your not expected to tithe.

Your tithe is a tenth of your increase (profit) not of all you have.

You are not expected to give tithe from your capital/loss.

Tithe is not a bribe. You can't bribe God.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 10:13am On Oct 29, 2014
THE BENEFITS OF TITHING

It is erroneous to believe that giving your tithe will bring you blessing. No! Tithe is meant.

1. To bring increase from that where the tithe came from.
The pocket from where your tithe comes from is meant never to get dry as a tithe giver, because it is from that pocket that the house of God (where the priest that receive your tithe dwell) is meant to be sustained. By the tithe Abraham paid, he was immune from being defeated in any war he will go into.

2. To stop the devourer from devouring your possession.
No one is wealthy whose goods are constantly being preyed upon. This is the basis of wealth. Tithing is Gods medium of stopping all forms of prey/devourer from attacking your goods. Tithing stop the devourer in all area of your life not only in the avenue through which the tithe come from. Tithe is a spiritual insurance. By that the tithe given by Abraham, he insured all he had against the devourer.

These two benefits of tithing when it comes upon a man will make that man a blessing. Malachi 3:10-12.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by EMILO2STAY(m): 10:34am On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:
Sorry I was not true with mine write up, I had to attend to some business transaction.
lol another j j c... Go and do ur home work before coming to post somthing u've not studied properly.

14 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 10:49am On Oct 29, 2014
THE GATE OF HELL AGAINST THE PROSPERITY OF THE CHURCH OF GOD

Zechariah 1:17, "Cry yet, saying, Thus saith the LORD of host; My cities through prosperity shall yet be spread abroad; and the LORD shall yet comfort Zion, and shall yet choose Jerusalem.

The church of God doesn't spread through poverty but through prosperity. If so, how then do prosperity come to the church of God except through increasing the sources of our tithe and by stopping the devourer from afflicting us.

The major reason while some are against tithe is because they are against the spreading of the word of God. There are other reason I will speak on later.

Psalms 35:27, "Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.

God doesn't have pleasures in people against his righteous cause. People who sees the spreading of the cities of God as evil.

God takes pleasure in the prosperity of those who diligently pay their tithe for the spreading of the cities/churches/gospel of God. They will always shout for joy and be glad because they favour God's righteous cause and not that of their pastors.

Those against the paying of tithe are against the church of God. But I decree, they shall not prosper in the name of Jesus Christ.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 11:30am On Oct 29, 2014
REASONS AGAINST TITHING

1. To stop the spreading of the church/gospel of God.

The major way of financing the church of God is through tithe and offering. If this means of financing the church of God is destroyed, the church of God will go bankrupt. this will result to the end of the church of God. But by the power of God who instituted the church through prosperity and has pleasure in her prosperity, this gate of hell shall not prosper against the church of God in Jesus name.

2. To stop the prosperity of the children of God.

These people know that the pleasure of God in the prosperity of the servants of God which comes by pursuing the righteous cause of God, which include the spreading of the church and gospel of the kingdom of God causes God to pour out His blessing more on his children. To stop Gods blessing from coming to His children, they want to make them stop whatsoever that brought them into that blessing.

Never in the history of the church has the church of God had such prosperity as it is now. This is because, they have discovered the blue print of heaven open window. I see an uprising trying to reverse history and put the church in bondage again. Some of these people are doing this in ignorance while some knowingly.

3 ENVY

Many will not easily recgnise this a the reason for preaching against tithing, but it is. What those speaking against tithing, there are envious of big churches. They will tell you, what are they using all those tithe and offering being generated in the church for? Why are the churches not paying tax? They build schools/hospital with poor peoples money from tithe for the rich? and so on and so forth.

Act 13:45, "but when the jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming."

What caused the envy above? the prosperity of the church of God and its happening again right now. Some will tell you there are christian, but know better now. Philippians 1:15, "Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife;and some also of good will:" not every preacher is a true preacher. Neither is anyone with the title pastor a true pastor of the gospel of God.

For those who stand with God, they shall see the salvation of God when he has turned this envy against his church against these people while making Himself known to his people whose stood by Him (Ezekiel 35:11).

4. HATRED

The church is too careless. The people are taking their simplicity for a ride. Proverb 14:15, "The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going." Proverb 22:3. I have always advocate that every christian be a student of the word of God to avoid being deceived (Psaml 119:130).

The world/devil hate the church and he will do anything to bring her down. even if it means becoming a pastor to achieve this the devil will do it.

We should always look at the big picture.

What is the reason for this?

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by nora544: 11:50am On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:
REASONS AGAINST TITHING

1. To stop the spreading of the church/gospel of God.

The major way of financing the church of God is through tithe and offering. If this means of financing the church of God is destroyed, the church of God will go bankrupt. this will result to the end of the church of God. But by the power of God who instituted the church through prosperity and has pleasure in her prosperity, this gate of hell shall not prosper against the church of God in Jesus name.

2. To stop the prosperity of the children of God.

These people know that the pleasure of God in the prosperity of the servants of God which comes by pursuing the righteous cause of God, which include the spreading of the church and gospel of the kingdom of God causes God to pour out His blessing more on his children. To stop Gods blessing from coming to His children, they want to make them stop whatsoever that brought them into that blessing.

Never in the history of the church has the church of God had such prosperity as it is now. This is because, they have discovered the blue print of heaven open window. I see an uprising trying to reverse history and put the church in bondage again. Some of these people are doing this in ignorance while some knowingly.

3 ENVY

Many will not easily recgnise this a the reason for preaching against tithing, but it is. What those speaking against tithing, there are envious of big churches. They will tell you, what are they using all those tithe and offering being generated in the church for? Why are the churches not paying tax? They build schools/hospital with poor peoples money from tithe for the rich? and so on and so forth.

Act 13:45, "but when the jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming."

What caused the envy above? the prosperity of the church of God and its happening again right now. Some will tell you there are christian, but know better now. Philippians 1:15, "Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife;and some also of good will:" not every preacher is a true preacher. Neither is anyone with the title pastor a true pastor of the gospel of God.

For those who stand with God, they shall see the salvation of God when he has turned this envy against his church against these people while making Himself known to his people whose stood by Him (Ezekiel 35:11).

4. HATRED

The church is too careless. The people are taking their simplicity for a ride. Proverb 14:15, "The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going." Proverb 22:3. I have always advocate that every christian be a student of the word of God to avoid being deceived (Psaml 119:130).

The world/devil hate the church and he will do anything to bring her down. even if it means becoming a pastor to achieve this the devil will do it.

We should always look at the big picture.

What is the reason for this?

sorry that is not right and that is what the pentecost/charimatic pastors preach but it will only enrich themself and many followers will lose all because christians should give and since when it is only money it could also be time but this is not what the pastor want because it will not fill his pockets,
since when God is a money printing machine.

9 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 11:51am On Oct 29, 2014
CAN YOUR 10% OF YOUR INCREASE MAKE YOU POOR?

The simple minded don't ask questions, they swallow everything. And when they do ask, they ask the wrong question and are enslaved the more.

Can 10% of your increase make you poor?

I made a profit of 1000 naira, will giving God or my pastor 100 naira make me poor? What 900 naira can't do for me, will 100 naira do it for me? No, I made a profit of 10,000,000 naira. Will giving God 1,000,000 and taking 9,000,000 make me poor?

How do we prove our sincerity in following God if we find parting with 10% of our increase a burden?

What is 10% of our increase that we cannot give to God. No, lets assume there is not reward for tithing. Ok we will prefer spending 30% of our earning in drinking and partying than giving God 10% of our increase.

I gave mine first salary to the church I worship though it was not mine church and from that day mine relationship with God entered the next level. When I gave this money, there was no means of transporting myself to work. But the faithfulness of God provided for me and I have long passed that level.

Infact after this giving, God lead me to a scripture where told Moses that no one should partake of the covenant of the passover who has not partaken of the covenant of circumcision.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 11:51am On Oct 29, 2014
nora544:

sorry that is not right and that is what the pentecost/charimatic pastors preach but it will only enrich themself and many followers will lose all because christians should give and since when it is only money it could also be time but this is not what the pastor want because it will not fill his pockets,
since when God is a money printing machine.

How do God spread his church?
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by PastorKun(m): 1:40pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

How do God spread his church?

Stop deceiving people here, God does not need your tithe and God can grow his church without your likes twisting his word to extort money from believers.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 1:43pm On Oct 29, 2014
PastorKun:

Stop deceiving people here, God does not need your tithe and God can grow his church without your likes twisting his word to extort money from believers.

I don't pick on a topic for nothing, check out all the topics I have taken up to put things straight.

5 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by WinsomeX: 2:16pm On Oct 29, 2014
^^^ pls answer the questions directed at you in the earlier posts. We can start from there. Good write up by the way.

10 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 2:29pm On Oct 29, 2014
WinsomeX:
^^^ pls answer the questions directed at you in the earlier posts. We can start from there. Good write up by the way.

I dislike repetition, why should I continue to say the same thing over and over again. Read the write up and ask me any question and I will answer you, if it is not already answered in the this write up.

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by WinsomeX: 2:58pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

I dislike repetition, why should I continue to say the same thing over and over again. Read the write up and ask me any question and I will answer you, if it is not already answered in the this write up.

Sorry bros, no offense. Here are my questions again. Thanks.

WinsomeX:

And, lastly here, Abraham gave a tithe once from war spoils. Should Christians do the same?

As for Jesus fulfilling the law. If the law is fulfilled, what is left to be done in it?

Why would Christ fulfill all the law and leave only that of tithing for Christians to fulfill?

Please attempt my questions.

6 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 3:05pm On Oct 29, 2014
WinsomeX:

Sorry bros, no offense. Here are my questions again. Thanks.

You did not read my post if not you will not ask the first question.

Abraham gave his increase (which was the spoil of war) as at the time he met the priest. God for bids war now so your increase from war now is against Gods principle.

Tithe has been in existence before the law, for the law came by Moses who came years after Abraham and Jacob who had already paid tithe.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by RedReact: 4:28pm On Oct 29, 2014
Bro OP,

Your arguments for tithing hold no [SPIRITUAL] value at all.
In fact, you are doing more harm and damage.

Stay blessed!!!

22 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by plaetton: 4:45pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:
THE PROCEDURE FOR TITHING

There is a saying that, "when the purpose of a thing is not known, abuse is inevitable".

Genesis 14:18-20. Abraham never tithed till he met the priest of God. Abraham took the tithe to the priest, likely to his sanctuary. :18,"Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High."

Abraham did not give his tithe to the priest till he was blessed by the priest. :19, "And he blessed him and said: "Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth." You shouldn't give your tithe to a priest who doesn't bless you. Tithe are not meant to be given to the poor, it is God's portion that the priest: the representative of God on earth takes on behalf of God.

Abraham did not give a tithe of his capital but of his increase. :20, "And blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand. And he gave him a tithe of all." Abraham gave the priest a tithe of all the spoil he got from the war not of all the goods he had in his house.

You are not expected to give tithe from your capital/loss.

Tithe is not a bribe. You can't bribe God.
If tithe is not a bribe, then what is it, since it is obligatory?
Is it tribute?
Is it slave tax?
Is it a spiritual shakedown, considering that it comes with a threat of a devourer as the enforcer, similar to a mafia extortion racket?

If tithing isr important in life or in the spiritual, would Jesus, supposed son god and saviour of mankind, not have emphasized it in his many teachings?
Jesus emphasized kindness, love, charity, sharing with the poor, caring for the sick, not collecting from the very same people you should be giving to.
I can see why charlatans like the op would ignore the teachings of Jesus, usherrer of the new covenant, to focus his greedy and avaricious eyes on Abraham's spoils of war as a basis to live fat on the avails of other.

What a shame.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by WinsomeX: 5:06pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

You did not read my post if not you will not ask the first question.

I read the bit I could. Also, when you venture on a thread like this to teach others, you should be patient enough to hear what they have to say too in case there is something in it for you to learn too. I do not do hit and run comments. I do thorough discussions. I request that you patiently discuss your position. I can assure you I will not insult you or even try to change your mind. I will simply ask for your understanding. That's all.

jdilight:

Abraham gave his increase (which was the spoil of war) as at the time he met the priest. God for bids war now so your increase from war now is against Gods principle.

My question was if Abraham gave tithes of war spoils and did so once, and as Christians you are urging us to tithe like he did, why don't we also tithe once and tithe of war spoils? Your answer is that Abraham tithed war spoils (my position too); and we are not to fight wars as Christians, since God forbids war. Which is not true.

Warfare is a legitimate work that some of us must do, Christian and none Christians, to protect the sovereignty of our countries from external aggression or internal rebellion like Boko Haram. There is not one scripture that teaches Christians should not wage war.

Now, why did Abraham tithe? Go to Hebrew 7. He tithed so as to demonstrate the greatness of the Melchizedek priesthood. In Hebrew 7, the writer was showing Jewish Christians why Christ was to be worshipped. He enumerated three reason, all taking from the Genesis 14 account

1. Abraham tithe: If Abraham is seen to tithe to Melchi, then Aaron tithed to him too. Therefore the one receiving tithes now, tithed in Abraham. But Melchi is likened to Christ. Melchi who received tithes is greater than Aaron who gave it. Therefore, Christ was greater.
2. Melchizedek blessed Abraham: it takes the greater to bless the lesser.
3. Melchizedek priesthood was immortal: Aaron priesthood was mortal, that of Christ immortal.

That all the scripture was saying and that why the account of Gen 14 is in the bible. I have asked you if you insist that you tithe bc Abraham did, why don't you circumcise like he did on the eight day; why do you not give burnt offerings; why do you not practice polygamy?

jdilight:

Tithe has been in existence before the law, for the law came by Moses who came years after Abraham and Jacob who had already paid tithe.

Yes indeed. The pagan nation of Babylon gave tithes of war spoils long before the law. An example Abraham was imitating. Jacob promised to tithe but God reenacted that promise in the law in Leviticus 27.

Finally, what you call the tithe today is not the tithe of the bible. In Abraham, the tithe was a tenth of war spoils. By the time of the law, the tithe was of the seed of the ground, fruit of the tree and tenth of the herd, in order words, the tithes where from agric produce. Jesus testified to this when he mentioned that the tithes included mint, cummin and anise, all food spices in Matthew 23:23. A tithe of money or salary is foreign to the whole bible.

Proof of the fact that the tithe changed from war spoils in Abraham time to agric products, was that in Num 31, Israel was not instructed to tithe the war spoils they received.

Look forward to your response.

17 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 6:12pm On Oct 29, 2014
plaetton:

If tithe is not a bribe, then what is it, since it is obligatory?
Is it tribute?
Is it slave tax?
Is it a spiritual shakedown, considering that it comes with a threat of a devourer as the enforcer, similar to a mafia extortion racket?

If tithing for important in life or in the spiritual, would Jesus, supposed son god and saviour of mankind, not have emphasized it in his many teachings?
Jesus emphasized kindness, love, charity, sharing with the poor, caring for the sick, not collecting from the very same people you should be giving to.
I can see why charlatans like the op would ignore the teachings of Jesus, usherrer of the new covenant, to focus his greedy and avaricious eyes on Abraham's spoils of war as a basis to live fat on the avails of other.

As I said earlier, when superior argument show up inferior opinion retort to accusation. People who are sincere in knowing the things of God about tithing will always make reference to this post till nairaland go down.
What a shame.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by plaetton: 6:14pm On Oct 29, 2014
[quote author=jdilight post=27558656][/quote]

In other words, you have run out gibberish to post?

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by jdilight(m): 6:59pm On Oct 29, 2014
WinsomeX:

I read the bit I could. Also, when you venture on a thread like this to teach others, you should be patient enough to hear what they have to say too in case there is something in it for you to learn too. I do not do hit and run comments. I do thorough discussions. I request that you patiently discuss your position. I can assure you I will not insult you or even try to change your mind. I will simply ask for your understanding. That's all.

My question was if Abraham gave tithes of war spoils and did so once, and as Christians you are urging us to tithe like he did, why don't we also tithe once and tithe of war spoils? Your answer is that Abraham tithed war spoils (my position too); and we are not to fight wars as Christians, since God forbids war. Which is not true.

Warfare is a legitimate work that some of us must do, Christian and none Christians, to protect the sovereignty of our countries from external aggression or internal rebellion like Boko Haram. There is not one scripture that teaches Christians should not wage war.

Now, why did Abraham tithe? Go to Hebrew 7. He tithed so as to demonstrate the greatness of the Melchizedek priesthood. In Hebrew 7, the writer was showing Jewish Christians why Christ was to be worshipped. He enumerated three reason, all taking from the Genesis 14 account

1. Abraham tithe: If Abraham is seen to tithe to Melchi, then Aaron tithed to him too. Therefore the one receiving tithes now, tithed in Abraham. But Melchi is likened to Christ. Melchi who received tithes is greater than Aaron who gave it. Therefore, Christ was greater.
2. Melchizedek blessed Abraham: it takes the greater to bless the lesser.
3. Melchizedek priesthood was immortal: Aaron priesthood was mortal, that of Christ immortal.

That all the scripture was saying and that why the account of Gen 14 is in the bible. I have asked you if you insist that you tithe bc Abraham did, why don't you circumcise like he did on the eight day; why do you not give burnt offerings; why do you not practice polygamy?

Yes indeed. The pagan nation of Babylon gave tithes of war spoils long before the law. An example Abraham was imitating. Jacob promised to tithe but God reenacted that promise in the law in Leviticus 27.

Finally, what you call the tithe today is not the tithe of the bible. In Abraham, the tithe was a tenth of war spoils. By the time of the law, the tithe was of the seed of the ground, fruit of the tree and tenth of the herd, in order words, the tithes where from agric produce. Jesus testified to this when he mentioned that the tithes included mint, cummin and anise, all food spices in Matthew 23:23. A tithe of money or salary is foreign to the whole bible.

Proof of the fact that the tithe changed from war spoils in Abraham time to agric products, was that in Num 31, Israel was not instructed to tithe the war spoils they received.

Look forward to your response.

I don't think I told you anywhere in my post to tithe like Abraham. My bringing Abraham here is to show that tithe existed before the law.

I want to correct a misconception. From your post, you point to the fact that tithe are given to pastors. But that is not true. Even in malachi 3 where many draw the idea of tithe. God said the tithe was His even though it was meant to keep food in the house of God. Now is the tither greater than God.

I don't tithe because Abraham did, neither do I urge people to tithe because Abraham tithed. I tithe so that there will be food in the house of God and that the gospel of Christ will spread to all. It is my love for God that make me tithe. I love God more than money.

If tithing was wrong, why did God reenacted it in lev 27 according to you?

If the tithe changed from war spoil to agricultural goods while can't it can to money now taking into consideration what made it change. Now did Jacob promise to tithe to God war spoil or agricultural goods?

What is the reason for tithe?

8 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Liekiller(f): 7:34pm On Oct 29, 2014
Let me make a suggestion: use your heart and common sense. Maybe also ASK YOURSELF WHAT JESUS WOULD HAVE DONE. Conclusion: pay school fees for a poor kid instead of making a scam pastor richer. Bring your Xmas goat to a poor family instead of to a rich pastor. Help the homeless get a home instead of financing yet another private jet for a scam pastor. Wouldn't that be the true Christian spirit?!??

57 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by WinsomeX: 7:39pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

I don't think I told you anywhere in my post to tithe like Abraham. My bringing Abraham here is to show that tithe existed before the law.

Anc if it exists before the law, then what? I agree you didn't say tithe like Abraham. But why else did you bring up Abraham tithing?

jdilight:

I want to correct a misconception. From your post, you point to the fact that tithe are given to pastors. But that is not true. Even in malachi 3 where many draw the idea of tithe. God said the tithe was His even though it was meant to keep food in the house of God. Now is the tither greater than God.

I did not say anywhere that tithes are given yo pastors. Whoever it is given to, tithing is not a Christian obligation.

In the OT tithing, firstfruit, various offerings were means of provision in tge temple. Today, it is freewill offering. It could be 0%, 1%, 10%, 50%, 100%; only as they giver determine. There is no law or obligation to give, than yo give as we are compelled by God to.

jdilight:

I don't tithe because Abraham did, neither do I urge people to tithe because Abraham tithed. I tithe so that there will be food in the house of God and that the gospel of Christ will spread to all. It is my love for God that make me tithe. I love God more than money.

Read Luke 10, Matthew 10, Luke 6, 1 Corinthian 9, 2 Cor 9:7, Phillipians 4, etc, and various other NT scriptures and see how God commanded provision in the church. Modern day monetary tithing has no basis in scriptures. It was invented by men - it is a doctrine of men.

jdilight:

If the tithe changed from war spoil to agricultural goods while can't it can to money now taking into consideration what made it change. Now did Jacob promise to tithe to God war spoil or agricultural goods?

If the tithe has changed to money, scriptures will tell us. Abraham tithed war spoils of his own accord. God commanded the tithes under the law. That's all. There is no command to tithe money in all the bibld, neither is there an example of it.

Jacob promised to tithe what God gives him. Scripture didn't tell us what. Scriptures also does not record Jacob tithing anywhere. But Gen 32, I think, that records Jacob tithing showed that Jacob VOWED to tithe and other thing. In Lev. 27, God was speakings about vows and how Jacob/Israel was to fulfill them. That chapter ends with God giving the law on tithe for the first time in the bible. There we find what we call the biblical. In other words Jacob/Israel fulfilled his vow to tithe after all, through his descendants.

jdilight:

If tithing was wrong, why did God reenacted it in lev 27 according to you?

`1. To provide fof the priestshood. We don't have priests anymore.
2. So Jacob might fulfill his vow.

jdilight:

What is the reason for tithe?

To provide for the Levithical priesthood that do not exist today.

10 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Zikkyy(m): 7:44pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

Tithe are not meant to be given to the poor,

Tithe are not meant for the poor? What about Deuteronomy 14:28-29? You think God lied when he said the tithe should be shared with the poor?

Deuteronomy 14:28-29(KJV)
28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Zikkyy(m): 7:57pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

Abraham did not give a tithe of his increase cos he did not see accept that the loot was his. besides, Abraham gave a tithe of the loot before it was shared; i.e. before the Amorite took their share.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Zikkyy(m): 8:02pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

Says who? BTW, increase is not the same thing as profit. The Israelite did not tithe profit. Abraham did not tithe profit.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Zikkyy(m): 8:06pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

THE BENEFITS OF TITHING

It is erroneous to believe that giving your tithe will bring you blessing. No! Tithe is meant.

1. To bring increase from that where the tithe came from.
The pocket from where your tithe comes from is meant never to get dry as a tithe giver, because it is from that pocket that the house of God (where the priest that receive your tithe dwell) is meant to be sustained. By the tithe Abraham paid, he was immune from being defeated in any war he will go into.

This is new. am sure pro-tithers will not agree with this.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

10 Sermons Most Young Ladies Will Likely Turn Deaf Ears To / Father Mbaka Speaks On Biafra, IPOB (Video) / About The High Rate Of Immoral Sex Amongst Young People Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.