Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:47 AM

Girls must be girls - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Girls must be girls (4516 Views)

African Story Challenge Health Cycle Open For Entries. ($20,000 For 20 Projects) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 9:00am On Oct 22, 2013
reserved
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 9:01am On Oct 22, 2013
reserved
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 9:26am On Oct 22, 2013
Ojo street was especially empty. It was one of those days when the sky would cry long enough to disrupt any trade business but not hard enough to provide water for the labourers down the street who need it for the ongoing building.
Bummi dropped the curtain when she saw her bestfriend,patience walk through the gate. She moved over to the door and opened it swiftly to let patience in.
''And i thought you were being attacked or something'' patience frowned as she looked around the room without luck for something to dry her wet self. ''Am telling my mum it's you if i catch a cold''
Bummi laughed and feigned a wince.
''Let me go get a towel for you. I will be back in a jiffy'' she trotted into the house and was back in less than a minute.
She threw an orange coloured towel at patience who caught it with zest and towelled herself thankfully.
''Now what's the matter?'' patience asked bummi as she flinged the towel to the chair nearby.
''problem? I never said there was a problem,did i?'' she gave a provocative smile that strucked patience numb.
''you mean i risked catching a fever,abandoned my chores and nearly slumped on my way here just to come over and see your not-so-pretty face?'' patience protested.
''something like that'' Bummi let out a light laugh. ''And i wanted to see your face too''
''so that's what sos mean?'' patience asked.
''you didn't really think i was under an attack? Did you?'' Bummi asked with an almost serious face.
Patience hissed lightly and fell to the chair behind her. She sulked.
''comeon pat'' Bummi cried,trying to get a response from her friend who had refused to speak in the last minute. ''i was lonely and i needed my bestie''
still patience remained mute,now her mid finger danced in her mouth.
'' I was losing my mind over here. I couldn't stop thinking about whether to tell my mum about my dad or not.''
That got patience attention. She withdrew her finger from her mouth and sat upright.
'' Have you confirmed it?'' she asked bummi keenly.
''No i haven't'' Bummi bit her lower lips in regret. ''But it's obvious,isn't it?''
'' Do you expect me to answer that for you?'' patience smiled and got up frantically. '' Am farnished,do you guys have anything to eat?''
'' There's a bread in the fridge'' Bummi answered without looking up.
Her mind wandered some place else. She weighed the several thought on her mind. The result were not as she would have it.
'' Well i think you should tell your mother'' patience voice pulled her back to reality.
'' Tell me what?'' mrs shola called,as she pushed the door opened and walked in,dripping water all over the tiled floor.
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 9:45am On Oct 22, 2013
''oh welcome mum'' Bummi gasped uneasily.
''welcome ma'' patience greeted more comfortably and mrs shola acknowledged them with her eye brows.
''so patience'' mrs shola placed her bag on top of a cushion. '' what should Bummi tell her mum'' she said dramatically.
''oh nothing important ma. You don't need to worry about anything'' patience forced a smile.
'' Am not worried. But i still want to hear what she should tell me.''
Bummi shot her eyes in anticipation and prayed to whoever was in charge of lies to help her friend out with a very good one just this once. She promised never to ask again.
''ehm,she was wondering if you would let her come with me to kenedy's party this week''
Bummi almost leaped from her seat. Firstly,she wanted to hug her bestfriend for a lied well said and then give her a slap for speaking about a party. She knew her mother hated anything that linked her to a party.
''you know how i feel about parties especially when it comes to Bummi'' mrs shola complained.
''yes ma but this one is quite harmless'' patience tried several smiles to influence mrs shola's counternance but she failed. ''it's just a birthday party''
''Right'' mrs sholay usherred sarcastically. '' wasn't it just a birthday party that made her a mother?'' she was speaking to patience but stared at her daughter.
''yes ma it was but this time it will be different'' patience said and Bummi smiled within.
She totally expected her mother's question to put patience off but apparently even questions from a fine lawyer couldn't unbalance her bestfried.
Mrs shola sighed and paused in thought. She looked from he daughter to patience back to her daughter and again to patience.
'' How would it be different this time?'' she asked. It sounded like a final question.
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 10:18am On Oct 22, 2013
''once beaten,twice shy'' patience replied. ''she would never make the same mistake again and moreover,she would be going with me instead-'' she stopped.
''well said barrister'' mrs shola complimented and patience smiled. ''she turned face her daughter and put up the motherly face. ''you can go with her'' she said provoking a light jubilation from patience. ''but only on one condition'' she added and patience froze abruptly.
''i knew nothing good comes easy'' patience stated sadly and mrs shola laughed.
''i was pulling your legs' there's no condition''
''Thank you very much ma'' a wide smile fleetingly erupted all over patience face.
''you are welcome''
''thanks mum'' Bummi said coldly with a faint smile on her face and her mother nodded.
''okay girls,i need to rest. Tough day today'' mrs sholay picked up her bga and walked gangly out out the living room.
''phew!'' Bummi heaved when her mother was out of sight. '' that was close''
''yeah yeah'' patience said with her nose up. '' and i saved the day like i always do.''she gloated.
''more like almost ruined it'' bummi rolled her eyes at her friend. '' i can't remember telling you to get a pass for me to a party''
''i had to improvise or would you rather i said the truth?'' patience eyes popped and bummi nodded NO. ''i thought so too''
''well am not actually going to the party'' bummi declared.
''like hell,you are. Your mum would know i lied if you don't. And moreover i know you really want to go'' she stucked her tongue out.
''pat,i really don't know about it'' Bummi's forehead knitted it worry.
''loosen up babe. Nothing is going to go wrong. I will be ther remember!'' she made a face that made Bummi smile.
''so back to the matter,are you going to tell your mum?'' patience asked.
''About what?''
''the messages you saw on your dad's phone of course. Whatelse will i be talking about?'' she shot bummi a dirty look.
''so you really want me to tell the woman that i think her husband is cheating on her because i happened to see some suspicious texts while going through his phone; which at first i wasn't suppose to go through?''
''you make it look as difficult as climbing mount everest'' patience said in frustration. ''But yes,i think your mum derserves to know'' she said moderately high.
''shsss'' Bummi hushed her. '' bring your voice down or do you want to go through the explaination again?''
''all i am saying is that she's bound to know at the end but it might be better if she knows now'' patience said in a husky voice. ''don't you see what happens in movies?''
''good thing you said movies. This is real life pat''
''movies are mirrors of reality. Haven't they thought you that?'' patience teased.
''it happens only in hollywood movies pat. This is nollywood.'' bummi stuck out her tongue.
''if you say so''. Patience retreated. ''so where is your dad now?''
''dunno,maybe he's in school or something''
''Today is saturday. School on saturday?'' patience raised her eye brows.
''yeah... It's possible. Maybe he fixed a makeup class or ... I don't know''
''or he is with Angel today...'' patience hesitated a while. '' doing things'' she winked.
''stop it joor. You don't know that''
''yes ma'am'' she pushed her nose up. ''how about your vampire twin. Where's she on a sunless day?''
''probably taunting a poor soul to death. God knows i don't want to know''
There was silence
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 7:14am On Oct 25, 2013
''There's your husband'' Ronke pointed right as mr shola drove into the church compound. ''oh my bad,he is just your baby daddy'' she smirked.
''who do you have to be a bitch?'' Bummi shot at her sister.
''it's better than getting pregnant at this age..'' ronke fired back.
''knock it off girls. We are in the house of God'' mr shola called from the drivers seat as he pulled the car keys from the ignition.
''we are still outside,dad'' ronke said unremorsefully. '' let her get what she incurred''.
''are you incapable of saying something unabusive?'' bummi said tearfully.
''aww... Did i hurt your-''
''shut up both of you'' mrs shola snapped and went out of the car.
Ronke followed but not before smirking at bummi and mouthing something that sounded like 'see you after mass' and swaggered into the magnificent building.
''don't mind your sister'' her father consolled. ''she's just being immature''
she nodded and smiled at him. He mostly had her back.
''i will see you inside? Will you be okay?'' mr shola asked with genuine concern.
''yes dad''
''okay then'' he locked the drivers door and left.
It was just bummi and her baby left in the car now. She took the baby by the waist and smiled.
''you are going to see daddy today'' she said tenderly and kissed her baby on the forehead.
She alighted from the vehicle,shut the door and went into the church
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 7:29am On Oct 25, 2013
The atmosphere of saint patrick's catholic church was saintly. Soft dry air engaged the room as the morning sun reflected on the tinted windows.
The church was unexpectedly filled to the brim. Bummi scouted for an available space along the pews. She found none but one just by kelvin's side.
She swiftly surveyed the entire church another time,praying in between to find another seat but non appeared. She looked behind her and noticed a middle-aged lady equally scouting for a seat. Before the lady could take noticed of the space beside kelvin,bummi trotted and dumped herself on the hard pew.
''hi'' she said,uneasy.
''hi'' he responded without looking at her. Unlike her,he showed no sign of nervousness or concern. He was just the typical kelvin.
She could feel the air growing thin around her. She fidgeted lightly as her arms unintentionally touched his.
The tone from the piano and the voice of the choiristers signaling that the procession was about to begin,saved her. The cross-bearer first entered the church followed by the other alterservers and the priest. Everyone arose from their seats.
''in the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit'' the priest's solemnly voice worked magic as it filtered through the speakers. It silenced every thought running through bummi's mind.
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 10:33am On Oct 25, 2013
''go in peace,the mass is ended'' the priest said through the alter microphone.
''thanks be to God'' the congregation chorused. Then the choir took over.
After the mass,multitude of persons thronged outside the church building through the mini-walkway that was aptly attached to the church entrance.
Bummi walked steadily on the pavement,trying to manuovre her way through the chattering crowd as she skimmed through for kelvin. She scolded herself as the wondered how she had lost him. She search from every group of men or women or youths. She still didn't find him.
She peered down at the baby strapped to her chest by her hand and was about to say something when she felt a tap on her shoulder.
''looking for someone?'' kelvin smiled as she turned back to see who it was that tapped her. ''sorry i had to check on someone at the sachristy'' she smiled back.
''hi...'' he said excitedly to his son as he stretched his hand to carry him.
Bummi tenderly placed the baby on his hand for the first time that day,she felt like no one was throttling her.
She smiled as she saw him cuddle the child tenderly and was about to escaped into the crowd when he touched her.
What now? She stopped breathing.
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 12:40pm On Oct 25, 2013
''what? You know the drill,don't you?'' she asked and he nodded in affirmation. How could he forget what had become a tradition. Sundays were the only day he got to see his son though he craved for an extention.
''can't we just talk?'' he said quite friendly. Way too friendly for his standard.
Bummi froze as though she had seen her late grand father. Not that she would recognize him if she saw him. He died long before she was born.
''talk?'' she asked coldly. It still felt like she was speaking to her gramps. ''since when do we talk?'' an unusual courage surged through her. She felt she could fly.
''well since today'' he was smiling a lot. ''i just feel that its high time we stopped being kids and just grow up. We can't undo what happened in the past but we can at least have a friendly future. So why don't we?'' he beamed.
''hmm.. Nice speech obama'' she commented.
''thanks'' he smiled. ''so what says you?'' he prompted. ''we could call it a truce if you want. Only that it will last forever.''
Bummi looked at saint mary's grotto which was at her three o clock. She thought she saw mary smile.
''okay. Agreed. We have a truce. So what are the terms?'' she said,still looking at mary.
Terms? Kelvin echoed in his head. He hadn't thought she would agree so easily let alone give room for terms but now that she had,he could as well push his lucks.
''terms...'' he emphasized. ''for starters,we could begin by saying a lot more than a dry hi when we see in church,school or elsewhere'' bummi nodded in agreement. She had wanted that too. She hated it when they behaved like enemies and the akward times when they had to do things closely like sit close to eachother.
''then i could see junior more'' he said in a timid voice. She raised her eye brows suspiciously at him. '' at your house of course'' he added before she could say anything.
She went mute. Her silence killed him and she had a look on her face that he read as, 'so this have been your plan all along'...
Re: Girls must be girls by Winnie1950(f): 1:28pm On Oct 25, 2013
Promising story. It looks like a love story 2 me. I like romance alot. Definitely following.
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 1:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
Winnie1950: Promising story. It looks like a love story 2 me. I like romance alot. Definitely following.
alas! Someone comment. A thousand tnx
Re: Girls must be girls by Joy4mi(f): 1:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
Diamondwriter: alas! Someone comment. A thousand tnx
I wanted to comment b4 too but i want to b sure d writer is serious abt updating.
I am already into d story,hope u dont disappoint on updates o.like the last story u wrote(seduction)

Ff ur writeup. Gud job so far.
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 2:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
Joy4mi:
I wanted to comment b4 too but i want to b sure d writer is serious abt updating.
I am already into d story,hope u dont disappoint on updates o.like the last story u wrote(seduction)

Ff ur writeup. Gud job so far.
tnx... Am gonna beat myself to seriousness
Re: Girls must be girls by princesa(f): 2:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
Following smiley
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 2:14pm On Oct 25, 2013
princesa: Following smiley
one of nairaland's finest is following :-) great!
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 2:35pm On Oct 25, 2013
She thought for a moment and then sighed like a sage.
''it could be arranged'' she said.
''yeah!'' he restricted himself from hugging her. Maybe because he thought that he could get a slap for it. Either way he was happy that she agreed.
''thanks a lot,bummi'' he said intensely,like a ten year old whose mother had just returned from the market. ''you know i have been so scared to talk to you''
''why is that?'' bummi tried to conceal her shock.
''well,i felt you hated me so i wanted to avoid any embarrasement'' he said and she laughed at the irony. ''it's true'' he said,obviously oblivious of why she laughed.
''so what gave you the courage today?''
''well i have been thinking about it for a while now. Gathering courage.'' he smiled to sustain the mood. '' and today's homily added a boost. A lot of courage to it'' he paused. ''or is it determination?'' she pushed out her lower lips in ignorance.
''there's an adage that says;if you don't have the courage,you might as well have determination. Both will get you to the same place.'' he stopped.
''who said that?'' she asked with interest
''read it in one of lisa scottoline's nove'' he smiled proudly.
''oh,you still read novels huh?''
''yeah. I never stopped. It fill the void in my-''
''okay okay. I have heard you shakespare. No need to start quoting now.''
he laughed and a comfortable silence took over.
''i should get going now.'' she said as she noticed her sister coming towards them.
''okay then. See you later.... Friend'' he stretched his hand in handshake and she accepted it.
Ronke was already arms stretch away from them.
''bye'' she said and trotted away,ignoring her sister's questioning eyes.
''what was that about'' ronke asked as she stopped face him.
'' i have arranged my entry into the castle.'' he answered.
''castle?''
''i mean i now have a pass to come into your house to see you,princess. Bummi said yes'' he smiled gallantly.
''what! No she didn't''
''yes she did. Isn't that what you wanted?'' his smile faded.
''me?wanted? You mistake me for someone else kev. I only told you that because i thought it was one of the things you could never be able to get. I guess i was wrong'' she looked down regretably.
''yes darling. Now we can see more of eachother. '' he smiled and reached for her hands. She slapped off his.
''don't ever call me that again'' she hissed and left him dumbfounded.
Re: Girls must be girls by Winnie1950(f): 3:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
Betrayal!! Oh no!
Re: Girls must be girls by princesa(f): 3:18pm On Oct 25, 2013
Good, speedy updates it is. Just you really need to space your dialogues.

Diamondwriter:
one of nairaland's finest is following smiley great!

you flatter me so. Am gonna be here, i think i'd love the plot.wink
Re: Girls must be girls by tmamuda(m): 4:05pm On Oct 25, 2013
Followin cool
Re: Girls must be girls by chistar01(m): 6:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
Hmmm... Already addicted. *following*
Re: Girls must be girls by Joy4mi(f): 7:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
tanx for keepin to ur promise Diamond.
Betrayal among sistas is sometin i dislike.
Nice update
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 7:55pm On Oct 25, 2013
princesa: Good, speedy updates it is. Just you really need to space your dialogue
noted. Wud work on it

1 Like

Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 8:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
tmamuda: Followin cool
welcome boss
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 8:02pm On Oct 25, 2013
chistar01: Hmmm... Already addicted. *following*
hehe... D grammy award winner iz here!
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 8:02pm On Oct 25, 2013
Joy4mi: tanx for keepin to ur promise Diamond.
Betrayal among sistas is sometin i dislike.
Nice update
tnx joy
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 8:03pm On Oct 25, 2013
@all. I wantd to drop one last update tonight but phcn did deir tin just now. Am gonna push it to 2morow morning then. Gdnyt
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 7:22am On Oct 26, 2013
''dear diary,today i met baby daddy and he was looking exceptionally handsome. Well,i told him he could come over to my house whenever. I think i still have feelings for him'' Ronke teased as she entered the room on Bummi writing on her diary.
''don't you have somewhere else to be?'' bummi shot her a dirty look.
''i have somewhere to be for sure. My room'' ronke smirked. ''don't you have something better to do than write your stupid diary?''
''it doesn't concern you'' bummi looked down on her diary and continued writing.
''why did you tell kelvin he could come here anytime he wants? Do you want to get pregnant again?'' sarcasm filled ronke's voice.
''who told you i told him so?'' bummi dropped her pen again.
''i read your mind. Dummy! Who else? I saw him in church today too''
''so he just told you?'' bummi said in an almost sobbing voice.
''am sorry,was it suppose to be top secret?'' ronke teased.
Bummi ignored her and fell back to her writing. Minutes later,she heard her dad call her name and then her sister's.....
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 7:24am On Oct 26, 2013
About the dialogue spacing,sorry i hv tried to space it beta,in vain. My fone is just being dumb. Gdmorning
Re: Girls must be girls by Joy4mi(f): 7:36am On Oct 26, 2013
tanx for the update.
I am beginning to dislike ronke's xter.
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 7:38am On Oct 26, 2013
Their parents were sitted comfortably on the couch when the girls walked in slugglishly into the living room. They both took their seats far enough from eachother afterwards a cold silence swept through the room.
''okay let's talk'' mr shola spoke after savouring the short pacific. He looked over to his wife like he expected her to say something. She ignored his stare and looked the other way. ''okay let's talk'' he said again like a confused man.
''you have said that before. Say something else.'' ronke remarked unpleasantly.
He stared daggers at her and at the same time wondered how his sweet kid transformed to the arrogant homo sapien before him.
''mrs lizzy called today'' he stated in an almost excited state.
''who's mrs lizzy'' ronke asked with a sour look.
''i wasn't talking to you missy'' he turned faced bummi. ''bummi you remember her,right?''
The name registered in her head. She first heard that name months ago,when she just delivered junior. Her school counsellor had advised her to consider putting her baby for adoption if she couldn't handle the pressure. She had spoken to her parents about it and one person let to another and another and than to mrs lizzy,the adoption agent.
''yes dad i remember her'' bummi's voice sounded like death.
''good. Well she called with some good news. They have found a couple!'' mr shola was totally oblivious of the change in his daughter's mood.
Bummi sighed bitterly,stared at her mother who equally looked moody and silence broke loose. She had totally forgotten about the whole adoption idea until now. Not that she was having a rosy life being a teenage mother but she finally found a balance somewhere between being a mother and a daughter and now mrs lizzy was back in the picture....
Re: Girls must be girls by Diamondwriter(m): 7:39am On Oct 26, 2013
Joy4mi: tanx for the update.
I am beginning to dislike ronke's xter.
lol. She's really annoyin abi?
Re: Girls must be girls by 360prince(m): 8:52am On Oct 26, 2013
GOOD MORNING TO EVERYONE. If you still de sleep pls wake up because PRINCESA don prepare breakfast....:p

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Story:yahoo Boy part 1 by astronautog / Top Ten Cursed Books You Should Never Read / Sweet Sixteen JAMB 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.