Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,743 members, 7,844,442 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Nigeria’s Weak & Corrupt Judiciary System Is Affecting Development - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Weak & Corrupt Judiciary System Is Affecting Development (1106 Views)

Saraki-led Senate Is Weak, Corrupt – TMG / Supreme Court Jugdment For Rivers State, My View Of The Judiciary System. / Step-by-step Cracks In Our Judiciary System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Weak & Corrupt Judiciary System Is Affecting Development by Ckariam: 8:19am On Oct 29, 2013
Posted by: Chuks Ineh , October 29, 2013
The reflections of my visit to Owerri prisons recently will never leave my mind, especially when a prison warder cheerfully showed me the information on the board behind the old and untidy reception area. The figures clearly indicated to me that there was something terribly wrong with our judiciary system in Nigeria. It provided accurate statistics that instead of justice, the opposite is the case. The number of inmates actually serving their time as convicted criminals was in hundreds. Then the chunk number of occupants of the prison were those awaiting trial or those whose cases are still being treated indefinitely in court rooms.

Immediately I asked myself what exactly is the judiciary doing to help Nigeria to be better?. Stories of how lack of money deprived an innocent man justice and freedom abound. I know that money influences corrupt Judges and lawyers and that their tenacious acclaim to be men of great academic repute is only a strategy for perpetuating evil and intimidating the weak.
A judge who without human sentiments will allow another man spend time in confinement even after sensing that the accused is innocent just because he could not afford to bribe his way to freedom, is the person who truly deserve to be locked up here on earth and hereafter.

The truth hurts, and it is only the evil ones in the judiciary system that will be offended by my position on this matter. For those who may attempt to conspire against me for writing this down, I am not afraid of you, because you are nothing but dust like me, and your mortal powers have limitations. One thing I know for a surety is that truth will always triumph over lies. And all those who have used their temporal privileges to intimidate, to set up, and imprison the innocent must have their reward. Why should a case in court take such a long time before reaching a verdict? If there is no evidence against the person, why unjustly detain a Nigerian talent?

Justice demands that penalty be paid for crimes committed against humanity or the state. Bear in mind that I am not an advocate of anarchy, neither am I agitating for the elimination of prisons, far from that.
We have witnessed history repeat itself over and over again how the innocent are thrown into prisons, while the guilty and wicked move about freely in the society. We also know that due to allegiance to certain authorities and groups, and with people in power in high places, it is easy to alter the destiny of a good man briefly by corrupt lawyers, police prosecutors and judges. We have also seen that those who endure well this false trials and injustice become triumphant at the end, either in this life or after they are gone.

The power of the judiciary is to interpret law, it is an arm of government independent and with enormous powers. The judiciary to me is the custodian of justice and has the same capability like the executive and legislative in ensuring development in Nigeria.
If proper checks and balances are maintained, if corrupt politicians are dealt with according to law without fear or favor, there will be great improvement in human development. The constitution of Nigeria is supreme, nobody is above it and all must be subject to it. All must be governed within the tenets of the law. Many people in Nigeria feel that they have arrived to a state of constitutional independence, that the law is no longer for them, that they are above the law. Such stupid feelings should never be allowed to possess their minds in the first place, how much more retain their mindset. Who on earth is above the law? Nobody!

I foresee a time when all those whose conduct and pride is in complete disharmony with our fundamental human rights, when all those in position of trust to protect the integrity of the constitution but betrayed it, all those who have carefully denied the innocent justice because of poverty will be brought to book. Nigeria will one day surprise the entire world by prosecuting the true offenders, Nigeria will one day confiscate the properties of all corrupt politicians and judges who have acquired ill gotten wealth at the expense of the Nigerian people, Nigeria will one day be the giant of Africa in matters of justice and anti corruption crusade. Where no man or woman will go free after committing a crime because the person has money. It is only when judges are corrupt that evil and wickedness, even injustice reaches its peak.

We need to look into the judiciary system, a complete overhaul is necessary. Let the judiciary take its rightful place as a strong force, an independent arm in governance. Let men who are above reproach, whose Interest is not the filthy lucre, who can without fear or favor demonstrate the power of law as an instrument of equality and equity.
A lot of young lawyers are graduating everyday who after training can not boast of any serious campaign against the ills of society. Who as learned as they foolishly assume become incapacitated before a common SSCE holder police man whose heart is filled with crime. A lawyer whose voice is not heard in public or private teaching the people their rights, empowering them with knowledge. A lawyer who only desires to grow through the rank, receive training by his corrupt seniors, master the tactics used in implementing injustice and perpetrating corruption. Woe to all such lawyers who have selfishly absconded from the true cause of their calling, whose interests is to amass wealth, look good at the expense of truth and justice. Are you not pained with what you are seeing as wrong and out of order? Why are you then all of a sudden quiet? Who do you think will fight this battle for justice in this state?

For all those who love truth and justice, for all those who cherish freedom and fairness, be you a learned man or unlearned, let us rise together not as crude folks but as noble and intelligent beings and fight against this evil. We shall only lose this battle if we do nothing and keep quiet.
The majority of us are tired of the corrupt system and we shall be victorious in our quest to see transformation, we shall be glad to see a land where the guilty pay for their crimes and the innocent walk freely with their heads high, this is partially possible when the judiciary is not corrupt. I may not have visited other prisons in Nigeria, but I do not suppose that the case will be different there, the Owerri Prisons can serve as a case study and example of the weakness in our Judiciary system.

As for what goes on in the prison and their living conditions. Let us leave that for another day.

Source: Chuks Ineh- chuksineh.com

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Weak & Corrupt Judiciary System Is Affecting Development by leksgcfr(m): 11:52am On Oct 29, 2013
Your piece is spot on and highly commendable.
However, you got it wrong too by not taking into cognizance certain factors that could necessarily be millitating against the quick dispensation of justice. No doubt, lawyers are sometimes culpable ,the judiciary inclusive. But if you are aware of the pranks being played by litigants as well; the inability of getting sufficient evidence coupled with some unbearable circumstance beffaling the system, then you 'll realise that it demands collective actions from all. The good news however is that these problems are insurmountable. Someday, our Legal system will be proud of by Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

2015, Sina Kawonise For Governor Of Ogun State. / Okorocha’s Humiliation: Apologise Or… – Imo Youths To Charly Boy / Mbu, Manko, 17 Others Become Aigs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.