Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,217 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. (1922 Views)

5 Reasons Why Pastors Do Not Need Private Jets / Tunde Bakare - Pastors Should Not Make Their Wives Pastors / Why Pastors Children Often Embrace Cultism, Prostitution, Etc? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by ayobase(m): 12:19pm On Oct 26, 2013
We have had, and still having, and will be having series of Pastors’ bashings and lips-lashings laced, with very derogatory statements amidst false and true allegations over the years on Internet e.g Nairaland. Some cases are indeed true, while false are some.

Unconsciously or consciously, it is like we have been programmed to believe that Pastors (Christians) are meant to be poor, and die wretched. Maybe because the Bible says it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than a rich man making heaven.

We tend to believe that they are not eligible to having some basic luxuries, e.g. old model cars instead of latest cars, face-me-I-face-you apartment instead of prestigious mansion, commercial flight instead of private jets, “kitto” or old haggard foot wears instead of Italian shoes, over-sized wrinkled suit instead of elegant body-fitted suit, “Mallam Haruna” perfumes instead of designer perfumes, unkempt hair/beard instead of nice hair-cut, big printed bible instead of e-bible, and the likes!

Reading this piece, to enjoying the purpose of this piece, then issues such as Pastors being scammers, tithe gobblers, miracles/signs/wonders magicians, wives snatchers or adulterers/fornicators, jet owners, billionaires, politicians, and the likes should be taken off one’s mind.

Try envisaging Pastor in the likes of Engineer, Doctor, Accountant, Economist, Pilot, Surveyor, Builder, and what have you. Pastorship is a profession as well. Spiritual Profession.

Will you say other professionals shouldn’t live luxurious lifestyles?

We all should know that being a Pastor is not an easy task, and it is not a JOB a lazy man will dabble into. NO LAZY MAN CAN RUN A CHURCH! Pastoring involves MAXIMUM discipline.

Check out these reasons;
1. A pastor prepares sermon for the day: The minimum of three (3) sermons a week (Sunday service, Tuesday Bible Study, and Thursday Prayer meeting), making twelve (12) sermons a month.

Of which will be one hundred and forty four (144) sermons a year.

Minimum of 144 sermons/topics a year o!

2. Counseling and Guidance: Besides Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday meetings, the Pastor would set out days within the week for counseling and guidance (settling of disputes also). We can easily say that a Pastor is always week-long engaged serving/attending to the members’ spiritual growths, needs and problems.

3. Emergency Calls: Just as a nurse and a doctor, a Pastor can be called at the middle of the night for emergency.

4. Writing and Publishing: Besides the preparation of sermons, at least a Pastor makes sure he writes on a topic each day to compile devotional book for days, weeks, months or year, like Daily manna by Pastor Chris, and Open Heaven by Pastor E.A. Adeboye (365 topics each year)

Some of us still dey find am hard to update our blogs with owned articles.

5. Attendance In Ceremonies: A Pastor attends functions of members (child christening, weddings, burials, etc) either at convenient times or not.

6. Finance Issues: Though delegated, a Pastor supports makes sure the financial status of the church is balanced for record purposes, accountability and transparency.

7. Invitations: A Pastor could be at any time called upon for religious, or socio-economic, or business lectures. Concerned and appropriate research must be made to complement topics at functions as the case may be.

8. Guarantor/Referee: A Pastor sometimes stands as guarantor or referee to some members who have no one to help out or not capable.

9. Scapegoat: A Pastor could be held responsible for some members’ issues/cases.

10. No Vacation: Pastor hardly go on vacation/holiday o….24/7 non-stop activity....vacations are always on the mountains, or on a very special period.

11. Death Threat: A Pastor’s life is always at stake both in the physical and the spiritual.

12. Self-Denial: A Pastor could go on fasting and prayer for spiritual exercise for days, weeks and months.

13. Researching and Studying: Since more is always expected from/of a Pastor, a Pastor goes on and on to broadening his intellect in every facet, even in English Language; A Pastor dares not shoot a bullet. That one na GOBE o!

14. Retentive Memory: A Pastor must be able to quote or refer to any part of the Bible at any point in time. Why called a Pastor when can’t quote scriptures upon scriptures off-hand.

15. Sacrifice: A Pastor does make sacrifice via giving up most of personal activities because of the church’s work load.

16. No Defaulting: A Pastor would go on with religious activities and obligations without excuse, even when there is crisis (financial or matrimonial)

17. A Confidant: A Pastor is a bag of people’s secrets. The Pastor is always trusted, dependable, flexible, friendly, honest, patient, punctual, sincere, understanding, and able to manage people and conflicts.

And you should know that I am talking about an AVERAGE and DISCIPLINED PASTOR here. I am yet to mention Pastors authoring books.

http://johnomolaolu..com/2015/05/the-reasons-why-pastors-should-be-well.html

Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by vickyO(f): 2:16pm On Oct 26, 2013
don't mid the stingy Christians.... I agree with you bro
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 26, 2013
See these thieving pastors....mtchew.

Keep looking for avenues for your pastors to steal. Mtchew....highest paid my foot
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:38pm On Oct 26, 2013
vickyO: don't mid the stingy Christians.... I agree with you bro

Maga must pay.

How about pastor marrying beautiful wives like Abraham, david, solomon, okotie and chris?

Dem go steal your hard earn money and your womanhood....wise up
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by mumumugu(m): 5:33pm On Oct 26, 2013
Make aasu lecturers no see this one ooo else strike no go end
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by ayobase(m): 7:13pm On Oct 26, 2013
Please and please, let's not bring religious sentiments into this. Let's be socially and professionally objective about this biko!

Pls, no religious bashings. It is a thread for fun to know the reasons why Pastors should/shouldn't be the highest paid!

Nothing personal biko!

At least, a Pastor's case is better than most Politicians'.
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by Nobody: 7:22pm On Oct 26, 2013
What makes one a pastor?

A certificate from a Bible school? Claim to have had a vision from God?
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by PastorKun(m): 7:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
Daft thread angry
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by tpia5: 8:02pm On Oct 26, 2013
not to mention their families are permanently under attack from within and without.
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by nora544: 8:08pm On Oct 26, 2013
How long did a pastor go to bible school

Need a Pastor a Master degree like a doctor for medicine

With the computer it is so easy to write all what he want, he can also look every time what write an other pastor, make some changes in the words and in 5 Minutes i have what i want.

All what you write is bullshit a Pastor is like any other working person and what they tell about vision and miracles and that they can help you with your prayers that you need no doctor.

Sell Water because it helps that you will not get ill, than what is with this hankerchiefs they sell.

Most Pastors are business man not more.

Christianity is a big business in NIgeria and the pastors can make all what celebritis make also they are stars, heros.

Many people work harder than this Pastors beliefe me.

So why a Pastor should live in luxury.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by Nobody: 8:16pm On Oct 26, 2013
"We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored! 11 To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. 12 We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. We have become the scum of the earth, the garbage of the world—right up to this moment." - 1 Corinthians 4:10-13

- Paul

"Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give. "Do not acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your money belts, or a bag for your journey, or even two coats, or sandals, or a staff; for the worker is worthy of his support.…" - Matthew 10: 8- 9

- Jesus

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by PastorKun(m): 8:19pm On Oct 26, 2013
frosbel: "We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored! 11 To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. 12 We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. We have become the scum of the earth, the garbage of the world—right up to this moment." - 1 Corinthians 4:10-13

- Paul

"Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give. "Do not acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your money belts, or a bag for your journey, or even two coats, or sandals, or a staff; for the worker is worthy of his support.…" - Matthew 10: 8- 9

- Jesus

Obviously the pastors the OP is referring to are not serving Christ.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by tpia5: 8:33pm On Oct 26, 2013
nora544: How long did a pastor go to bible school

With the computer it is so easy to write all what he want, he can also look every time what write an other pastor, make some changes in the words and in 5 Minutes i have what i want.

All what you write is bullshit a Pastor is like any other working person and what they tell about vision and miracles and that they can help you with your prayers that you need no doctor.

Sell Water because it helps that you will not get ill, than what is with this hankerchiefs they sell.

Christianity is a big business in NIgeria and the pastors can make all what celebritis make also they are stars, heros.

i believe the inconvenience the pastor is subjected to by having to play advocate and patiently listen all the time and be called on to find solutions to everyone's problems while putting his own comfort, safety and well being on a back seat, is what the op is referring to.

and of course, fake or satanic pastors are not what the thread is about.

not sure i get your point, can you explain more?
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by nora544: 8:39pm On Oct 26, 2013
tpia@:

i believe the inconvenience the pastor is subjected to by having to play advocate and patiently listen all the time and be called on to find solutions to everyone's problems while putting his own comfort, safety and well being on a back seat, is what the op is referring to.

and of course, fake or satanic pastors are not what the thread is about.

not sure i get your point, can you explain more?

How long has a Pastor to go to bible school that he can start working as pastor please tell me i hear something about 6 month
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by tpia5: 8:49pm On Oct 26, 2013
no idea, check with the bible schools.
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by ayobase(m): 2:42pm On Oct 27, 2013
Pastor Kun: Daft thread angry

And u think u are not daft for not knowing what the thread is all about.

Don't come make mess of this place with ur one-way thinking!

@Tpia, thanks for understanding the purpose of this thread!
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by ayobase(m): 2:54pm On Oct 27, 2013
nora544: How long did a pastor go to bible school

Easier said than done, just as some MUMU husbands will tell their wives what is the big deal about taking care of the house and cooking!
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by ayobase(m): 3:05pm On Oct 27, 2013
frosbel: "We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored! 11 To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. 12 We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. We have become the scum of the earth, the garbage of the world—right up to this moment." - 1 Corinthians 4:10-13

- Paul

- Jesus

Is it "do not acquire" or "do not take along"

Why must you twist the Bible for your selfish gain to misleading people!

And I indeed gave a warning about people like you...must you turn every religious thread into mess with ur bigotry!

Is it even ideal for a christian let alone of a pastor to beg for things cos he did something for his neighbours or needies as commanded!

Go read I Corinthians 9:1-27

But take this verse 11-14 as a pill, "if we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you? 12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more? But we did not use this righ. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ. 13 Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those that serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel"

From the Master Paul you quoted.
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by anukulapo: 6:00am On Oct 28, 2013
Ah,this one na big issue o. Maybe Pastors should be well paid but not like the highest paid.
You don consider the soldiers for yobe and maidiguri? I think they should be the highest paid.
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by Joagbaje(m): 7:41am On Oct 28, 2013
^^^^

Soldiers
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by Joagbaje(m): 7:45am On Oct 28, 2013
@op

1 Timothy 5:17-18 LIVING BIBLE
Pastors who do their work well should be paid well and should be highly appreciated, especially those who work hard at both preaching and teaching. For the Scriptures say, "Never tie up the mouth of an ox when it is treading out the grain-- let him eat as he goes along!" And in another place, "Those who work deserve their pay!"

The irony of the matter is that most denomination pastors even recieve pay from church because the have their jobs and businesses . It's one of the first considerations because the ministry work demand so much that a pastor most times have to put his business money into the running of the church.

Those who attack pastors here don't really know the labour and sacrifice of a pastor .apart from the demanding private job of a pastor , the demanding family life, the preparation of sermons which require much studies of the bible and every readable material . Because a pastor has to delve into several issues so he must read wide .

Since his work is spiritual he must spend much time praying for Gods people.

Acts 6:4
But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.

While people are resting from the day he is studying . In the middle of the night he is interceding in prayers for them to stand in all the will of God. If he is into power ministry such as healing and casting out devils , he must constantly give himself to prayers.

After service he is Counselling people for hours . Some have less time for family. That's why. Paul didn't consider marriage becsuse ministry is demanding and it's a place of sacrifice .

Yet he face persecution from jobless critics and the devil especially when God begin to reward his good work with some comfort .

Galatians 6:17
From henceforth let no man trouble me:for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by Candour(m): 8:00pm On Oct 28, 2013
Why not? A pastor should be highest paid if the company over which he's CEO is churning out a huge profit and they publish their profit and loss account so the regulatory agencies can verify and endorse. If the company can satisfy all these, by the laws of the land, he's qualified to approach the shareholders and ask for the biggest salary in the land.

The only snag is a church isn't a company and isn't in business of money making.

However, is there any difference between churches of today and any secular commercial enterprise?

Abeg Mr pastor, go ahead and award yourself a raise. Who dares to question an anointed man?
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by tpia5: 8:26pm On Oct 28, 2013
ayobase:

And u think u are not daft for not knowing what the thread is all about.

Don't come make mess of this place with ur one-way thinking!

@Tpia, thanks for understanding the purpose of this thread!

You're welcome.
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by tpia5: 8:27pm On Oct 28, 2013
Logicboy

I will call for your ban if you insult me (unprovoked) again.

Learn to control yourself,
Re: Reasons Why Pastors Should Be Well Paid. by ayobase(m): 1:57pm On May 19, 2015
anukulapo:
Ah,this one na big issue o. Maybe Pastors should be well paid but not like the highest paid.
You don consider the soldiers for yobe and maidiguri? I think they should be the highest paid.

saw this after I revisited the Topic of discussion.

been 2 years fah!

(1) (Reply)

Read This Article It Might Save Your Life: The Antidotes Of God / Shiloh 2015 Winners Chapel: Theme,date,venue/ From Glory To Glory / 10 Reasons Why You Need Jesus In Your Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.