Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,432 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful (3416 Views)

ASUU Strike: FG Summons Vice-Chancellors To Abuja For Crucial Meeting / FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala / Latest On ASUU Strike: FG In Talks With ASUU On Strike – Maku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by ifeanyija(m): 7:30am On Oct 29, 2013
Government and the Academic Staff Union of
Universities (ASUU) will meet today in a last ditch
efforts to resolve the lingering crisis in the University
System.

As a prelude to the meeting scheduled for 10.00a.m
today, the Federal Government was locked in a meeting with the Vice Chancellors of the federal universities for about two hours on Monday.

Supervising Minister of Education, Mr Nyesom Wike,
after the closed door meeting declined comment to
newsmen, but told journalists that the government
would be meeting with the leadership of ASUU today.

Wike, who chaired the meeting held at the auditorium
of the National Universities Commission (NUC), had said the meeting was a normal interaction with the vice chancellors.

Before the commencement of the meeting, Wike
excused journalists, personal assistants, his aides and all others, except the vice chancellors, ostensibly to
prevent leakage of their deliberations.

However, Nigerian Tribune gathered that the meeting
was to see how the universities that have been shut for
about four months now could be reopened to students
as well as fine-tune discussion on the position of the
government against the meeting with ASUU today.

Wike had last week assured that the protracted strike
would soon be called off based on the outcome of the
last parley with ASUU leadership.

Nigerian Tribune had reported that based on the fresh
agreement between the Federal Government and ASUU, the leadership of ASUU was to go back to brief its members at a meeting after the Eid-el-kabir
celebration.

It was gathered, on Monday, that the meeting today
would afford the ASUU to report to the government
about the position of the union on the offers by the
Federal Government so far.

The fresh accord struck by the Vice-President Namadi
Sambo with the union, government had agreed to
increase the N30 billion already released for the
payment of academic earned allowance to N40 billion.

According to sources, the government also agreed that
the N40 billion should be regarded only as first
instalment, and not a once-and-for-all payment.

The memorandum drafted at the of the meeting
indicated that the government would top it up with
further releases once universities are through with the
disbursement of N40 million.

Accordingly, vice chancellors were urged to expedite
the disbursement within the shortest possible time using guiding templates that have been sent by the
Committee of Vice Chancellors to them.

On the implementation of the Needs Assessment to
Nigerian Universities report, it was stated that the
government was cognisant and mindful of the ability of
universities to effectively and efficiently utilise the
N100 billion fund immediately, hence that figure.
“However, in addition to this N100 billion dedicated and already to be made available for 2013, N200 billion
(increased from N150 billion previously agreed) will now be earmarked in the 2014 budget, as well as each of the following three-four years until the universities are brought to world-class standard.

Also, on project prioritisation, universities would now
be allowed to determine their priorities and not be
“rail-roaded” into implementing a pre-determined set
of projects with respect to the NEEDS assessment.
Decisions are not to be centralised.

The government also assured that the operations of the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) would not be impaired, and that the regular TETFund intervention disbursement to universities woul continue, unaffected.

“So, the NEEDS assessment capital outlays are in
addition to regular TETFund intervention.”

Although, the President of ASUU, Dr Nasir Isa Fagge,
could not confirm the willingness of ASUU to attend
today’s meeting, but the Nigerian Tribune gathered that zonal meetings of ASUU in their various universities were held last week to collate opinion of the members of the government offers.

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=129220
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by otipoju(m): 7:39am On Oct 29, 2013
Abeg end the strike!Make all these my cousins come dey go back! Dem too dey consume food. Sleep, wake, eat, play game, eat again,play football,play or talk to girl for night for night as the case may be, eat and sleep again.
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by Marvyx(m): 8:08am On Oct 29, 2013
I hope diz peeps re not joking with their uncle...well make una wait 1st make i take my october salary...
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 29, 2013
Marvyx: I hope diz peeps re not joking with their uncle...well make una wait 1st make i take my october salary...
baddest guy!! the way u dey do, e be like u know want make the strike end grin
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 29, 2013
We r al hear insultin ASUU & FG bt let me ask hw many of us hv prayed abt it 2 GOD?!!!
Or u tink nfin consin GOD

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by ayodeji752: 9:05am On Oct 29, 2013
mr.ceo63:
We r al hear insultin ASUU & FG bt let me ask hw many of us hv prayed abt it 2 GOD?!!!
d most stewpid post of all times

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by phil5(m): 9:39am On Oct 29, 2013
Meeting nor won end ,mean while in other news am doing great with this strike as money dey flowwwwWwwwwwww
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by cupid4ig(m): 9:44am On Oct 29, 2013
ayodeji752: d most stewpid post of all times
sorry to say but ur post isnthe stewpid one, do u even think b4 u comment? Yes he asked how many of us has prayed tk God aboutbthis strike. The bible said that if God does not guide city that the watchmen (security men) are watching in vain. It is just like praying to god in the times of need cos u believe he has the power to change every situation. Seriously u need help

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by Afrobasic(m): 10:31am On Oct 29, 2013
These people need to be flogged

Spewing the same garbage over and over again, like we(the students) are dummies.

I recall 3 months ago, they said the same 'soon', 3 months later, still the same 'soon' undecided angry
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by Licensed2Kill(m): 10:32am On Oct 29, 2013
mr.ceo63:
teach a man how to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime.
Give him a religion and he will starve to death while prayin for a fish.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by tunex23: 11:17am On Oct 29, 2013
I will yarn later....hustle Still in progress, Money must be made!
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by amlos007(m): 11:19am On Oct 29, 2013
Na today,e don tay no be today.in 2face voice
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by PatEinstEin(m): 11:28am On Oct 29, 2013
*yawns*
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by PatEinstEin(m): 11:30am On Oct 29, 2013
Back to sleep jare, wake me when d strike is called off grin
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by Damlesky(m): 11:37am On Oct 29, 2013
cupid4ig: sorry to say but ur post isnthe stewpid one, do u even think b4 u comment? Yes he asked how many of us has prayed tk God aboutbthis strike. The bible said that if God does not guide city that the watchmen (security men) are watching in vain. It is just like praying to god in the times of need cos u believe he has the power to change every situation. Seriously u need help
mr.ceo63:
you are both sick

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by Damlesky(m): 11:41am On Oct 29, 2013
Seriously we suppose carry cutlasses, sticks, catapults etc go attack them for Aso Ebi (sorry Rock). Make we destroy everything we come across if that is possible maybe them go get time for students.
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by ayodeji752: 12:01pm On Oct 29, 2013
cupid4ig: sorry to say but ur post isnthe stewpid one, do u even think b4 u comment? Yes he asked how many of us has prayed tk God aboutbthis strike. The bible said that if God does not guide city that the watchmen (security men) are watching in vain. It is just like praying to god in the times of need cos u believe he has the power to change every situation. Seriously u need help
second most silly post of all times. U are gonna pray till thy kingdom comes while ur government will keep on embezzling d money till d end of time
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by chaarly(m): 2:16pm On Oct 29, 2013
D meeting eyaf not finish? Am jez picturing 2days evening news . . Thus:
ASUU SUSPENDS STRIKE! Wit sum riders
¤ urges lecturers to resume classes
¤ says talks wit FG fruitful
¤ students to resume 1st November. #optimistic#

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 29, 2013
chaarly: D meeting eyaf not finish? Am jez picturing 2days evening news . . Thus:
ASUU SUSPENDS STRIKE! Wit sum riders
¤ urges lecturers to resume classes
¤ says talks wit FG fruitful
¤ students to resume 1st November. #optimistic#
br0s,abeg wake up.
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by fabby26(m): 3:18pm On Oct 29, 2013
mr.ceo63:

Nigeria is the only country where the same people casting and binding the devils tormenting our progress as a nation are even the Devils themselves pulling us back. They will even pray more than you on Sunday services only to go back and continue with their evil ways. No wonder we're termed the most prayerful nation,yet things are not changing. If you combine only my pastor's prayer with all the prayers across different denominations, you'll find out it is more than enough to change the course of this nation.And when you criticize, you're already being taken as an ANTI-CHRIST. We keep on treating the symptoms and not the ailment itself, so how do you expect the ailment to go. Nigeria is too religious to my liking, everybody forming sanctimonious. I tire for this country
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by tunex23: 3:47pm On Oct 29, 2013
fabby26:

Nigeria is the only country where the same people casting and binding the devils tormenting our progress as a nation are even the Devils themselves pulling us back. They will even pray more than you on Sunday services only to go back and continue with their evil ways. No wonder we're termed the most prayerful nation,yet things are not changing. If you combine only my pastor's prayer with all the prayers across different denominations, you'll find out it is more than enough to change the course of this nation.And when you criticize, you're already being taken as an ANTI-CHRIST. We keep on treating the symptoms and not the ailment itself, so how do you expect the ailment to go. Nigeria is too religious to my liking, everybody forming sanctimonious. I tire for this country
Gbam!
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by engrfcuksmtin(m): 6:58pm On Oct 29, 2013
The meeting never end?
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by BCELLS(m): 7:04pm On Oct 29, 2013
engrfcuksmtin: The meeting never end?
Alas,the meeting was fruitful but they are currently popping champaign,they will be through any moment from now to divulge the long awaited good news to the press.Hang on
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by Ollybarbie219(f): 7:15pm On Oct 29, 2013
B_CELLS: Alas,the meeting was fruitful but they are currently popping champaign,they will be through any moment from now to divulge the long awaited good news to the press.Hang on
tales by moonlight
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by ignis: 8:35pm On Oct 29, 2013
This strike is becoming something else.
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by Haryoryhemie(f): 9:41pm On Oct 29, 2013
Right now, Ȋ̝̊̅ don't thinks there will be any news as Ģ☺☺ď as "ASUU CALLS OFF STRIKE"
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by Damlesky(m): 11:09pm On Oct 29, 2013
ASUU has em em em
wetin i wan type sef
Re: ASUU Strike: Fg In Crucial Meeting With ASUU Today •‘talks With Vcs Fruitful by abfan(m): 12:36am On Oct 30, 2013
**yawns**...... Blaah blaah bllllaaaaaaahhh...... This is the same news we have been hearing for four months now....abi na today

(1) (Reply)

Uniport Pulled Out Of The Ongoing Strike By ASUU. / Everything About Lizzy Are Lies - Ex Classmate / Please Advice, My 15years Old Son Was Rejected By LASU Based On Age

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.