Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,804 members, 7,956,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:53 PM

Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? (5309 Views)

Which Books Are You Currently Reading? / Free E-books, Novels, Magazine, Notes Etc / Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by SeverusSnape(m): 1:47pm On Dec 30, 2014
jauntty:
I was at the brink of shedding tears but I just held back when I read the ending of that novel. I used to read a lot of novels back then.
You tried, As for me, I couldn't hold back my tears; It was just running down my cheeks.
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Dec 30, 2014
A thousand splendid sun...oooppss I forgot the author..its settings is in Afghanistan..

Little prisoners by Casey Watson..---u need an extra heart not to cry while reading this book..It highlighted poor parental upbringing amidst molestation and how much more can u make a kid to suffer...

The Appeal by John Grisham...I was so mad at the ruling at the end of the cancer county incidence and I saw a huge touch of reality in it...

I am Malala..---by Malala Yousaifez or weytin be the spelling...Malala vs The Talibans..She took bullets for her campaign against them..She got the Nobel for Standing up against the Talibans against education..
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by babysmart(f): 7:51pm On Jan 13, 2015
tears actually dropped when I finished reading purple hibiscus by adichie

cujo by stephen king ( when d little boy died)

the witness wore red by rebecca musser (i wept for all dose women who suffered from d whole FLDS doctrines nd all nd it was sadder becos it's non-fiction)
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Beamborla(f): 10:07pm On Jan 13, 2015
Zoya by Daniel Steel

I cried for poor Zoya
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Ezibless: 1:14am On Jan 14, 2015
noble4d:
so long a letter - mariama ba
A mystical ring - Idris Mohammed
malice - Danielle steel

like seriously @bolded
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 23, 2015
Angela's Ashes.
By Frank McCourt

It was quite emotional when Frank McCourt died in 2009 and I read it one more time in his honor.

Honorable mention for 'Second Chance' pacesetters, I can't remember the author now but that novel made me into a hopeless romantic as a wee lad.
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Realtol(m): 10:09am On Jun 13, 2015
princesa:
Joys of motherhood: Buchi Emecheta

Purple Hibiscus: Adiche

Yellow Yellow: Kain Agary

They made me very emotional and not necessarily cry. But i cry like a baby whenever i see Titanicsad
Wow! Nice African Collection you've there! Anyway don't you cry when you watch your fave team (Arsenal) plays?
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by princesa(f): 11:08am On Jun 13, 2015
Realtol:

Wow! Nice African Collection you've there! Anyway don't you cry when you watch your fave team (Arsenal) plays?
Lol, no I dont. I dont care if they lose or win cos i am not a fan. I only just help them fly their Jersey wink
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jun 13, 2015
I guess this question is a fascimile. Right?
Just a page from the book of this life is bound to break you down.
Reason outside the ambits.
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Realtol(m): 9:49pm On Jun 13, 2015
princesa:

Lol, no I dont. I dont care if they lose or win cos i am not a fan. I only just help them fly their Jersey wink
Nice one! Are you saying you are not a football freak?
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by mrdino(m): 11:55pm On Sep 22, 2015
A Lotus for Miss Quon by James Hardley Chase (when Nan Lee Quon was tortured to death, because she refused to reveal d location of d man she love) . will post more when I remember.
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by tablu: 1:20am On Oct 31, 2015
Black Boy by Richard WRight...
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Nuruddeenmd(m): 1:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
Second Class Citizen - Buchi Emecheta
Native Son - Richard WRiGHT
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
A Horse's Tale - Mark Twain
Goldsmith's Friend Abroad Again - Mark Twain

All of the above, and a handful more, had made me feel very awful while, and mostly, after reading them.
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 01, 2015
The Rainmaker by John Grisham

Actually cried during and after reading it. lipsrsealed
The book spoke to me big time. Still does.
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 01, 2015
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Babe2sure(f): 5:05pm On Nov 02, 2015
mrdino:
A Lotus for Miss Quon by James Hardley Chase (when Nan Lee Quon was tortured to death, because she refused to reveal d location of d man she love) . will post more when I remember.

Yeah, i pitied Miss Quon then. Though, I can't remember the story very well now.
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Babe2sure(f): 5:12pm On Nov 02, 2015
Gaborone:

The Rainmaker by John Grisham

Actually cried during and after reading it.
lipsrsealed

The book spoke to me big time. Still does.

The book spoke to you? Whao! Somebody is frustrating disturbing the rainmaker.
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by sage1000: 1:17am On Nov 03, 2015
Khalid Hosseni - And The Mountain Echoed. This guy writes really great family novels and can tug at your emotions like no one else. This and The Kite Runner are examples of emotional novels.

In Fantasy, Malazan Book of The Fallen series. It takes a while to get going, you might need to struggle through the first book but after that the hits keep coming. Epic and emotional scenes without it feeling cheesy.

Perks of Being a Wallflower - The twist at the end was just damn sad.

The Little Prince - This is an all round awesome book. Just read. The conversation with Mr Fox and the end are just the best. Brings the best kinds of emotions and is one of those books that after reading you just put down to think about what you've read.

The Martian - Celebration of Humanity persistence and innovation. It is truly a ride and an emotional finish.

Worm - A web serial, perhaps the best web serial ever written. Also easily the longest at more than 1.5 million words, the climaxes are as emotional and fulfilling. Can be considered a bit dark but damn if it wasn't a great ride and the ending was very satisfying.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by moneyallowed(m): 7:35am On Nov 03, 2015
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by moneyallowed(m): 7:35am On Nov 03, 2015
The Concubine - Elechi Amadi. Some people just have bad luck and there's nothing they can do to change it

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz. Such a heartbreaking tale of a young man but it's told in such a way that you don't get angry and throw the book across the room in frustration.

Malazan Book of The Fallen - Steven Erikson. Another bittersweet book, the general sadness is interspersed with moments of laughter. What I like about it is the way it doesn't try to glorify the dead by white washing history. It just presents ordinary people doing what they can survive in a fictional world. Sure there were some heroic figures but for the most part, the book is full of selfish, lying back-stabbing regular folk. The most tragic tale I can think of is that of the Bonehunters who died unwitnessed, going to near certain death knowing no one would ever appreciate their sacrifice. Also that of the children who had forgotten how to play thanks to the horrors of war which made them adults before their time. I don't cry easily but by the time I finished I was a bawling baby.

1984- George Orwell. Sad depressing book from start to finish. No hope, no escape, no future. Just evil triumphing over good. Still get nightmares about it

1 Like

Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by SIRcumalot: 9:25am On Nov 03, 2015
I never found Malazan depressing just the 2nd book in the series.

The only book that really affected me is the Kite runner by khaled Hosseni great book by a fine writer.
I hope to never read another book that makes me feel that way again.
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by Amazinpeace(f): 11:38am On Nov 03, 2015
Nicholas spark -message in a bottle. Very touchin novel
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by sage1000: 6:37pm On Nov 03, 2015
SIRcumalot:

The only book that really affected me is the Kite runner by khaled Hosseni great book by a fine writer.
I hope to never read another book that makes me feel that way again.

Try The Mountain Echoed by the same writer. In some ways I prefer that to Kite Runner.

How were you not affected during this moments?
The wipeout of the Bridgeburners during the last battle against the Pannion Domin. When Strings came back and Fiddler didn't want to be near him because he had already mourned him. When Tavore finally broke down in her brother's hand at the end, When Beak died.
Felisin was a sad story from the beginning of her life in the story to the end, moments like when she found out Ganoes is still alive or when she refuses to let Heboric go because she doesn't want to be alone always get to me. Don't forget Baudin, a man sacrified to save disgusting person and yet keeps to his duty.

The chain of Dogs is undoubtedly one of the strongest emotional moment in fantasy books.

"Very well, permit me, if you will, on this night. To break your hearts once more. This is the story of the Chain of Dogs. Of Coltaine of the Crow Clan.."
- Duiker

Steven Erikson knows how to put out the hurt.

Another book would be Dresden Files. This is a fun series but in Changes when Dresden has to kill his ex to save their child, or when he found out what he put Molly through. Also when he finally talked with his daughter in Skin Game.
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by moneyallowed(m): 8:30pm On Nov 03, 2015
sage1000:

Try The Mountain Echoed by the same writer. In some ways I prefer that to Kite Runner.

The wipeout of the Bridgeburners during the last battle against the Pannion Domin. When Strings came back and Fiddler didn't want to be near him because he had already mourned him. When Tavore finally broke down in her brother's hand at the end, When Beak died.
Felisin was a sad story from the beginning of her life in the story to the end, moments like when she found out Ganoes is still alive or when she refuses to let Heboric go because she doesn't want to be alone always get to me. Don't forget Baudin, a man sacrified to save disgusting person and yet keeps to his duty.

The chain of Dogs is undoubtedly one of the strongest emotional moment in fantasy books.

"Very well, permit me, if you will, on this night. To break your hearts once more. This is the story of the Chain of Dogs. Of Coltaine of the Crow Clan.."
- Duiker

Another book would be Dresden Files. This is a fun series but in Changes when Dresden has to kill his ex to save their child, or when he found out what he put Molly through. Also when he finally talked with his daughter in Skin Game.

Oh lord Beak! The brightest candles burn out first. That duiker quote gives me shivers everything. Trull Sengar is another sad story....see ehn I hope they never make that series into a movie cos people will demand their money back at cinemas. No one deserves that much heartbreak
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by SIRcumalot: 8:33pm On Nov 03, 2015
sage1000:

- Duiker

Those malazan moment even dresden talking to Maggie at the Carpenter's was touching ,but that
Kite runner book was the first one to really mess with me,I can't even remember the story proper but I remember how sad I was afterwards it took me awhile to figure out that reading Kite runner caused it.

Life is depressing enough has it is.

If you like books that provoke this emotion you should read the farseer trilogy by robin hobbs.
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by SIRcumalot: 8:42pm On Nov 03, 2015
moneyallowed:

Oh lord Beak! The brightest candles burn out first. That duiker quote gives me shivers everything. Trull Sengar is another sad story....see ehn I hope they never make that series into a movie cos people will demand their money back at cinemas. No one deserves that much heartbreak
Malzan is peppered with too many Holyshit!! moment for me to be bog down by the sad part.
The ending of the whole thing just made me angry.
Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by sage1000: 9:01pm On Nov 03, 2015
Oh I've read it. Still hate Regal. Working up the strength to read the second and third trilogy.

The books and moments I've mentioned are those that made me feel something for them while reading. I think the book that had me a bit depressed was Bridge to Terabithia. The first truly tragic novel I've read and it didn't have the decency to be tragic in a fulfilling way. The girl just dies a pointless death at the end and that is that. Just like real life.

Remembering other books that struck me.
Another moving book was The Shack. not so much sad since the tragedy happens fairly early but dealing with the fallout and the climax with the guy having the strength to truly forgive his daughter's killer.

Chronicles of Narnia. Didn't strike me as I read it. It was when I was reading a fanfiction of what happens to Susan that the tragedy of Susan missing out of Narnia feels profound.

1 Like

Re: Which Books/Novels Made You Emotional? by spaceboi: 2:10pm On Nov 04, 2015
Atonement by Ian McEwan. it made me cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

R.I.P. Dr. Ozodi Thomas Osuji - An Elegy.y / RUNNER By The_freelancer / My Adventure With My Sugar Mum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.