Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,013 members, 7,953,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:19 AM

Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? (15233 Views)

Why Can't Money Be Sufficiently Printed For Our Use? / Outsourcing Business In Nigeria: Why Can't It Work? / Why Can't Nigerians Shop Online? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by dani1luv: 2:28pm On Oct 26, 2013
I can never buy any gadgets online. .am I mad?

When I can easily go to a slot in Ikeja. .

I only use Jumia or Konga to check prices of stuffs and all, so I wont be cheated out there

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by MeGaStReEt: 2:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
So many Jumians on here then. Why don't they simply tell the buyer they can't deliver the next day. Why lie to your customers and then give unnecessary excuses?
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 26, 2013
Are you trying to spoil someone's business.
Ok, since you asked a question. Well, I think they have to wait for a couple of days so they see if they can receive more orders from your area so as to minimize the cost of distribution or transportation. Basically instead of delivering N4500 worth of goods everyday for 3days which costs let's say 500 to deliver per day to approximately the same location, resulting in 1500 delivery cost, they can deliver the whole thing the third day alone at 500delivery cost.

Got it? You just have to be patient as the business grows, they might reduce the time between order and delivery. If delivery on the same day as the order would cause a loss for them, no matter what you say will change their pattern of business.

My 2cent? For lecturing you smiley
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Belmot(m): 2:55pm On Oct 26, 2013
MeGaStReEt: So many Jumians on here then. Why don't they simply tell the buyer they can't deliver the next day. Why lie to your customers and then give unnecessary excuses?
They never told him they'll deliver the next day, read the topic before you make comments.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by ocheejemb: 3:00pm On Oct 26, 2013
meekmk: Firstly I do hope this gets to the front page.

And I'm not trashing someones business, I just happen to have a problem with JUMIA's 5 days delivery policy.

Why on earth would i have to wait 5 days to receive an ordered Item, Within Lagos when i could as well go to the mall and get it.

5 days delivery policy for orders within lagos is just totally stupid and absurd if you ask me, C'mon i mean its Lagos... Why can delivery be same day..

AND Don't anyone say they are still growing because they are almost a year old now.

Secondly, A store which doesnt have Giftwrapping options, You can order gifts from them, Say My mum's Birthday is tomorrow morning, I cant place a fast order and have it delivered next morning, why then should i evn bother to waste my time on the website if it doesnt serve my most immediate needs.

They Do have their Plus sides too, but the service isnt comprehensive enough for me..

Please Share Experience.

How many eCommerce services have you seen offer same-day delivery anywhere in the world?
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Goldenskin: 3:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
Delivery is actually between 3 to 5 days. I have ordered twice at Jumia and I got my orders on the third day. It is unrealistic to expect same day delivery.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by mashnino(m): 3:10pm On Oct 26, 2013
I actually did a test between JUMIA and KONGA...and criously i see no reason why i should buy anything from JUMIA again

so i bought a flash drive and mobile charger from JUMIA on a wednesday..GUESS WHAT! i got my package on TUESDAY the next week

and i stay in lagos ooo apart from the part that they collected close to 1500naira for the shipping..

Then i bought a shoe from KONGA at around 10PM that same TUESDAY i got my delivery from JUMIA and guess what!

Around 8 AM the next morning a rep from KONGA called me that my order has been shipped and and 45mins later..got a call from the courier guy

that he is around my area..and i got my package just like that...

AND then the other day i saw a news that some guys gave JUMIA an award as best online shopping whatever whatever..

ABEG GIVE IT UP FOR KONGA dot COM...
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by mashnino(m): 3:11pm On Oct 26, 2013
oche_ejemb:

How many eCommerce services have you seen offer same-day delivery anywhere in the world?

KONGA
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by indomitable234: 3:12pm On Oct 26, 2013
here is how jumia operates,u place an order say a phone or laptop,jumai rushes down to computer village and get the items,once its not in stock in the market jumia send u a mail telling you the order has been cancelled but once they get the item,they now proceed to deliver and this brings about the time lapses
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Acidosis(m): 3:18pm On Oct 26, 2013
coopalajo: And why can't jumia do better than amazon why do Nigerians always like to be second class. If they can't do better let them do the same.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by infoscope(m): 3:31pm On Oct 26, 2013
You guys be there saying how impossible it is to get a same day delivery. Wait until I start up mine with 6-8hours delivery. That's the spirit....

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Oildichotomy(m): 3:34pm On Oct 26, 2013
A lot of Jumia staffs swooped on the thread to save face obviously

They should be up & doing or else... ''Many have come and gone''.

Most of time, i visit their site for Nigerian prices
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Oildichotomy(m): 3:34pm On Oct 26, 2013
A lot of Jumia staffs swooped on the thread to save face obviously

They should be up & doing or else... ''Many have come and gone''.

Most of the time, i visit their site for Nigerian prices
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by javadoctor(m): 3:58pm On Oct 26, 2013
I wuz @bode thomas in surulere 2days and I saw konga service pickup point,and I explained to my colleagues that this totally defies the the delivery system done @residences or a clients address. What's the point going 2konga pickup point when wat ordered can be gotten @the next mall? Its totally pointless

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 26, 2013

And I'm not trashing someones business, I just happen to have a problem with JUMIA's 5 days delivery policy.

Why on earth would i have to wait 5 days to receive an ordered Item, Within Lagos when i could as well go to the mall and get it.

5 days delivery policy for orders within lagos is just totally stupid and absurd if you ask me, C'mon i mean its Lagos... Why can delivery be same day..

AND Don't anyone say they are still growing because they are almost a year old now.

Secondly, A store which doesnt have Giftwrapping options, You can order gifts from them, Say My mum's Birthday is tomorrow morning, I cant place a fast order and have it delivered next morning, why then should i evn bother to waste my time on the website if it doesnt serve my most immediate needs.

They Do have their Plus sides too, but the service isnt comprehensive enough for me..

Please Share Experience.

That 5day delivery looks more like Jumia trying to be on the safe side, i actually got an order on second day.
If you think that's unfair try Konga, you will regret it.

Let me share my personal experiences with Jumia and Konga.

on Sept 18th, i placed an order on Konga.com (order number: R336300851), I sure have no problem paying with my ATM but since this was my first time and i noticed the "pay on delivery" option on their site, i opted for it.

It was a gas burner and i was definitely going to get the cylinder, I tried searching online for the composite one and couldn't find but found info on where i could get it at a very good price.
I could have purchased the gas burner right where i got the cylinder given the array of burners there with huge discounts, i declined, why? i was expecting Konga to deliver and even before leaving home, i had to drop the cash with a neighbor in case they come to deliver in my absence.

Fast forward to day 3, which was Friday, no calls, no delivery, so i called about 11am
well, the customer service guy, without asking my order number sincerely apologized and told me delivery wont be happening on the Day3.
Reason: Warehouse relocation is on
(which if you ask me, that's due to poor planning, you should plan your migration before attempting it or have the conditions boldly printed at checkout page)

so he promised i will get it between Monday(day6) and Wednesday(day8)
I was cool with the arrangement as long as there is such direct communication

3 hours later, same friday, a lady called from Konga regarding the order that i must make deposits before they can bring the shipment over.
she obviously was not aware that i have the 411 about no shipment going out.

I immediately registered my dissatisfaction about dubiously putting up the "payment on delivery" on their site for order within Lagos when clearly they can't do it
so i gave her the instruction to cancel the order, which she sounded to be happy to do because there was really no persuasion, no "sorry for the inconvenience this could have caused", just an order cancellation email.

Well, the inconvenience was i had to drive all the way in weekend traffic to buy what i could have brought home at a discounted amount.

Jumia on the other hand, I placed an order on their website recently, Even though i was told i will get it same day, I got it next morning.

I will advice Nigerian to stay off Konga.com, A friend here also had a more terrible experience with Konga.com
He got a call after Day 3 telling him the shoe he ordered for was out of stock but they still have but in another color.
He asked that the order be cancelled and shockingly the customer service just ended the call abruptly.

5 days later, they refused to refund him, when he called, they said they had credited his konga wallet against future orders
he had to post to their facebook page before he could get a refund the second week

Konga should just leave the scene and not destroy the trust Nigerians are starting to have with buying online,
Imagine such first time experiences, that would really dent the confidence of purchasing online and i think for this we should have a regulatory body to redress the growing online marketplace.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 26, 2013
Put an Igbo trader in this shape and see as things move with alacrity.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by ludot(m): 4:22pm On Oct 26, 2013
infoscope: You guys be there saying how impossible it is to get a same day delivery. Wait until I start up mine with 6-8hours delivery. That's the spirit....

We are waiting....

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by InvertedHammer: 4:34pm On Oct 26, 2013
//
OP:

You know you can always start your own company and do same day delivery

Or better, few hours delivery.

//
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by JideTheBlogger(m): 5:04pm On Oct 26, 2013
If you can't wait, goto Oshodi. grin
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by touchmeder: 5:14pm On Oct 26, 2013
Even Amazon UK will not do it unless you choose the quicker option and pay more. Regular time is 3-5 working days.
Ebay is another thing. Try buying from Asia/ Hong Kong or China it can take up to a month. The beautiful thing about these people especially Ebay is the ''money back guarantee''. I hope these online retailers in Nigeria will get there someday.

Buying things and having them cancelled due to ''out of stock'' problem is not unheard of even abroad. Its quite annoying but its worse when they refuse to refund the money and try to give you a similar item or put the money towards your next purchase (Naija style). Very sneaky and stupid i must say lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by bako52(m): 5:25pm On Oct 26, 2013
for the fact that they gave you 4-5 day once they deliver it within the days I think is okay, they also have there terms and condition shopping with them.
my experience with dealdey make me stop shopping with them. there own policy says within a week after paying #500 delivery money but after two week I have to cancelled the order becouse it of no use if I got it after a week, I know that is why I order for the goods but they disappointed me.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by iamskiigii(m): 5:53pm On Oct 26, 2013
martin92: Because it is a nigeria company. #fact#
No! It's because you are a 1992 baby... Mtcheew
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by benny4wax(m): 6:21pm On Oct 26, 2013
STARTING A LUCRATIVE BIZ?
Invest in oil & gas without putting a hole in your
pocket. Enroll for the FREE NEWSLETTERS
Read More:
http:///social/186/11083
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by baba11(m): 6:29pm On Oct 26, 2013
.....try konga!
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Pattey(m): 7:02pm On Oct 26, 2013
Well, for now I only use Jumia, Konga etc for price comparison before hitting the market. . . I'll be back with an assessment when I actually try them tho grin
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by thirdeye(m): 7:04pm On Oct 26, 2013
I have tried both and also promotes Jumia. But Konga delivered the next day I ordered from them twice!
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by gboye1999: 7:18pm On Oct 26, 2013
Promhize: Are you trying to spoil someone's business.
Ok, since you asked a question. Well, I think they have to wait for a couple of days so they see if they can receive more orders from your area so as to minimize the cost of distribution or transportation. Basically instead of delivering N4500 worth of goods everyday for 3days which costs let's say 500 to deliver per day to approximately the same location, resulting in 1500 delivery cost, they can deliver the whole thing the third day alone at 500delivery cost.

Got it? You just have to be patient as the business grows, they might reduce the time between order and delivery. If delivery on the same day as the order would cause a loss for them, no matter what you say will change their pattern of business.

My 2cent? For lecturing you smiley

On the contrary he is helping them. Criticism and queries can only make your business grow if you respond to them positively.
Its an observation they may choose to work on.
Once a while ago cheques take t+3/4 days to hit your account; now its faster. Even the stock exchange was once t+3 today its more like same day transaction.
If Jumai can improve: let them. if they stick to there so called logistics issue and someone comes along with same day delivery or 1 day delivery. You all will shift your loyalty...that i am sure of.

Your explanation does not stop them from same day delivery if requested by the client. of course with some charge
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 26, 2013
Have you guys tried www.buyam.com.ng?
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by faithin9ja: 7:34pm On Oct 26, 2013

Please Share Experience.

The answer is simple; Stock levels amd logistics.
Jumia and Konga have spent millions of dollars starting their businesses in Nigeria and obviously already know the best practices from other online retailers around the world - do the posters here feel Jumia, Konga and other online retailers in Nigeria have not heard of Amazon, eBay, shopto, BesyBuy, etc. They have studied them and know all the pitfalls.

In order to reduce cost and wastage, both Jumia & konga cannot keep all they advertise online in stock. When you place an order, they order from their suppliers (some suppliers are in Nigeria, some outside Nigeria) then they delver to you, hence the need to give up to 5 days fro delivery.

One of my businesses actually supplies Jumia and Jumia staff sometimes come to our offices 4 times day to pick single items for onward delivery to their customer that ordered the particular item.

By the way the other arm of my business also has our e-commerce business in direct competition with Jumia and Konga, so I should not be sticking up for them but the truth is the truth; businesses in Nigeria are trying and giving our environment and limited current online market size, you cannot expect the same standards from the likes of Amazon.

For instance Amazon, Tesco and other big retailers have million-dollar software that accurately predict demand of any particular product and any particular time, they even use the weather in their predictions. (Oyibo juju strong oh!).

So, yes Jumia, konga, etc would love to give same day or next day delivery, but are limited by their stock as well as logistics. by the way my website does same day/ next day delivery for items in stock. Same day in Lagos, next day outside Lagos.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 26, 2013
indomitable234: here is how jumia operates,u place an order say a phone or an laptop,jumai rushes down to computer village and get the items,once its not in stock in the market jumia send u a mail telling you the order has been cancelled but once they get the item,they now proceed to deliverand this brings about the time lapses
its not good to talk bad about someone business like that, i pray nigerians will start buying things online, its only in Nigeria someone will trek for 2hrs just to go buy something of N30.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by ayonuga(m): 7:53pm On Oct 26, 2013
Ecommerce is still at its baby stage in Nigeria, regardless has grown significantly. Living abroad, I've never seen same day delivery although I've seen 24hrs delivery time while in these places - Germany, France, India. Consider that Jumia will have key challenges such as logistics, technology and road network. With time the service will improve, provided people give them adequate feedback just as you've done.
P.S. I don't know a lot about Jumia or their operations but If truly it's a year old then I'd say it's a company on the right track.
Re: Why Can't Jumia Offer Same-Day Delivery? by tpia5: 8:07pm On Oct 26, 2013
coopalajo: And why can't jumia do better than amazon why do Nigerians always like to be second class. If they can't do better let them do the same.

so jumia which is in nigeria, should do better than amazon which is in first world countries?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ecobank Opens Naira-denominated Mastercard For International Transactions / Fire Razes Samek Line at Ariaria, Aba (Video, Photos) / LAWMA Seals Alaba Rago Market.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.