Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,243 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? (24580 Views)

Pls, How Is The Job Market For Recent Geographic Information Systems (gis) Graduates / Expansion Of The Geographic Information Systems (gis) Field In Nigeria. / G.i.s Geographic Information Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by theSpark(m): 8:05pm On Oct 09, 2014
PalmTree:

Please I am sorry for not coming back to sort your questions, work has been hectic and I never got your mail.

Thanks for being ready to help. I've overcome the problem of finding maps. I'm currently about to begin geospatial analysis. I will be delving into landscape metrics soon. AWMSI etc, I will mail you when I run into any problem especially with that Spatial Analyst extention.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by uokide: 8:14pm On Oct 09, 2014
[quote author=PalmTree post=26980030]

What is your discipline? Remote sensing is the science of generating data from the earth using space based satellites. But what we do for starters is Digital Image Processing(developing info from the images taken from outer space).

I read geology,pls sir , i want to know the application of satellite remote sensing and the relationship between gis and remote sensing
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 9:08pm On Oct 09, 2014
[quote author=uokide post=27006501][/quote]

Application of Remote Sensing is wide, I will recommend specialized training.

Remote Sensing is one of the numerous data capturing techniques in GIS. Other techniques include Aerial Photography and GPS.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 9:09pm On Oct 09, 2014
theSpark:

Thanks for being ready to help. I've overcome the problem of finding maps. I'm currently about to begin geospatial analysis. I will be delving into landscape metrics soon. AWMSI etc, I will mail you when I run into any problem especially with that Spatial Analyst extention.

Feel free anytime.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 9:18pm On Oct 09, 2014
okunfemm:

Send me on: okunfemm@gmail.com

The applications of GIS to Agricultue is very wide.

GIS is used to analyze soil quality and crop yield. Flood hazard management e.t.c.

There is an analysis called spatial interpolation. With this tool, you can analyze the soil structure, soil quality and soil suitability of a wide area with just the soil samples of few points.

It is usually hard to explain GIS applications to a "lay man" but I hope I have tried. Please if you need more explanation, I will be willing to do so but that will be later. Please bear with me.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by luckybest(m): 9:49pm On Oct 09, 2014
Am a student (geography) as well but i av been hearing abt GIs. Hw can i acquire dis knowledge. U can send me detail information abt the cost/time/skill to acquired on : tocem_ore@yahoomail.com .Tanks
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 10:04pm On Oct 09, 2014
luckybest:
Am a student (geography) as well but i av been hearing abt GIs. Hw can i acquire dis knowledge. U can send me detail information abt the cost/time/skill to acquired on : tocem_ore@yahoomail.com .Tanks

Mail Sent
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by luckybest(m): 7:11am On Oct 10, 2014
gud morning, pls av not receive d mail u send. Kindly resend 2:
tocem_ore@yahoo.com
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 7:52am On Oct 10, 2014
luckybest:
gud morning, pls av not receive d mail u send. Kindly resend 2:
tocem_ore@yahoo.com

Sent again
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by luckybest(m): 8:22am On Oct 10, 2014
Tanks. I av gotten it
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by uokide: 12:03pm On Oct 10, 2014
PalmTree:

Application of Remote Sensing is wide, I will recommend specialized training.

Remote Sensing is one of the numerous data capturing techniques in GIS. Other techniques include Aerial Photography and GPS.

i based in lagos .do u have an offfice i
lag? Or jus giv me some hightlight on d questions i sent to u.thanks
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 12:15pm On Oct 10, 2014
uokide:

i based in lagos .do u have an offfice i
lag? Or jus giv me some hightlight on d questions i sent to u.thanks

No, my office is at Ibadan, although I travel to Lagos frequently. I have not received and mail/questions from you.

1 Like

Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 6:52pm On Oct 23, 2014
GIS
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by okunfemm(m): 6:22am On Oct 24, 2014
PalmTree:
GIS

Keep it up/rolling
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 7:04am On Oct 24, 2014
okunfemm:

Keep it up/rolling

Thanks bro
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 06, 2014
PalmTree:

Mail Sent

emperormero@gmail.com needs it too... thank You.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 06, 2014
PalmTree:
Think future, think GIS!
emperormero@gmail.com
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by aghaibiam(f): 1:30pm On Nov 11, 2014
Please palm tree ,I need help.
I need to use gis show my study area on my project. Map of Nigeria showing the following locations,warri,Benin and asaba.please can you help me out,you can send reply to roniemet@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 1:37pm On Nov 12, 2014
aghaibiam:
Please palm tree ,I need help.
I need to use gis show my study area on my project. Map of Nigeria showing the following locations,warri,Benin and asaba.please can you help me out,you can send reply to roniemet@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks.

You got mail.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 3:50pm On Nov 16, 2014
GIS Training
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by okunfemm(m): 2:18pm On Nov 19, 2014
Happy GIS DAY
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by ibnSalaudeen(m): 6:02pm On Nov 29, 2014
PalmTree:
GIS Training
hello Mr PalmTree.
can we discuss away from here, maybe on Whatsaapp? my no's 07061523033
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Packup(m): 2:18pm On Dec 08, 2014
I have just gained admission to study geography in university of ibadan social science facaulty......plss i want to start preparing ,is there any books or site i can visit that relate to geography.......
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by dclone: 6:24am On Dec 09, 2014
It depends on ur line of study in geography.....tho at ur level now geo wld be taught on a general scale...there good pdf books u can get depending on ur course outine....be more internet friendly, dt shld hlp...wish u all the best..
Packup:
I have just gained admission to study geography in university of ibadan social science facaulty......plss i want to start preparing ,is there any books or site i can visit that relate to geography.......
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by dclone: 6:31am On Dec 09, 2014
Hello house,
am Bayo , a gis/remote sensing analyst.......if uve got any questions or problems regarding gis and remote sensing,, gis and remote sensing software, data and lots more kindly let me know, am only here to help..thanks
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Packup(m): 10:42am On Dec 09, 2014
dclone:
It depends on ur line of study in geography.....tho at ur level now geo wld be taught on a general scale...there good pdf books u can get depending on ur course outine....be more internet friendly, dt shld hlp...wish u all the best..
.....so you're saying that if i get to 200lv or 300lv i will choose between human and physical geography........but in my school they also have geography department in science facaulty
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by almaliki: 10:44am On Dec 09, 2014
dclone:
Hello house,
am Bayo , a gis/remote sensing analyst.......if uve got any questions or problems regarding gis and remote sensing,, gis and remote sensing software, data and lots more kindly let me know, am only here to help..thanks

i need step by step break down on web mapping....publishing ur ready made maps online...,,hope u don't mind sharing here...
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by dclone: 11:50pm On Dec 09, 2014
Web mapping..u mean web gis?....as regards dat, its a new phase of the gis world with the help of the cloud technology.... its shifted gis from the desktop environment to the cloud environment I.e the internet ..various app cld be used in publishing ur map, among te few are the arcgis online with a month tria version .u cld try the supergis also.
almaliki:

i need step by step break down on web mapping....publishing ur ready made maps online...,,hope u don't mind sharing here...
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by dclone: 11:54pm On Dec 09, 2014
Choosing btw dif field shld be I ur yr 4 or yr3....but shld ve ve an interest on what field wld u divert too....geo as a course as various field...with tym you wld understand better.
Packup:
.....so you're saying that if i get to 200lv or 300lv i will choose between human and physical geography........but in my school they also have geography department in science facaulty
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Packup(m): 1:45pm On Dec 10, 2014
dclone:
Choosing btw dif field shld be I ur yr 4 or yr3....but shld ve ve an interest on what field wld u divert too....geo as a course as various field...with tym you wld understand better.
.....thanks bro
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by avuekwe(f): 6:08pm On Dec 11, 2014
Can a chemistry graduate go for the GIS training? If yes, how much is it and what are the job prospects like?

my email addy is adhasarrived@yahoo.com
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 6:50pm On Dec 11, 2014
Sorry house, I have been busy of late. I sincerely appreciate Packup for his brilliant ideas and I urge people to listen to him as he seems like one who knows his onions. For the Chemistry graduate, yes you can undergo a GIS training but if you are not considering a career switch then your current or intended line of work must require GIS for me to recommend any training package. On the contrary, go online and research professional certification that will further your cause career wise.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria / Things You Should Never Share At Work / Yay!! Push Cv Just Congratulated Me!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.