Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Even Atheist Fear God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Even Atheist Fear God (2020 Views)

If There Is No Heaven Will You Still Serve And Fear God ? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Tonto Dike Does Nt Fear God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Even Atheist Fear God by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 28, 2013
The heads and hearts of atheists may not be on precisely the same page. That’s the implication of recently published researchfrom Finland, which finds avowed non-believers become emotionally aroused when daring God to do terrible things.
“The results imply that atheists’ attitudes toward God are ambivalent, in that their explicit beliefs conflict with their affective response,” concludes a research team led by University of Helsinki psychologist Marjaana Lindeman. Its study is published in theInternational Journal for the Psychology of Religion.
Lindeman and her colleagues describe two small-scale experiments. The first featured 17 Finns, recruited online, who expressed high levels of belief, or disbelief, in God. They read out loud a series of statements while skin conductance data was collected via electrodes placed on two of their fingers.
Some of the statements were direct dares to a deity (“I dare God to make my parents drown”). Others were similarly disturbing, but did not reference God (“It’s OK to kick a puppy in the face”). Still others were bland and neutral (“I hope it’s not raining today”).
The arousal levels of the believers and non-believers followed precisely the same pattern: Higher for both the God dares and otherwise unpleasant statements, and lower for the neutral ones.
Compared to the atheists, the believers reported feeling more uncomfortable reciting the God dares. But skin conductance data revealed the underlying emotional reactions of the two groups were essentially the same. This suggests that taunting God made the atheists more upset than they were letting on (even to themselves).
Of course, perhaps it wasn’t the presence of God, but rather the subject matter of the statements (such as the death of their parents) that caused the atheists’ emotional arousal. The second experiment was designed to test that hypothesis. It featured 19 Finnish atheists, who participated in an expanded version of the first experiment. It included 10 additional statements—variations on the God dares which excluded any mention of supernatural forces. For example, in addition to “I dare God to turn all my friends against me,” they read out loud the statement: “I wish all of my friends would turn against me.”
The results: The atheists showed greater emotional arousal when reading the God-related statements than while reading the otherwise nearly identical sentences that omitted the almighty. To the researchers, this indicates that “even atheists have difficulty daring God to harm themselves and their loved ones.”
“There are at least four potential explanations for these findings,” Lindeman and her colleagues write. The simplest and most provocative is that “atheists’ explicit beliefs may differ from the implicit reactions that exist outside of conscious awareness.”
But other possibilities are equally plausible. Atheists “may have found using the word God stressful because others, possibly their friends and family, do take God seriously,” they note. Alternatively, they may have found the idea of God “absurd or aversive,” leading to the heightened emotional response.
Finally, the researchers note, “although atheists did not currently believe in God, they may have been influenced by their own previous beliefs.” They point to research from 2006that found three-quarters of American atheists were once believers.
Perhaps the emotional response measured in this study is an echo of that previous belief. If so, it suggests that even for committed non-believers, it’s difficult to totally erase the idea of God from one’s psychehttp://www.alternet.org/belief/even-atheists-fear-word-god-study-suggests

2 Likes

Re: Even Atheist Fear God by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:21am On Oct 28, 2013
And you dont believe in Allah.....you are atheist-christian.

To the muslims, you are foolish and doom.

Mind taking your gospel to dogs? They have love and compassion than you do without believing in Jesus crap....go and preach to them
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by Nobody: 7:45am On Oct 28, 2013
Your reply does not comform with the topic but if you want to know

Brotherly,Muslims serve the moon god not God...
They are practicing what is not suppose to be...
The word allah is gotten from alilah which was shortend in Premohammed era...because there were more 300 gods in Arabia but Allah seems to have supremacy among them and that is where he got the name....Allah which means the deity,most supremed god...

Another you should is that Mohammed's Father was has allah as part of their names...The fact those Pagans could give their children Allah is a clear proof that he was a god not God almighty

1 Like

Re: Even Atheist Fear God by kambo(m): 2:23pm On Oct 28, 2013
interestg. I read a jack chick publication on it.
The symbols of islam (crescent and scimitar) and their religious holidays which hinge on definite moon phases hint this.
The deeper core ones chant incantations into d moon! (false religions cant help gettng mystical at darker echelons of their deceptive hierarchies)
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 28, 2013
How come d so-called atheist re mute to dis
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by Avicenna: 9:47pm On Oct 28, 2013
Elantracey: How come d so-called atheist re mute to dis

Did you even read the OP?

Extremely shitty conclusion s/he drew up.

Excrement( like this thread) are best avoided.

God is a powerless, non existent imagination. Your God is a fool
Your God is a slowpoke
Your God does not exist.
Your God is a fool, a slowpoke and does not exist.
God.....
And so on and so forth.
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by Nobody: 10:01pm On Oct 28, 2013
Thanx tracey...they all read it and could not talk again
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by NoProphecy: 10:07pm On Oct 28, 2013
I am an atheist and I am scared shitless of the monkey God Hanuman. Even Christians fear Hanuman!
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 28, 2013
The op and title dont even fit.....

The study itself does not meet the conclusion that the op is trying to make

Yet....some foolish christians swallowed it u....gaddem
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by lanaVello1(m): 10:28pm On Oct 28, 2013
LB....you never get tired. dyu?! tongue
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by NoProphecy: 10:53pm On Oct 28, 2013
Hanuman is real. Let him into your heart...Don't be afraid.

[img]http://mohansuniverse.files./2011/02/lord-hanuman-wallpaper1.jpg[/img]
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by Nobody: 11:07pm On Oct 28, 2013
NoProphecy: Hanuman is real. Let him into your heart...Don't be afraid.

[img]http://mohansuniverse.files./2011/02/lord-hanuman-wallpaper1.jpg[/img]

Thatz a demon that became real after someone imagined it through the help of a Demon
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by fadosky607(m): 11:33pm On Oct 28, 2013
@ FOLYKAZE, Logicboy and the other atheists. U are only being hateful here and not being logical. U just don't condemn what someone believes in just like that without giving a sound reason why u feel or think otherwise... That's not mature guys. Why do u not believe in God's existence? Simply because u can't see him or because there are probably just too many religions who claim to have faith in the same God, and so u are confused? Am pretty sure u guys didn't grow up to be atheists but became atheists at sompoint in ur lives. What changed ur views? What research did u make that gave u this conclusion?
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:44pm On Oct 28, 2013
Divepen: Your reply does not comform with the topic but if you want to know

The word allah is gotten from alilah which was shortend in Premohammed era...because there were more 300 gods in Arabia but Allah seems to have supremacy among them and that is where he got the name....Allah which means the deity,most supremed god...

Another you should is that Mohammed's Father was has allah as part of their names...The fact those Pagans could give their children Allah is a clear proof that he was a god not God almighty

And your bible God is not God almighty.....he is god of the hills
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by NoProphecy: 11:49pm On Oct 28, 2013
fadosky607: @ FOLYKAZE, Logicboy and the other atheists. U are only being hateful here and not being logical. U just don't condemn what someone believes in just like that without giving a sound reason why u feel or think otherwise... That's not mature guys. Why do u not believe in God's existence? Simply because u can't see him or because there are probably just too many religions who claim to have faith in the same God, and so u are confused? Am pretty sure u guys didn't grow up to be atheists but became atheists at sompoint in ur lives. What changed ur views? What research did u make that gave u this conclusion?

Did you grow up not believing in Hanuman? If not, what changed your mind? Many people believe in Hanuman, why can't you? It is not mature to believe in the only God that you have ever really thought about. It is a joke. Kind of like a person who has only eaten potatoes their entire life loudly and militantly proclaiming that potatoes are the only food worth eating. Only a fool would do this. Open your heart to Hanuman. The rewards await you...
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:49pm On Oct 28, 2013
fadosky607: @ FOLYKAZE, Logicboy and the other atheists. U are only being hateful here and not being logical. U just don't condemn what someone believes in just like that without giving a sound reason why u feel or think otherwise... That's not mature guys. Why do u not believe in God's existence? Simply because u can't see him or because there are probably just too many religions who claim to have faith in the same God, and so u are confused? Am pretty sure u guys didn't grow up to be atheists but became atheists at sompoint in ur lives. What changed ur views? What research did u make that gave u this conclusion?

note : I dont condemn his belief because of anything.....i dont have problem with those that worship animals in as much you dont force your delusion down people's throat. Do you read the topic? He called for us.

Also....the reason you dont believe in Allah, Thor, Zeus and Osiris is the reason I dont believe in your God. So at a point, we are the same.

All other you asked are embedded in the above
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by NoProphecy: 11:50pm On Oct 28, 2013
Divepen:

Thatz a demon that became real after someone imagined it through the help of a Demon

A demon made up Jesus and tricked you into believing it. See the TRUTH! Love Hanuman.
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 28, 2013
Folykaze,my God is the God of the holls and the valley also...He is the God of the air and the seas,The God of stone and sand he owns everything..including you

1 Like

Re: Even Atheist Fear God by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:26am On Oct 29, 2013
Divepen: Folykaze,my God is the God of the holls and the valley also...He is the God of the air and the seas,The God of stone and sand he owns everything..including you

When your God tampered on the plains, he was defeated by chariot army. He can only win war on hills because he is god of the hills.

Your God didn't own everything....he is god of israel only and inherited it.

I know who owns me.....daddy folykaze......lol
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by khattab02: 12:44am On Oct 29, 2013

Will you stop leading people with lies! How can the muslims worship the moon created by Almighty God? There is nothing like moon god or worshipping moon in Islam. It is a very great error to say that Allaah 'nauzubillah' was among the Idols worshipped by the pagan arabs. Allaah(God almighty) was never among the Idols. To know the definition, uniqueness and oneness of Allah(Almighty God) go to surah Iklass 112:1-4. Which says; 1. Say He is Allah the one and only. 2. Allah the eternal,the Absolute. 3. He begets not, nor was He begotten. 4. There is none co-equal or comparable to Him. This four line definition of Almighty God is called the touchstone of theology. Point to be corrected, the name of the father of the Noble Prophet( peace and blessings of Almighty God be upon him) is NOT Allah, it is Abdullah meaning servant of Almighty God(Allah). No muslim has and will ever name his child Allaah. Hope this help clears some of your misconceptions. Thank you!
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by macof(m): 5:01pm On Oct 29, 2013

You do realize that's how Yahweh started

Abraham worshipped one of the numerous gods of his village, but he also recognized other gods.

El is the supreme God in pre-judaic canaanland and all semitians shared the same belief. The religion is called Semitism it came to an end during the time of Moses.

So don't u dare raise christianity or judaism above Islam.

You all started off as pagan spiritualities
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 29, 2013
macof:

You do realize that's how Yahweh started

Abraham worshipped one of the numerous gods of his village, but he also recognized other gods.

El is the supreme God in pre-judaic canaanland and all semitians shared the same belief. The religion is called Semitism it came to an end during the time of Moses.

So don't u dare raise christianity or judaism above Islam.

You all started off as pagan spiritualities
sorry,but iv got to mark you off
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by macof(m): 5:12pm On Oct 29, 2013
Divepen:
sorry,but iv got to mark you off
Off course I expect nothing more from you but I'll continue doing my duty as a child of Orunmila.
I'll preach Imo, Ogbon ati Oye
It's left to you to research yourself and believe wat u like.

The same way u refuse to believe me that's how muslims don't believe u

You are all the same
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 29, 2013
macof:
Off course I expect nothing more from you but I'll continue doing my duty as a child of Orunmila.
I'll preach Imo, Ogbon ati Oye
It's left to you to research yourself and believe wat u like.

The same way u refuse to believe me that's how muslims don't believe u

You are all the same

My God wl never let me serve a god i can create with my hand and br8k wena i wishd;Orunmila god of what
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by macof(m): 10:59pm On Oct 29, 2013
Divepen:

My God wl never let me serve a god i can create with my hand and br8k wena i wishd;Orunmila god of what

Ase! God will not let u worship a god u can make an break with your hand

Orunmila isn't a god anyone can break
Olodumare is his father
Orunmila is omniscient
Orunmila is wise
Orunmila is the second after Olodumare
Orunmila holds all knowledge, wisdom and understanding of the universe

Orunmila a gbe wa o, Ase!
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by italo: 7:00am On Oct 30, 2013
Avicenna:

Did you even read the OP?

Extremely shitty conclusion s/he drew up.

Excrement( like this thread) are best avoided.

God is a powerless, non existent imagination. Your God is a fool
Your God is a slowpoke
Your God does not exist.
Your God is a fool, a slowpoke and does not exist.
God.....
And so on and so forth.

Scientific research suggests that you're in psychological discomfort when you type that. grin
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 30, 2013
macof:

Ase! God will not let u worship a god u can make an break with your hand

Orunmila isn't a god anyone can break
Olodumare is his father
Orunmila is omniscient
Orunmila is wise
Orunmila is the second after Olodumare
Orunmila holds all knowledge, wisdom and understanding of the universe

Orunmila a gbe wa o, Ase!
y is orunmila known in just a part of Nigeria.
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by macof(m): 8:27am On Oct 30, 2013
Divepen:
y is orunmila known in just a part of Nigeria.

Orunmila is known all over the universe
we Yoruba call him Orunmila, others that know him have a different name for him.

Ps: Orunmila is well known in South American countries and USA
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 30, 2013
macof:

Orunmila is known all over the universe
we Yoruba call him Orunmila, others that know him have a different name for him.

Ps: Orunmila is well known in South American countries and USA
please tell me what good he has ever done...tell me how he has saved people's life because i ave many wotnesses from christains
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by asco15(m): 8:39am On Oct 30, 2013
Have u eva seen d looks on an athiest face wen they r about 2 die?
Confusion and fear is in dia face.
D fear of meeting dia creator, if he exist as said. I pity dem 4 such risk, though its nt still too late 4 dos dat stil want 2 make heaven @ last.
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by fadosky607(m): 9:50am On Oct 30, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Also....the reason you dont believe in Allah, Thor, Zeus and Osiris is the reason I dont believe in your God. So at a point, we are the same.

I bliv in all those gods u just mentioned and am pretty sure all Christians bliv in them too. The only thing is that I don't have faith in them and so don't worship them, likewise all other Christians. The bible even says the demons believe in God and they tremble-James 2:19. So u see my dear, we know such gods exist but we don't worship them! But u atheists just don't want to bliv despite all the evidence. U just don't wanna be accountable to anyone and so u choose liberalness...
Re: Even Atheist Fear God by fadosky607(m): 10:02am On Oct 30, 2013
Let me ask all the atheists just these few questions. Is it that u bliv there's no God or u just don't wann acknowledge him? If u don't bliv there's God, do u also not bliv there's Satan? Or is it that u don't bliv in anything supernatural? If u don't bliv in the supernatural, how then do u explain such things as magic, and other things like native bullet proof where bulet doesn't penetrate the skin of one who's having such powers?

PS: pls make sure to answer all of that. Take one point at a time, instead of just clumsily answering all together...

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Was Assaulted By Security Men Of St John's Anglican Church, Ikoyi. / It Singing Clapping And Dancing Part Of Worship Let The Bible Speak / How Can We Know Which Parts Of The Bible Apply To Us Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.