Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims (8368 Views)

Top 12 Misconceptions About Islam / Top TEN Misconceptions About ISLAM / Ramad-amnesia, A Contagious Disease Among Muslims. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 5:50pm On Oct 27, 2013
For those who find the OP and all who support it strange. Welcome to reality. My message is not new,right from time there have existed few muslims, righteous ones that have rejected these misconceptions but unfortuanately the majority were proponents of the misconceptions and easily had their way. Today,there are more of such muslims rejecting this misconceptions,but as freedom of speech seem to be lacking here,most of them can't air their views.

As for those who tell me to go to clerics e.t.c. I don't disagree with you,but i do not completely agree with you. Think; If the clerics were so knowledgeable why do they still differ in a range of issues. The sunnis have their clerics, so do the shiites,who is the real cleric? I listen to them, but am critical of what they say. Am aware of their fallibility(Qur'an 9:31, 34). I have seen some of them who reject these misconceptions and even more which many muslims will not consider as misconception.

Abubakar Shekau(boko haram chief) is very fluent in Arabic, infact he prefers and speak Arabic over English. He is also a mullah,an imam,a sheikh, and a scholar according to his followers and most "muslims" definition of scholars.

But what happened to those his students who preferred his tafsir or fatwa as final over reading the Qur'an in English? What happened to them? They have been soiling the name of Islam in the mud. They have become a threat to Nigerians. They have become the enemy of the very religion they claim to stand for. They have become BOKO HARAM!!!.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 6:16pm On Oct 27, 2013
Akin d archi: Oh boy.... I really would like to understand the purpose of this thread @op. I know I am may not be all that knowledgeable as respect to deen, but do u really believe that this is doing more good than fitnah?
And I am just curious, do u know some surah in arabic or any other language? And if u do, how easy or hard was it for u. *i am not asking u these to argue, wud just like to understand u better, and u are free to ignore the questions

Yes, i do know some surahs in arabic. Are you talking of memorisation? Yes, some surah/chapters in arabic.

And the purpose of the thread, haven't you read the OP? Why then did you say i was seeking attention?
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Akindarchi(m): 6:33pm On Oct 27, 2013
Nevr said u were seeking attention, but anyhow, my question about the purpose of the thread was did u start it to educate fellow muslims and christians and whoever else there is alike, or did u post it to seek d opinion of others on the matters u raised.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 7:07pm On Oct 27, 2013
Akin d archi: Nevr said u were seeking attention, but anyhow, my question about the purpose of the thread was did u start it to educate fellow muslims and christians and whoever else there is alike, or did u post it to seek d opinion of others on the matters u raised.
the two questions u raise aren't mutually exclusive.. they both go hand in hand. its now left for readers to either look into it, look beyound it or look behind it (its our call not his)..
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 7:14pm On Oct 27, 2013
Akin d archi: Oh boy.... I really would like to understand the purpose of this thread @op. I know I am may not be all that knowledgeable as respect to deen, but do u really believe that this is doing more good than fitnah?
And I am just curious, do u know some surah in arabic or any other language? And if u do, how easy or hard was it for u. *i am not asking u these to argue, wud just like to understand u better, and u are free to ignore the questions

how can someone convictions and opinions be a fitnah?? is he shoving it down our throat like the lords in Islamic section a fitnah only arise when u believe u av a monopoly of something (e.g maclatunji)..

the op stand have always be the stand of the Sufi (they always clamour for oneness and unity) not the Sufi we have this days ooooo.. the foundational teaching of Sufism is unity,oneness and love nothing more, thats why u will never see any real Sufi master calling anyone unbeliever, they will never say someone will go to hellfire, they will never talk back at those that speak against them (am not talking of this days wanna be Sufi ooo)

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by babylolaroy(f): 7:30pm On Oct 27, 2013
usermane:

If i had come here, praising Islam, you wouldn't say i am seeking for attention, will u? If i had said Muhammad is the greatest messenger or only the so called muslims will inherit paradise, which are contrary to what Qur'an says, u would fully support me. Then it would no longer b 'seeking attention' according to you.

Let me tell you this, am not a stray boy from down the street,who copied and pasted this. I took my time, almost a week to build this from scratch. Tbaba and co.,everybody believes are knowledgeable which i admit,but are they the only ones that got knowledge? Are they always right? Why does any muslim who oppose them automatically becomes the villain.

I didn't fabricate this, i listed enough evidences, history,verses,logic, i emphasized the worship of God alone. Why then do you hate this?
Enough of ur b.u.llshit already. you wrote that scratch. ok. kudos. if yu had sed Muhammad was true nd ds nd dat, ofcos he wudnt call yu attention seeker cos then yu wudav been saying the truth, buh what yu av on ground right nau is sooooo very irritating it makes a human being wants to puke
You know what baby?..get a seat and a life. Forget about misconceptions in islam. focus on YOU!!

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 8:00pm On Oct 27, 2013
babylolaroy:
Enough of ur b.u.llshit already. you wrote that scratch. ok. kudos. if yu had sed Muhammad was true nd ds nd dat, ofcos he wudnt call yu attention seeker cos then yu wudav been saying the truth, buh what yu av on ground right nau is sooooo very irritating it makes a human being wants to puke
You know what baby?..get a seat and a life. Forget about misconceptions in islam. focus on YOU!!
in order words you want him to tell you what you want to hear.. sorry to disappoint you babe, life is much more simpler than that, the op is using his brain, mayb u should start using yours

you know what baby??...you should also get a seat and a life. forget about someone else misconception view on islam. focus on YOU grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Bella3(f): 8:03pm On Oct 27, 2013
Interesting.... If this is true, i will consider Islam.... tongue
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by babylolaroy(f): 8:04pm On Oct 27, 2013
beejaay:
in order words you want him to tell you what you want to hear.. sorry to disappoint you babe, life is much more simpler than that, the op is using his brain, mayb u should start using yours

you know what baby??...you should also get a seat and a life. forget about someone else misconception view on islam. focus on YOU grin grin grin

this aint funny dude. obviously i wasnt talking with or to you so stop being a mouthpiece
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by onegig(m): 8:17pm On Oct 27, 2013
usermane:
For those who find the OP and all who support it strange. Welcome to reality. My message is not new,right from time there have existed few muslims, righteous ones that have rejected these misconceptions but unfortuanately the majority were proponents of the misconceptions and easily had their way. Today,there are more of such muslims rejecting this misconceptions,but as freedom of speech seem to be lacking here,most of them can't air their views.

As for those who tell me to go to clerics e.t.c. I don't disagree with you,but i do not completely agree with you. Think; If the clerics were so knowledgeable why do they still differ in a range of issues. The sunnis have their clerics, so do the shiites,who is the real cleric? I listen to them, but am critical of what they say. Am aware of their fallibility(Qur'an 9:31, 34). I have seen some of them who reject these misconceptions and even more which many muslims will not consider as misconception.

Abubakar Shekau(boko haram chief) is very fluent in Arabic, infact he prefers and speak Arabic over English. He is also a mullah,an imam,a sheikh, and a scholar according to his followers and most "muslims" definition of scholars.

But what happened to those his students who preferred his tafsir or fatwa as final over reading the Qur'an in English? What happened to them? They have been soiling the name of Islam in the mud. They have become a threat to Nigerians. They have become the enemy of the very religion they claim to stand for. They have become BOKO HARAM!!!.
so your problem is actually shekua? So you actually think shekua is an Islamic scholar ? Also please don't believe all those things you read on the pages of newspapers. I actually witnessed a crisis some decades back in the north and i could tell you it was purely political but what was been peddled in the newspaper was religious wars and stuff. Thats one.

Secondly, we all do disagree with these sunni and shia division. There was a thread by Sissie some weeks back where she callled lagos shia or so on his inciteful statements and his quotation of shia this shia that in all his posts. I could vividly recall most commentators didn't want to be categorised as either shia or sunni but just wanted to be known as muslims serving their lord.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Akindarchi(m): 9:20pm On Oct 27, 2013
@beejaay... Sorry, but I don't know where u got ur idea from that a thing has to be forced on u before its a fitnah, but what I meant by fitnah in my post was trials I.e is this thread causing more good or more avenues for people to be misled?
Well this is me dropping my quota about the "quran needed to be learned in arabic" myth. I listened to the tafsir of surah humazah(104) by the Nouman Ali Khan, he spent more than 30 minutes explaining the first word of the first ayat which was "waylul", the common translation is "woe to", it is obvious that one wud be doing himself a great injustice by saying the arabic word is just as meaningful as d english closest translation, cuz most of thes words are DEEP. Surah Asr(103) which happens to be one of the shortest surah needed 5 sessions each lasting over 1 hour, that's about 5hours to explain 3 sentences....I doubt the english translations wud require the same time
Further more, the memorisation of the quran has been a major means by which Allah has preserved it.
And @usermane, there seems to be a loophole somewhere. If u say the quran need not be learned in arabic, but it is glaring dat it is easier to learn in arabic and according to statistics it is impossible to learn in any other language (since there is no known record of any one who memorised the entire quran's translation), doesn't that kinda mean u are indirectly discouraging muslims from trying to memorise the quran?
What I think is whether or not it was decreed that d quran is only quran when it is in arabic is beside the point, u just gotta weigh the options (assuming u are like me who doesn't understand arabic), its either u learn the quran in arabic u don't understand at all, or u learn the quran in arabic and then learn the translation of those surah as well as listen to knowledgeable scholars disect these arabic words full of meaning in so many ways, or u learn the quran in a language that carries maybe about 1/10th the original message, or u just don't learn the quran at all. If there is any other option besides learning the classical arabic and then learning the quran that u av in mind pls share, but I know which of these I am choosing regardless of whether learning the quran is compulsory or not. Asalam alaykum

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by onetrack(m): 10:01pm On Oct 27, 2013
Akin d archi: @beejaay... Sorry, but I don't know where u got ur idea from that a thing has to be forced on u before its a fitnah, but what I meant by fitnah in my post was trials I.e is this thread causing more good or more avenues for people to be misled?
Well this is me dropping my quota about the "quran needed to be learned in arabic" myth. I listened to the tafsir of surah humazah(104) by the Nouman Ali Khan, he spent more than 30 minutes explaining the first word of the first ayat which was "waylul", the common translation is "woe to", it is obvious that one wud be doing himself a great injustice by saying the arabic word is just as meaningful as d english closest translation, cuz most of thes words are DEEP. Surah Asr(103) which happens to be one of the shortest surah needed 5 sessions each lasting over 1 hour, that's about 5hours to explain 3 sentences....I doubt the english translations wud require the same time
Further more, the memorisation of the quran has been a major means by which Allah has preserved it.
And @usermane, there seems to be a loophole somewhere. If u say the quran need not be learned in arabic, but it is glaring dat it is easier to learn in arabic and according to statistics it is impossible to learn in any other language (since there is no known record of any one who memorised the entire quran's translation), doesn't that kinda mean u are indirectly discouraging muslims from trying to memorise the quran?
What I think is whether or not it was decreed that d quran is only quran when it is in arabic is beside the point, u just gotta weigh the options (assuming u are like me who doesn't understand arabic), its either u learn the quran in arabic u don't understand at all, or u learn the quran in arabic and then learn the translation of those surah as well as listen to knowledgeable scholars disect these arabic words full of meaning in so many ways, or u learn the quran in a language that carries maybe about 1/10th the original message, or u just don't learn the quran at all. If there is any other option besides learning the classical arabic and then learning the quran that u av in mind pls share, but I know which of these I am choosing regardless of whether learning the quran is compulsory or not. Asalam alaykum

Well then if each word in the arabic Quran has that many possible meanings then it's no wonder that anyone can read into the Quran whatever they want. The Quran is therefore useless as a guidebook.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Akindarchi(m): 10:26pm On Oct 27, 2013
Well, dats y we listen to only certified scholars and not boko haram leaders for quranic lessons... wink and sometimes all the different meanings of the words actually fit the context in different ways...hence some miracles of the quran, but let's not even talk about those here. And other times its not dat d word wud av different meanings, but rather it has a DEEPER meaning that no english word can describe.
For example, translation of solat is prayer, which is an inadequate word in meaning for solat....and our good friend Tbaba1234 gave d example of rahman also, one word but encompassing a lot of characteristics without which it won't be d same word. In arabic they could av 5 different words for one thing, say fear. They wud av one word for fear of an unknown, another word for fear of sometin u av experienced before, another word for irrational fear, another word for fear of sometin someone else narrates to u, and so on, if thses different words were in different parts of the quran and they were all translated to english "fear" the translation loses dat depth of meaning of the kind of fear. I hope u get my drift

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by babylolaroy(f): 11:26pm On Oct 27, 2013
Akin pls can you simply leave the thread?. its not like you can convince him. i think he was bored when he started this. we v kept him company enough pls just let it go. unfollow the thread. we v done the jihad of letting those who may come later know that what is here is not what they need to believe

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by babylolaroy(f): 11:27pm On Oct 27, 2013
onetrack:

Well then if each word in the arabic Quran has that many possible meanings then it's no wonder that anyone can read into the Quran whatever they want. The Quran is therefore useless as a guidebook.
Tabba llaka!!
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by golpen(m): 1:34am On Oct 28, 2013
The Op has a point in his own opinion, but there are places I think he's getting it wrong.

RECITATION/MEMORIZATION IN ARABIC; recitation of the Qur'an in arabic is different from that in other languages. The fact is, the Qur'an was revealed in arabic, and so the best way of reciting it is arabic. However, reading in other languages is not prohibited and their benefits are different. The benefit of reading in another language is limited to understanding, which a muslim who doesn't understand arabic would still need the footnotes despite reading in an understandable language, just as the arabic cconversant person would also have to treat his tafsir. Same same.

Hence, the benefits of reciting the Qur'an in arabic are thus; just few of several:

Preciseness: only the arabic text of the Qur'an is exact (direct from the source-ALLAH), every translation, is human which means it is, no matter how, still subject to opinion of each translator. Some words are best used as translations, but which don't carry the exact meaning of the arabic words to be translated (this also happens to every language). Therefore, reciting in arabic carries out the assignment of the preciseness of the text, although reading with understanding is very important. I think dr zakir naik delivered a lecture on reading with understanding.

Emotions; the Qur'an is so powerful. It touches the heart when recited in arabic. The pronunciation in arabic brings out the quality of the literature (just the way you dance to awilo without understanding french) hence, driving the passion of the reader/listener which helps in bringing them close in remembrance of ALLAH. Here's an example;

Abdus-Samad was asked to recite for some
leaders of the Soviet party. ‘Abdus-Samad
recounts that four to five of his listeners from
the Communist Party were in tears on hearing
the recitation, although they didn't understand
what was being recited, but they cried,
apparently touched by his recitation.
Source: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Basit_'Abd_us-Samad

REWARDS; the reward for reciting the Qur'an is per aaraf (letter), which is calculated reciting in arabic. Reading in other language may not attract this advantage.

My points have not cancelled out the need to read with understanding, even if it means reading in an understandable language and I hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by golpen(m): 1:40am On Oct 28, 2013
onetrack:

You don't really have to display your ignorance and myopia. It is applicable to every language in this world to have a word with multiple meanings. Look up the word 'set' and if you use a standard dictionary, you should get at least 50 different meanings out of about 645 that particular word has. Does it mean the bible you read in english is a useless guidebook?

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Beetle: 1:44am On Oct 28, 2013
Some Selected Verses From The Holy Qur'an On
OUR BELOVED PROPHET MUHAMMAD
Sallallahu 'alayhi wa Sallam

HIS EXALTED STATUS

1. He is Nur (Sacred Light)

O people of the Scripture! (Jews and Christians) Indeed Our (Prophetic) Messenger has come to you, expounding to you much of that which you used to hide from the Scripture, and forgiving much. Undoubtedly, there has come to you a Light from Allah and a clear Book (the Qur’an). (5:15)

2. Allah blesses him

Indeed, Allah and His angels shower blessings on the Prophet. O you who believe! Ask blessings on him and salute him with a worthy salutation. (33:56)

3. Mercy for all the worlds

And We have sent you not except as a mercy for all the worlds. (21:107)

4. His name is Muhammad (Meaning the Most Praised One)

And those who believe and do good deeds and believe in that which is revealed to Muhammad, and it is the Truth from their Lord, He (Allah) removes from them their ill-deeds and improves their state. (47:2)

5. Allah has exalted his Dhikr (Zikr) (remembrance)

Have We not expanded for you your breast?
And removed from you your burden
Which weighed down your back
And exalted for you your dhikr (zikr) (remembrance) (94:1-4)

6. His exaltation on the Night of Mi‘raj : his heavenly ascent

Then he drew near (to his Lord), then he came closer
Till he was (distant) two bows’ lengths or even nearer. (53:8-9)

7. His Station of Praise (Al-Maqam al-Mahmud)

And some part of the night offer Tahajjud (Salah), an additional Prayer for you. Soon, your Lord will raise you to a Station of Praise (the highest position in Paradise). (17:79)

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Beetle: 1:46am On Oct 28, 2013
THE BELOVED OF ALLAH

1. If you want to gain the love of Allah, follow him

Say (O beloved Prophet, to the people): If you love Allah, then follow me; Allah will love you and forgive you your sins, and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (3:31)

2. Allah addresses him with love and affection

O you wrapped up in garments. (73:1)
O you enveloped in a mantle. (74:1)

3. Allah says: Realize that My Prophetic Messenger himself is with you

And know that among you is Allah’s (Prophetic) Messenger; were he to follow your wishes in many a matter, you would surely fall into trouble, but Allah has endeared the Faith to you and has adorned it in your hearts, and He has made hateful to you unbelief and transgression and disobedience; such are those who are the rightly guided. (49:7)

4. Allah describes him with His Own Attributes of Rauf (Most Kind) and Rahim (Merciful)

Assuredly, there has come to you a (Prophetic) Messenger from among yourselves, grievous to him is that you are overburdened, full of concern for you, for the believers (he is) most kind, merciful. (9:128)

5. Allah Himself praises him

O Prophet! Indeed We have sent you as a beholder (witness) and a bearer of glad tidings and a warner. And as a summoner to Allah by His permission, and as an illuminating light. And give glad tidings to the believers that they will have a great bounty from Allah. (33:45-47)

6. Possessor of Allah’s Grace

But for the Grace of Allah upon you (O beloved Prophet), and His Mercy, a party of them had resolved to deceive you, but they mislead no one except themselves and they will not hurt you at all. And Allah has sent down to you the Scripture (the Qur’an) and the Wisdom, and has taught you what you did not know, and the Grace of Allah toward you has been very great. (4:113)

7. He is a special favour of Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta‘ala)

Certainly, Allah has shown a special favour to the believers by raising among them a (Prophetic) Messenger from among themselves who recites to them His verses (of the Qur’an), and purifies them, and teaches them the Scripture (the Qur’an) and the Wisdom, although before (he came to them) they were in manifest error. (3:164)

8. Allah does not punish people if he is in their midst

And Allah would not punish them while you are in their midst, and Allah will not punish them while they seek (His) forgiveness. (8:33)

9. Allegiance to him is allegiance to Allah

Surely, those who pledge allegiance to you (O beloved Prophet), pledge allegiance to Allah. The hand of Allah is over their hands. So whoever breaks his pledge, breaks it only to his own harm; and whoever fulfils his covenant which he has made with Allah, then on him will He bestow an immense reward. (48:10)

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Beetle: 1:49am On Oct 28, 2013
HIS EXEMPLARY CHARACTER

1. Most exemplary character

Indeed in the (Prophetic) Messenger of Allah you have an excellent example (to follow) for him whose hope is in Allah and the Last Day and remembers Allah much. (33:21)

And most surely, you have an exalted moral character. (68:4)

2. Sadiq (Truthful)

And when the Muslim believers saw the confederate forces (of non-believers), they said: “This is what Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger promised us, and Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger told (us) the truth”, and it only added to their Faith and submission (to Allah). (33:22)

3. Final judge and arbiter

But, nay, by your Lord, they do not have (real) Faith until they make you judge of what is in dispute between them and find within themselves no dislike of that which you decide, but submit with full submission. (4:65)

The response of the believers when summoned to Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger that he may judge between them is only that they say: “We hear and we obey”. And it is such as these who are the successful. (24:51)

4. Honoured, Noble

It (the Qur’an) is indeed the Word (of Allah, brought) by an honoured (Prophetic) Messenger. (69:40)

5. Forgiving

Keep to forgiveness (O beloved Prophet) and enjoin what is right, and turn away from the ignorant. (7:199)

6. He is Burhan (Clear Proof)

O mankind! Surely, there has come to you a Clear Proof (Prophet Muhammad) from your Lord and We have sent down to you a clear Light (the Qur’an). (4:174)

7. Brave: Commands Muslims in battle

And (remember) when you did go forth in the morning from your Household to assign to the Muslim believers their positions for the battle (of Uhud), and Allah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing. (3:121)
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Beetle: 1:50am On Oct 28, 2013
BELIEVE, HONOUR, LOVE, RESPECT AND OBEY HIM

1. Believe, honour and respect him

That you (mankind) may believe in Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger, and may respect him, and honour him, and may glorify Him (Allah) morning and evening. (48:9)

That you believe in Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger, and struggle hard in Allah’s way with your property and your persons; that is better for you, if you only knew! (61:11)

2. Love Allah and His Beloved Prophet more than anything else

Say (O Beloved Prophet): If your fathers, and your sons, and your brothers, and your wives, and your kinsfolk, and the wealth you have acquired, and merchandise for which you fear that there will be no sale, and dwellings you desire, are dearer to you than Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger and fighting in His Way: then wait till Allah brings His Command to pass, and Allah does not guide the disobedient people. (9:24)

3. He is closer to the believers than their own selves

The Prophet is closer to the believers than their own selves, and his wives are their mothers. And blood-relations have closer ties one to another in the Book of Allah (regarding inheritance) than (the brotherhood of) the believers and the Migrants (from Makkah), except that you do any good to your friends. This is inscribed in the Book (of Divine Decrees). (33:6)

4. Respect him

O you who believe! Be not forward in the presence of Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger, and be in reverential awe of Allah. Surely, Allah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing.
O you who believe! Raise not your voices above the voice of the Prophet, nor speak aloud when speaking to him as you shout one to another, lest your deeds become worthless while you perceive not.
Surely, those who lower their voices in the presence of the (Prophetic) Messenger of Allah, those are they whose hearts Allah has tested for piety. For them is forgiveness and an immense reward. (49:1-3)

5. Obey Allah (Ta‘ala) and His Beloved Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam)

And obey Allah and the (Prophetic) Messenger that you may obtain mercy. (3:132)

Those are the limits set by Allah, and whoso obeys Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger, He (Allah) will make him enter Gardens (in Paradise) underneath which rivers flow, to abide therein. And that is the great success. (4:13)

O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the (Prophetic) Messenger and those in authority from amongst you, then if you have a dispute concerning any matter, refer it to Allah and the (Prophetic) Messenger if you believe in Allah and the Last Day (of Jedgement). That is better and very good in the end. (4:59)

And whoso obeys Allah and the (Prophetic) Messenger, they will be with those to whom Allah has shown favour, of the Prophets and the Truthful and the Martyrs and the Righteous, and the best of Companions are they! (4:69)

Whoever obeys the (Prophetic) Messenger has indeed obeyed Allah; and whoever turns away, so We have not sent you as a keeper over them. (4:80)

And the believing (Muslim) men and the believing (Muslim) women are protecting friends one of another; they enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong, and they establish regular Prayer and they give the obligatory charity (Zakat), and they obey Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger. As for these, Allah will have mercy on them. Undoubtedly, Allah is Mighty, Wise. (9:71)

And he who obeys Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger, and has reverential awe of Allah, and keeps his duty (to Him): then these it is that are the successful. (24:52)

Say (O Beloved Prophet): “Obey Allah and obey the (Prophetic) Messenger. But if you turn away, he is only responsible for the duty placed on him and you for that placed on you, and if you obey him, you will be rightly guided. And the responsibility of the (Prophetic) Messenger is only to convey (the Message) clearly. (24:54)

And establish regular Prayer and give the obligatory charity (Zakat) and obey the (Prophetic) Messenger, so that mercy may be shown to you (from Allah). (24:56)

O you who believe! Have reverential awe of Allah and speak the right word.
He (Allah) will set right your deeds for you and will forgive you your sins, and whosoever obeys Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger, he has indeed gained a mighty success. (33:70-71)

The bedouins say: “We believe”. Say (to them, O beloved Prophet): “You do not (yet) believe, but rather say ‘We have submitted’, for the Faith has not yet entered your hearts. But if you obey Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger, He will not diminish anything of (the reward of) your deeds. Surely, Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
The (true) believers are only those who have believed in Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger and afterward, have never doubted but have struggled with their wealth and their persons in the Way of Allah. It is they who are the truthful. (49:14-15)

And obey Allah and obey the (Prophetic) Messenger; but if you turn away, then (know that) the duty of our (Prophetic) Messenger is only to convey (the Message) clearly. (64:12)

6. Follow the Commands of Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta‘ala) and of his Beloved Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam)

And it befits not a believing (Muslim) man or a believing (Muslim) woman, when Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger have decreed a matter (for them), that they should (after that) claim any choice in their matter; and whoso disobeys Allah and His (Prophetic) Messenger, he has surely gone astray in manifest error. (33:36)

7. Whatever he gives you, take it

Whatever Allah has restored to His (Prophetic) Messenger from the people of the towns, it is for Allah and for the (Prophetic) Messenger, and for the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarers, so that it may not (merely) circulate between the wealthy among you, and whatever the (Prophetic) Messenger gives you, take it and whatever he forbids you, abstain (from it), and be in reverential awe of Allah; surely Allah is severe in retributing (evil). (59:7)

8. The reward of believing in Allah and His Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam)

O you who believe! Be in reverential awe of Allah and believe in His (Prophetic) Messenger. He (Allah) will give you twofold of His Mercy and will appoint for you a light wherein you shall walk, and will forgive you, and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (57:28)
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Beetle: 2:07am On Oct 28, 2013
"Verily we have sent it down as an Arabic Qur'an in order that you may understand." [Al-Qur'an 12:2]

And likewise the Most Glorious said (which means):

"And thus We have inspired unto you (O Muhammad) an Arabic Qur'an that you may warn the mother of the towns (Makkah) and all around it." [Al-Qur'an 42:7]

And The Exalted said (which means):

"And truly this (the Qur'an) is a revelation from the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinn and all that exists), which the trustworthy Ruh (Jibril) has brought down upon your heart (O Muhammad) that you may be (one) of the warners, in the plain Arabic language." [Al-Qur'an 26:192-195]

And He the Most High also said (which means):

"A Book whereof the verses are explained in detail, a Qur'an in Arabic for people who know." [Al-Qur'an 41:3]

So from these verses we see why the Arabic language has reached its station due to the fact that Allah has guaranteed its protection when He undertook upon Himself the preservation of this Noble Qur'an since it is the language of that Book.

The Most Merciful said (which means):

"Verily! It is We who have sent down the Reminder (i.e. the Qur'an) and surely We will guard it (from corruption)." [Al-Qur'an 15:9]
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 4:49am On Oct 28, 2013
beejaay:
the two questions u raise aren't mutually exclusive.. they both go hand in hand. its now left for readers to either look into it, look beyound it or look behind it (its our call not his)..

@beejay, i really don't know how to thank you for supporting the thread against the opposers. My battery ran down and unfortunately, i slept up while waiting for my battery to be full. Otherwise, i would have taken my time. So i was right all along, if i had open this thread in Muslim section it would have been deleted long ago and few keen muslims and non muslims would have been denied their right of learning something. The mods there have not been able to curb sectarianism so far. It still spreading there. A whole lot of these misconceptions only drives muslims and non muslim considering Islam farther from GOD. And nothing is wrong with the forum other than that they are unwilling to treat issues like this justly. And how many times have people gone quietly to ask them these questions but they took it out on the person. It may be the same whether you show them verses as the OP or not, they may likely stick to the clerics' opinions. And every messenger GOD has sent, the very clerics whom people seek knowledge and guidance from were the opposers. How can christians or non muslims to embrace Islam when muslims are not ready to handle the truth about the errors of their practices.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by ummsulaym(f): 4:52am On Oct 28, 2013
Gaskiya, people full NL o...
Usermane, I had an encounter with you on either the very first or second thread I posted on, on NL and I could still remember you told me sometimes you call yourself a muslim and sometimes you don't... I thought you were confused and that actually got me confused too but now I understand better...
Guess, this is just one of the threads you create whenever you are in your 'not a muslim' state...
If not to explain things to some nairalanders who may ignorantly believe in your corrupted explanations of some islamic conceptions, I would have wished everyone left you to your thread*that's knowing who you are*...
I understand the zeal to explain certain things about Islam when you have no knowledge of it and you wish it's how you want it to be but brother, let's agree we are student of knowledge and seek for knowledge instead of creating a misleading thread like this one...
NL is not all 'Ideal/perfect' but I believe I can still learn one or two things about our deen... Think you should also embark on that 'quest for knowledge' journey on and off NL. #Imho
It's better for you....
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 6:07am On Oct 28, 2013
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 6:09am On Oct 28, 2013
And if i had mentioned the OP, in a muslim gathering,i could have been dealt with.
Though i never rubbished learning/memorising Qur'an in Arabic, i dealt with the cons. We don't have to go over that anymore,you can re-read misconception 02. Those reading the Qur'an frequently in their language learn a lot of things apart from the laws,warning and glad tidings,drawing them closer to GOD. Those who read in the language they don't understand, we have seen a lot of them. They plan to learn arabic in later days or read the translation later, but in the end some of them get distracted and forget their target,some get misled, and others passed away before their mission is accomplished. And what about sincere christians trying to verify the author of Qur'an(as GOD) by studying it(Qur'an 4:82)? Do they have to learn arabic too? Or do they go about inquiring from fallible clerics. They are many of such persons today, saying, "If i had learn't Islam from the muslims,never would i have embraced it".

There are lot of arabs and even non arabs, some of who understand arabic better than the mallams here. But even with that the clerics and scholars still discourage them from trying to read the Qur'an using their GOD given intellects. You have learnt arabic, great! But how come you still can't read Qur'an for the meaning. Most of them are talked into further learning the countless volumes of hadith books as another prerequisite before they can think of reading Qur'an for the meaning. And with the countless volumes of hadiths and then the commentaries, this is hard work. I doubt if even Imam Bukhari could have touched Imam muslim or Abudawood 's compilation and vice versa. Are you the one going to learn through all of them?

The consequence is gradual deviation from the gradual of GOD
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Sissie(f): 7:25am On Oct 28, 2013
usermane:

@beejay, i really don't know how to thank you for supporting the thread against the gang. My battery ran down and lucky for the gang, i slept up while waiting for my battery to be full. Otherwise, i would have taken my time. So i was right all along, if i had open this thread in Muslim section it would have been deleted long ago and few keen muslims and non muslims would have been denied their right of learning something. The mods there are not curbing sectarianism. They are facilitating it. Their attempt to paint their false doctrines as part of Islam only drives them and non muslim considering Islam farther from GOD. And nothing corrupt the forum other than that they prefer the word of men over the word of GOD and they are averse to those who question them. And how many times have people gone quietly to ask them these questions but they took it out on the person. I know there are few good ones among them but it doesn't change anything about the whole gang.

Theirs no compulsion in religion, truth stands clear from falsehood.

Seriously!!!! We the "gang", most of us had civil conversation on here, we even agreed that some of what you wrote had some truths in it. And you are here writing about how if it was Muslim section your thread would have been closed, this is so not true Shia's thread are still in the section and we do argue and discuss about it, the mod your talking about even recommended al baqir thread and it made front page.

If we had refused to comment, it would be tagged as us not wanting to discuss. You wish you would have been dealt with in islamic gatherings.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by golpen(m): 7:43am On Oct 28, 2013
Mr username is a very wonderful person. He's a good diplomat according to this following definition; someone who tells a fool to go to hell in such a way that the poor guy looks forward to the trip. He has a point in some aspects, but his massive flaws cannot be exaggerated.

Imagine he has a problem with an arab reading the Qur'an and still has to go deep into the explanation (tafsir), because he feels the arab man can understand the text? But I'm so sure he must have passed through a level of schooling for him to have written a well constructed text. Then let's ask him why he attended those classes since he understands english enough for him to have gone through that textbook on his own.

His christian supporters should also think that they have been foolish to attend sunday schools and bible colleges, instead of reading the bible themselves. Please react to my earlier post and let's see if you've learnt something.

Don't mind username, he's just one of those impersonators that claim to be a muslim. ALLAH has spoken of shaitan in suratu yaasin 60-63 and his mission of leading so many people astray, our mr username is just one of his devices, so muslims BEWARE!!!

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 7:46am On Oct 28, 2013
Sissie:

Theirs no compulsion in religion, truth stands clear from falsehood.

Seriously!!!! We the "gang", most of us had civil conversation on here, we even agreed that true some of what you write had some truths in it. And you are here writing about how if it was Muslim section your thread would have been closed, this is so not true Shia's thread are still in the section and we do argue and discuss about it, the mod your talking about even recommended al baqir thread and it made front page.

If we had refused to comment, it would be tagged as us not wanting to discuss. You wish you would have been dealt with on islamic gatherings.

Yeah, the truth stands clear from falsehood.

The op opened this thread considerably with a lot of hardwork here
-non-muslims came peacefully- some were impressed, some learnt and some disagreed
-some muslims (we know them) came with insults and accusations that the op is looking for attention
-some muslims (we know them) stated their views and left
-some muslims (we know them) kept derailing and questioning the op's intention rather than looking at the content.

Sorry, but the way you and some of your muslim cabal behaved is like you have things to hide and are scared that outside the islam section, you have no control

This is as clear as daylight.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 2:48pm On Oct 28, 2013
Akin d archi: Well, dats y we listen to only certified scholars and not boko haram leaders for quranic lessons... wink
and how do u decide who is a certified scholar and who is not who award certificate of certification and who confer excellence on individuals for competence (cos am sure God doesnt annoint anyone)

Akin d archi:
and sometimes all the different meanings of the words actually fit the context in different ways...hence some miracles of the quran, but let's not even talk about those here. And other times its not dat d word wud av different meanings, but rather it has a DEEPER meaning that no english word can describe.
For example, translation of solat is prayer, which is an inadequate word in meaning for solat....and our good friend Tbaba1234 gave d example of rahman also, one word but encompassing a lot of characteristics without which it won't be d same word. In arabic they could av 5 different words for one thing, say fear. They wud av one word for fear of an unknown, another word for fear of sometin u av experienced before, another word for irrational fear, another word for fear of sometin someone else narrates to u, and so on, if thses different words were in different parts of the quran and they were all translated to english "fear" the translation loses dat depth of meaning of the kind of fear. I hope u get my drift

there is deeper meaning in all languages but then there is a simple one word meaning... just like peace can be explained in 1000 ways in english the same way Salam can be explained 1000ways in arabic to but then peace=salam (no addition and no subtraction anything else is a form of distraction)
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 3:08pm On Oct 28, 2013
No language is superior in this world.they all carry equal weight. There is even an hadith that says loving one's country/nation is part of worship. So if this is so y shd i place a tribe/nation/language above my own? Y shd i make my language second class? All d wonderful names in arabic can b translated to any languages of d world.y shd i make my language name second name and make anoda first name? Y cnt d arabs love yoruba and adopt it as their first name too. Placing arabic language above all else is simply mind game and a tool for control, sometin they av been doing for eons dt we av erroneously acept to b true. Unda strict scrutiny we wil find it to b false.u wil even c ppl askin for ur muslim name(aka islamic name) when u told them ur name is opeyemi as if opeyemi is nt a muslim name. I have already started enlighten ppl around here and they av started changing (infact mst of them marvel at hw silly they av been for years)...

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 3:15pm On Oct 28, 2013
Ahah they av tranfered d thread down here (i don dey c warnings). @op bye bye cos i dnt wanna b banne or av my post hidden for silly reasons.. Kei this ppl ehn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Story Of Prophet Luut / Prohibitions That Are Taken Too Lightly / Ruling On Trading In Currencies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.