Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family (2774 Views)

Photos Of The Girl With Half-body At Home With Her Family In Kano / Pastor Says I Should Marry An Ifa Worshipper, Now I Am Regretting —wife / See What A Woman Had To Pass Through To Support Her Family. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by lilwheezy1(m): 2:51pm On Oct 24, 2013
i saw this post on facebook , so i decided to share it with the good people of nairaland ...... comments are allowed
.............................................................................................................................................................................................

can this be true?

An igbo contact in my friend list told
me this...
You think marriage can be more
expensive?
JUST LAID MY HANDS ON THIS
TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE LIST GIVEN TO
MY BROTHER
SOME N.W GUYS COULD FIND IT USEFUL:
Father: A square bottled hot drink
Native gin
Head of tobacco
4 he goat
Machete with sheathe
Some cash
Some wrappers
Jar of palm wine
Singlets
Pants
Traditional attire
Hat
Shoes
Crates of
beer
Soft drinks
Whiskey
Walking stick e.t.c
Mother
3 She goat
Basin of pepper
Bag of salt
12 Blouses
10 wrappers
Box of assorted clothing pressed
down
Basin of crayfish
Pants
Bras
Crates of soft drinks
Cartons of wine
Cash etc…
Village Women
Crates of soft drinks
Wine
Malt
Brooms and cash
Youth:
Football
Crates of beer
Jar of palm wine
Native gin
Cash
Consultation marriage list for the
father:
1 - 4 bottles of three in one whisky
2. 1 carton of ‘Explendido’ Brandy
3. 10 liters of native gin
4. 10 cartons of star beer
5. 6 bottles of Gordon Gin
6. 3 cartons of small stout
7. 1 carton of wine
8. 10 Jars of palm wine
9. 3 Heads of Tobacco
10. 3 line stones
11. 3 bunches of cola nuts
12. 10 bottles of grinding sniff
13. 15 rolls of Benson and hedges
cigarette
14. 10 packet of matches
15. Cash of N50, 000.00 for breaking of
cola
Full Proper Marriage List for the
father:
1. 2 pieces of hollandis Wax
2. 1 Chieftaincy shirt
3. 1 hat
4. 1 big towel
5. 1 pair of shoes and socks
6. 1 walking stick
7. 1 wristwatch
8. 1 dozen pairs of underwear
9. 1 she goat with N10, 000.00 for
cutting goat’s head
10. Matchet with cover and beet
11. 15 cartons of star beer
12. 5 cartons of champion beer
13. 2 cartons of brandy
14. 3 bottles of 3 in one whisky
15. 1 carton of wine (Don Morris)
16. 5 crates of minerals (Soft drinks)
17. 4 crates of Guinness malt
18. 4 heads of Tobacco
19. 1 bottle of grinding snuff
20. 4 line stones
21. 4 bunches of cola nuts
22. 1 small basin and knife for the cola
nuts
23. 15 Jars of palm win
24. 20 liters of native gin
25. 1 modern brief case with N150,
For the mother – consultation:
1. 6 bottles of Campari hot drink
2. 4 crates of minerals (soft drinks)
3. 12 crates of Guinness Malts
4. 3 piece of English wax
5. 4 blouse
6. 1 basin with cover full of crayfish
7. 1 Head tie
8. 2 bags of salt
9. Basin with pepper
For the Mother – Full marriage (proper
marriage)
1. 4 pieces of Dutch Wax and 3 lace
2. 6 assorted blouses
3. Head tie (canopy)
4. 2 Pairs of shoes
5. One wrist watch + 1 dozen of
brassieres
6. A hand bag and 6 pairs of
underwear
7. 1 big basin full of crayfish with
cover
8. 1 big basin full of pepper with cover
9. 3 bags of salt
10. 9 umbrella
11. 1 suit – case with N50, 000.00
12. 1 carton of Eva wine
13. 1 big bottle of Yago wine
14. 4 crates of Guinness malt
15. 4 crates of minerals (soft drinks)
16. 10 bags of rice
17. 5 tubers of yam
(Family members):
1. 3 cartons of star beer
2. 1 bottles of St. Remy
3. 3 Jars of palm wine
4. 1 roll of Benson and hedges
cigarette
5. 1 pack of matches
6. Cash of N10, 000.00
Youth:
1. Football
2. 1 bottle of gin
3. 1 roll of St. Morris cigarette
4. 1 packet of matches
5. N2, 000.00
(Village Women):
1. 1 bottle of wine
2. 5 crates of minerals (soft drink)
3. N10, 500.00 in cash
Grand Father:
1. Piece of wax loin cloth
2. 1 long sleeves shirt
3. 1 bottle of brandy
4. 1 wristwatch.
(Mother's people):
1. 1 carton of beer
2. 1 bottle of brandy
3. 1 Jar of palm wine
4. 1 piece of English wax
5. 1 long sleeves shirt
6. 1 bag of salt
If u make her have a baby before
marriage attracts
1. One She Goat
2. One bottle of St. Remy
3. Two Carton of Star Beer
4. Two crates of soft drinks
5. One bottle of native gin
6. Two Bottles of wine
7. N100, 000.00
Yesterday at 9:43pm
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by ammyluv2002(f): 3:03pm On Oct 24, 2013
So fake....no igbo town have such list. Haba! Even if they want to kill the husband to be

3 Likes

Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by ITbomb(m): 3:05pm On Oct 24, 2013
I will just give them N3m and buy the girl.
No end of year party for them ever

2 Likes

Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by critique101(f): 3:08pm On Oct 24, 2013
shocked shocked

Jehovah! If the girl really loves the Guy, she will meet her parents n discuss the list.

Its tóo much n the Guy will stilll have to pay for the trádisional occassion.

Its illiterates that write such lists

1 Like

Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by EfemenaXY: 3:17pm On Oct 24, 2013
Does the man (fiancée) get a receipt for his expenses or rather, would the family be issuing the man a receipt for this?

What're the terms and conditions attached to the return policy? Assuming the goods are damaged or past their sell-by-date? Or can he 'exchange' one for the other?
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by eduson33(m): 3:18pm On Oct 24, 2013
Am coming
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by lilwheezy1(m): 3:24pm On Oct 24, 2013
Jesu mi shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Superking: 3:29pm On Oct 24, 2013
WHERE IN IGBO LAND abeg?

As much as I agree that some of the items are regular in Igbo dowry; some others are either over-exaggerated or shouldn't be in the list out-rightly.

FACTS ABOUT IGBO DOWRY (MARRIAGE LIST)
(1) Most items on the list are subject to negotiation which usually results to downward review.
(2) It is never compulsory that the groom completes all items on the list before taking his wife.
(3) Some items are compulsory while majority are optional.
(4) There is no standardised marriage list across Igboland; communities/kindred determine theirs.
(I am still going to add some more.)

By the way, did we beg any of you to come and marry our dotas? cheesy Onye sha ala-Owere ariya mma, ngwa ya kwara li! (Person wey talk say, Owerri-land no sweet, make him pack and go!) cheesy

I will even be happier if a special list that triples this one is prepared for ndi nri-mmanu and their neighbours. They will do anything to ensure that they marry our clean, amiable, sweet daughters. Dem no dey marry their people again. lipsrsealed

7 Likes

Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by badmeat(m): 3:53pm On Oct 24, 2013
This is ridiculouscheesy,d op must be jokinggrin
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Nobody: 4:13pm On Oct 24, 2013
shocked this must be a joke! Ahan which kain mumu list b dis! Msteeeeeeew.
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by overdrive(m): 4:45pm On Oct 24, 2013
Total fallacy unless they want to open a shopping mall with d list.
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by jumzzy448: 5:42pm On Oct 24, 2013
Na wa for dis kain list ooo.......so tey he go buy pants and bras for the girl mama. onyi ara.
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by mysticgal(f): 6:24pm On Oct 24, 2013
this list long na,kai if am this guy if i pay,the woman no go smell her family arena again ohundecided
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Odunharry(m): 7:07pm On Oct 24, 2013
mysticgal: this list long na,kai if am this guy if i pay,the woman no go smell her family arena again ohundecided
i dnt believ dat list....
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by fr3do(m): 7:08pm On Oct 24, 2013
Lol ''a she goat and 10 000 for cutting goat head"

the average Igbo list is one-fifth of what the op listed
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Afrocatalyst: 7:17pm On Oct 24, 2013
Hehehe..But it's an idea for those preparing to... Just take note.
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Nobody: 7:19pm On Oct 24, 2013
Yes I will and even add more to it.
If I can spend 4 to 5 milla on an auto that I can easily dash out, why won't I spend more than that for the lv of my life,my jewel,enenebe ejeghi oru, omuma asa aru and the mother of my future kids?
Its too small abeg!

Yeyecious tribalist!

3 Likes

Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by lilwheezy1(m): 7:39pm On Oct 24, 2013
pilotseq:

chai .... See dis one and him Mumu toughts sha .... See as u yab me finish.. Shey u can't read niii , I wrote it jejely that I saw it on Fb , na ur type dey kill ur broda in laws with dis kain list .... Mtshew.
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by mumumugu(m): 8:19pm On Oct 24, 2013
Girls are commodity
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Philipsdael(m): 8:49pm On Oct 24, 2013
O.P you dey cause Bad Market for the Ibo gal-friends of ours o .....
I'll start considering my south-south instead of bending to the East.
Choi, see list.....
Nkechi, don't blame me for diverting my love at this early stage.....

1 Like

Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by mhizbanega(f): 7:45am On Oct 25, 2013
Superking: WHERE IN IGBO LAND abeg?

As much as I agree that some of the items are regular in Igbo dowry; some others are either over-exaggerated or shouldn't be in the list out-rightly.

FACTS ABOUT IGBO DOWRY (MARRIAGE LIST)
(1) Most items on the list are subject to negotiation which usually results to downward review.
(2) It is never compulsory that the groom completes all items on the list before taking his wife.
(3) Some items are compulsory while majority are optional.
(4) There is no standardised marriage list across Igboland; communities/kindred determine theirs.
(I am still going to add some more.)

By the way, did we beg any of you to come and marry our dotas? cheesy Onye sha ala-Owere ariya mma, ngwa ya kwara li! (Person wey talk say, Owerri-land no sweet, make him pack and go!) cheesy

I will even be happier if a special list that triples this one is prepared for ndi nri-mmanu and their neighbours. They will do anything to ensure that they marry our clean, amiable, sweet daughters. Dem no dey marry their people again. lipsrsealed
don't mind them, m sure the guy must be yoruba. Yuh just wonda wenda they don't have women in their tribe. To marry igbo women dey sweet them..

2 Likes

Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Tinynita(f): 9:09am On Oct 25, 2013
dat list pass 1 abeg...hw many list d mama, papa nd youth get?.....gonna paste a list 4rm my mum's villa....came across it sum months ago
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Tinynita(f): 9:33am On Oct 25, 2013
Men's list Stage 1 (OSO-MMANYI) ITEMS 1 JAR OF PALMWINE 1 BOTTLE OF SEAMAN SCHNAPP 1 CARTON OF STAR BEER STAGE 2 (MBUSU-MMANYI) 2 JARS OF PALMWINE 2BOTTLES OF SEAMAN SCHNAPP 2 CARTONS OF STAR BEER 1 CARTON OF MINERAL STAGE 3 (IKUAKA NA UZO) 1 BOTTLE OF SEAMAN SCHNAPP 1 JAR OF PALMWINE 1 CARTON OF STAR BEER #5000 CASH STAGE 4 (AHIA-AZU) 2 JARS OF PALMWINE 3 BOTTLES OF SEAMAN SCHNAPP 3 CARTONS OF STAR BEER #10000 CASH
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Tinynita(f): 9:44am On Oct 25, 2013
list 4 village women
2BAGS OF RICE (PHYSICAL), 2BAGS OF SALT, 2RUBBERS OF 20 LITRES OF VEGETABLE OIL, 30 TUBERS OF YAM, 3 DOZENS OF GEISHA, 3 DOZENS OF MORNING ROSE POWDER, 3 DOZENS OF LUX SOAP, 2 DOZENS OF POMADE, 4 BIG TINS OF PEAK MILK, 3 DOZENS OF A GOOD BAR SOAP, 3 ROLLS OF MATCHES, 3 PACKETS OF MAGGI CUBES, 3CRATES OF MALTINA, 3CRATES OF MINERALS, 4BIG STOCK FISH, 3TINS OF BIG BOURNVITA (PHYSICAL), 3 PACKETS OF SUGAR, 24 BIG LOAVES OF BREAD (PHYSICAL), 2BASKET OF ONIONS, EGO IKPUKPE ACHARA #5000 ONLY, LIST COST #5000, ALL ODA ITEMS NT LISTED CAN BE MADE BY CASH OF #40000
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Tinynita(f): 9:47am On Oct 25, 2013
THE MOTHER'S RITE 1 PIECE OF GEORGE, 1 PIECE OF HOLLANDIS, 1 BIG LACE, 2 BIG HEAD TIES, 1 PAIR OF SHOE, 1 GOOD LOOKING HAND BAG, 1 EARRING AND NECKLACE, 1 GOOD AND NEAT WRIST WATCH, 1 NICE UMBRELLA AND THE SUM OF #2000
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Tinynita(f): 9:54am On Oct 25, 2013
STAGE 5 (FINAL DOWRY SETTLEMENT) CASH 4 CHAIRMAN/SECRETARY #2000, 4JARS OF PALMWINE, 4 CARTONS OF STAR BEER, 2 BOTTLES OF ST. REMY, 2BOTTLES OF SEAMAN SCHNAPP, 1CARTON OF MALTINA, 2CRATES OF MINERAL, 1 BIG SHE GOAT, 8 LARGE TUBERS OF YAM, 2 HEADS OF TOBACCO+POTASH, 2ROLLS OF BENSON AND HEDGES, 10 NATIVE KOLA NUTS, PROVISION 4 FOOD, 2BIG STOCK FISH, COST OF LIST #5000, #15000..........U CAN GIVE #81000 IF U CANT BUY TINS 4 THIS STAGE
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Tinynita(f): 9:57am On Oct 25, 2013
finally list 4 d youth 1 crate of mineral, 1 big football, enough food, 1 packet of benson & hedges, 2 packets of cabin biscuit, packet of chewing gum nd #15000
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by RoyalRoy(m): 10:00am On Oct 25, 2013
ahhhh... still on still....its still an expensive venture!!!!

And I notice cigarette is a prominent feature in all the list.

Hopefully someone won't kill his bride's extended family with cancer in the long run !!!

Thanks for posting Tinynita.
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by lilwheezy1(m): 12:31pm On Oct 25, 2013
thanks jare Tinynita , all those people that are shouting that the list is not real can see things for themselves , her list even get stages come reach stage five join , y'all can keep your daughters and sisters , we will meet them in shilow , redeem camp and mountain of fire camp when they are 35 . grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Philipsdael(m): 1:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
What about Gay-marriage do they also have such list for the 'sissy-one'
(oOps, the Gov't has not and won't pass the bill for such marriage)
There is nofffin like the Heven-gate, inbetween the females towers.
Lolz.
Re: Will You Marry An Igbo Girl With This List From Her Family by Ngokafor(f): 5:34pm On Oct 25, 2013
..op your list is totally false..Una no dey tire with all these fake lists sef??

...every now and then,a different thread about igbo marriages comes up,with complaints all over place by people who have no business doing so...

Abeg abeg abeg,igbo girls are not the only girls in this country okay??....no one is forcing anyone to marry them so leave them alone.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Wonderful Achievements Of A 6 Months Old Nairalander (Picture) / Will You Let Your Wife You Intend To Marry To Be A Full Time House Wife? / When Your Husband insist On Pounded Yam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.