Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death (18087 Views)

Houseboy Sentenced To Death For Killing Ogun Magistrate (Photo) / Man Arrested After Beating 2 Policemen In Abuja / Couple Chained Houseboy To Death. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by emmabest2000(m): 3:00pm On Oct 29, 2013
AnOlAd: Every time now but menh some of these helps are agent of the Devil ooo, am telling u, u really really really need the patience of God to deal with them, if you get easily frustrated don't take an house help ooo biko, no matter how good u are to them, they have been designed to frustrate, the thought of having one again is sooo scary... all of you that come here to complain am sure una never jam house help wahala...
Dudu you have said it all grin
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Orikinla(m): 3:02pm On Oct 29, 2013
They deserve capital punishment.
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Okijajuju1(m): 3:06pm On Oct 29, 2013
Pukkah: A Lagos High Court in Ikeja on Monday sentenced  27 years  old Mrs. Chiamaka Nnajiofor to 10 years imprisonment for flogging her house maid to death.

The court commuted the murder charge preferred against the woman to manslaughter, while it discharged and acquitted her 41-year-old husband, Elochukwu Nnajiofor.

They had both pleaded not guilty to the murder charge preferred against them by the Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecution.

Justice Lateefat Okunnu, in her judgment on Monday, ruled that Chiamaka’s sentence would commence from the day she was arraigned along with her husband on September 22, 2011.

The couple was charged with murder for beating their 14-year-old houseboy, Oliver Arakwe, to death on August 17, 2010.

The incident was said to have occurred at the couple’s residence at 81, Femi Tella Street, Ago Palace Way, Okota, Lagos.

Delivering her judgment, Okunnu held that the prosecution, led by Mr. Femi Adamson, had failed to connect Elochukwu with the alleged crime with the various testimonies and exhibits that were before the court.

Okunnu held, “The evidential burden against the second defendant is very weak. There is nothing to show that he was part of the flogging his wife instigated that day and available evidence indicated that he was not in the apartment when it happened.”

The judge also held that that the prosecution was unable to prove the charge of murder against the two of them.

http://www.punchng.com/news/houseboys-death-wife-jailed-10-years-for-manslaughter/

All I saw was that a Man has been granted forceful divorce by the Government... grin

Picks up phone upon release and calls his side chick (now promoted to main chick)... grin
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Okijajuju1(m): 3:10pm On Oct 29, 2013
25omega: so did they perform an autopsy on the poor boy's body? how the heck do you flog someone to death and get only 10 years? i can't imagine how long she had been beating that boy until his body couldn't take it anymore and he just died. His parents should definitely file a wrongful death civil case against them so they can collect all the money that family will ever make.

Sometimes all it takes is one incident for a person to die..

I still remember how my aunty died in secondary school from an arguement. They didnt even touch each other. Just yelling at each other and she slumped right before my eyes. She was declared DOA at the hospital she was rushed to.

I still remember how the other teacher was crying and rolling like she had killed someone. I still remember how the family member (my aunts family) almost lynched the woman at the funeral.

All I am saying my guy is that this may have been the one and only time she resorted to beating the kid.
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by fruityjojo(f): 3:11pm On Oct 29, 2013
tensor777:
You know what was her intention? She certainly deserves to be caged for life both for reribution and to serve as a deterrent to other Nigerian women who systematically maltreat their househelps.
Noo don't think it was her intention 2 kill d boy. Its now left 4 d family of d boy 2 file a Civil Suit against d woman & her husband.
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 29, 2013
Okija_juju:
Sometimes all it takes is one incident for a person to die..
I still remember how my aunty died in secondary school from an arguement. They didnt even touch each other. Just yelling at each other and she slumped right before my eyes. She was declared DOA at the hospital she was rushed to.
I still remember how the other teacher was crying and rolling like she had killed someone. I still remember how the family member (my aunts family) almost lynched the woman at the funeral.
ll I am saying my guy is that this may have been the one and only time she resorted to beating the kid.

You know you are just speculating. undecided Actually it was far more serious than this.
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Lilimax(f): 3:14pm On Oct 29, 2013
tensor777:
Actually the culprit is a woman and the victim was a 14 year old boy who was systematically starved and brutally beaten until he died.
Get your facts right.
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by gerald09(m): 3:15pm On Oct 29, 2013
AnOlAd: Every time now but menh some of these helps are agent of the Devil ooo, am telling u, u really really really need the patience of God to deal with them, if you get easily frustrated don't take an house help ooo biko, no matter how good u are to them, they have been designed to frustrate, the thought of having one again is sooo scary... all of you that come here to complain am sure una never jam house help wahala...
Really!!! I bet u were among does dat supported the living faith dude for hitting d 11 year old child and accuse her of witchcraft. Am sad for our children cos we have grown ups dat fink dey deserve dis kind of ill treatment. Imagine if it was ur own child or na only poor people children dey get witch inside dem?

5 Likes

Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Okijajuju1(m): 3:16pm On Oct 29, 2013
tensor777:

You know you are just speculating. undecided Actually it was far more serious than this.

Unless you are an insider, then you are also speculating.

And yes you are right, the use of the word 'MAY' automatically means I am not certain of my position. But it doesnt make it any less possible. People have been known to die from 1 punch.[/b]
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 29, 2013
fruityjojo: Noo don't think it was her intention 2 kill d boy.

Shey dem dey prosecute case for mere intention? The degree of recklessness involved is a significant factor that contributes to determining guilt or otherwise in this kind of homicide case. No be you say you be lawyer. ABEG COMMOT THERE!!!
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Ninapha(f): 3:26pm On Oct 29, 2013
If i jam, i will simply send him/her home. Its not by force. The problem is most pple are mean to househelps. Look at it this way, how wd u treat ur own child if he is stuborn, possessed or even mad! God forbid but yet any mother wd go to all churches and conselln to salvage her/him. Why kill anothers' cos of useless reason! Shioor.

2 Likes

Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Okijajuju1(m): 3:26pm On Oct 29, 2013
tensor777:

She dem dey prosecute case for mere intention? The degree of recklessness involved is a significant factor that contributes to determining guilt or otherwise in this kind of homicide case. No be you say you be lawyer. ABEG COMMOT THERE!!!

You seem to know so much about this case.

How about you furnish us with what you know and how you came to know about this case. Are you a relative, neighbour or is your information from a third party?
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Chartey(m): 3:28pm On Oct 29, 2013
You take a child from his/her family and take him/her to a new environment and living an unfamiliar life and you expect him/her not to misbehave once in a while? Even your children who have lived with you all their lives misbehave sometimes. People have to understand that child house helps can't fit into their pictures of 'a perfect child' and so must be lovingly and patiently corrected when they err(according to the employer). If they can't be that patient, then they should employ adult helps.
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by engrfcuksmtin(m): 3:31pm On Oct 29, 2013
Bpriest: stating the truth is not being tribalistic or ethnocentric. Igbos don't treat their employees well.fact.
My friend it is Nigerian thing not igbo alone. Igbos are more into hiring helps because of their enterprises but we are all guilty of maltreating our employees.

1 Like

Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 29, 2013
Okija_juju:
You seem to know so much about this case.
How about you furnish us with what you know and how you came to know about this case. Are you a relative, neighbour or is your information from a third party?
Come on Okija you can do better. Just google the names to get more background about the case.
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by leonshom(m): 3:33pm On Oct 29, 2013
L.M Ayedun..:
Just 10yrs?
I thought killing equals death penalty?

R I P young dude.
Not a Murder,its Manslaughter !
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by mfm04622: 3:38pm On Oct 29, 2013
Etumgbe: Only 10yrs?
Found guilty of manslaughter, not murder. 10 years is enough punishment
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Okijajuju1(m): 3:45pm On Oct 29, 2013
tensor777:
Come on Okija you can do better. Just google the names to get more background about the case.

I just did hommie, all I see is the same news.
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by troy20(m): 3:51pm On Oct 29, 2013
beside all that feminine wiles n charms lies a dark pit of hell in a womans heart.you know a good woman by how she treats a maid.beside which right thinking man givs out a child 4 a maid in naija dis days no mata wat?
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by vivaciousvivi(f): 3:53pm On Oct 29, 2013
wellmax: Serves them right. If you can't treat them as your own children, don't keep them as house-helps.

True Talk!
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by dabossman(m): 3:58pm On Oct 29, 2013
My first thought was "just 10 years?" But when you think about it, manslaughter may just have been the best the prosecution could have done, especially when you consider that we do not really have the capacity to prove what went down or that there was intent to kill. we don't have forensics that could help to recreate the events of the crime scene. Even the autopsy might work in the defendants favour if it show that it was one deadly blow to a vital organ i.e the head that killed the boy and not a prolonged session of flogging.

I strongly believe that we must enforce the child labour laws in this country. If you need a maid, employ someone above 18. if you are too scared or too insecure to employ an adult then quit your job and cater to your own home. And I'm not just referring to wives.

That said, I bet the when this couple were taking their wedding vows, they never considered 'till jail do us part"

RIP young, unfortunate lad.

1 Like

Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 29, 2013
dabossman: My first thought was "just 10 years?" But when you think about it, manslaughter may just have been the best the prosecution could have done, especially when you consider that we do not really have the capacity to prove what went down or that there was intent to kill. we don't have forensics that could help to recreate the events of the crime scene. Even the autopsy might work in the defendants favour if it show that it was one deadly blow to a vital organ i.e the head that killed the boy and not a prolonged session of flogging.
I strongly believe that we must enforce the child labour laws in this country. If you need a maid, employ someone above 18. if you are too scared or too insecure to employ an adult then quit your job and cater to your own home. And I'm not just referring to wives.
That said, I bet the when this couple were taking their wedding vows, they never considered 'till jail do us part"
RIP young, unfortunate lad.
Again you are just speculating. Do you know the nature of the evidence that was put before Justice Okunnu? Presumably for the woman to have been charged with murder the prosecutor must have had sufficient circumstantial evidence.There does not have to be intent to kill to secure conviction in a homicide case.
As for the rest laudable as they are its not going to happen anytime soon. The culture of indentured child slavery is too well entrenched in Nigeria.
That has to change.
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by eightsin(m): 4:17pm On Oct 29, 2013
These people must be very wealthy to have bagged only 10years for manslaughter.

1 Like

Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by dabossman(m): 4:33pm On Oct 29, 2013
tensor777:
Again you are just speculating. Do you know the nature of the evidence that was put before Justice Okunnu? Presumably for the woman to have been charged with murder the prosecutor must have had sufficient circumstantial evidence.There does not have to be intent to kill to secure conviction in a homicide case.
As for the rest laudable as they are its not going to happen anytime soon. The culture of indentured child slavery is too well entrenched in Nigeria.
That has to change.

Of course we are all just speculating and trying to analyze or postulate why a murder charge couldn't stick. We were not at the scene of the incident, neither were we in the courtroom to listen to the arguments of both parties. However, the judge did pronounce that there was not enough evidence to proclaim a guilty verdict for murder. All we are doing is trying to determine why murder didn't stick, the same way we would analyse a football match even though we weren't at the players training or in their locker room.

And while I agree that there doesn't have to be intent to kill to secure a conviction in a homicide case, you have to agree that a motive or premeditated intent would help to get a sure conviction. Otherwise, the defense can get a more lenient judgement like manslaughter in this case.
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 29, 2013
dabossman:

However, the judge did pronounce that there was not enough evidence to proclaim a guilty verdict for murder.
Now look here Boss Man when the story first broke in the media there was all manner of gruesome photographs of lacerated bodies and neighbours' harrowing stories of the convicted woman's systematic cruelty towards her 2 houseboys. IT WAS ALL OVER THE MEDIA! So I don't know why Justice Okunnu did not consider this prima facie evidence to cage the Chiamaka lady for life undecided

1 Like

Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 29, 2013
Only ten years?
If it were her son wouldn't she want more than that?
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by everyday: 5:22pm On Oct 29, 2013
She is lucky she did not face death penalty
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by dabossman(m): 5:24pm On Oct 29, 2013
tensor777:
Now look here Boss Man when the story first broke in the media there was all manner of gruesome photographs of lacerated bodies and neighbours' harrowing stories of the convicted woman's systematic cruelty towards her 2 houseboys. IT WAS ALL OVER THE MEDIA! So I don't know why Justice Okunnu did not consider this prima facie evidence to cage the Chiamaka lady for life undecided

Now, now Tensor777, you do know that a Judge will not base his judgement on what was splashed on the pages of newspapers, but on evidence that was tendered in court. Now, you are also speculating that these pictures were tendered as evidence. Truth is I would have preferred a murder conviction too, but that's not what the lady got.
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Ninapha(f): 5:52pm On Oct 29, 2013
Let me say it straight, manslaughter or womanslaughter, how many times hv u heard or seen these women out of anger kill their own childrem.

Its pure intolerance, selfishness and lack of emphaty/milk of motherhood towards ur ward. What if she has used cane on his palm or withdrw some priviledges for sometime. Its more like we see our maids like animals. So sad.

2 Likes

Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by Reference(m): 6:14pm On Oct 29, 2013
Honestly I just feel that violence by women in Nigeria is treated with kids gloves. I've visited households where these minors are visciously abused even in full view of visitors and in one of those cases the lady complains of husband maltreatment. Sad.
Re: Woman Jailed For 10 Years After Beating Houseboy To Death by AHA1(m): 6:51pm On Oct 29, 2013
IF SHE COMES OUT ALIVE AFTER HER JAIL TERMS, THE FAMILY OF THE DEAD BOY SHOULD SET UP THEIR OWN COURT AND EXECUTE THE WOMAN FOR MURDER.

many igbo women are wicked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Arraign Six Robbery Suspects Who Raided Commercial Bank In Ondo [photos] / PDP Supporter Shot Dead In Gboko, Benue State (PHOTOS) / Pastor Arrested In Imo For Robbery & Kidnapping Of Baby Boy (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.